Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2,506 of 5,364
Does the shure215 work well with a treble boost from an amp?

I am debating over this or meelec a161, I will have the E07k as amp and dac on the go

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2,507 of 5,364
Quote:

The brands easily available are sennheiser, sony. altec lancing, creative (as far as my little experience say). I have searched Soundmagic E30 online, it is easily available (probably it is available in electonic market too). As far as genres is considered, I listen all kind of music but rarely hard rock on headphone. Mainly I will use earphones for light music only and sometimes for movie. The online price of soundmagic E30 is Rs. 2100 (USD 38), is the price okay? or what could be its price if u have any idea.

The soundmagic e30 is a great iem for $38, it is definitely worth that much. I have used it for quite some time and don't have any complains. The bass delivers deep notes with clarity while not having too much quantity. They have a warm sound that is not for everyone. Alternatively, if you want a mainstream sound (i.e. more bassy), go for the soundmagic e10.

Other commonly recommended options available in that price range would be the Sennheiser CX300II, Meelectronics M11+, etc, but I haven't tried any of those. Generally, soundmagic, astrotec, vsonic and meelectronics are considered to be good bang for buck. But don't just take my word for it, I haven't tried those. Refer to Joker's Multi-IEM review - http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-268-iems-compared-dunu-dn-17-dn-18-updated-01-15-13 

What I can tell you from my experience is that I have tried both the e30 and the e10 and they are great for their price.

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #2,508 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm not 100% sure about he LP2, but compared to the LP the M50 has more detail overall, less bass, better treble extension, and a more well-defined midrange. I think the LP is more like the Beats Studio than the Pro's.

do you think i will be better off going with a dj style headphone since they are almost aimed for bass

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #2,509 of 5,364
Hoping to get some recommendations.

The housing of my FXT90's popped off in a snowstorm and disappeared. 

I've been reading these forums for the past few days looking for a new pair.

======

Preferences: 

no over-ear cables as I wear glasses and find them quite finnicky in use (takes out the gr07)
prefer a y-cable over j-cable (or else I would have gotten the xba-3)

no need for amp (source would be either my laptop or my iphone)

I listen to chillwave, ambient, indie, alternative, and classical. A solid midrange is therefore important for me for crisp vocals, and a tight, but solid bass.

======

Hope improvements over FXT90's:

tighter bass 
better separation
better isolation since I commute on the subway

======

I've narrowed it down to the CKS1000, possibly the CKS99i, CKN70, FXZ-100/200.

Are there any others I should look into, or would you suggest one over the others? 

Thanks 
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #2,510 of 5,364
Quote:
The soundmagic e30 is a great iem for $38, it is definitely worth that much. I have used it for quite some time and don't have any complains. The bass delivers deep notes with clarity while not having too much quantity. They have a warm sound that is not for everyone. Alternatively, if you want a mainstream sound (i.e. more bassy), go for the soundmagic e10.

Other commonly recommended options available in that price range would be the Sennheiser CX300II, Meelectronics M11+, etc, but I haven't tried any of those. Generally, soundmagic, astrotec, vsonic and meelectronics are considered to be good bang for buck. But don't just take my word for it, I haven't tried those. Refer to Joker's Multi-IEM review - http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-268-iems-compared-dunu-dn-17-dn-18-updated-01-15-13 

What I can tell you from my experience is that I have tried both the e30 and the e10 and they are great for their price.

I also got E30 and absolutely agree with tquickbrownfox
The only issue I had with E30 is that I could't get a good seal with single flange tips

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #2,511 of 5,364
I feel that so far, we have not seen a single ~$300 portable that is in a way, perfect, as in easily recommendable for the price range. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #2,513 of 5,364
Quote:
Not to list any one in particular, but there are people who would readily recommend the V-MODA M-100 in a heartbeat. XD

Yeah, but it's got it's fair share of issues, at least if you don't like too much bass. I mean i think would consider getting a pair if i had the money, but i feel that v-moda is probably going to be making a new pair of headphones within the next year, plus small issues with the m100 (like the kinda overloaded bass, recessed mids, the earpads, etc.) kind of keep me back. But who knows, i'm close to getting another $400 or so, so i may get a pair.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #2,514 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Not to list any one in particular, but there are people who would readily recommend the V-MODA M-100 in a heartbeat. XD

Yeah, but it's got it's fair share of issues, at least if you don't like too much bass. I mean i think would consider getting a pair if i had the money, but i feel that v-moda is probably going to be making a new pair of headphones within the next year, plus small issues with the m100 (like the kinda overloaded bass, recessed mids, the earpads, etc.) kind of keep me back. But who knows, i'm close to getting another $400 or so, so i may get a pair.

