Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 28, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #2,161 of 5,364
Quote:
hi, im a newb on headphones, the best i have currently is monster turbine iem and it got tiring really fast. hate how the bass feels overwhelms all the others im currently in the market for a replacement, on ear / over ear is preffered, and im going to use it 99% on mobile gadgets like ipad, note2 and iphone 4.
my criteria is as follow:
1) i dont understand much about tonal balance and all, all i want is just a headphone that sounds nice and not overwhelming The Turbines are pretty warm and sort of slow down low. So I assume you'll want to avoid that.
2) it can be driven without an amp ( better with an amp is okay, as long as the amp is not a must) Most likely the choices below will
4) budget is $350 ish, don't care much about sound isolation, i'm indifferent between open cans or closed can

currently im leaning toward
1) ath-M50 Not bass emphasized like everyone says, more like the mids aren't very assuming. Clarity is decent, good extension.
2) phillips fidelio L1 No idea, sorry. Assuming these are for portable use (since this is the portable thread), I don't think people will appreciate you out in the wild with open cans though 
wink.gif

3) sennheiser momentum Slightly warm sound from the moment (haha punny) I had with them. Very, very impressive detailing, background was pitch-black, something you don't really find on portable cans nowadays. Really impressed by them. Definitely keep them in consideration.
4) vmoda M80 Warm, bass-emphasized, lush and slower sound, though not even close to being as pronounced as the Turbines.
5)beyerdynamic dt1350 From impressions on the forums, these might be the ticket in terms of the clarity aspect. Have never heard them, so just going off from reading about them. 

im living in indonesia so trying these thing is out of the question. im going to buy blind here, no tries no return. a friend is going to buy the cans from the US thanks alot

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #2,162 of 5,364
Quote:

The FX40 doesn't have nearly as much bass as the MH1C, and it's simply the clearest set I've heard anywhere near its price bracket. My girlfriend is a classically trained vocalist, and she's been unimpressed with a lot of my phones. The second she heard the FX40, she commandeered it. 

Give them a try:  http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX40S-Carbon-Nanotubes-Headphone/dp/B0079LE57C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1356756930&sr=8-5&keywords=fx40

Thanks, since it's only 20 bucks, i will def give it a shot.

Appreciated, guys.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #2,163 of 5,364
Quote:

The FX40 doesn't have nearly as much bass as the MH1C, and it's simply the clearest set I've heard anywhere near its price bracket. My girlfriend is a classically trained vocalist, and she's been unimpressed with a lot of my phones. The second she heard the FX40, she commandeered it. 

Give them a try:  http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX40S-Carbon-Nanotubes-Headphone/dp/B0079LE57C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1356756930&sr=8-5&keywords=fx40

Most definitely. Have them right here. Clarity is top-notch at this price. Though...

Quote:
Are they bass heavy? she's not a bass head at all i think, since she disliked my MH1C which i like =[

These are V-shaped. More bass than the 8320, yes (what doesn't?). Midrange clarity is on par, sort of. The treble boost give these an edge in terms of preceived clarity though.

Quote:
I think shes describing the clarity not separation.
she does not mind having a large sound stage, but clarity is a must. if it has to sacrifice the sound stage to gain clarity, its fine.

Again, might want to look into the E30. Sacrifice of soundstage for that last bit of clarity, like you described.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #2,164 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, i'm looking for a pair of IEM that sounds like Monoprice 8320 but with a better fit since my friend is a lady.
she likes the sound characteristic of my 8320 but she just couldn't find a perfect fit.

ps: she said my MH1C is not her taste due to too much bass lol

budget?  Might wanna look into some Vsonics.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #2,165 of 5,364
Quote:

Most definitely. Have them right here. Clarity is top-notch at this price. Though...

These are V-shaped. More bass than the 8320, yes (what doesn't?). Midrange clarity is on par, sort of. The treble boost give these an edge in terms of preceived clarity though.

Again, might want to look into the E30. Sacrifice of soundstage for that last bit of clarity, like you described.

Thanks, i will try out the FX40 first.
but i will keep E30 in my mind if she dislike the FX40.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #2,167 of 5,364
Sorry, I should have included something about listening preferences in my previous post. I listen to pretty much everything except hardcore Hip Hop and Country, with a preference towards Classical, Jazz and more acoustic alternative. My home system consists of a lot of tubes, vinyl and Martin Logan CLS's for speakers, so I favor midrange accuracy, imaging and air. The headphones I use most at home are a modified pair of Sennheiser HD 580 HD's driven out of the same ALO Continental V2 I use when traveling.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #2,168 of 5,364
Quote:
Sorry, I should have included something about listening preferences in my previous post. I listen to pretty much everything except hardcore Hip Hop and Country, with a preference towards Classical, Jazz and more acoustic alternative. My home system consists of a lot of tubes, vinyl and Martin Logan CLS's for speakers, so I favor midrange accuracy, imaging and air. The headphones I use most at home are a modified pair of Sennheiser HD 580 HD's driven out of the same ALO Continental V2 I use when traveling.

