Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #3,391 of 5,364
Need some suggestions for a new earphone.

Budget is up to $100. 
Source is an iPhone 5 no amp. My music files are all 320 MP3, 256 AAC, or Apple Lossless. 

I have a Denon D2000, ATH-M50, and a Bose QC15 for my headphone needs, but all had for earphones so far is admittedly a Skullcandy Titan.

I'm not exactly sure the type of sound signature I want. All my current headphones are all bassy, so perhaps I want something well balanced now.
I have been considering the bass-heavy Monster Turbines ($79) and the Shure SE215 ($99).

I'm leaning towards the Shures right now, since they have better sound overall, nice vocals, and are very durable (I want whatever I buy to last).

Someone please talk me into or out of buying one of them. Or I might have to get both (and I can't afford that :c)

Edit: I listen to alternative genres (ie Two Door Cinema Club, Of monsters & men, Milo Greene) but I also listen to classical, hip-hop, rap, pop, dubstep and dance. You can say my tastes are pretty varied, so I want a something that is good for as many genres as possible. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #3,392 of 5,364
I have the turbines, and in my opinion they are fine for most genres but shine with bass heavy stuff.
Maybe you could consider an RE-400 or RE-0 or RE-ZERO. I actually plan on picking up an RE-400 soon. Instrument seperation and analiticlenss (new word) is its own kind of fun with bass heavy music :)

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #3,393 of 5,364
Quote:
Need some suggestions for a new earphone.

Budget is up to $100. 
Source is an iPhone 5 no amp. My music files are all 320 MP3, 256 AAC, or Apple Lossless. 

I have a Denon D2000, ATH-M50, and a Bose QC15 for my headphone needs, but all had for earphones so far is admittedly a Skullcandy Titan.

I'm not exactly sure the type of sound signature I want. All my current headphones are all bassy, so perhaps I want something well balanced now.
I have been considering the bass-heavy Monster Turbines ($79) and the Shure SE215 ($99).

I'm leaning towards the Shures right now, since they have better sound overall, nice vocals, and are very durable (I want whatever I buy to last).

Someone please talk me into or out of buying one of them. Or I might have to get both (and I can't afford that :c)

Edit: I listen to alternative genres (ie Two Door Cinema Club, Of monsters & men, Milo Greene) but I also listen to classical, hip-hop, rap, pop, dubstep and dance. You can say my tastes are pretty varied, so I want a something that is good for as many genres as possible. 

Well balanced, under 100?
Might want to look at the A161p. But if you find the SE215s to be fine, can't argue there. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #3,396 of 5,364
Quote:
Well balanced, under 100?
Might want to look at the A161p. But if you find the SE215s to be fine, can't argue there. 

How would you say the bass response of the SE215s are? 
I know I can't expect too much low end from a true "balanced" earphone, but I am worried I may miss the fun sound of the bass thump.

Could the SE215s be compared to the QC15s (maybe) or the D2000s (probably not)?
How about even to the Skullcandy Titans? 

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #3,397 of 5,364
Quote:
How would you say the bass response of the SE215s are? 
I know I can't expect too much low end from a true "balanced" earphone, but I am worried I may miss the fun sound of the bass thump.

Could the SE215s be compared to the QC15s (maybe) or the D2000s (probably not)?
How about even to the Skullcandy Titans? 

They'd be more along the lines of the QC15 in quantity, and the D2000s for punch/impact. Note presentation would be somewhere between the two. These are bass-emphasized, make no mistake, just not as significant that they'd skew off balance or anything. The mids, like the D2000s (take my comments on the D2000s with a grain of salt though, as I've only heard them twice and both through meet conditions - rather, you can ignore them completely if you wish :p) are pulled back, but the warm and lushness/richness/thickness of note makes it seem otherwise. Treble is recessed a tad bit, and rolled-off.

