Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 21, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #3,421 of 5,364
Quote:
I recently saw this link and thought it might help you: http://www.head-fi.org/t/554541/monster-turbine-v-shure-se-215

I know you want to make the 'right' decision and the most of your money but you can make yourself nuts fretting and over-thinking a decision. 

I read through that entire thread 
tongue.gif

The responses are really quite mixed. Some swear by the Shures while others swear by the Turbines. 

But from what I've been reading in many reviews, it seems the Turbines are more prone to breakage than the Shures. In which case, I'll go with the SE215s. Can I get any support for this? Because I'm honestly still somewhat unsure. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #3,422 of 5,364
I dont know anything about the SHures warranty but the Turbines last 2 years, I think they are pretty durable other than the occasional lemon that gets out (which is why the warranty is there) the only thing that feels like it could break is the part of the cable that connects to the earbud, but those feel weak to me on all IEMs

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #3,423 of 5,364
Quote:

tongue.gif

The responses are really quite mixed. Some swear by the Shures while others swear by the Turbines. 

But from what I've been reading in many reviews, it seems the Turbines are more prone to breakage than the Shures. In which case, I'll go with the SE215s. Can I get any support for this? Because I'm honestly still somewhat unsure. 

my shurese215have survived getting lent to my 15 year old sister that so far have broken 2 iphones, and 1 macbook, it also have survived 9 plane trips, take that however you will

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #3,424 of 5,364
hi guys,
For classical and acoustic music, is Sunrise SW dragon good for that?.  what do you guys advice of earphone (earbud +IEM) for these music gene? im considering to get SW dragon because its price is about 80 bucks. What are you guys think about it? is there any pairs better? Thanks alot. :D Btw my budget is $100 and can be strech up abit.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #3,425 of 5,364
Hi Guys iam looking for a new pair of in ear headphones. I listen most To Eletronic,dunstep dnb, hiphop, but also some abient and acoustic Music. The models i have found intresting are, Sony Xba3/ip  Sennheiser ie80, shure 535.
My main headphones are Sennheisers HD650 and iam pleased with that and like the sound. So some what similair would be nice in sound.
I like the more "warm" type of sound, Have a hard time with tiring piercing treble.
I would be thankfull of any recommendations.and if not between the one i mention something in that price range
Note i should only use the new in ear headphones with portable devices such as iphone/ipod/LapTop not with an extra amp

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #3,426 of 5,364
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a new pair of IEMs under $200 to replace my Atrio MG7, which has lost sound quality on one side due to moisture damage.

I listen to trance music. I really liked the bass of the Atrio MG7 and want something similar to it, but I understand that I will probably get less bass with anything I choose due to how much bass the MG7 has. I enjoyed the overall sound of the MG7, but I want something that has more clarity and a larger soundstage, while also having a good amount of bass.

Isolation is important to me because I will be wearing these headphones at work.

I also want something that is durable and reliable. Many of my old headphones broke due to excessive bending of the plug area.

I have been reading about the Yamaha EPH-100 and have heard that they are good for trance music, which attracts me. Would these fit my criteria? If not, what is the best option for me under $200?

Edit: After more reading the Rock-It Sounds R-50 is another option I am looking at.

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #3,427 of 5,364
I have had q-jays for almost 5 years and am considering replacing them because the left side is quieter than the right. I bought them because their frequency response curve was almost completely flat, which I thought was a good thing, and it mostly was. But recently I found out about these equal loudness curves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

So to represent every sound at the same volume, the frequency response curve would have to look similar to one of those. I am wondering if there are any IEMs or even larger over the ear phones that have a curve like that?