Budget?

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #2,169 of 5,364
Quote:

Original post here:
Hello all, I'm new to this board, but certainly not new to audio in general and headphones in particular. I'm a frequent traveler on a plane every other week or so. My current travel rig consists of a 7th Gen iPod Classic 160G, an ALO Continental V2 amp and a set of Stephan Audio modified B&W P5's. Depending on where I'm able to sit on the plane the P5's sometimes don't offer enough isolation, so I'm giving some thought to a good set of IEM's having used a few different Sony's and Shure's. I'm intrigued with the Heir Audio A4i's and am curious for thoughts and impressions from the community here.
Thanks in advance!

Since he mentioned the 4.Ai, gonna assume it's under 400.  

Try the SM3/UM3X out. Warm sound, good for your genres mentioned. Although the W4 has a remarkably similar tonality to the HD650 (have the HD580, the Westones have slightly more midbass and less treble) though it's rather above budget (although earphonesolutions often have 20-25% coupons for them, authorized dealer). Fantastic midrange on all three mentioned. The W4s are a tad more balanced out though. SM3s are warmer, lusher, isolate a bit better. Imaging would be a tie, the three presents quite differently. UM3X are more separation oriented, the SM3 are more enveloping and all-around, the W4 are somewhere in the middle. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #2,171 of 5,364
Quote:
hi, im a newb on headphones, the best i have currently is monster turbine iem and it got tiring really fast. hate how the bass feels overwhelms all the others im currently in the market for a replacement, on ear / over ear is preffered, and im going to use it 99% on mobile gadgets like ipad, note2 and iphone 4.
my criteria is as follow:
1) i dont understand much about tonal balance and all, all i want is just a headphone that sounds nice and not overwhelming
2) it can be driven without an amp ( better with an amp is okay, as long as the amp is not a must)
3) clarity, good bass but not overwhelming
4) budget is $350 ish, don't care much about sound isolation, i'm indifferent between open cans or closed cans

currently im leaning toward
1) ath-M50
2) phillips fidelio L1
3) sennheiser momentum
4) vmoda M80
5)beyerdynamic dt1350

im living in indonesia so trying these thing is out of the question. im going to buy blind here, no tries no return. a friend is going to buy the cans from the US thanks alot

thanks TwinQY, sorry i forgot to mention the reason why i'm indifferent between open cans or closed cans is that maybe 90% of its use is either at home (i dont have any stereo or anything like that) or at work (in my own office) so i dont think that i will bother others with an open cans

i also forgot to mention that i listen 2 a relatively broad kind of music, i don't have a favorite genre in particular, im listening from accoustic alchemy , top 40 "currently popular music" , renee olstead to trance like ASOT by armin van buuren. pretty much anything i can get my hand on that i happens to like.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #2,173 of 5,364
I tried the downtowns for about an hour, and they sounded very good to me. I definitely was not hearing excessively muddy bass, that's for sure. Have you seen Tyll's video review at innerfidelity? It's a good one.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #2,174 of 5,364
they still at winners Waynenumm?

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #2,175 of 5,364
Quote:

For me, earbuds pop out all the time. It's just how they are. There's really nothing keeping them in apart from the structure of your ear, and even then... At least IEMs get a seal. Haven't experienced any earbuds with decent deep bass apart from the EarPods. A good upgrade in terms of proficiency from the stock iBuds, though I miss the tonality of the older ones. Guess you're going for the over-ear style if you're exercising with these. The Yuins and Blox are highly regarded here as well, but they don't do much for your ergonomics problem (at least the EarPods are more ergonomic than your typical earbuds). 

Sure you can't go with an IEM with a shallow seal? With comfortable tips (preferably foam), you can't even feel them when they go in shallow. The Brainwavz Beta would be a good example of this.

Thanks for your response! Hmm, I think I should try stepping out of my comfort zone a bit. You said something about the Brainwavz Beta, how do they compare with the NuForce NE-600X? The minimum requirement for me is to have earbuds/IEMs that don't sound tinny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back