Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 22, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #3,901 of 5,364
It becomes less of a "need" thing (as if there's really a necessity within this hobby - it's what you make of it) and more of a "want" thing. As in the want for different sigs. At some point the fine line between usability and incremental improvements get blurred.

It's absolutely fine if people want to get into it as it's their prerogative/preference. But it's absolutely not fine to make it out as anything other than personal preference. Rumors of audio nirvana from a $500 magic box are greatly exaggerated.

I've personally had enough portable amps to not care enough where I'm at the point where I've only kept an E5 and a E11. And the latter really sucks. They all really suck. Value is a moot point but the only ones I've heard as of recent that can be justified in terms of practicality and feature sets, are, guess what, the C5s and the UHA-6S MKIIs. 

So when people come to me to ask for amp recs I show them the door as I can't wholeheartedly put a recommendation into something I don't believe in anymore. 

That being said the bass on the FXZ200s are almost heavy enough to wash out the mids :p

I've followed the preamble on the CKS1000 thread with the graphs and the ink and the bok choi and the burning flames of purgatory. Just me stating an opinion but I'm inclined to side with the graphs at this point. No I'm not making them out as an absolute, merely a reference point. But the FR curve, in this case, correlates nicely with what I've heard out of the 1000s. Not that that's bad. They are stupendously textured and powerfully fun IEMs. So I look at it all in a positive light. And of course spectral decay, THD, haven't been brought out yet. So it's too early to say anything yet as it is.

Again, just an opinion amongst the sea of arseholes.

Crisp, decent low-end presence, AD700-reminiscent (keep in mind that I'm on the AD700-is-horribly-anemic side of the argument so take my reference point with a grain of salt) - well...

I'd think twice against anything in your choices other than maybe the K2 (which I haven't heard, only going by general impressions by others at this point). The 272s are too rounded of note to be considered crisp, UM3Xs are aggressive in the warm and powerful sort of sense, GR07s have the dynamics and edge on each not but they'd probably end up too bassy, the SE535s are extremely dull of note in comparison and just too mid-forward from what I'm assuming you're wanting. And have not heard the Alclairs.

Have you looked at the UE900s yet? Very crisp, bass presence is there and very linear and clean. Seems to mess well with your criteria, but with way more extension than the AD700s. 

I had not ill look around for them aswell, any others you can recommend?

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #3,903 of 5,364
Hi I'm after some noise isolating headphones mainly for bus rides etc
I listen to mainly drum and bass and other assorted broken beat genres

So far I've narrowed it down to shure srh440 or if I stretched my budget a little some ath m50's
From what I can gather though the srh440's can lack bass a bit

I am open to other suggestions, I'd rather over ear headphones as I am not a fan of in-ears

opinions?

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #3,904 of 5,364
I'm looking for a pair of in-ear phones (buds?).  They will be used portably, as well as in-home, so I don't need/want a full headset.

Features and uses, in order of priority:

Around $100~

Not USB-only; I need my mini stereo

For gaming (PC/PS3)
  1. Mostly RPGs and slow-progressing action-adventure (Dark Souls, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Bioshock, etc.)
  2. PS3 game audio output will be via a receiver, as PS3 ouputs only voice chat through USB
  3. Music for these games tends to vary between ambient and more aggressive instrumental, with plenty of serene and other instrumental thrown in.
  4. Good music greatly enhances the experience of these games, so it is important, but sound is also very important.  I need to be able to hear distant sounds such as footsteps, fired arrows, or a grunt from an approaching enemy before having seen them.

Voice chat, for both PS3 and PC games, as well as Vent, Skype, Teamspeak, etc.
  1. This is for audio-in only; mic is covered

Music (PC and phone)
  1. Various types of rock (a fair mix of both acoustic and bass-reliant)

Very highly preferable
  1. Cable comfortably wraps up and over the ear, as illustrated

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #3,905 of 5,364
Guys , this may not be the place , but I found the triple fi 10 for +-200 bucks , should I get it ? I mean i have no problem whatsoever with the short term fit and comfort , is this a good upgrade jumping up from shure se215?, I heard the cables dodgy

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #3,906 of 5,364
Hi Retrias, you could find the TF10 at ~100$ sometimes. Today at 200$ it is a little bit overpriced to my mind. Nevertheless (I tried both), the TF10 is better than the SE215 : although V shaped they have more details and fun. If you've 200$ for a new IEM pair perhaps could you find something even better.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #3,909 of 5,364
Hello all,

Music lover and noob here.

