Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #2,491 of 5,364
Quote:
hey all, I'm new to headifi, and new to upgrading headphones. basically i've only ever rocked the sony mdr-g45 or anything like them because they were being sold at walmart when my previous headphones like them broke.

I really like headphones that go over the ears/on the ears.
I cannot stand in the ear or earbuds.
I listen to Metal (power metal, folk metal, classic metal mostly Dio) 

Previously I had been really interested in the Razer Electra's because of price and aesthetics but i've read many reviews on this site that say "Eh" to their sound quality.
I prefer portable so I can wear them on the bus or walking and in the library.

And my price range is about $60-$100. Any advice?

JVC HA-S500

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2,492 of 5,364
Dear all, I need to buy a good quality In ear headphone (to enjoy music to the fullest). Suggestion will be appreciated.

Use of earphone:
  1. listening music from mobile phone during walk
  2. earphone for laptop and desktop both (to watch movie sometimes while everybody sleeping)

Minimum requirement
  1. need a noise cancellation/ noise isolation too to enjoy music
  2. good bass

can spend upto INR 5000 (USD 90).

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #2,493 of 5,364
Quote:
Dear all, I need to buy a good quality In ear headphone (to enjoy music to the fullest). Suggestion will be appreciated.

Use of earphone:
  2. earphone for laptop and desktop both (to watch movie sometimes while everybody sleeping)

Minimum requirement
  2. good bass

Considering that you're in India, you will struggle with the lack of availability. One iem that is well received by head-fiers and is available in India is the Soundmagic E30. I used this for a while and can say that this is one of the best bang-for-buck iems. 
Otherwise, you should considering importing from outside India. Buy a Vsonic iem from lendmeurears.com

I'm not very experienced but it would be easier to help you if you could tell us the earphones that are available to you and the genres that you listen to.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #2,494 of 5,364
can someone please recommend me some potable headphones I never received a answer on my last post...

Budget-$150
Music style- hip hop and r&b
I want some that's has clarity and bass better or equal to the beats pro so I can put my friends to shame.

Appearance- Something appealing cause I will have them out in public

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2,495 of 5,364
Quote:
can someone please recommend me some potable headphones I never received a answer on my last post...

Budget-$150
Music style- hip hop and r&b
I want some that's has clarity and bass better or equal to the beats pro so I can put my friends to shame.

Appearance- Something appealing cause I will have them out in public

Perhaps an Audio Technica ATH-M50? The Limited Edition silver colour is more flashy in appearance, but I prefer the more conservative look of the standard black one.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #2,497 of 5,364
I am looking to buy a pair of new ear buds for around $50.  I have a gift card for Bestbuy so I am limited to what they sell.  I found these available in the store.

Any thoughts? recommendations?

Thanks,

Seag33k

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #2,499 of 5,364
I am looking to buy a pair of new ear buds for around $50.  I have a gift card for Bestbuy so I am limited to what they sell.  I found these available in the store.

Any thoughts? recommendations?

Thanks,

Seag33k

A recent review for those Adidas said they weren't very durable. An earphone I like for mobile listening is the CX300 (the first version, not the CX300 II). Reviews say their durability sucks, but I've been trying to break them in the 4 years I've had them...no luck with that. The CX300 has a bassy sound signature with a laid-back midrange and lacks some details, but for the price and for mobile listening it's pretty darn good in my opinion.

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #2,500 of 5,364
I'm considering getting an inexpensive (under $200) Bluetooth headset to pair with my Sony Xperia S. The problem is the phone's Bluetooth, which is v2.1 and doesn't support the apt-X codec. Would I lose much SQ-wise because of that? Will the iPod Touch 5th gen. (BT v4, still no apt-X) perform better?

I'm not sure this belongs to this forum, so if it's a better idea to ask in Portable Source Gear please tell me and I'll move the post.

Also, I'd appreciate some help in choosing the actual headset. I'm currently looking at Sony XBA-BT75 and Jaybird Freedom Sprint.

Thanks.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #2,502 of 5,364
I have all the above, V6/K240/S500. The K240 is least sealed, and comfort I lean a bit towards the V6. You said you preferred metal, so I agree with djvcool on the S500 - its V-shaped curve will help with bass and treble. The V6 has a very flat (read: even, extended) bass but treble is quite bright. K240 is airy and mid-centric for vocals and isn't really sealed.
Keep in mind the S500 is on-ear, the K240 does NOT fold up, and the V6 has a coiled cable that isn't really suitable for walking around with.
Go with the HA-S500.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #2,503 of 5,364
Quote:
I have all the above, V6/K240/S500. The K240 is least sealed, and comfort I lean a bit towards the V6. You said you preferred metal, so I agree with djvcool on the S500 - its V-shaped curve will help with bass and treble. The V6 has a very flat (read: even, extended) bass but treble is quite bright. K240 is airy and mid-centric for vocals and isn't really sealed.
Keep in mind the S500 is on-ear, the K240 does NOT fold up, and the V6 has a coiled cable that isn't really suitable for walking around with.
Go with the HA-S500

alright awesome! thank you guys! I'll see if I can find them!

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #2,504 of 5,364
Quote:

Use of earphone:

Minimum requirement
  2. good bass

Quote:
Considering that you're in India, you will struggle with the lack of availability. One iem that is well received by head-fiers and is available in India is the Soundmagic E30. I used this for a while and can say that this is one of the best bang-for-buck iems. 
Otherwise, you should considering importing from outside India. Buy a Vsonic iem from lendmeurears.com

I'm not very experienced but it would be easier to help you if you could tell us the earphones that are available to you and the genres that you listen to.

The brands easily available are sennheiser, sony. altec lancing, creative (as far as my little experience say). I have searched Soundmagic E30 online, it is easily available (probably it is available in electonic market too). As far as genres is considered, I listen all kind of music but rarely hard rock on headphone. Mainly I will use earphones for light music only and sometimes for movie. The online price of soundmagic E30 is Rs. 2100 (USD 38), is the price okay? or what could be its price if u have any idea.

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #2,505 of 5,364
Hi all -

Like other newbies, I'm trying to figure out what to buy to improve on the stock 'phones for my Galaxy S-III. I've already got a pair of Monoprice 8320's on its way to me, but I'm thinking of getting one additional set just in case.

From perusing a bunch of reviews on this site (and a few elsewhere, I'll admit), I have the following list of what seem like good choices in my preferred price range:

1) Brainwavz R1.

2) Astrotec AM-90.

3) VSonic GR02 Bass Edition.

(Although some here recommend Sony MH1C's, I've left them off the list, mostly because I dislike J-cords and microphonics - and I've got a pair of old EX-088's that I've never been happy with.)

My musical preferences are eclectic: everything from Renaissance (the period, not the group) to jazz to Philip Glass, with some Indian Classical and all kinds of other stuff thrown in. No heavy metal, techno, or suchlike, but a few things that might vaguely qualify as rock. I've got fairly large ears; and a lot of my 'phone use is on buses, so good isolation is a fairly major factor.

Given that the three choices I've identified are all similarly priced, which makes the most sense given my needs? Or is there something else that I should be looking at instead?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed, O Experts!

-DonR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back