Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 12, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #3,752 of 5,364
Hello folks, I'm in dire need of help!

My headphones cables always set out on kamikazi missions: they'll wrap themselves around doorknobs, pantry handles, armrests, my knee as I'm biking. They will often self-eject as I'm performing death-defying stunts on my rollerblades. Though they always make it through the day, it's wearing on them, slowly but surely, until they are no longer able to route sound adequately to my eardrums. One of the two always fails me after a few months of abuse. That's when I start to play around with them: I'll twist, pull, shift the position of my Galaxy Nexus in my pocket, play with the sleeves wrapped around my ear until my right to listen to music undisturbed is once again respected. 

I bought Shure's e215s during the summer last year, and I'm currently a few clicks away from ordering a third set of replacement cables. I am afraid of taking my Porta Pros outside with me as I know what fate awaits them... and the last time I sent them back to get them repaired (hurray lifetime warranty!), it took forever. I actually bought my e215s thinking that my PPs had been lost in the mail. In fact, aside from losing my headphones, all pairs I buy seem to be cursed with the inevitable one-ear syndrome. 

I have a dream: That there's a cable out there for me; Resilient, tenacious, flexible, unwavering, loyal.

I dream of army-grade headphone plugs. 

Is wireless the answer?

Help a brother out.

Thanks in advance.

(formalities: I listen to hip-hop, electro, jazz. Price point sub-250$ if possible)

Ever thought about a cable clip or running the cable thru the inside of your shirt? :p Wireless headphones are always a compromise IMO, they always charge a premium and they're rarely as good as even budget IEM costing half as much, maybe there's a hidden gem out there tho... I've only tried a handful of them.

Personally I prefer one of those wireless BT receivers (Sony MW1 or MW600, Samsung makes some too). They're tiny little things so you can clip them to your shirt collar, pants waistband, whatever. SQ's pretty good but if you're sitting still or out of battery you can just unplug and plug straight into the player, which is part of the appeal to me... Being about to use the headphones I already have and love.

Depending on where you decide to wear it you might prefer a short cable for the Shure, not sure if such a thing is available tho. Just a suggestion...

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #3,753 of 5,364
Quote:
The MH1C are undoubtedly the more comfortable one. While nozzles and shell size didn't really affect much of the comfort front, the tips they included did. The MH1C has some of the most comfortable tips available anywhere. The E10M mic was better than the one on my phone but that's not really saying much :D

Thanks man. I went for the regular E10 and it arrived yesterday. After some initial disappointment and fiddling (it took me like 15 minutes to get the smaller tips to fit on the phone - ridiculous!), luckily I managed to get a good seal with the smallest tips. Then, it was like a new realm of pleasure - so much more to hear than with the S4.

Although I wore them for a couple of hours yesterday and they were fine, I think the Klipsch were a bit better for comfort, which is about the only dimension that I prefer them now. I realise now just how overpowered the bass is and how it takes away from the detail with the S4.

One final question if you don't mind. The smallest stock tips with the E10 work fine for now, but you say that the Sony tips are better - would they fit the E10 if I could find some for cheap?

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #3,754 of 5,364
One final question if you don't mind. The smallest stock tips with the E10 work fine for now, but you say that the Sony tips are better - would they fit the E10 if I could find some for cheap?

Yes, they will fit the E10.

When you put tips on approach the nozzle from an angle, work on one side first. Once one side has grabbed you work the tip around until it goes on all the way. Sort of go in a circular motion and work the tip around.

Start off like this..

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #3,755 of 5,364
Hello peeps, I really would like to get the v-moda m-80 because i really like it's design and I would like it to be my on the go head phone. I know it has issues with isolation but it really is not a big deal with me, since I would just listen to it when I have a some free time like lunch breaks, and when I'm killing time in malls and coffee shops.

I'm more curious how it sounds and feels, but of course I have realized it's really hard to take people's reviews objectively since we have our own perceptions, physical designs and in addition I still doubt my confidence in really describing the sound.

Still, I really am curious and have an expectation with m-80. My only point of refernce though is brainwavz HM3 and I hope someone with the experience with the two cans or a familiarity with the sound signature can answer my questions. I really am satisfied with my HM3 and I have grown to really become cozy with it's sound despite it's short comings.

