Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 8, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #2,311 of 5,364
Hi all, I need some advice for a new set of earbuds.

I have owned in past a set of Etymotic 4PT and later a set of Etymotic HF2, always used with Shure rubber eartips that gave me the best noise isolation.

I have always been happy from the sound point of view but not really from the quality point of view. The first set at some point stop to work, the same happened with the second second that i have been lucky enough to send back to the shop when still in warranty and the replacement deteriorated in the same way.

I could accept the fact that maybe it's unavoidable that these kind of objects have a limited life span but in this case I'd prefer to spend lot less for a short lived object.

I do not want to start any kind of flame I'd just like some buying suggestion for a new set, in which noise isolation and decent sound quality are my main concerns. If not already crazy cheap, I'd like it with microphone support.

Any suggestion? I'll probably end up buying a set of

MEElectronics M9P 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MEElectronics-In-Ear-Headset-inline-microphone/dp/B0038W0K20/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3P3964GEMZTRO&coliid=IQL3VBZFIFZUU

mostly to understand what's the difference between a good set and a cheap one, but if you have any other hint please let me know.

thank you

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #2,312 of 5,364
Hi all, new here and returning after a long hiatus to being able to concentrate on listening to music. Due to lack of space and opportunity to set up and listen to a full hifi separates + speakers system, it seems like for now my best bet is to find some good headphones in a sound style I like to listen to music through my macbook, maybe or maybe not with an external DAC/headphone amp.

Anyway, reading around, it seems like there are different sound 'styles' in headphones, like a 'grado sound' or a 'sennheiser sound', and as yet I don't know which I'd prefer. I recently stumbled across a lot of old threads singing the praises of the koss KSC75s, and in particular comparing them to more expensive Grados or Alessandros. I ordered a pair for £12 today, so that's step one.

My question (now we get to it), is what other cheap 'phones (1 or 2 other examples at <£20-£30) give a taste of the 'house styles' of other more expensive 'phones? I'd like to explore how realistic a soundstage I can get, in particular - would sennheiser PX100s be a good introduction here? I'm looking more for something that illustrates a certain sound signature, rather than necessarily headphones I will use forever more - just a way to see what style I prefer. Is this even a sensible approach?

My music tastes are mostly indie rock (90s Boston bands, throwing muses, pixies etc.) through to 'characterful' male vocalists like Nick Cave and Tom Waits. Currently I have the monster beats audio in-ears that came with my htc smartphone, plus the Koss I've just ordered. I'd be listening at home, so open backed headphones are fine and I don't need any isolation.

That was pretty long, wasn't it? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #2,314 of 5,364
Does anybody know of a cheap pair of in-ear phones that have excellent isolation?

I'm looking for a pair soley to wear down the gym that will drown out the in house music. I'm currently using a pair of Philips sports earphones that are starting to break up. I don't want full size headphones and out and out sound quality isn't that important as long as its decent. I just want something that will prevent me having to listen to the gyms dance music.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #2,315 of 5,364
I would suggest any of a number of nice Meelectronics buds - but also an investment is a set of Comply foam tips - they really increase the isolation of any IEM's you choose. Also some of the Meelec buds come with triple flanges, which also are great for isolation.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #2,316 of 5,364
I'm interested in buying a pair of iems that sound as flat as speakers as possible. Right now my top choice would be the heir audio tzar 350. Do you know anything better than that, around the same price?
In the past I had the audeze lcd-2 rev.1, and was deeply disappointed by them.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,318 of 5,364
Quote:

MEElectronics M9P 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MEElectronics-In-Ear-Headset-inline-microphone/dp/B0038W0K20/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3P3964GEMZTRO&coliid=IQL3VBZFIFZUU

mostly to understand what's the difference between a good set and a cheap one, but if you have any other hint please let me know.

thank you

I own a pair and I can say they get the job done for the right price. Had them for over a year now. I don't take very good car of them and I can say they are highly durable.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #2,319 of 5,364
Sennheisers CX 281 or the MX 580 both at the same price.

Well, due to the country I live in I don't have much choice and these two are probably the only good ones I can get for a reasonable price, I care more about the audio quality than isolation but if the difference in audio quality isn't much I'm willing to get the 281s.

By the way I'm sorry I made a thread but I looked for a sticky and couldn't find it

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,320 of 5,364
So I posted on this thread a few days ago.  I could not decide what to get.  I was thinking of the SE215, UE700, or x10.  I decided to go for the newer SE215 Limited Edition with added bass.  I just got them last night.  For anyone who is deciding between these earphones and has bass as a priority should go with the SE215LTD.

I spent hours and hours on this forum doing research.  UE700's knock seems to be the bass is weak and the jack is known to break.  Well while testing out these Shures I have concluded that there's just enough bass to satisfy.  It's not in your face or too boomy, but its definitely there.  So I can only imagine how disappointed I would have been if I had purchased the UE700.  I'm not an audiophile(yet).  That being said, I do enjoy quality sound.  Just wanted to write this quick post for my fellow noobs who may be faced with the same decision I had.