In terms of sheer quality...well always hard to compare full-sized and IEMs, not to mention other discrepancies. So no comment there. Rest assured that they are more proficient and balanced against the Titans :D

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #3,398 of 5,364
Quote:
They'd be more along the lines of the QC15 in quantity, and the D2000s for punch/impact. Note presentation would be somewhere between the two. These are bass-emphasized, make no mistake, just not as significant that they'd skew off balance or anything. The mids, like the D2000s (take my comments on the D2000s with a grain of salt though, as I've only heard them twice and both through meet conditions - rather, you can ignore them completely if you wish :p) are pulled back, but the warm and lushness/richness/thickness of note makes it seem otherwise. Treble is recessed a tad bit, and rolled-off.

In terms of sheer quality...well always hard to compare full-sized and IEMs, not to mention other discrepancies. So no comment there. Rest assured that they are more proficient and balanced against the Titans :D

Thanks for your input, a black SE-215 will soon be own its way :D

I hope the quality and durability will be enough to last me a few years 

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #3,400 of 5,364
Getting back in the hobby. Looking for something in the 400-500 range that will fare well with a computer output for a couple of months while saving up for the dac/amp.
Listen to anything but been listening to country and house lately.
Looking mostly for IEM.

Any thoughts?

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #3,401 of 5,364
Quote:
Be more gentle with your headphones 
tongue.gif
 It's the obvious way to go.

Budget? Sound preferences (if sound is to be considered)?

Yea, I probably should. I won't, but I probably should.

My budget would be anywhere in the $30-$65 range. As far as sound preferences go, I want something with good clear sound that is loud, but not so loud others can hear what I'm listening to when I have my speakers on 17 (which is usually the volume I have my speakers on when wearing earphones or headphones).

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #3,402 of 5,364
Quote:
V-MODA M80 and M100 are incredibly durable- Look on Youtube and you'll find plenty of videos speaking volumes of the build quality of both of these headphones. Keeping an eye on Amazon you could probably pick up a pair of used M80's for around $100 (Just checked: $101.) The M100's are obviously a bit more expensive, but the bassy punch of either of them make them great for listening in areas with a lot of background noise. Along with everything else, their warranty (If you buy them new) is phenomenal- Two year limited warranty, and 50% off your next purchase if they break after two years. I probably went through 4 or 5 pairs of my Vibrato's, and they'd send me a brand new pair with a whole new set of tips each time... Cost nothing more than the price of shipping. 
size]

V-MODA is actually one of the brands I'm considering, but the M80 and M100 are too expensive for my budget. I'm thinking more like the True Blood O Positive or Remix Audio if I go with V-MODA. Anyway, though, thanks for the suggestion!

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #3,403 of 5,364
hello,
 i'v got cowon c2 as temporal solution and looking for decent headphones to use with that player. 
 - it must be a bit durable (not break if i hold it a bit tighter)
 - it should be portable (have no flavor in terms of design but think that most portable design will be better)
 - not sure if it can require additional amplifer (cowon c2 have no line out but have amp inside (its not that bad as i thought but still ... ) and i can get any Fiio device ... but not sure if that will be fine in my situation)
 - it should be fine for all around music genres with powerful vocals.
 - it should be closed. (i hate whan i hear people around me or disturb them with my music)
 - i like neutral monitor sound and sound that does my akg k702 and trying to use it now on cowon d2. its barely fine. i think that sound quality>everything. i'd like to get similar sound on new headphones.
 - budget is like 200-300$ or less and if my Cowon C2 will be able to handle it and price difference worth that difference, i will be able to spend 400-500$.

is there are anything for me out there?
please, recommend me something that i can choose from.

will get it from ebay or any Russian local store (overpriced).

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #3,404 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks a lot for all the help TwinQY, I will take a looksee at the prices for the IE800s although they maybe a bit out of my budget. Wish the sleek audio range was reliable as I think the new SA7 would hit the mark. 

Right the IE800s are def out of my price range. Been trawling the threads and seems like Monster Turbine Pro Copper might be the way to go, anyone have any thoughts? I know they will be heavier than the x10s however most people say they are comfortable. Just a note I will be running them straight from source iphone 5, laptop, hi-fi without an amp. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #3,405 of 5,364
Posted in the other thread, but it wouldn't hurt to have another opinion...

Seems like the ultra-affordable range of earphones have really taken off since I last checked.

What are some of the most well-recommended sub-$40 earphones out there? I like earbuds and IEMs... and anything else in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back