1) Does the M-80 have the same sound sig with the HM3 as in forward mids, a much better bass and the same or even a little much better treble with the HM3?

2) If I can withstand the HM3's discomforts like the pressure in my ears then I can also at least have the same or much improved comfort level with the M-80?

3) Can the M-80 be used as a good headphone for silent practice with bass guitar?

Thanks

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3,756 of 5,364
Quote:
Ever thought about a cable clip or running the cable thru the inside of your shirt?
tongue.gif
Wireless headphones are always a compromise IMO, they always charge a premium and they're rarely as good as even budget IEM costing half as much, maybe there's a hidden gem out there tho... I've only tried a handful of them.

Personally I prefer one of those wireless BT receivers (Sony MW1 or MW600, Samsung makes some too). They're tiny little things so you can clip them to your shirt collar, pants waistband, whatever. SQ's pretty good but if you're sitting still or out of battery you can just unplug and plug straight into the player, which is part of the appeal to me... Being about to use the headphones I already have and love.

Depending on where you decide to wear it you might prefer a short cable for the Shure, not sure if such a thing is available tho. Just a suggestion...

Ahhh, I didn't even know those devices existed! Thanks a lot!

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #3,757 of 5,364
Looking for a pair of $200 and below in ear headphone or iem that does not need an amp for my music device. My source are my ipod and I listen mainly rock, metal and acoustic and some other genre. Is it good idea if I should buy Shure se215. I don't want to use amp ok.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #3,758 of 5,364
I'm looking for a good quality portable headphone. I have been using CIEM (ACS T1) but I'm having some physical difficulties with my ears at the moment preventing in ear use. I'm currently using AKG K490 NC  which are not bad but I'd like something of a rather higher quality. Source is IBasso DX100 and I listen on the London Underground trains so noise isolation is very important to me. I'm also looking for something that is not too large or folds down well.

As a starting point I'm interested in Beyerdynamic T50P , Sennheiser HD25-13-ii or better...

Thanks

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #3,759 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm looking for advice once more and so far you have never let me down! 

I'm seeking a pair of IEMs for use in the gym. I have searched extensively and read the various threads but none of them give many suggestions of IEMs which have clips that go around the ear or neckbands and for me this is a must as I have tried various headphones without and they all end up falling out.

I'm based in the UK but looking to spend the equivalent of $100

In terms of what I'm looking for sound wise, I'm looking for something fun and musical, as opposed to clinical. If any of you have heard the AKG K 81s then this is the sort of sound signature I'm looking for, or that of the Monster Audio turbines as opposed to say the AKG K550 (I keep meaning to add a review to the comparison thread about the K 81s and the K 550s but after having had them for a while now I still haven;t got round to it!). So yeah, something angled towards the "dark" side and easy to listen to.

I'm not overly fussed about them being too noise isolating as I'll be in a gym so its not a huge issue, conversely they dont need to block out 100% of noise but 70% upwards would be ideal. Also, I would like noise leak to be kept to a minimum just as it really bugs me when other people have headphones which leak. 

Look forward to hearing your recommendations!

Thanks

Sam

Any help with this one guys? 

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #3,760 of 5,364
I don't like wearing expensive IEM when I go running (I get caught in the rain sometimes, sweat's gonna kill them eventually, etc.), so I just wear something cheap like the MEElec M6. It seems like the Shure SE215 are right along the lines of what you're looking for tho (fit and sound-wise).

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #3,761 of 5,364
Hi guys

I'm after some advice on an IEM with mic and remote controls. My source is an iPhone 4S and iPad.

As for what kind of sound do I like, I absolutely love my Ultimate Ears UE-6000's, which I bought after reading the reviews and threads here at Headfi.

I'm after
  1. good sound isolation
  2. good mic and call quality
  3. robust design, I had some Shure IEM a few years ago, which were expensive and didn't last that long.
  4. Music: Florence and the machine, Muse, classical, allsorts really.
  5. budget up to roughly $140 (I'm buying from the uk, but can source from US easily enough)

So far on my shortlist is:

1. Shure SE215-K Earphones and CBL-M-+K Music Phone Cable with Remote + Mic for iPhone, iPod and iPad at $149
  2. SoundMAGIC E10M In-Ear Headset for iPhone, iPad, iPod (Black/Gunmetal) at £45
  3. Buds J4M Rugged Metal In-Ear Earbuds Style Headphones with Mic and Travel Case (Obsidian Black) at $40 or so
  4. Klipsch Image S4i Rugged - BLUE All Weather In-Ear Headphones at $99

I've only selected these based on the reviews from amazon and the fact that they have a mic.

