Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #3,361 of 5,364
Hi guys!
I have had many headphones in the past where one cup has stopped working because damage was made to the cord. If it wasn't for the fact that I don't know how to solder, I would have already chosen the Audio-Technica ATH-A900X when they were $170 on Amazon (they're back now at $199..)

I've been looking through the recommendation threads on this site but they just suggest to get one headphone...mainly the VMODA m80s. I'm not really liking the idea of purchasing these considering many reviews on Amazon say that these are terrible for larger heads. Can I get a larger selection choice on detachable headphones?

[size=medium]Also, what is your opinion with the Ultrasone Pro 550s...would I need to amp the headphones to use with my Sansa Clip Zip? If yes, I'll probably avoid this option.[/size]

[size=medium]NOTE: HEADPHONES NEED TO BE AMAZON GLOBAL ELIGIBLE[/size]

[size=medium]many thanks :wink:[/size]

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #3,363 of 5,364
Quote:
It can't be perfect. Not all answers will be answered. People might even lose interest after a day or two. But as long as there's an ongoing movement, an ongoing push for contribution, for advice, I don't see why we can't make this work better. 

Cheers to you buddy for helping so many folks!
beerchug.gif

I would contribute more, but your super-man responding abilities and seemingly endless knowledge/opinions on all of these iem's is way too intimidating lol!

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #3,364 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys!
I have had many headphones in the past where one cup has stopped working because damage was made to the cord. If it wasn't for the fact that I don't know how to solder, I would have already chosen the Audio-Technica ATH-A900X when they were $170 on Amazon (they're back now at $199..)

I've been looking through the recommendation threads on this site but they just suggest to get one headphone...mainly the VMODA m80s. I'm not really liking the idea of purchasing these considering many reviews on Amazon say that these are terrible for larger heads. Can I get a larger selection choice on detachable headphones?

[size=medium]Also, what is your opinion with the Ultrasone Pro 550s...would I need to amp the headphones to use with my Sansa Clip Zip? If yes, I'll probably avoid this option.[/size]

[size=medium]NOTE: HEADPHONES NEED TO BE AMAZON GLOBAL ELIGIBLE[/size]

[size=medium]many thanks :wink:[/size]

Good to see that you've moved here Mr. Bieber. 

The stuff I said on the other thread still stands. The modding thing would open up a plethora of choices (and if it's a problem with reliability, people have reported nothing but good things with Brian, he's pretty much the de facto person for this sort of stuff on head-fi) but I understand if you feel uncomfortable towards that option.

Otherwise, of course stating sound preferences would be extremely helpful as well. Otherwise, since you're fine with over-ear, maybe the Uptowns - they have a removable 3.5mm by 3.5mm cable. Headband stretched over my rather large head alright (and yes they do stretch). But again, stating sound preferences would be helpful. Rather cheap on Amazon as well.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #3,365 of 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers to you buddy for helping so many folks!
beerchug.gif

I would contribute more, but your super-man responding abilities and seemingly endless knowledge/opinions on all of these iem's is way too intimidating lol!

Well I am planning to go away to take care of real-life intrusions sometime before the start of April, so you'll have ample time to take over! Have fun!

But in all seriousness, people should never be intimidated to pitch in with their opinion. I can say that I'm probably not the most reliable source, and me being one person makes it even more so. Having people add in on a suggestion I make, vice versa, maybe even some discussion/disagreements with the item at hand, could be immensely helpful either way. It's not about filling a quota in the end, it's about helping others :D
Even if I do answer something, feel free to add something I may have missed, or confirm something. I'll do the same.

BTW, since you're here, maybe call in a few of your discovery thread gang members fellows to help if they feel ever so inclined? It would be immensely helpful, and would also make master troll much more productive. He needs to be pushed around a bit to fully squeeze out his dusty gifs usefulness.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #3,366 of 5,364
Quote:
Good to see that you've moved here Mr. Bieber. 

The stuff I said on the other thread still stands. The modding thing would open up a plethora of choices (and if it's a problem with reliability, people have reported nothing but good things with Brian, he's pretty much the de facto person for this sort of stuff on head-fi) but I understand if you feel uncomfortable towards that option.

Otherwise, of course stating sound preferences would be extremely helpful as well. Otherwise, since you're fine with over-ear, maybe the Uptowns - they have a removable 3.5mm by 3.5mm cable. Headband stretched over my rather large head alright (and yes they do stretch). But again, stating sound preferences would be helpful. Rather cheap on Amazon as well.

Well hello again!
Are you referring to the phillip uptowns? To my (limited? haha) knowledge these don't have detachable cables. Oh and I won't be worrying about sound signatures just yet.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #3,367 of 5,364
Quote:
Well hello again!
Are you referring to the phillip uptowns? To my (limited? haha) knowledge these don't have detachable cables. Oh and I won't be worrying about sound signatures just yet.

Bah, I was thinking of another Philip. You are right :p

But otherwise it'd be difficult to narrow down a headphone without knowing the type of sound you like. I mean I could say the COPs, which have a removable cable, right within the budget, but I wouldn't know for sure if you liked a warm, thicker sound or not.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #3,368 of 5,364
Quote:
Bah, I was thinking of another Philip. You are right :p

But otherwise it'd be difficult to narrow down a headphone without knowing the type of sound you like. I mean I could say the COPs, which have a removable cable, right within the budget, but I wouldn't know for sure if you liked a warm, thicker sound or not.

Alright, let's go with hip hop. Any suggestions?

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #3,372 of 5,364
Mar 19, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #3,373 of 5,364
Quote:
If that's the case, sounds extraordinarily like the IE800s then. Warmth, weight, detailed, refined, straight-down and pretty light, albeit no access to a mic/remote. The HF*s are ever so slightly warmer than the ER4s but that isn't saying much. Probably not bassy/warm enough then. 

Thanks a lot for all the help TwinQY, I will take a looksee at the prices for the IE800s although they maybe a bit out of my budget. Wish the sleek audio range was reliable as I think the new SA7 would hit the mark. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #3,374 of 5,364
Hey I recently got the TDK IE800 (yesterday) and I'm quite disappointed with the sound quality. It feels as if my stock Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE earphones are on par with it however the TDK IE800 has slightly better isolation. Am I doing something wrong ? Do they need burn-in ?

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #3,375 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey I recently got the TDK IE800 (yesterday) and I'm quite disappointed with the sound quality. It feels as if my stock Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE earphones are on par with it however the TDK IE800 has slightly better isolation. Am I doing something wrong ? Do they need burn-in ?

Where do you find them lacking? Detail/performance? Any specific part of the frequency?

Though, the stock S3 earphones aren't too shabby either :D They actually sound pretty decent at times (completely different sig). But I digress...

A burn-in skeptic, so won't comment on that front. Have you tried tip-rolling? The fit might be strange at first, so that would be the obvious remedy (if there is a problem).

Also, these your first IEMs? Might take time to appreciate the sound, but not going to say that it'll change dramatically unless this is a completely new experience for you. If so, perhaps pay more attention to the subtleties of music, how it's all fleshed out, though I probably shouldn't be one to give lessons on audio/music appreciation.

Give it a few days (but don't go over the time limit for returns, if there is one) before making a snap judgement though. But if you go at least a week or two into it, tried different music (and music files but will assume you're using properly ripped stuff anyways), tried to tip-roll, tried to appreciate it better, and still no dice, then they most likely suck (or you got a dud pair, however unlikely). Can't force yourself to like something if it's not already there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back