Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #2,296 of 5,364
Hello all, newbie here with a question. I've got a pair of Coloud "The Pop" earbuds, and was looking to move up to something with better sound(namely Klipsch S4s as that's what everyone has recommended to me). However, there seems to be little to no info on the Coloud earbuds atm, so it's hard to compare them to another pair of earbuds I've never heard, y'know? So I was wondering if anyone else here has heard these Colouds and whether a pair of Klipsch S4s would be a big enough step up to be worth the $50 I'd be spending.  Also, for those that own or have owned the Klipsch S4s how good would you say they are for listening to 80s thrash metal(Metallica, Megadeth etc).? Or is there something that'd probably work better for me than the S4s in a similar price range? Thanks in advance for any help!

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #2,297 of 5,364
Guys, i am planning to get IEM that would replace Thinksound TS02 and JVC xtreme xplosives. Both gone bad after 1.5 months of use. Not good quality.

I have a budget of <$100. I am considering Velodyne Vpulse or Shure SE215.

It will be used at gym and home 98% of time. I prefer plenty of bass. Read about Vpulse and SE215 and found that both have plenty of bass for my kind of listening.

But i am confused which one to buy. Both are priced same, have great reviews going for it.

So which one will it be. Please help. thanks

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #2,299 of 5,364
Guys, i am planning to get IEM that would replace Thinksound TS02 and JVC xtreme xplosives. Both gone bad after 1.5 months of use. Not good quality.

I have a budget of <$100. I am considering Velodyne Vpulse or Shure SE215.

It will be used at gym and home 98% of time. I prefer plenty of bass. Read about Vpulse and SE215 and found that both have plenty of bass for my kind of listening.

But i am confused which one to buy. Both are priced same, have great reviews going for it.

So which one will it be. Please help. thanks

vpulse. the detachable cable on the se215 is proned to getting damaged. i didnt/dont work out with mine. however there are times when i wore mine after i got out of the shower... after drying off. i wasnt wet or anything but must have had residual moisture from my hair and ears... i always qtip my ears.. sorry if tmi. but just to be precise here.

the left side blew out and i noticed there were like tiny tiny moisture residue inside it. i got both replaced under warranty. if i worked out with them, i couldnt imagine them lasting after the workout since i sweat a lot.

dont get me wrong! i love my se215s and they are my dailies but definitely wont use them while working out after i got mine replaced.

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #2,300 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys Ive decided that Im going to buy a pair of On-Ear style headphones for portability, to be worn while on the bus/travelling around town. Unfortunately I am attempting to save my money to buy a new laptop, so my budget is gonna have to stay at below $100. 

I listen to mostly dubstep, some metal and rock mixed in with a bit of country and other random genres. 

Ive already looked a lot into the Noontec Zoro, I like the removable cable a lot, enables me to use my V-MODA cables with them to get the control talk features. The folding/overall portability is also to my liking, but I do not like the soft pouch style case they come with. If Anything I can probably just put them in my LP2 case and it should work fine, but if there is a similar headphone that comes with a hard case I would like to see it.

Open to suggestions, please.

philips downtown? can be had for under your budget

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #2,301 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello all, newbie here with a question. I've got a pair of Coloud "The Pop" earbuds, and was looking to move up to something with better sound(namely Klipsch S4s as that's what everyone has recommended to me). However, there seems to be little to no info on the Coloud earbuds atm, so it's hard to compare them to another pair of earbuds I've never heard, y'know? So I was wondering if anyone else here has heard these Colouds and whether a pair of Klipsch S4s would be a big enough step up to be worth the $50 I'd be spending.  Also, for those that own or have owned the Klipsch S4s how good would you say they are for listening to 80s thrash metal(Metallica, Megadeth etc).? Or is there something that'd probably work better for me than the S4s in a similar price range? Thanks in advance for any help!

im pretty sure the s4 will sound way better, it will be a huge step from target earbuds to more audiphile earbuds

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #2,302 of 5,364
Quote:
I think there are just not a lot of options in that price range with your criteria. Spending the extra bucks to get an HD25-1 II would be worth it for me since you will have them for years to come. They are durable. Even the amperior was 170 on vminnovations a couple days ago refurbished.

