Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #2,432 of 5,364
Hey guys looking for suggestions for a work-out IEM. Got scheduled for PED 110 at my college and the instructor allows music during work-out, but I dont want to use my Klipsch X10s for it, mainly because of how thin the cable is. I also snowboard so an IEM that can fit under an helmet, as well as be water proof would be quite helpful.

Ive looked at the Monster iSport collection, mainly because thats the only brand I know of who makes IEMs solely for this purpose. But Im open to other suggestions, of course. 

Budget around $50 if possible?

Anyone got any ideas?

Now the way I was understanding it these were designed to be driven by ipods and the like. I thought they would need no amp?

These phones (galaxy s3) that will be primary drive my HD595's to a fairly loud point. ..

A NEED for Amps might well make her reconsider for the point that it is an added hastle to a portable solution, with another battery to keep track of and more cords to keep...

I never said it NEEDED an amp, I only said I plan to buy one. I am a bass head to an extent, I want an amp to boost the bass and overall soundstage + clarity on the headphones I have such as my V-MODA LP2s (which actually dont need bass boost, but they could use some added clarity and more treble) and my newly acquired Noontec Zoros, which do need bass boost for my taste. In the future I would also like to get some other cans like some BeyerDynamic DT 770s, which would then actually need an amp.

My no means do you NEED an amp for the X10s, my iPod Nano 7th Gen runs then perfectly fine, at volumes that could easily hurt your ears if you dont watch it. 

I haven't had much experience with earphones, but the X10 sounds like an interesting one to pick up [maybe]. Do you know how it compares to a SE215? I purchased a few for Christmas gifts and they were slightly too warm for my personal preferences. They sound really good for $100 though, I must admit.

I actually picked my dad out a pair of SE215s for a Christmas gift as well. From the little I have listened to them I can safely say that the SE215 has a much boomier bass, while still being very tight and clean, and Im not sure but it may just be because of the seal they gave me with the supplied compy tips. You can really feel it in your ear, vs. the X10s you can feel it but to a lesser extent. The SE215 also sounds better to me with more acoustic heavy music like metal, rock, and country, while also having some decent treble, which is why I got them for my dad. Only thing I dont like about the SE215 is the way they must be worn, the over the ear style.

I am no expert, but I hoped this helped.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #2,433 of 5,364
'Ello guys, i'm looking for some sort of portable can, i can take IEMs aswell, I need something that does metal and orchestral and all of those as good as possible with an emphasis on deep male vocals. I'd also like there to be no sibilance at all. 

As far as i've dabbled in IEMs and headphones in general i've found that dynamic drivers dont do it for me. None of them has the speed to reproduce these tracks well and it all comes out as a congested blob. I've found vintage orthodynamics (Namely the elektronika tds-5m) to perform excellently, to make vocals pop out and sound brilliantly, although there was a bit of lack in the highrange, nothing an EQ couldnt fix. 

IEM Balanced armature drivers also did the trick - the cold analytical yet ligtning fast and astoundingly detailed sound signature did a number on me but all of my IM716s died due to the damn filters getting damaged by hair. 

I've tried beyers, i've tried ultrasones, i've tried v-modas, i've tried most AKGs (except the k550). 

Grados seemed to do the trick, but it wasnt anywhere near the level of what orthos could do or the sonic marvel that were balanced armatures.

Pricerange : maximum of 220$ , I have nothing against them being used. I wouldn't mind hunting for them on the head-fi marketplace either.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,434 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey, first post here :)

I'm looking for some in-ear headphones and I'm willing to spend about $30~$40. I usually listen to K-pop (sometimes J-pop), I want headphones that can bring out the beauty of songs like this (skip to 3:49) or this, basically, songs that are strong on vocals. At the same time, I want songs like this to sound great too. Also comfort and isolation are important to me too. Don't know if that's too much to ask for.

