Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #2,341 of 5,364
Hey Everyone,

So I've pretty much decided on the V-Moda M-80s (Unless someone convinces be otherwise). They are currently 109 pounds (white) and 114 pounds (black) on Amazon. Is there any reason why they would be priced differently? Should I be choosing one colour over another? I like both and am trying to come to a conclusion on which I prefer the look of, but just wanted to check if there was a difference technically? 

Also, if anyone thinks I should be considering another pair of on-ear headphones between 100 and 150 pounds, I'd really appreciate it! 

These are the links for the headphones. The model numbers for them are M-80 SHADOW and M-80-U-WPEARL. What does the U mean in the white pair? This is another thing that confuses me and makes me think it's a newer version or stock or something?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B007TRUY6C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357768605&sr=8-2 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crossfade-M-80-Shadow-On-Ear-Headphones/dp/B005HSDLCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357768605&sr=8-1

Cheers,

Mike

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2,342 of 5,364
Hey folks, been looking into using my JVC FXD80s more "leisurely" and getting more out of my main IEMs. I appreciate a bright, airy/transparent, fun/coloured IEMs with very large soundstages and high black levels. The FXD80 I'm using now is v-shaped, and vocals are unfortunately just slightly recessed. Is there an IEM out there that has all of the traits I've listed above (for those who have heard the FXD80s amazing instrumental separation and lush highs will know what I'm talking about) but with more vocals than the FXD80s? 

So essentially a v-shaped sound signature, but shaped more like a w, if that makes any sense? Budget is about $200.

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #2,344 of 5,364
Hi, I was hoping someone could help me to make a decision between several models. I'm basically looking for something portable, with good isolation and a neutral sound. The only (decent) reference that I have are a pair of Sony MDR-7506, which has been a bit of love-hate relationship for me: love the detail and the "solid" low end; hate the harsh, piercing sibilance at the high end.

So I've done my research (mostly on this site) and here's what I could gather. These are the only headphones I can buy in the 50-70€ range where I live:

Sennheiser CX 400-II:
- The general consensus seems to be that they are basically identical to the CX 300-II, but more neutral (i.e. less bass-driven and better at the high-end). Overall nothing mind-blowing, but a decent and well-ballanced pair for the price.
- But the volume control in the cord seems very flimsy to me... Can someone comment on this?

Sony MBA-1:
- The general consensus seems to be that they have great sound (for the price), but a bit poor on the "edges" (lower and higher frequencies). I'm also a bit of a sucker for design and I personally love how they look... so I always get drawn back to them.
- That said, I've seen a lot of reviews complaining about the lack of bass. Decent in quality but low on quantity. How does it compare to MDR-7506's? And do they have any sibilance as well?
- Is the difference in sound very noticeable according to the source? I intend to pair it will your average smartphone as much I do to a decent amplifier...

a-JAYS One+:
- Reviews seem moderately favorable, generally pointing out that they have more of a "fun" sound high on bass and not very neutral... They seem to have good build quality.

KLIPSCH Image S4:
- Some reviews point out that they are on the bassy and sibilant side... Two things I'm not interested in. Does the sound really change after the burn-in period?
- Some complaints about build quality as well.

AKG K312:
- Can't seem to find any user review/opinions on these...

Thanks in advance for any comment!

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #2,346 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks inline, I'm going to have a look (and hopefully a listen) at the sennheiser px100ii and akg k450 (which are now £40 locally, which might be a bargain). Once I've got the Koss and one or other of those, plus my monster urbeats and some old sony iems, I'll at least have a range of 'phones to work with, some of which are acknowledged to have particular signatures that might guide me when I come to looking at the 1 or 2 pairs of decent headphones I will stick with for concentrated listening.

Hey minus,
I happen to have the k450 also.  great portable folding sealed on-ear, but definitely a departure from the AKG 'house' sound.. it has a huge mid-bass hump that no other AKG i've heard has... very odd, but could be to make up for the difficulty getting a seal with those things.  On their own though they are a great portable.
Quote:
Hey folks, been looking into using my JVC FXD80s more "leisurely" and getting more out of my main IEMs. I appreciate a bright, airy/transparent, fun/coloured IEMs with very large soundstages and high black levels. The FXD80 I'm using now is v-shaped, and vocals are unfortunately just slightly recessed. Is there an IEM out there that has all of the traits I've listed above (for those who have heard the FXD80s amazing instrumental separation and lush highs will know what I'm talking about) but with more vocals than the FXD80s? 

Have you considered spending <$10 on some Monoprice 8320s for a bright, airy experience?