Yeah this is probably true...this time I know better and won't be buying-in to the hype created as I was disappointed with the M-100's performance given the hype. D:
I like the SRH940 as a portable reference headphone, but its light bass, fatiguing treble, and "meh" build quality are a detraction for many.
I would like to try the DT1350 some day. From Innerfidelity's measurements I might actually really like that headphone. The quality control issues kind of scare me though.
Likewise goes for the MDR-1R.

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #2,515 of 5,364
Quote:
Yeah this is probably true...this time I know better and won't be buying-in to the hype created as I was disappointed with the M-100's performance given the hype. D:
I like the SRH940 as a portable reference headphone, but its light bass, fatiguing treble, and "meh" build quality are a detraction for many.
I would like to try the DT1350 some day. From Innerfidelity's measurements I might actually really like that headphone. The quality control issues kind of scare me though.
Likewise goes for the MDR-1R.

The DT1350 disappoints me in that apparently they pretty much require an amp to be as good as the price says.
The MDR-1R, though, looks pretty good and it's getting good reviews

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #2,516 of 5,364
Quote:
Thank you for the input, TwinQY. When you say the Phonak Audeo 122 are the same, do you mean they're a completely different sound signature to the M2's just like the A161p's or do you mean they follow the same signature as the M2's. I wouldn't mind a different sound signature if it still retained some warmth/bass. To sum it all up though, I just want an IEM that has a mic to work with my Galaxy S3, which isn't light on bass (doesn't need to be a bass monster) preferably under £130. MH1C's J cord is horrible, and I hear the Klipsch X10i don't work with android devices so thats off the list

Similar to the PFE022. Rather large departure from the M2. Notes are leaner and softer, much less pronounced throughout. Still warm, and bass quantity is average.

Quote:
Hi all, I'm looking for a pair of in-ears for sports (primarily running and lifting). I would like for them to have inline mic controls, and sound sig wise it'd be ideal if they have clarity and good bass. On a daily basis I use my Earsonics SM3s so clarity and separation is quite important to me - I cannot handle muddy bass 
size]
! The other thing I can't stand is microphonics, which even my Earsonics' cable suffers from. I've a budget of about US$200 for these. Thanks!

To give some perspective, would you see the SM3 as being slow or just fast enough. Either way, all the heavy hitters ~$200 apart from the A161P (mic and clear sound sig!) don't seem to have mics. Also the GR01 and R-50s to look at. Can't go wrong with both. 

Quote:
Good portable headphones for ~$300? I really do mean portable, though, as in foldable. I listen to EDM, Radiohead, Muse, Arcade Fire, etc. 
Already have an He-400, so a sound signature close to that would also be nice. IEM recommendations are welcome also.

IEM-wise, just got the 3.Ai. Pretty similar to the HE-400, but with more mid-bass/bass overall, less refinement/balance (basically more pronounced where the 400s were sort of emphasized, and even more of an upper-mid suckout). Someone before you asked the same question, opted for the W3, and didn't like them. Might have just been a bad fit though. 

Also the UE900 (finally heard them). Can't say much from a cursory audition, but sound sig is similar IMO (pretty flat up to the upper mid suckout - seems to be a common trend - , some treble sparkle.)

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a very cheap set of iems, like sub-$100 and around $50 would be preferable.

My music will be Mp3s.

I actually listen to everything; Rock, Alternative, folk, classical, country, rap, techno/dubstep; and everything in
between. I want them to be able to play everything fairly well.

I would also really like a mic and remote if possible.

I know it's a lot to ask for, so any help would be great.

Thanks,
Tommy

Mic-capable, good all-rounder - PFE022 (know I say this way too often). Also the A161p if you can stretch the budget a bit.

Quote:
What's up everybody? I need some advice from you audio gurus. 