I've done some researching of my own and I've been thinking about purchasing the Soundmagic E10's. I've noticed these headphones are constantly praised for it's bass. Bass is something that is emphasized in Hip Hop and not K-pop. These reviews make me think that the main selling point of the E10's is the bass but if bass is not something that is emphasized in K-pop then will it really benefit me? 

Oh, and I'm using the iPhone 5.

anyone??

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,435 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys!

I'm looking for some budget earbuds around $40-50.
I currently own the JVC Marshmellows which were good but my pair is starting to break so I'm looking for an upgrade.
I listen to bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine, Disturbed,etc.
I want good bass and noise canceling.
So far I've been looking at the Brainwavz M1, Brainwavz R1 and the SoundMagic E10.
Does anyone have any opinions on these or other earbuds in the $40-$50 price range?
Thanks!

Check out the reviews for the MEElectronics CW31.  They are comfortable and have a great sound.  They were $25 on Amazon last I checked...

JJ

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2,436 of 5,364
Aaron94
I never said it NEEDED an amp, I only said I plan to buy one. I am a bass head to an extent, I want an amp to boost the bass and overall soundstage + clarity on the headphones I have such as my V-MODA LP2s (which actually dont need bass boost, but they could use some added clarity and more treble) and my newly acquired Noontec Zoros, which do need bass boost for my taste. In the future I would also like to get some other cans like some BeyerDynamic DT 770s, which would then actually need an amp.

My no means do you NEED an amp for the X10s, my iPod Nano 7th Gen runs then perfectly fine, at volumes that could easily hurt your ears if you dont watch it. 

Thanks, I was mildly confused for a while there! Thought I'd missed an important tidbit..,. I wanted to get her something nice before I got myself some more gear, and while I'd like an amp, she would hate the hassle. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #2,437 of 5,364
Thanks, I was mildly confused for a while there! Thought I'd missed an important tidbit..,. I wanted to get her something nice before I got myself some more gear, and while I'd like an amp, she would hate the hassle. 

So I am going to buy her the UE Triple Fi 10's in the next 8 hours to 3 days when my money hits the bank.

Gonna spend the extra fifteen for Amazon fulfilled. I assume this will insure legitimate product.

To be safe, can anyone tell me how to be sure?

Also, how can I tell which replacement tips will work or fit these headphones, and which are best? I want to make sure she gets a great fit and give her the choice of isolation comfort or a balance. ..

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #2,438 of 5,364
Quote:

If you like vocals, then E10 won't suit you, I'd recommend to try and spend a bit more and check out Meelec A161p.

If you must only spend that much, then IMHO either Brainwavz M4 or M5 will suit you best

Quote:
'Ello guys, i'm looking for some sort of portable can, i can take IEMs aswell, I need something that does metal and orchestral and all of those as good as possible with an emphasis on deep male vocals. I'd also like there to be no sibilance at all. 

As far as i've dabbled in IEMs and headphones in general i've found that dynamic drivers dont do it for me. None of them has the speed to reproduce these tracks well and it all comes out as a congested blob. I've found vintage orthodynamics (Namely the elektronika tds-5m) to perform excellently, to make vocals pop out and sound brilliantly, although there was a bit of lack in the highrange, nothing an EQ couldnt fix. 

IEM Balanced armature drivers also did the trick - the cold analytical yet ligtning fast and astoundingly detailed sound signature did a number on me but all of my IM716s died due to the damn filters getting damaged by hair. 

I've tried beyers, i've tried ultrasones, i've tried v-modas, i've tried most AKGs (except the k550). 

Grados seemed to do the trick, but it wasnt anywhere near the level of what orthos could do or the sonic marvel that were balanced armatures.

Pricerange : maximum of 220$ , I have nothing against them being used. I wouldn't mind hunting for them on the head-fi marketplace either.

FA Tandem or TDK IE800 would suit you best IMHO

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #2,439 of 5,364
So I am going to buy her the UE Triple Fi 10's in the next 8 hours to 3 days when my money hits the bank.

Gonna spend the extra fifteen for Amazon fulfilled. I assume this will insure legitimate product.

To be safe, can anyone tell me how to be sure?