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #2,347 of 5,364
hi guys, i have a dilemma in choosing the perfect iem.
i live in singapore and have a budget of about 250 sgd, which normally falls under the us 150 line :p

what im looking for in terms of ranking is:
portability and comfort 
fun sound
the design is also quite important,sorry for those pure audiophiles but i wanna look good also heh, i dont need perfect sound cause i dont use amps

i've tried the brainwavz m2, soundmagic pl50 and fischer audio silver bullet
the m2 is my favourite but i feel like i want to go even better
the pl50 has pathetic bass but its the most comfortable
and the silver bullet has the most fantastic sound and soundstage amongst the 3 but is just too bulky

ps. i cant obtain any phonak audeo or the FA dba mk2 here so dont bother recommending it 

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #2,348 of 5,364
Hi guys,

I'm looking for new headphones to replace (or potentially upgrade from) my trusty old koss porta pros, preferably supraaural, though no real preference. The most important considerations I have are (in ranking of priority):
  • comfort
  • sound quality
  • budget ($100/£65)

A little background on my music library: I used to listen to a lot of rock/heavy metal/ rap but I have since moved on to more mellow tunes like instrumental tunes/orchestras /ballads. So its a pretty weird mix there so any headphones that are fairly balanced would be good.
Also, I need to stay in budget because I'm eyeing up a new pair of iems as well. (Both my iems and my koss porta pros mysteriously decided to stop working at the same time so i'm looking to replace both but one at a time. :wink:

Thanks guys!

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2,349 of 5,364
I need help choosing some portable phones. I'm not very savvy on these matters and i have a tight budget (below $30).
after spending the day searching the web for the best value i can afford i've reached a list of , what seems to be , very interesting phones. but i can´t make my mind about them:

Sennheiser hd 219(they are $26 in slickdeals), monoprice 8320($7), audio-technica fw-33 bijoue(around $9 with a deal), koss ksc75($15),  coby cv-185($10), MEElectronics ht-21($25), koss sportapro($23), koss portapro($35), sennheiser px100(if i can find them at $35).

for what i read buying the monoprice 8320 is pretty much a given since they are so cheap, it would be nice to have them as a spare.
but i'd like to buy another one to use on daily basis.
the koss porta pro and the sennheiser px100(if i can find them a 35) are a little out of my budget, but if the build cuality and sound are far better than the other options i might stretch to get them.
sadly, i can't test the phones since i'm in argentina and a friend visiting USA will be buying them. So i'd like to hear your opinion or experiences on this phones.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #2,350 of 5,364
hi inline,

I did get to listen to the sennheiser px100ii, akg k450 and (very briefly) grado sr60i last night at my local richer sounds. I was surprised to find that I *really* didn't like the K450s; I felt like they were imposing a really strong signature in the mid-bass that dominated everything. The 'phones were dictating to me how any piece of music should sound. A shame, as they were only £10 more than the sennheisers I went home with and much better built (at least in terms of perceived quality - hopefully the px100s will last). The px100s sounded quite warm and surprisingly had much stronger bass than the beats audio iems that came with my htc. I preferred, on short acquaintance, the overall sound of the grados but they're out of my budget for now (if I do go for something gradoesque it'll probably be the alessandro ms1s direct as they're only £70).

So when my koss ksc75 arrive I'll spend a few weeks listening to both to work out what I like and dislike about both before setting a budget and looking at something full-size for home listening. Thanks for your input, it's been helpful.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #2,351 of 5,364
Hi guys, i'm new on this forum and i need your help. I'm searching for a good pair of headphones with my budget of around 100€ and i came up with these two:

Audio technica ws-55, found at the price of 82€
Denon ahd 1100  for 95€

I listen to a wide range of music, from rap to rock, but also classical, so i want a pair of headphones which can give me good basses, but not sacrificing mids, higs and clarity of sound in general. Firstly i also considered the Grado sr80, but, thanks to this forum, i heard of their sound leak, that is incompatible with my purposes.

p.s. I'm italian, sorry for my bad english :)

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #2,352 of 5,364
I'm currently debating about picking up the GR01 because it cheaper than the GR07 on headphonebar currently, and the GR01 are considered more superior technically .However, I was just wondering how was their bass. I don't necessarily care about bass but with my previous experience with IEMs were only the RE0, the bass was obviously a little lacking. Despite it being very clear unless you actually tried to listen to the bass it wouldn't be very noticeable. I mostly listen to Post-Rock (Mono being one of the top bands for me), downtempo, Rock.

I just wondering if anyone had any comparisons for the GR01 vs RE0 despite them clearly being in different price ranges. It would be helpful because it was the only IEMs I have experience with. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #2,353 of 5,364
Have the sony v6, akg k81, soundmagic e10, vsonic gr02 and the koss ksc75s and out of all of them I really love the overall sound and the way vocals sound on the ksc75. It's an exciting sound!  But people look at me funny when I'm going down the street because of the leakage. So is there anything close/better? Prefer to keep it under the $100 mark.

Cheers! 

[I find the v6 a little aggressive at the very top frequencies but nice space, and can deal with the most complex music, e10s are great (though I preferred the pl 30s), gr02s are thumpy thumpy at times I love them at times I think they are a bit too bassy. ]

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #2,354 of 5,364
Hello, I need some help.
I'm searching a portable headphone which give me a balanced sound or a little emphasis on treble. I'm not a bass huge fan, so a sound focused on bass stuff isn't my priority. I'm looking for a headphone that matches my Sansa Clip Zip sound. I've been looking three models: Audio-Technica ATH-ES33, Sennheiser HD219 and Sony MDR-EX600. Which one do you think is more suitable for me and more affortable with U$80 of price range? P.S.: I need a store that ships to Brazil!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back