I'm looking for some headphones that are pretty portable and easy to use in a school environment. I'm a senior in high school and these headphones are really just meant for the bus ride to school and during school when I have time to just relax. I'd appreciate if they were pretty stylish looking (whether it's more of a fine mature style or a nice modern style) and if they had sound that sort of tuned everything out. I had the Sennheiser Adidas HD-25 1's for a while but the cable was way too long and I just didn't feel happy with the price so I returned them. I'm going to be using this with my iphone and my ipod nano 7th generation. (powers headphones like an iphone would) I listen to a lot of metalcore and a bit of alternative hip hop. I refuse to fall to the beats trend and I'm tired of kids asking to compare my headphones to their Solo's or Studio's some preferably something better than that. It'd be nice if it were able to crank up pretty loud without sacrificing sound quality.

I was looking at the ATH ESW9's and some of those japanese Fostex Kotori 201's
*Budget* $200

UE6000s? Stylish, but not very aggressive/suited for metalcore. Great for alt hip-hop, acid jazz, from memory. Notes on the ESW9 are a bit rounded and dragged on (lush, a bit overly warm, and slow decay/transients, in other words).

Quote:
Hello, head-fiers. I need help.

So my IEM experience is in no way expansive. So far I've used a Creative EP630, Skullcandy Ink'd (i know), Soundmagic PL30, Soundmagic E30 and Sony XBA3.

Out of these, the soundmagic iems broke. The only ones I have now are the Sony XBA 3. And I don't really like them. They're great earphones - more detailed than anything I've tried. But I don't like the soundsignature all that much. Plus, I find them uncomfortable because you can't wear them over the ear. So I'm looking to sell these or trade them for some other IEMs. I don't want to keep these XBA 3s, but I don't know what to switch to. 
Essentially, I want something that is exactly like the soundmagic e30, but an improved version. Maybe with a slightly more forward midrange. What I loved most about my soundmagic iems was the great comfort and the airy soundstage. Their soundsignature was very likeable too (more so for the e30 than for the pl30). But I'm hesitant to buy them again, their build quality isn't assuring. Plus my budget is now beyond the price of the soundmagic iems (I'm primarily looking for a trade, but if I were to buy, my budget would be roughly $100 which I would stretch by a little bit if necessary). So what should I get? Shure se215 limited editions? VSonic GR04? Again - what I value in iems is (in order from most to least) - comfort, a sound signature similar to the soundmagic e30, a soundstage similar to soundmagic pl30 and a decent build quality.

My genre preferences are kinda varied, ranging from rock to classical. The soundmagic e30 seemed to do it for me. What's an upgraded soundmagic e30? The Shure SE215 LE seems really interesting right now. From what I hear, the VSonics lack the warmth. Then again, I'm not too familiar with the vocab. It might be the 4th time I'm saying this, but what else sounds like a soundmagic e30?

I'm located in NL, Canada.

The SE215 are definitely less mid-forward than the E30s. GR06s are more mid-forward, but the GR04 are more balanced. Would go with the latter, and that's from a long-time E30 fan.

Quote:
Hi guys, i'm looking for a pair of IEM's. My previous IEMs were the Aurisonics ASG 1.2 (sold them off due to comfort issues) and the Vsonic GR07s (my current ones, they sound great, are comfy and isolate well). What i'm looking for in them:
- Isolation
- Comfort
- SQ (better than my GR07s)
- Build quality
My music is either FLAC or mp3 (320kBs)
My source is the Sony Walkman Z-Series
I mainly listen to Asian pop/electronic music.

Budget? J/C/K-Pop on the W4s are just heaven, to give an example. As well as the 334, but that's probably way over budget.

Quote:
Help me find the IEM Im looking for. PLEASE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9e77IrHBsw&t=2m10s

Click the link. I want the guitar, at 2m10s, to be right in my mush. That is a perfect example of what Im craving. My RE262 broke, and that IEM provided me with what I wanted (I think), the guitar in that song was move pronounced than any other instrument and gave me that WOW feeling. Its a song I know well and use to compare IEM's.