I'm also wondering if I should even bother looking for something to buy by looking for something with a certain response curve, because it seems like the best idea of what it will sound like to me before buying or trying it.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #3,428 of 5,364
hey people should i get the etymotics mc5 or the vsonic vc02? also i'd like to know what etymotic means by accurate, i'm new to all this. I listen to punk, rock, ska, blues, some jazz, some metal. any other suggestions are welcome too. my budget is < 70$ thanks for the help

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #3,431 of 5,364
Hi guys! I am so excited to become a part of this great community. In the past, this forum helps me a lot in terms of picking all the headphones I currently own. I am just a beginner and still trying to develop the sense of enjoying great sound. I currently own IE80, GR07 and M80, with the source being HIFI-Man 603. I listen mostly men's and women's vocal, pop and some classic. Although I am enjoying my IE80, I am looking forward to spend another few hundred bucks on another pair, preferably in-ear or full-size that my 603 can drive. I heard both Shure 535 and Grado GR10 are great for vocal. Anyway, I need your professional help in picking the right pair, any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!  

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #3,432 of 5,364
Quote:
Getting back in the hobby. Looking for something in the 400-500 range that will fare well with a computer output for a couple of months while saving up for the dac/amp.
Listen to anything but been listening to country and house lately.
Looking mostly for IEM.

Any thoughts?

Genres are helpful, but stating comfort, sound/signature preferences, isolation, etc, etc would be even more so. 

Quote:
Yea, I probably should. I won't, but I probably should.

My budget would be anywhere in the $30-$65 range. As far as sound preferences go, I want something with good clear sound that is loud, but not so loud others can hear what I'm listening to when I have my speakers on 17 (which is usually the volume I have my speakers on when wearing earphones or headphones).

Clarity, build, efficient/sensitive (when talking about portable stuff, almost everything should be efficient enough - that's sort of the point...but I digress), $30-65 - well that's still not a lot to go on. By sound preference I should probably restate it as signature preferences - preference in terms of bass quantity/quality, midrange quantity/quality, overall balance, tonality, areas you'd like them to be proficient. Everyone in the end sort of wants clear sound. 

Maybe the M2s because of the solid housings, but still, have no idea whether you might like that sort of bass (thick, rich, powerful) or not.

Quote:
hello,
 i'v got cowon c2 as temporal solution and looking for decent headphones to use with that player. 
 - it must be a bit durable (not break if i hold it a bit tighter)
 - it should be portable (have no flavor in terms of design but think that most portable design will be better)
 - not sure if it can require additional amplifer (cowon c2 have no line out but have amp inside (its not that bad as i thought but still ... ) and i can get any Fiio device ... but not sure if that will be fine in my situation)
 - it should be fine for all around music genres with powerful vocals.
 - it should be closed. (i hate whan i hear people around me or disturb them with my music)
 - i like neutral monitor sound and sound that does my akg k702 and trying to use it now on cowon d2. its barely fine. i think that sound quality>everything. i'd like to get similar sound on new headphones.
 - budget is like 200-300$ or less and if my Cowon C2 will be able to handle it and price difference worth that difference, i will be able to spend 400-500$.

is there are anything for me out there?
please, recommend me something that i can choose from.

will get it from ebay or any Russian local store (overpriced).

Neutral, $200-300, closed, all-rounder (but assuming a bit of mid-range emphasis from the vocal part) - sadly not a lot of choices. Perhaps the MDR-R1s but haven't heard those for a significant amount of time (i.e. half an hour) so won't comment too much there. 

Quote:
Right the IE800s are def out of my price range. Been trawling the threads and seems like Monster Turbine Pro Copper might be the way to go, anyone have any thoughts? I know they will be heavier than the x10s however most people say they are comfortable. Just a note I will be running them straight from source iphone 5, laptop, hi-fi without an amp. 

They are efficient enough. 

Really though, the IE800s are out of budget but the Coppers aren't? Are you sure we're referring to the same IE800s here? http://www.amazon.com/TDK-IE800-Dynamic-Drivers-Headphones/dp/B009SKA1LG

Quote:
Posted in the other thread, but it wouldn't hurt to have another opinion...

Seems like the ultra-affordable range of earphones have really taken off since I last checked.

What are some of the most well-recommended sub-$40 earphones out there? I like earbuds and IEMs... and anything else in between.

Unless you just want an arbitrary list of choices (which is fine), but that's not made clear so will assume you are looking for something more personalized/specific. In which case stating sound/signature preferences, comfort, isolation, build, etc would be helpful. Emphasis on the sound/sig preferences.