I've looked through the headfi thread reviewing 278 IEM earphones, but it was hard to see which IEM's had mics and controls on them.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to hearing what you guys recommend.

thanks
Azza

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #3,762 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys

I'm after some advice on an IEM with mic and remote controls. My source is an iPhone 4S and iPad.

As for what kind of sound do I like, I absolutely love my Ultimate Ears UE-6000's, which I bought after reading the reviews and threads here at Headfi.

I'm after
  1. good sound isolation
  2. good mic and call quality
  3. robust design, I had some Shure IEM a few years ago, which were expensive and didn't last that long.
  4. Music: Florence and the machine, Muse, classical, allsorts really.
  5. budget up to roughly $140 (I'm buying from the uk, but can source from US easily enough)

So far on my shortlist is:

1. Shure SE215-K Earphones and CBL-M-+K Music Phone Cable with Remote + Mic for iPhone, iPod and iPad at $149
  2. SoundMAGIC E10M In-Ear Headset for iPhone, iPad, iPod (Black/Gunmetal) at £45
  3. Buds J4M Rugged Metal In-Ear Earbuds Style Headphones with Mic and Travel Case (Obsidian Black) at $40 or so
  4. Klipsch Image S4i Rugged - BLUE All Weather In-Ear Headphones at $99

I've only selected these based on the reviews from amazon and the fact that they have a mic.

I've looked through the headfi thread reviewing 278 IEM earphones, but it was hard to see which IEM's had mics and controls on them.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to hearing what you guys recommend.

thanks
Azza

Stay away from S4i. It's not worth $99. I don't know if any of these really have same signature as UE6000, but I can comment on some of these. 
SE215 is very well built. It can take some abuse. Warm and rich sound(slightly warmer than SE535).
SoundMAGIC E10M: I remember reading things about questionable build quality. According to reviews, it should be a solid performer sound wise though.
Buds J4M: never heard of them. Amazon has lots of negative reviews. I would stay away as these aren't designed for audiophiles.

Quote:
I'm looking for a good quality portable headphone. I have been using CIEM (ACS T1) but I'm having some physical difficulties with my ears at the moment preventing in ear use. I'm currently using AKG K490 NC  which are not bad but I'd like something of a rather higher quality. Source is IBasso DX100 and I listen on the London Underground trains so noise isolation is very important to me. I'm also looking for something that is not too large or folds down well.

As a starting point I'm interested in Beyerdynamic T50P , Sennheiser HD25-13-ii or better...

Thanks

Also look at DT1350 and Sennheiser amperior.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #3,763 of 5,364

If you're referring to joker's thread, he has a table at the end where the different scores for all the IEM are tallied, and there's a column that indicates which of them have iPhone controls/mic and whether it's a 1-button or 3-button... There's quite a few. Etymotic's HF line is within your price range and they're some of the most isolating IEM out there.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #3,764 of 5,364
Sorry for creating a thread.Posting now in the appropriate section.

Requirement:

I had an SM E30 which I lost.So I am in need of a new IEM which will be my daily driver.I listen mostly to pop,trance and I would use these during my daily office travel.

My preferences:

I have narrowed down to XBA-3 and Shure SE215 as these are easily available in my town.

Confusion:

I have read that XBA-3 sound unnatural due to the fact that these are BA's.They emphasize more on instrument seperation ,Have a wider soundstage and are a bit sibilant.

While SE215's being dynamic sound very warm and isolate very well but have narrow soundstage and average instrument seperation.

I do not prefer the Y-type cord design in XBA -3 and fear the issue in cable connectors of SE215 as I would not be able to audition both of  them.

I am inclined to the SE215 assuming that the single dynamic driver would satisfy my requirements but still believe I would compromise something as I will not go for another IEM, probably for the next 1.5 to 2 years.
So I need your inputs before drawing to a conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back