Having broken I quickly upgraded to Westone UM2. The guitar in the same song seemed so far back to me, as though it was thrown to the back of the stage and was not important. Another upgrade to the UM3X today and its much improved, but still the guitar isn't on the front of the stage playing in my face. 

I dont know what to upgrade to next. I was also considering W4R but was interested in the intimate soundstage of the UM3X (I like it) rather than the better spaced stage of the W4R and so selected the UM3X.

I am also considering the SE535 as I read that the mids on that IEM are VERY forward.

Can anyone suggest what to go for next? I have 6 days to return the UM3X.

You want something more mid-forward than the UM3X? Not the W4, that's for sure (still mid-forward/centric, just less than the UM3X). Go with the SE535 if that's you're goal. The mids on these are their speciality.

Quote:
Gonna give this my best shot as i'm pretty new here. I've no experience with portables and limited with IEMs. 

My girlfriend is looking for a pair of portable headphones. She's coming from Monster Beats Studio. I tried asking her what she wants in a pair and received "I don't know, something good" numerous times. As if it weren't bad enough that my descriptive abilities are sub-par. Finally, after some arm twisting, I got something to work with:

Bass - Good extension, certainly not basshead quality but punchy with good presence and no bleeding into the rest of the FR
Mids - Lush and liquid vocals, she specifically asked for vocals not to be veiled or recessed
Highs - Crisp. Somewhat sparkly highs, nothing too bright but with still good detail. I've only heard her Studios a couple of times and the highs did not seem sparkly whatsoever so really bright highs might be too much.

No sibilance or sound leakage. She hated this about her Studios, she couldn't listen to music at her desired volume as they leaked a lot of sound. 
Average isolation as she will be using these to and from school and supreme isolation will be asking for trouble. 
Decent soundstage. When I asked her about soundstage and described it, she gave me a response that led me to believe the Studios did not have much of a soundstage. 
Great instrument separation and clarity. The first thing she told me she hated about the Studios was how sometimes the music sounded muddy, veiled and everything was blended together.
Comfortable for long term wear, on/around ear doesn't matter to her as long as they don't hurt like the Studios did. She wears a lot of ear piercings so perhaps around the ear would be more suitable for her. Must be a portable however. 
Price and looks will be decided by her. Preferably at least somewhat aesthetically pleasing and less than or around $250 CAN. 
She wants something that will do Pink Floyd justice. She listens to indie bands and Floyd mostly. 
Please none that requires an amp.
What do you say Head-fi? Will you help me prove to her that with the same or less money, she can get headphones that will outperform her Studios substantially?

IEMs-wise, the GR07 almost fits the bill, apart from asethetics. Otherwise, the Momentums or the M80s might do it, but not the most sparkly. Would go for the Momentums if that's not too much of an issue.

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with the Logitech UE600 (the earphone, not the UE6000 headphone)? If so, how does it sound?

Save the effort and stick with the UE700s. 600s were just so middling and average. I'd go into more detail, however, thje 

Quote:
Dear all, I need to buy a good quality In ear headphone (to enjoy music to the fullest). Suggestion will be appreciated.

Use of earphone:
  1. listening music from mobile phone during walk
  2. earphone for laptop and desktop both (to watch movie sometimes while everybody sleeping)

Minimum requirement
  1. need a noise cancellation/ noise isolation too to enjoy music
  2. good bass

can spend upto INR 5000 (USD 90).

Genres/availability of models (know a lot of other people asking from India were fairly limited in that regard)

Quote:
can someone please recommend me some potable headphones I never received a answer on my last post...

Budget-$150
Music style- hip hop and r&b
I want some that's has clarity and bass better or equal to the beats pro so I can put my friends to shame.

Appearance- Something appealing cause I will have them out in public

Yeah, not the best of intentions. I'd go on a spiel about how youngsters try to be all edgy and show up others, but what's the point...

UE6000/M80 would do the trick.

Quote:
Hi all -

Like other newbies, I'm trying to figure out what to buy to improve on the stock 'phones for my Galaxy S-III. I've already got a pair of Monoprice 8320's on its way to me, but I'm thinking of getting one additional set just in case.

From perusing a bunch of reviews on this site (and a few elsewhere, I'll admit), I have the following list of what seem like good choices in my preferred price range:

1) Brainwavz R1.

2) Astrotec AM-90.

