Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 14, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #2,416 of 5,364
I want to buy my Fiance a new pair of IEM's, as she HATES full sized headphones. I was flat broke on her birthday, and I couldn't do much for her. I feel bad and want to make it up to her. 
triportsad.gif

I would like to find her something with some good clarity overall, with some strong low end punch, and clean, non-painful highs and vocals, that do not need amplification, and can be driven from her phone (a galaxy S3). 
She would probably be using them frequently, and carrying them with her on-campus. This means they will need to be somewhat durable (she's generally responsible, but things happen. Just not made of glass), and comfortable.

She listens to lots of techno, drum and bass type music (Think Benny Benassi), a few various hits, some Tori Amos (Piano, classical instruments, varying volume female vocals) and music with a combination of these things and Female Vocals.

What fits the bill here? 

What are my options at different price ranges?

She is coming off a pair of Sennheiser CX500's.

Like to look at 250 USD and under? (Preferably under, but value-for-money is main factor)

Thanks in advance for all useful advice!

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #2,417 of 5,364
Klipsch X10 on amazon on special at the moment for $105, usually listed at $350. :eek: Jump in and treat yoru girlfriend while stocks last. they suit what you're looking for in genre preference and signature also rather popular on the forums right now. I have some here atm and they'll be great for what you're looking for.

PS: Don't under estimate the bass that comes out of them either, they pack good punch.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2,418 of 5,364
I dont see them running out of X10s for awhile, the below $150 price has been on them for a few months, under$100 kept for 3-4 weeks. And every time I check it says they have 100+ new ones for sale.

And yes, the bass packs a punch for how small the drivers are, like anything it gets better the louder you play your music. I personally plan to purchase a Fiio E11 to go with my X10s, and whatever future IEMs/headphones I get.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #2,419 of 5,364
Klipsch X10 on amazon on special at the moment for $105, usually listed at $350. :eek: Jump in and treat yoru girlfriend while stocks last. they suit what you're looking for in genre preference and signature also rather popular on the forums right now. I have some here atm and they'll be great for what you're looking for.

PS: Don't under estimate the bass that comes out of them either, they pack good punch.

Thanks!
Upon looking at my thread last year where I was on a much tighter budget I saw a suggestion for these

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0019RBJOE/ref=aa_ol_d

And have become quite intrigued.

Which is better quality wise, if you happen to know?

The ultimate ears look much tougher, and the whole dedicated micro speaker JUST for bass has me very interested...

The klipsch do seem to be a hell of a deal right now though. ..

Opinions? Other suggestion?

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #2,420 of 5,364
Quote:
I dont see them running out of X10s for awhile, the below $150 price has been on them for a few months, under$100 kept for 3-4 weeks. And every time I check it says they have 100+ new ones for sale.

And yes, the bass packs a punch for how small the drivers are, like anything it gets better the louder you play your music. I personally plan to purchase a Fiio E11 to go with my X10s, and whatever future IEMs/headphones I get.

I haven't had much experience with earphones, but the X10 sounds like an interesting one to pick up [maybe]. Do you know how it compares to a SE215? I purchased a few for Christmas gifts and they were slightly too warm for my personal preferences. They sound really good for $100 though, I must admit.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #2,421 of 5,364
I've had both,

I think TF10 are better sounding overall but the fit can be a major problem. Both are good choices and I would say TF10 will suit your girlfriends preferences about a touch more, though honestly the X10 holds some close similarity. The reason I wouldn't recommend TF10 for you is two reasons, the fit and the treble is actually a little hot, it's not sibilant but it has good extension which really suits treble heads. So if you're not concerned about those two things, sure the TF10 are a good choice.

They can look a little goofy when worn, so as long as your girlfriend won't feel self concious about wearing them over the ear she'll be fine.

At worse they'll look like this. :smile:

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #2,422 of 5,364

Now the way I was understanding it these were designed to be driven by ipods and the like. I thought they would need no amp?

These phones (galaxy s3) that will be primary drive my HD595's to a fairly loud point. ..

A NEED for Amps might well make her reconsider for the point that it is an added hastle to a portable solution, with another battery to keep track of and more cords to keep...

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #2,423 of 5,364
I've had both,

I think TF10 are better sounding overall but the fit can be a major problem. Both are good choices and I would say TF10 will suit your girlfriends preferences about a touch more, though honestly the X10 holds some close similarity. The reason I wouldn't recommend TF10 for you is two reasons, the fit and the treble is actually a little hot, it's not sibilant but it has good extension which really suits treble heads. So if you're not concerned about those two things, sure the TF10 are a good choice.