My musical tastes: Really all genres, rock to classical, pop to world music, jazz and standards.

Equipment: Etymotic mc-3 I've used with my iphone 4 and 5-I had a Dell DJ back in the mid 2000s. An old pair of technics speakers with an amp and FM receiver hooked up to my computer. Grew up with vinyl and cassettes but now have moved to CDs and especially digital downloads (to save space in my apartment).

Now I am in the market for new headphones or earphones. Main thing I got a bit tired with the silicon tips, foam I found much better. I was really impressed by some of the headphones I've tried in stores - the soundstage is very much larger than what I am used and the comfort is better. Really liked the B&W P3s but they are a bit out of my price range.

So I am looking at say 100-150$ or so. Two items have caught my eye by Logitech, the UE 4000 headphones the UE 600 IEMs. While I like the portability of the IEMs I am tempted by the larger headphones. Any recommendations? In particular I want to know how sound insulation is-the higher end headphones seems better than I thought (not talking about the noise cancelling ones). Also do the smaller headphones without their own batteries like the UE-4000 drain the batter significantly more than earbuds or IEMs?

Sorry I started a new thread should have deleted it can a mod delete this thread below?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660873/new-headphones-iems-ear-comfort-and-other-considerations

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #3,910 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi Retrias, you could find the TF10 at ~100$ sometimes. Today at 200$ it is a little bit overpriced to my mind. Nevertheless (I tried both), the TF10 is better than the SE215 : although V shaped they have more details and fun. If you've 200$ for a new IEM pair perhaps could you find something even better.

the prices seem to have stabilized recently on amazon, not sure about other sources or anything through slickdeals  http://camelcamelcamel.com/Ultimate-Ears-TripleFi-Isolating-Earphones/product/B0019RBJOE

Quote:
I've personally had enough portable amps to not care enough where I'm at the point where I've only kept an E5 and a E11. And the latter really sucks. They all really suck. Value is a moot point but the only ones I've heard as of recent that can be justified in terms of practicality and feature sets, are, guess what, the C5s and the UHA-6S MKIIs. 

Well seeing as how I was on the fence about an amp and don't really like my Beyer DT990s that much anyway (not to mention carrying it around) I'll hold off.  I read the e11 kind of crowds the sound stage which might undo some of what the Ortofons are kind of known for.  I understand the $ is probably better spent on the phones themselves.

Wayne, thanks for the recommendation but that sound signature does not look like something I will like.  I'm not taking sides in that argument and I'm not in a hurry,

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #3,912 of 5,364
I was told to come over here from AVSforum. I'm looking for some noise-canceling headphones that are good for air and bus travel. I've been recommended Bose for this purpose, but I have mixed feelings on purchasing anything from Bose. Any suggestions? Ideally looking to avoid IEM's, and my budget is at or below $100. Thanks in advance! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #3,913 of 5,364
Quote:
I was told to come over here from AVSforum. I'm looking for some noise-canceling headphones that are good for air and bus travel. I've been recommended Bose for this purpose, but I have mixed feelings on purchasing anything from Bose. Any suggestions? Ideally looking to avoid IEM's, and my budget is at or below $100. Thanks in advance! 
smily_headphones1.gif

How much do you value comfort? If not, try DT1350 or HD25-ii or amperiors. But Bose has good noise canceling but the SQ is so so.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #3,914 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi I'm after some noise isolating headphones mainly for bus rides etc
I listen to mainly drum and bass and other assorted broken beat genres

So far I've narrowed it down to shure srh440 or if I stretched my budget a little some ath m50's
From what I can gather though the srh440's can lack bass a bit

I am open to other suggestions, I'd rather over ear headphones as I am not a fan of in-ears

opinions?

As mentioned, most likely M50s or maybe the Q40/UE6000/DT770s if the price is flexible. The Shure are mid-centric and balanced, not at all aggressive.

Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of in-ear phones (buds?).  They will be used portably, as well as in-home, so I don't need/want a full headset.

Features and uses, in order of priority:

Around $100~

Not USB-only; I need my mini stereo

For gaming (PC/PS3)
  1. Mostly RPGs and slow-progressing action-adventure (Dark Souls, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Bioshock, etc.)
  2. PS3 game audio output will be via a receiver, as PS3 ouputs only voice chat through USB
  3. Music for these games tends to vary between ambient and more aggressive instrumental, with plenty of serene and other instrumental thrown in.
  4. Good music greatly enhances the experience of these games, so it is important, but sound is also very important.  I need to be able to hear distant sounds such as footsteps, fired arrows, or a grunt from an approaching enemy before having seen them.