bumping on one of these threads is usless to, its one of the most popular threads

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,303 of 5,364
Sorry for not being able to reply guys. 26 unanswered questions! Wish I could get to them, but internet is slow as molasses here. and it wouldn't be a fun vacation if I just sat around answering questions all the time :p

Huge props to the people who helped pick up the slack (Doc, inline, anyone else I might have missed, thanks!) I'll try and queue up everything unanswered towards the end of the month when I get back.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2,304 of 5,364
Just bought the Astrotec AM90, but I'm having trouble keeping the right wire over my right ear ( I want to wear them up). Can get ear hooks for generic IEMs or is there DIY of doing this?

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #2,305 of 5,364
Quote:
im pretty sure the s4 will sound way better, it will be a huge step from target earbuds to more audiphile earbuds

Thanks for the input
smile.gif
. After reading a couple other things on this site about em, I'm gonna pick a pair up.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #2,306 of 5,364
Hi all,
Newbie here. Looking for the best phones for travel. I'd be upgrading from UE 600 IEMs that I've been happy with. I'd just like to do better.

The primary application is traveling, mainly cross country and international flights so beyond SQ, sound isolation/cancellation and long term comfort as well as portability/packability are priorities.

I'm fine with over ear, on ear or IEM. Whatever gets me the best sound on a plane. Source would be iPad/iPod with apple lossless files. Wide range of music, from indie rock to jazz to classical.

I'd like to stay at or below the $500 range. If custom IEMs would blow the roof off of anything else then I'd consider spending more.
I could add an amp/dac, but would have to be portable, the sleeker the better.

Sonically, at home, I prefer a natural/neutral presentation, but I'm guessing on a plane a slightly more bumped up EQ and forgiving presentation might help.

I went throughs the holiday gift guide and found it really useful as a starting point. The few I though of looking into are:

OVER EARS
Bose QC15
Audio Technica ATHM50
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD380
Sennheiser Momentum
Sony MDR 7520
Sony MDR-1R
Sony MDR-1RNC

ON EARS
BEYERDYNAMIC DT1350
SENNHEISER HD25-1 II
B&W P5
SENNHEISER AMPERIOR

IN EARS
Ultimate Ears 900 -$420
Etymotic ER-4PT - $300
Phonak Audéo PFE 232 - $599
Westone 4R - $500
Sennheiser IE80

CUSTOM IN EAR
Heir
JH Audio
Ultimate Ears

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #2,309 of 5,364
Quote:
Ya, I would go for something like the HD25-1 II, or even some V-MODA M80s, but that would defeat my idea of having semi-cheap portables, would just make me paranoid about walking around downtown with them, for fear of them being stolen, like I am with my LP2s.

Thanks for the help though guys, after I buy myself a new laptop I will probably be more willing to spend more on some better ones.

A Monoprice 8323 would allow you to save $75 more towards those M80s and you can mess around with adapters to get your mic cable to work with it! Look around for coupon codes to bring it down below $20.  It also folds up DJ-style but it isn't on-ear.  I listened to a K518 once that wasn't too bad, but iirc it might not be bassy enough for you.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #2,310 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi all,
Newbie here. Looking for the best phones for travel. I'd be upgrading from UE 600 IEMs that I've been happy with. I'd just like to do better.
The primary application is traveling, mainly cross country and international flights so beyond SQ, sound isolation/cancellation and long term comfort as well as portability/packability are priorities.he

Hi and welcome!
There's a recent thread on travel iems:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640814/what-headphones-iems-do-you-use-to-travel-on-trains-planes

A few votes for HF5s as a starter, generally you'll find that a deep fitting IEM will out-isolate almost every active noise-cancelling phone out there without having to worry about batteries or sound quality and then you don't have to carry giant bose headphones around!  You can only isolate so much on a plane as low frequency rumble is felt, not heard!

Also consider going the customs route, which you can do with the HF5s via ACS customs, but many other IEMs can be custom fit also.  Good luck and see you in the air!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back