Quote:
deciding between the r-50 and hf5, seems to me the r-50 have more treble (from reading reviews) if i stray a little further away from only classical music, which of the two is better suited for a variety of music? i listen to 75% classical 20% EDM 5%Indie Rock, so its more important for the headphones to be suited for classical, but also have some variety for my other types of music. thank you! :) 

EDIT: isolation between hf5 and r-50 isnt a concern, from what ive read i can get the triple flanged tips (not sure if this is right) for the r-50 that will help with the isolation

Not entirely true. The treble is not as smooth but would say that the quantity overall is similar enough. 

Even with tri-flanges the R-50s will not isolate as much as the deep-insertion Etys. In which case the entire IEM body goes into the ear. Quite deep.

Quote:
Hi guys first post in this forum

I am an owner of a w1 that is looking for an upgrade. I tried the w3 and um3x and i liked the um3x more. Just wondering if there are currently any better alternatives or should i just go for the um3x? I listen to mostly rock with abit of techno stuff and pop. Budget will be around 300usd. thanks

What did you like specifically from the UM3X against the W3? The more fleshed out midrange? The smoother/warmer tonality? Specifying would be helpful, since we can get a sense of your sound preferences that way. 

Quote:
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this post, but im looking for something that will make the brainwavz b2 treble a little less spicy. I love the extension it has but the notes can get a bit sharp here and there. Could a $50-100 amp fix this (im also planning to buy comply tips, as i bought my b2's used)

Using amps to change sound signatures/color stuff to a significant degree is against my dogma. So no comment.

Quote:
Which MEElectronics earphones are better in the ones I've listed?

Depends. Haven't heard too much of the MEElectronics headphones
Whoops see you're talking about the IEMs. That's even harder. Obviously the A161P would have most of the others beat in terms of sheer technicalities and balance. But really depends on sound preference. Not to mention Best Buy will likely not stock them :p

Quote:
Lost my sen 219s, looking for a cheap closed replacement with a little more bass. Any recommendations?

The HD229s 
very_evil_smiley.gif

But in all honesty perhaps the K518DJ might do.

Quote:
tongue.gif

+1 for the Shures in this case.

Quote:
hi guys,
For classical and acoustic music, is Sunrise SW dragon good for that?.  what do you guys advice of earphone (earbud +IEM) for these music gene? im considering to get SW dragon because its price is about 80 bucks. What are you guys think about it? is there any pairs better? Thanks alot. :D Btw my budget is $100 and can be strech up abit.

If it's just based on the price, there are plenty of other choices. While I can't say that something would be better than the Sunrises in this case as I haven't heard them.

Genres are helpful, but stating comfort, sound/signature preferences, isolation, etc, etc would be even more so. 

Quote:
Hi Guys iam looking for a new pair of in ear headphones. I listen most To Eletronic,dunstep dnb, hiphop, but also some abient and acoustic Music. The models i have found intresting are, Sony Xba3/ip  Sennheiser ie80, shure 535.
My main headphones are Sennheisers HD650 and iam pleased with that and like the sound. So some what similair would be nice in sound.
I like the more "warm" type of sound, Have a hard time with tiring piercing treble.
I would be thankfull of any recommendations.and if not between the one i mention something in that price range
Note i should only use the new in ear headphones with portable devices such as iphone/ipod/LapTop not with an extra amp

Warmth, smooth - strangely even the price ranges are disparate, they do perform rather similarly technicality-wise. The IE80 would be much more bass-heavy/aggressive than the HD650s. The SE535 would have a similar tonality, but a tad too mid-centric and balance isn't quite there. If you're going for a HD650-sound-alike, would check out the W4 or the eQ-5 in this case (hate recommending current stuff I own and am biased against, but these do fit rather well)

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a new pair of IEMs under $200 to replace my Atrio MG7, which has lost sound quality on one side due to moisture damage.