As for the x10, the reason I added it to the list was the price ($89) and comfort.  I also read that they have nice bass as well.  I have no knowledge of the x10's though so I will not offer any suggestions lol.  I chose not to purchase them simply because I'll be using them at the gym and on my bicycle.  The added support of the wire going over the ear was too much to pass up.  That decision also proved to be correct because if you have never tried to put these things all the way in your ear for a great seal... jeeze. I could not imagine having these things pulled out of my ears and having to go through the whole process of creating the seal again.

Another tip for noobs: If you hate IEM's because the way they feel in your ears I suggest going with the smallest size first.  I started off this way to get my ears accustomed to the IEM.  I noticed immediately that the seal just wasn't there.  I put my hands over both ears and pressed the phones in a little deeper and could hear what these bad boys are suppose to sound like.  It was obvious I needed to go up in size and honestly I WANTED to after hearing what I was missing.  So I went to the medium and then even tried the large just to be sure.  The medium's got to the depth I need and seal well. Already after 1 day I do not feel any soreness.  Oh, and I used the "Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones" to learn how to properly insert them in my ear.  You can find that thread here : http://www.head-fi.org/a/basic-guide-to-in-ear-canalphones ... make sure you follow those steps completely. The pulling up on your ear part is crucial! It opens up your ears and allows for the perfect seal.

Last thing, I promise.. Regarding the SE215's, yes it does take a couple tries to get the cable to fit well around your ear but in my opinion its not too difficult and should not deter potential buyers.  Thanks for letting me ramble on n on.  I just wanted to try and answer every question I ended up having while researching this forum.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #2,323 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi all,
Newbie here. Looking for the best phones for travel. I'd be upgrading from UE 600 IEMs that I've been happy with. I'd just like to do better.
The primary application is traveling, mainly cross country and international flights so beyond SQ, sound isolation/cancellation and long term comfort as well as portability/packability are priorities.
I'm fine with over ear, on ear or IEM. Whatever gets me the best sound on a plane. Source would be iPad/iPod with apple lossless files. Wide range of music, from indie rock to jazz to classical.
I'd like to stay at or below the $500 range. If custom IEMs would blow the roof off of anything else then I'd consider spending more.
I could add an amp/dac, but would have to be portable, the sleeker the better.
Sonically, at home, I prefer a natural/neutral presentation, but I'm guessing on a plane a slightly more bumped up EQ and forgiving presentation might help.
I went throughs the holiday gift guide and found it really useful as a starting point. The few I though of looking into are:
OVER EARS
Bose QC15
Audio Technica ATHM50
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD380
Sennheiser Momentum
Sony MDR 7520
Sony MDR-1R
Sony MDR-1RNC
ON EARS
BEYERDYNAMIC DT1350
SENNHEISER HD25-1 II
B&W P5
SENNHEISER AMPERIOR
IN EARS
Ultimate Ears 900 -$420
Etymotic ER-4PT - $300
Phonak Audéo PFE 232 - $599
Westone 4R - $500
Sennheiser IE80
CUSTOM IN EAR
Heir
JH Audio
Ultimate Ears
Thanks for your advice in advance.

id go bose qc15 for travelling

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #2,325 of 5,364
Hi all,
Newbie here. Looking for the best phones for travel. I'd be upgrading from UE 600 IEMs that I've been happy with. I'd just like to do better.
The primary application is traveling, mainly cross country and international flights so beyond SQ, sound isolation/cancellation and long term comfort as well as portability/packability are priorities.
I'm fine with over ear, on ear or IEM. Whatever gets me the best sound on a plane. Source would be iPad/iPod with apple lossless files. Wide range of music, from indie rock to jazz to classical.
I'd like to stay at or below the $500 range. If custom IEMs would blow the roof off of anything else then I'd consider spending more.
I could add an amp/dac, but would have to be portable, the sleeker the better.
Sonically, at home, I prefer a natural/neutral presentation, but I'm guessing on a plane a slightly more bumped up EQ and forgiving presentation might help.
I went throughs the holiday gift guide and found it really useful as a starting point. The few I though of looking into are:
OVER EARS
Bose QC15
Audio Technica ATHM50
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD380
Sennheiser Momentum
Sony MDR 7520
Sony MDR-1R
Sony MDR-1RNC
ON EARS
BEYERDYNAMIC DT1350
SENNHEISER HD25-1 II
B&W P5
SENNHEISER AMPERIOR
IN EARS
Ultimate Ears 900 -$420
Etymotic ER-4PT - $300
Phonak Audéo PFE 232 - $599
Westone 4R - $500
Sennheiser IE80
CUSTOM IN EAR
Heir
JH Audio
Ultimate Ears
Thanks for your advice in advance.

I would try out a real nice uiem like the Westone 4. I find those to be amazing sounding IEMs. You can use the comply foam tips whilst traveling on an airplane and it will isolate equally as well as any noise cancelling headphone. While not in flight you can switch to a better sounding tip. If you are going to invest the money, you might as well get the best sound you can get.

My second recommendation would be the DT1350 if you are looking for more of a portable headphone. Great isolation and great balanced sound and easy to listen to for long periods of time (not too bright or fatiguing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back