Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #3,211 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey :) 
Im looking for a portable on-ear headphone that sounds good with electronic music and occasionally some hip-hop.
Im also gonna work out and jog with them on a lot.
I had the SOL Republic Tracks HD previously but i gave them to my brother who needed them desperately so now im looking for a better alternative.
Price range: Under 200 dollars.

Vmoda m80... that's all I can think of for on ears.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #3,212 of 5,364
Quote:

Well I can make a little list of cans in your price range (amazon)
AKG K167 Tiesto ($150)- they don't have a replaceable cable though
V Moda M80 ($150)- plus you get a case, and extra cable, and customizable shields!
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (Prices Range from $150-200)- though they are pretty large
Philips Citiscape Uptown ($90-120)- though they don't have a replaceable cable
Logitech UE6000 ($200)- probably the best choice, and have everything you want, though I warn you, the earpads, or just parts n general arent replaceable

Hope This Helps!

That list is very helpful. I'm not interested in the k167's or the Uptown's, but the rest look interesting. I like the M80's but I want an around ear set, not on ear. Are the LP2's worth a look? I've seen many more recommendations for the M80's than the LP2's but I haven't really seen anything bad about the LP2's. I don't think I can bring myself to get the M100's unless they are like a god send. The UE6000's are really nice looking and hit all my requirements (plus sound pretty good too, got to test them out at my local Best Buy) but I don't want to get them if the Custom One Pro's would be a better choice. Any suggestions?

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #3,213 of 5,364
That list is very helpful. I'm not interested in the k167's or the Uptown's, but the rest look interesting. I like the M80's but I want an around ear set, not on ear. Are the LP2's worth a look? I've seen many more recommendations for the M80's than the LP2's but I haven't really seen anything bad about the LP2's. I don't think I can bring myself to get the M100's unless they are like a god send. The UE6000's are really nice looking and hit all my requirements (plus sound pretty good too, got to test them out at my local Best Buy) but I don't want to get them if the Custom One Pro's would be a better choice. Any suggestions?

Getting the LPs is probably a bad idea. They're incredibly muddy and remind me of the beats, but are a little better.

Why no interest in the K167s? Is it because of the endorsement? They're pretty darn good cans for a great price and I think you should reconsider.

From what I've heard, it seems like the UE6000s are definitely the winner in sound and portability but the COPs have replaceable parts, adjustable ports, and well, adjustable parts. The UE6000s definitely seem to be the best choice.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #3,214 of 5,364
Quote:

The XBA-30 ticks all your boxes and more. They have a balanced warm sound with the right amount of color that gets your head shakin' while sounding very accurate. I find them very comfortable and they isolate great in public. IMO they are unbeatable at their current price ($150) and just flat out one of the best IEMs available today.

Are there any other IEMs similar in sound and price? These ones look great and after your suggestion, I've read some more reviews and have taken a liking to them. But I'd also like to draw a more detailed comparison. How would the EPH-100, GR07 and the SE215 compare to the XBA-30? Thanks.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #3,215 of 5,364
Quote:

+1 vote for the UE6000's in this price range. 

If you haven't already. Check out Tyll's review over at innerfidelity.. this SHOULD give you that extra nudge.. (and if you've already tested them and liked what you heard.. then you should feel secure about making that purchase)

I am a biased UE6000 owner though.. so don't keep that in mind, and pull the trigger anyway.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #3,216 of 5,364
Hi, lately my cheap skullcandy headphones just aren't doing it for me anymore, and I need sone good guidance for choosing a good build and sound quality but portable headphone. My price range is around $50 - $100, I want them to be pretty flush and gentle due to my sensitive ears that get can sore, also I'll be putting carrying them in a tight packs so I'd like them to fold flat. I'll be using them mostly with my phone, ipod, and laptop. Also I listen to a wide range of music but mostly 70's rock so I'm not really sure about the bass prominence, but that's why I'm posting here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank's for any replies! Happy head banging.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #3,217 of 5,364
Quote:

+1 vote for the UE6000's in this price range. 

If you haven't already. Check out Tyll's review over at innerfidelity.. this SHOULD give you that extra nudge.. (and if you've already tested them and liked what you heard.. then you should feel secure about making that purchase)

I am a biased UE6000 owner though.. so don't keep that in mind, and pull the trigger anyway.

Yea the only thing that was stopping me was the fact that I haven't had a chance to try the others. Thanks for the input, I'll probably pull the trigger on them.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #3,218 of 5,364
Yea the only thing that was stopping me was the fact that I haven't had a chance to try the others. Thanks for the input, I'll probably pull the trigger on them.