I listen to trance music. I really liked the bass of the Atrio MG7 and want something similar to it, but I understand that I will probably get less bass with anything I choose due to how much bass the MG7 has. I enjoyed the overall sound of the MG7, but I want something that has more clarity and a larger soundstage, while also having a good amount of bass.

Isolation is important to me because I will be wearing these headphones at work.

I also want something that is durable and reliable. Many of my old headphones broke due to excessive bending of the plug area.

I have been reading about the Yamaha EPH-100 and have heard that they are good for trance music, which attracts me. Would these fit my criteria? If not, what is the best option for me under $200?

Edit: After more reading the Rock-It Sounds R-50 is another option I am looking at.

R-50s will have almost the complete opposite amount of bass you're expecting. Even though you expect less bass, these have SIGNIFICANTLY less. Also stage size isn't that different although clarity does improve.

Isolates, large stage - does sound like the Yamahas but you might be wanting more out of the clarity side. For something fast-paced like trance, durable strain relief, decent stage size (but not as large as the EPH-100) perhaps the FXD80s. The FXZ100s would be a solid compromise between the two as well.

Quote:
I have had q-jays for almost 5 years and am considering replacing them because the left side is quieter than the right. I bought them because their frequency response curve was almost completely flat, which I thought was a good thing, and it mostly was. But recently I found out about these equal loudness curves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

So to represent every sound at the same volume, the frequency response curve would have to look similar to one of those. I am wondering if there are any IEMs or even larger over the ear phones that have a curve like that?

I'm also wondering if I should even bother looking for something to buy by looking for something with a certain response curve, because it seems like the best idea of what it will sound like to me before buying or trying it.

That's....sort of not how the contour curves work. Might want to read up on some material, you seem to have the wrong idea regarding these things. Innerfidelity has some good tutorials, as well as goldenears. Rinchoi has a slew of FR measurements on his site.

Quote:
hey people should i get the etymotics mc5 or the vsonic vc02? also i'd like to know what etymotic means by accurate, i'm new to all this. I listen to punk, rock, ska, blues, some jazz, some metal. any other suggestions are welcome too. my budget is < 70$ thanks for the help

Accurate - Etymotics attempts to tune everything perceptually flat against the diffuse-field target. i.e. - neutral, flat, etc, etc. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #3,433 of 5,364
Hello. Can you guys help me decide between Heir 4.A or UM Mage?
Here are things that I look for:
-Slightly forward mid and treble
-Detail and Placement
-Bass and Treble extension
-Clarity
-Mostly for string, guitar, and vocal
-I don't want too much midbass
-If anyone has heard the SRH940, I would like my first CIEM to sound like it.
Thanks

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #3,434 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys! I am so excited to become a part of this great community. In the past, this forum helps me a lot in terms of picking all the headphones I currently own. I am just a beginner and still trying to develop the sense of enjoying great sound. I currently own IE80, GR07 and M80, with the source being HIFI-Man 603. I listen mostly men's and women's vocal, pop and some classic. Although I am enjoying my IE80, I am looking forward to spend another few hundred bucks on another pair, preferably in-ear or full-size that my 603 can drive. I heard both Shure 535 and Grado GR10 are great for vocal. Anyway, I need your professional help in picking the right pair, any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!  

Look into Heir Audio 4.Ai or even customs! You can ask Unique Melody to turn a pair of custom into a universal fit, and I'm pretty sure other custom iem companies would do that too. I really like my SE535 if you wonder. I might pull a trigger on Unique Melody Mage, though.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #3,435 of 5,364
Hi guys, so 6 months after I understood my IE8s were fake and broke I thought it might be time for some some new IEMs.

Budget: Can stretch to £150 but ideally near the £100 mark
Music: 60% Drum and bass, 20% Other dance music, 10% Experimental electronic, 10% Rock/other
Tastes may shift and I plan to start listening to more rock but drum and bass seems to be a mainstay.
Running off: A Cowon X7 and FiiO E7

I'm all ready considering Klipsh X10s and the Velodyne vPulse which are both around £100 but new suggestions as well as advice are welcome, thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back