3) VSonic GR02 Bass Edition.

(Although some here recommend Sony MH1C's, I've left them off the list, mostly because I dislike J-cords and microphonics - and I've got a pair of old EX-088's that I've never been happy with.)

My musical preferences are eclectic: everything from Renaissance (the period, not the group) to jazz to Philip Glass, with some Indian Classical and all kinds of other stuff thrown in. No heavy metal, techno, or suchlike, but a few things that might vaguely qualify as rock. I've got fairly large ears; and a lot of my 'phone use is on buses, so good isolation is a fairly major factor.

Given that the three choices I've identified are all similarly priced, which makes the most sense given my needs? Or is there something else that I should be looking at instead?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed, O Experts!

-DonR

Still not sure about the budget range. Under $50? Would go for the GR02/04 to cover the genre bandwidth. R1s are very much a warm/bass phone through and through. No idea about the Astrotecs.

Quote:
Does the shure215 work well with a treble boost from an amp?

I am debating over this or meelec a161, I will have the E07k as amp and dac on the go

I think the roll-off is inherent in the driver. Not much you could do with EQ sadly.If treble is important, would just stick with the A161P. Sound preference/genres? 

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #2,517 of 5,364
Quote:

I think the roll-off is inherent in the driver. Not much you could do with EQ sadly.If treble is important, would just stick with the A161P. Sound preference/genres? 

wow monster post there, thanks for reply, I wanted a solid bass and mid-range performance IEM for roughly ~$120 at the most, my DAP just died a couple days back so I can't stretch it any further

the Shure 1840 can has a neutral mids and treble but lack bass emphasis, I am looking for an IEM that has good bass and mids, I will be listening to mostly hip-hop on the go so mids are important for vocals

I had my eyes on the shure for the detachable cable and I thought I could just use a treble boost to make up for the midrange, I guess not

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #2,518 of 5,364
Quote:

M4 is warmer than M5, R1 is good but to my ear it has quite laid back mid, so not very good on vocals.

M4 is my pick out of the 3, as it is the most versatile one across all genre IMHO, but then again, if you can afford UE700 or X10, I would recommend these two over the M4, but if you can only spend $50, then M4 is my pick

Ya, I will probably go with the M4s then, thank you!

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #2,519 of 5,364
Quote:
wow monster post there, thanks for reply, I wanted a solid bass and mid-range performance IEM for roughly ~$120 at the most, my DAP just died a couple days back so I can't stretch it any further

the Shure 1840 can has a neutral mids and treble but lack bass emphasis, I am looking for an IEM that has good bass and mids, I will be listening to mostly hip-hop on the go so mids are important for vocals

I had my eyes on the shure for the detachable cable and I thought I could just use a treble boost to make up for the midrange, I guess not

Have to group all the answers into one mega post because of time constraints, sorry if it's hard to pick out individual answers...:p

Heard the SRH1840 exactly the same way, just a bit too sparkly up top (also a weird suckout somewhere in the mids, couldn't put my finger on it). The A161P are really similar to them, save the pseudo-suckout. With similar bass quantities (so not a lot), might want to keep that in mind.

At that price, and keeping the mids into consideration, would look at the RE262 while they're still available (stock is running out ever since they got phased out). Great, smooth, luscious mids. Not thick or slow, just forward and perfect for vocals. More bass than the A161P, and it goes deep, soft, and very pleasing. Not very emphasized or lacking there, pretty flat. Treble would be between SE215 and A161P levels. 

Also the R-30s (great punch, mid forward as well), but again, not a lot of treble. Same with the GR06, but lacking on both ends. PFE022s are flatter, extends well enough on both side, some of the most balanced treble quantity I've yet to hear. Not mid forward, but very pristine, smooth, a slight tinge of warmth.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #2,520 of 5,364
Hi guys,

Lost all of my tips for my Dunu DN-12 Trident. How could I go about getting replacement tips? DUNU seems to be terrible with getting back to me (no response via email yet..) and I am not sure as to which tips are going to fit.

Saw this in another thread but I am not sure what fits. http://www.earplugstore.com/sheaandmoac.html

and this. http://www.amazon.com/Shure-PA755-Triple-Flange-Sound-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0002INL4M

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back