They can look a little goofy when worn, so as long as your girlfriend won't feel self concious about wearing them over the ear she'll be fine.

At worse they'll look like this. :smile:

The look of them should not be a problem as she has long hair.
The fit is the possible trouble apparently.

What is the issue with the fit specifically? Too big?

Including picture of the ear in question, compared in size to a pack of cigarettes (100's)... it was what I had..

Or not ot wont upload
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8wdyicrqd5o18x/20130114_021604-1.jpg

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #2,424 of 5,364
They either don't stay in, fall out or cause major discomfort due to the large housings. Members go through drama trying to find a tip that suits them. There's a thread here with 500 pages of appreciation for TF10. To be honesT mine slipped in perfectly using the large tips I never had a problem, they have removable cables and plenty of upgrade cables around to alter the signature. If they fit properly I say yes go for it. I'll find the thread for you.

Here you go, take you about two months to read it all though. :tongue_smile:

:http://www.head-fi.org/t/309321/ultimate-ears-triple-fi-10-appreciation-thread

Some get a fit no problems and others have trouble.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #2,425 of 5,364
Quote:
I need 50$ IEMs with good isolation, comfort and soundstage (yeah, i know) for gaiming. I know closed cans are better but i can't wear them.

In the IEM world good isolation and soundstage in the same unit also comes with a high price tag! You may want to up your budget to $100.  Brainwavz Beta has a pretty good soundstage, not so good isolation, and are regularly <$20.

Ty... 100 $ is ok (i live in Europe though).

EDIT: something with good SQ and isolation for 50-100$?

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #2,426 of 5,364
Quote:
I've had both,

At worse they'll look like this.
smile.gif

Is that you mate?

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #2,427 of 5,364
Hello,

The question is if earphones like

Sennheiser PXC 450
Studio Beats
JVC HA-NC250

as ranked in this review,

would be suitable or advisable to use with android phones,
like samsung galaxy sIII, and to listen to music on PCs,
even with onboard sound, but listening to lossless files (like flac and so).

Some reviews state that this family of earphones request
an external amp in order to deliver proper sound quality. Would it still be good
if directly plugged into the mobile phone or PC?

Thanks,
Xezi

(this is a mixed full-size and portable headphone question, I believe it belongs here...)

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #2,428 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello,

The question is if earphones like

Sennheiser PXC 450
Studio Beats
JVC HA-NC250

as ranked in this review,

would be suitable or advisable to use with android phones,
like samsung galaxy sIII, and to listen to music on PCs,
even with onboard sound, but listening to lossless files (like flac and so).

Some reviews state that this family of earphones request
an external amp in order to deliver proper sound quality. Would it still be good
if directly plugged into the mobile phone or PC?

Thanks,
Xezi

(this is a mixed full-size and portable headphone question, I believe it belongs here...)

You can go ahead and ignore any form of headphones that say Beats as they are horrible and overpriced.  As for the noise canceling bit, do you need active noise canceling or would a good closed back set of.headphones do? You'd be surprised how much some better pairs block out...

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #2,429 of 5,364
Hi all, I'm seeking a high quality pair of IEMs for the gym (mostly weights, not running, although if suitable for running they would be used instead of my current crappy, but good for running gym ones!).  Budget £100-£200.  I listen to trance, progressive house, house and hip-hop and I love bass.  Outside the gym I have Ultrasone Pro-900's and love them to pieces.

I was considering the Shure SE 215's; Senheiser IE80 and the Sony XBA 3ip.  Would appreciate your feedback on which of these would be the most bassy headphones, ideally ones that do not sacrifice the rest of the sound range.  Open to other suggestions, but ideally IEMs that are easy to obtain in the UK.

Bump for more input.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2,430 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all, I'm seeking a high quality pair of IEMs for the gym (mostly weights, not running, although if suitable for running they would be used instead of my current crappy, but good for running gym ones!).  Budget £100-£200.  I listen to trance, progressive house, house and hip-hop and I love bass.  Outside the gym I have Ultrasone Pro-900's and love them to pieces.

I was considering the Shure SE 215's; Senheiser IE80 and the Sony XBA 3ip.  Would appreciate your feedback on which of these would be the most bassy headphones, ideally ones that do not sacrifice the rest of the sound range.  Open to other suggestions, but ideally IEMs that are easy to obtain in the UK.

Bump for more input.

I'm not too familiar with earphones, but I can vouch for the SE215 being a bassy headphone that has a clean bass response. If you like the PRO900, the SE215's treble isn't very prominent in comparison, so that might be a detraction from what you're used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back