Also, how can I tell which replacement tips will work or fit these headphones, and which are best? I want to make sure she gets a great fit and give her the choice of isolation comfort or a balance. ..

I'd see how you go with the stock tips, they isolate fairly well. Here's a link to some alternatives (check the sellers items for small / medium / large) also remember you can use comply foam to increase comfort and fit issues, but it's really going to be a 80/20 thing. 80% they'll be fine, 20% chance of error, bad fit imo. Also, if you want the TF10 to look and feel of quality loss the stock cable imo it's very average, plasticky and just ugh........ Plus the earhoops on upgrades cables offer much more flexibility, comfort.

Tips

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261121593363?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Cable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Lord-Telfon-upgrade-cable-for-Ultimate-Ears-UE-TF10-5-/251210799661?pt=UK_Home_Garden_CD_DVDStorage_SM&hash=item3a7d549a2d

And a photo of what mine looked like with the cable for incentive. :wink:

Click to zoom in..

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #2,440 of 5,364
Hi Everybody - new to the forum, thanks for all the great info. Please excuse potential errors - not a native speaker.

I went through a lot of threads but still need a rather general advice.

I look for a pair of IEM's - that's at least what I thought. I would not like to spend more than 200-400 USD. I need good isolation (in both directions), mainly for travel and the office. I currently own Etymotics-HF-5, AiAiAi TMA1 and Koss PSC-75. I really don't like the Etymotics - no warmth, no real Bass and just to cold/analytical. I don't like the AiAiAi - mainly due to the fit. I really love the Koss (which cost something like 20 Euros or less), but they are "open" and therefore no option. In both the Etymotic and the AiAiAi I miss the "sound stage" (is that the right term in english?), the warm sound and the "livelyness", even when the material is not that great or there is outside noise (a plane can be really loud...).

Reading through all the reviews I have two general questions:

a) will a IEM be "my solution" or do I have to look for a full-size closed headphone?

b) if IEM could be a solution, should I try some Dynamics or BA's?

I just want to narrow down my focus and not order 10 headphones at Amazon to send 9 back...

Best and thanks

Max

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2,441 of 5,364
Hello all... 
I'm looking to buy some quality IEMs for my Sony Walkman Z 
Price range 0-450$ 
I have heard that Heiraudio 3.Ai and 4.Ai are very good iems for this price range but im not quite sure which one i should buy or should i buy something else because there are lots of good iems at this price range after all...
I listen quite many genres but not much electronic, trance or dubstep but that can change over time because i'm quite open to different music so iems that perform well on most genres would be good. And i always listen my music at 320 kbps mp3.
Previous IEMs i had were the logitech ue 700. I liked them pretty much but there would have been just a little more bass but not too much.
I'm not very good at describing the kind of sound i want from the iems (especially in english) so sorry about that one... 
And tell me do i need some portable amp with my walkman z even though the walkman is pretty good at its own. Maximum volume level isn't very high because the EU volume cap
I'm quite new to this Hi-Fi stuff so sorry if there wasn't enough information. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #2,443 of 5,364
I have a budget of 200-300 dollars available for some new IEMs. I currently own the brainwavz m2, shure se215, and denon d2000. I use to own vsonics gr07 and absolutely loved them, but could never get a proper fit which in turn made it more of a hassle than a quality IEM.

This is why I am leaning towards the gr01. Any recommendations? I enjoy my se215 a lot but it feels definitely lacks something higher price IEMs have.

I'm looking for a more neutral sound that plays across the range but still fun to listen to. It can't be fatiguing, quality bass, and sound good at low or high volume. I prefer not to amp. I listen to almost every genre from electronic, to country, to metal.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2,445 of 5,364
Could someone please recommend a good set of earphones with heavy bass? My previous two earphones were the Fischer Audio Eterna and the Hippo VB. I'd like to upgrade from them with my budget being about $100. I'm leaning towards the Brainwavz M2 but am not completely sure if it's really 'heavy bass', also the average isolation kind of puts me off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back