Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #2,133 of 5,364
Hi guys, some of you may remember me from the summer when I was seeking your advice back then, however you probably dont! 

I was looking at the HD 25-1 ii amongst others, but when I went to try them out I also demo'd the AKG K550 and opted for those at the time. I love the sound, the comfort, in fact everything about them! However, my travel paterns have changed and I'm travelling more and more and really could do with a set of more portable headphone and possibly with a bit more noise cancellation as its not something I find the 550s excel at but at the same time its not terrible. Another requirement is noise leak - I would like this to be down to a minimal! 

I mainly listen to electro/dance but also some indie so the headphone need to be a good all rounder but can edge more to wards the dance side. As I said I love the sound of the 550s.

They will pretty much just be ran off an un-amped Ipod Classic 5th gen and possibly off my Ultrabook from time to time.

Once again I've been looking at the HD 25-1 ii but I need another listen really as i cant remember why I wasnt blown away by them. Perhaps at the time I just preferred the full size cans. I'm also looking at the AiAiAi TMA-1 what are people opinions? Are there any other options I should be looking at?

Any help much appreciated! 

Thanks guys

Sam

P.s. I have tried the V Moda crossfades and didnt get on with them due to the odd shape of the pads. Same problem with the B&W p3 and p5 - I prefer the more conventional pad shape

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #2,134 of 5,364
Hello all, I'm new to this board, but certainly not new to audio in general and headphones in particular. I'm a frequent traveler on a plane every other week or so. My current travel rig consists of a 7th Gen iPod Classic 160G, an ALO Continental V2 amp and a set of Stephan Audio modified B&W P5's. Depending on where I'm able to sit on the plane the P5's sometimes don't offer enough isolation, so I'm giving some thought to a good set of IEM's having used a few different Sony's and Shure's. I'm intrigued with the Heir Audio A4i's and am curious for thoughts and impressions from the community here.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #2,135 of 5,364
Portability on the M50s are relative from one user to another. Size isn't that bad, but the coiled cable can be heavy. Good isolation, but the pads are pleather, people have complained that they get too hot after prolonged use, I found them okay after a few minutes. Easy to drive. Any specific sound preferences, genres, etc?

Thanks for the answer. I listen to a variety of musical genres, mostly being rock or metal.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #2,136 of 5,364
Heya guys.

I'm currently looking for a pair of portable headphones. 

1. They cannot leak. Obviously no headphones are perfect in this department, but as little leakage as possible.

2. I'd prefer on-ear, but if there are any over-ear headphones that are good for portable use then that's okay.

3. I'm going to use them with my iPod Touch.

4. I like bass. I'm by no means a basshead, but I do like a good bass. I looooove the sound of my DT770 pro 80 ohm if you need a reference.

5. They need to be good looking. I'm sorry, some of you might wanna hurt me by saying that, but I'm just like that. I don't want a pair of ugly and bulky looking headphones. 

6. My budget is around $200. Although keep in mind I live in Sweden where prices can be way higher than the ones in America. For example, you can get a pair of AKG K267 in the US for the same price that you can get a pair of AKG K167 in Sweden. Just sayin'

Any help is appreciated

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #2,138 of 5,364
Hello all,
I'm looking for my first "serious" pair of IEM's and have narrowed down the game for two models - Shure SE215 and Klipsch X10.
To make a long story short, it basically gets down to this:
- The SE215 can be conveniently bought from a local authorized dealer, with full warranty.
- The X10 can only be bought abroad (via Amazon), imported, and at the bottom line be a bit more expensive (assuming no surprises in regards to taxes - about 20$-25$ more overall) and have no warranty (or not a useful one, anyway - I won't ship it back to Amazon in case of problems, the cost isn't worth it probably).
The X10 also seems to be officially discontinued.

Now, considering all of the above, are the X10 (or anything else, for that matter, in the sub 90$ range) a definite improvement over the SE215 that is worth the trouble?

Thanks, Adam.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #2,139 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello all,
I'm looking for my first "serious" pair of IEM's and have narrowed down the game for two models - Shure SE215 and Klipsch X10.
To make a long story short, it basically gets down to this:
- The SE215 can be conveniently bought from a local authorized dealer, with full warranty.
- The X10 can only be bought abroad (via Amazon), imported, and at the bottom line be a bit more expensive (assuming no surprises in regards to taxes - about 20$-25$ more overall) and have no warranty (or not a useful one, anyway - I won't ship it back to Amazon in case of problems, the cost isn't worth it probably).
The X10 also seems to be officially discontinued.

Now, considering all of the above, are the X10 (or anything else, for that matter, in the sub 90$ range) a definite improvement over the SE215 that is worth the trouble?

Thanks, Adam.

More of a sidegrade than anything else. Will depend on your sound preferences, preferred genres. Even then, the X10 seem like too much of a hassle.

Quote:
Does the hifiman RE-272 leak a lot of sound? I;m looking for an IEM with a lot of isolation and minimal leakage, and I heard the RE-272 was an open back IEM which worried me.

I though the new RE-400/600 were the ones that had vents. Don't remember the RE-262 having vents. Not sure about the RE-272, but probably doesn't. 

Quote:
Heya guys.

I'm currently looking for a pair of portable headphones. 

1. They cannot leak. Obviously no headphones are perfect in this department, but as little leakage as possible.

2. I'd prefer on-ear, but if there are any over-ear headphones that are good for portable use then that's okay.

3. I'm going to use them with my iPod Touch.

4. I like bass. I'm by no means a basshead, but I do like a good bass. I looooove the sound of my DT770 pro 80 ohm if you need a reference.