Voice chat, for both PS3 and PC games, as well as Vent, Skype, Teamspeak, etc.
  1. This is for audio-in only; mic is covered

Music (PC and phone)
  1. Various types of rock (a fair mix of both acoustic and bass-reliant)

Very highly preferable
  1. Cable comfortably wraps up and over the ear, as illustrated

Positioning is difficult to describe for IEMs. As is soundstage. If you don't mind the lack of isolation (they are still over-ear style though), the EX600s have soundstaging and imaging in spades. Just have to stretch that budget a bit. Nothing else really has that sort of vast presentation apart from a few bass-excessive sets (effect is more of resonance than accuracy really). 

Anyways they do instrumentals and ambient quite well due to amazing timbre qualities. Depends on what you prefer sound sig wise for those genres in particular though. If you're willing to sacrifice lateral size there are a couple of other all-rounders music-wise.

Quote:
Guys , this may not be the place , but I found the triple fi 10 for +-200 bucks , should I get it ? I mean i have no problem whatsoever with the short term fit and comfort , is this a good upgrade jumping up from shure se215?, I heard the cables dodgy

$200 for the TF10s are laughable, no matter the location.

Quote:
i am looking for portable headphone or IEM that has similar sound signature like Sennheiser HD650.
The closest one that i ever tried is JVC HA-FXZ100.
Any advice? Thanks in advanced.

Budget? Preference in terms of comfort or isolation or build?
Personally do not find the JVCs to have a similar sig but the unique bass presentation adds layers that emulate a full-sized presentation in that sense. I'm not sure if you're mistaking/wanting one over another ATM. Because, and I do emphasize this, as much leeway as there is for subjectivity regarding sound, the note presentation (I'm sure many other owners will agree with me here) is nowhere near as laid-back or mellow as the HD650s.

Quote:
Hello all,

Music lover and noob here.

My musical tastes: Really all genres, rock to classical, pop to world music, jazz and standards.

Equipment: Etymotic mc-3 I've used with my iphone 4 and 5-I had a Dell DJ back in the mid 2000s. An old pair of technics speakers with an amp and FM receiver hooked up to my computer. Grew up with vinyl and cassettes but now have moved to CDs and especially digital downloads (to save space in my apartment).

Now I am in the market for new headphones or earphones. Main thing I got a bit tired with the silicon tips, foam I found much better. I was really impressed by some of the headphones I've tried in stores - the soundstage is very much larger than what I am used and the comfort is better. Really liked the B&W P3s but they are a bit out of my price range.

So I am looking at say 100-150$ or so. Two items have caught my eye by Logitech, the UE 4000 headphones the UE 600 IEMs. While I like the portability of the IEMs I am tempted by the larger headphones. Any recommendations? In particular I want to know how sound insulation is-the higher end headphones seems better than I thought (not talking about the noise cancelling ones). Also do the smaller headphones without their own batteries like the UE-4000 drain the batter significantly more than earbuds or IEMs?

Sorry I started a new thread should have deleted it can a mod delete this thread below?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660873/new-headphones-iems-ear-comfort-and-other-considerations

Well first off, while genres are helpful stating sound preferences, signatures, would be even more so. Even if you have no sig preference, stating the characteristics/qualities you would enjoy in sound other wise would still be more helpful.

Are the 4000s the on-ear versions? Can't remember the model numbering. In any case isolation is merely average from what I can remember of trying them on. Again not sure if either would be suited to your sound preferences, so not much to comment there. Also, it's more about the sensitivity and resistance on the phones rather than any onboard circuitry (rather I would be more worried about the batteries on the headphones draining quicker). The IEMs are usually more efficient so take from that what you will. Highly suggest reading up on impedance/headphone sensitivity - the Head-Fi wiki has one, as well as a couple of other sites.

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Noise-isolating, non-IEM - I'm not even sure of an ANC unit from Bose at that price so not sure what the others who recommended that were thinking, not to mention most active noise cancelling cans at that price, well quite frankly, suck. I've heard the Rockit Shields isolate quite admirable, though I've yet to hear them myself, so take with a grain of salt.

Quote:
i am looking for some new headphones, i like my music accurate and have narrowed my selection to 3 sets
Phonak PFE 112
Sony XBA3
Grado IgI

While simply stating accuracy is appreciated, stating sound sig preferences, or simply expanding on any other characteristics/qualities you might be looking for sound-wise, as well as non-sound-wise (comfort, isolation, build) would be immensely more helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back