Seems like a great decision! Although I do have to warn you, you can't order any replaceable parts. That means once the ear pads wear out, that's it. Although, if your like most headfiers around here, you'll only be using it for a month or two lol. Overall a great choice, but if your looking for other options at around $200, all I can think of are the AKG K167, and M80s. Maybe the Beyer Custom One Pros.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #3,219 of 5,364
Quote:
Seems like a great decision! Although I do have to warn you, you can't order any replaceable parts. That means once the ear pads wear out, that's it. Although, if your like most headfiers around here, you'll only be using it for a month or two lol. Overall a great choice, but if your looking for other options at around $200, all I can think of are the AKG K167, and M80s. Maybe the Beyer Custom One Pros.

I understand that and it's something to consider but I don't listen to music as much as most people on this site do so I don't foresee it becoming a huge problem, I should get a good amount of time out of them.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #3,220 of 5,364
Quote:
Getting the LPs is probably a bad idea. They're incredibly muddy and remind me of the beats, but are a little better.

Why no interest in the K167s? Is it because of the endorsement? They're pretty darn good cans for a great price and I think you should reconsider.

From what I've heard, it seems like the UE6000s are definitely the winner in sound and portability but the COPs have replaceable parts, adjustable ports, and well, adjustable parts. The UE6000s definitely seem to be the best choice.

Wow I didn't even notice this post at first. I did some research and they seem to be less recommended in general than the COP's or UE's. I'm also a tech nerd so any added functionality/gadget is a plus for me ("noise cancelling" on UE's, adjustable bass on COP's). They just don't have the wow factor that those two had. I would have been interested in LP2's because of the removable plates and the fact that they have a significant amount of metal in their build but I've heard from more than one place that the sound quality is meh. Overall I think the UE6000's will be a great fit.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #3,222 of 5,364
Wow I didn't even notice this post at first. I did some research and they seem to be less recommended in general than the COP's or UE's. I'm also a tech nerd so any added functionality/gadget is a plus for me ("noise cancelling" on UE's, adjustable bass on COP's). They just don't have the wow factor that those two had. I would have been interested in LP2's because of the removable plates and the fact that they have a significant amount of metal in their build but I've heard from more than one place that the sound quality is meh. Overall I think the UE6000's will be a great fit.

Yeah the ue6000s would be a great fit, but I do have some disclaimers (man I feel like I've been writing the same thing like 20 times for 20 different people lol):
you can't replace any broken or worn out parts
and the active noise isolation barely works, it's more like a bass boost

For a more detailed review, go to innerfidelity.com, then clck on hall of fame, then go to the bottom and click full sized sealed, then scroll down and find the review on these.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #3,223 of 5,364
Quote:
Yeah the ue6000s would be a great fit, but I do have some disclaimers (man I feel like I've been writing the same thing like 20 times for 20 different people lol):
you can't replace any broken or worn out parts
and the active noise isolation barely works, it's more like a bass boost

For a more detailed review, go to innerfidelity.com, then clck on hall of fame, then go to the bottom and click full sized sealed, then scroll down and find the review on these.

Well you have managed to tell me that I can't replace the parts in three of your replies to me so maybe you just think it's 20 people? I knew about the noise isolation, that's why I put it in quotes when I talked about it because I'm not sure it can be called that. I wasn't looking for noise cancellation so the fact that they have that in my price range is a bonus, and I like the sound of it on some songs anyway.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #3,224 of 5,364
Quote:

I hope you're happy with them!

I bought mine for $103 ($179 minus gift card and reward certs from Best Buy)

So.. essentially I got one hell of a deal for this can....

If (more like when) you do come back to us, please leave an impression.. here or another thread.. or even PM me. I'd love to hear your thoughts if they did match your sonic preference or not.

This headphone however, (uh oh..) has lead me to want to try more!!!! specifically: open-back phones since all I have are closed cans.. (saving up for Grado SR225s and HE400s lol) I started off as a closed-back bass loving person. But the clarity and imaging of these cans actually made me delve into other genre's (country, jazz, and even more orchestral/opera classics).. this coming from a predominantly electronic/hip hopper. I consider these as your entry level gateways.

In conclusion... not many head-fiers stick to one headphone as Trunks duly noted. You will want more! Good luck, and I apologize about your future income. :)

edit: There are replaceable parts btw.. Batteries and Cables.. to be specific (lol) ...... but can be played without batteries anyway. The ANC works perfectly for me when I switch around genre's.. two sound signatures in one can kind of. ANC on for my Electronic/Hip Hop/Metal mood.. passive for everything else. cheers!

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #3,225 of 5,364
Well you have managed to tell me that I can't replace the parts in three of your replies to me so maybe you just think it's 20 people? I knew about the noise isolation, that's why I put it in quotes when I talked about it because I'm not sure it can be called that. I wasn't looking for noise cancellation so the fact that they have that in my price range is a bonus, and I like the sound of it on some songs anyway.

Well just in case you don't already know, you can't buy any replacement parts for these. LOL:D

Aside from the jokes, maybe you should save up like an extra $50 and get the MDR 1r's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back