5. They need to be good looking. I'm sorry, some of you might wanna hurt me by saying that, but I'm just like that. I don't want a pair of ugly and bulky looking headphones. 

6. My budget is around $200. Although keep in mind I live in Sweden where prices can be way higher than the ones in America. For example, you can get a pair of AKG K267 in the US for the same price that you can get a pair of AKG K167 in Sweden. Just sayin'

Any help is appreciated

Guess the XB500s are out of the equations then. 
tongue.gif
 How about the new XB line? Seem to look pretty sleek, haven't heard them, so not sure about the sound. You'll have to do a bit more research on that. Also the HD25-1, great on-ears, fantastic bass kick, tight, aggressive sound. Amazing isolation, almost IEM-esque. Might be above budget though. Used, some sellers, you could get a better deal. Not sure about the EU situation with these though.

Also the LP2. Over-ear, but still pretty portable. No leakage outwards, but average isolation. Plenty of bass, fits right under that budget. Aesthetics are pretty nice IMO.

Quote:
Hello all, I'm new to this board, but certainly not new to audio in general and headphones in particular. I'm a frequent traveler on a plane every other week or so. My current travel rig consists of a 7th Gen iPod Classic 160G, an ALO Continental V2 amp and a set of Stephan Audio modified B&W P5's. Depending on where I'm able to sit on the plane the P5's sometimes don't offer enough isolation, so I'm giving some thought to a good set of IEM's having used a few different Sony's and Shure's. I'm intrigued with the Heir Audio A4i's and am curious for thoughts and impressions from the community here.
Thanks in advance!

Hello head-fi!

I'm new around here and am looking for good pair of IEMs that are around $100.

Sound quality and comfort come first for me - any suggestions?

Preferred genres, sound preferences? Any consideration/opinions towards build?

Repost from before:
New Rule:

When asking for headphone recommendations, please also list the type of music you listen to. This greatly affects what advice you'll get.

Quote:
Thanks for the answer. I listen to a variety of musical genres, mostly being rock or metal.

Then try out the M50, good overall tonality for rock, sometimes a bit metallic in the treble. The SRH840 also do quite well for rock. 

Quote:
Hi guys, some of you may remember me from the summer when I was seeking your advice back then, however you probably dont! 

I was looking at the HD 25-1 ii amongst others, but when I went to try them out I also demo'd the AKG K550 and opted for those at the time. I love the sound, the comfort, in fact everything about them! However, my travel paterns have changed and I'm travelling more and more and really could do with a set of more portable headphone and possibly with a bit more noise cancellation as its not something I find the 550s excel at but at the same time its not terrible. Another requirement is noise leak - I would like this to be down to a minimal! 

I mainly listen to electro/dance but also some indie so the headphone need to be a good all rounder but can edge more to wards the dance side. As I said I love the sound of the 550s.

They will pretty much just be ran off an un-amped Ipod Classic 5th gen and possibly off my Ultrabook from time to time.

Once again I've been looking at the HD 25-1 ii but I need another listen really as i cant remember why I wasnt blown away by them. Perhaps at the time I just preferred the full size cans. I'm also looking at the AiAiAi TMA-1 what are people opinions? Are there any other options I should be looking at?

Any help much appreciated! 

Thanks guys

Sam

P.s. I have tried the V Moda crossfades and didnt get on with them due to the odd shape of the pads. Same problem with the B&W p3 and p5 - I prefer the more conventional pad shape

The TMA-1 would be quite a different phone from the HD25-1. Much, much, darker, and warmer as well. Not very fast transients compared to the Senns, so might not keep up as well for electronic. Try the K618 or the M80s yet? Different approaches to sound, better comfort IMO. If you like the K550, might want to look into the DT1350 (haven't heard them personally though).

Quote:
A quick question,
How does the re-262 bass compare to the bass of the philips SHE3590?

The Philips have much, much more bass. The quantity can get excessive.  The RE-262 have more texture, goes deeper, softer notes but somehow more articulate, from memory. Don't even need to compare the rest of the spectrum. The RE-262s are the more proficient phones, through and through.

Quote:
Hello head-fi!

I'm new around here and am looking for good pair of IEMs that are around $100.

Sound quality and comfort come first for me - any suggestions?

Preferred genres, sound preferences? Any consideration/opinions towards isolation, build?

Quote:
I looking forward for a pair of in-ear headphones
my budget is $0-$50
Isolation is a Must

I usually listen to trance, house, pop, rnb, rock and bachata.

I also like headphones with some good bass and if go a bit over budget would be good by having cellphone controller 

ty

MH1Cs are pretty fun and bassy, good for techno and pop. Also one of the few IEMs at that price with mic/remote capabilities.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #2,140 of 5,364
Hello all, there are so many headphones out there that there is no hope for me to select one on my own. Here is my story:

I'm a university student and I was looking to get headphones before the Spring semester starts. I will be wearing them on the train and also while walking (which I have to do a lot of), so I need them to be the ear-bud kind, I don't want them to have the band that goes around the head. I currently use the Sony MDR-V6 (sometimes with a FiiO E6 amp) and really like the way they sound.

I'm not quiet comfortable with the ones that actually enter the ear canals (I believe they're called IEMs?), so I would like to avoid those.

What I need:
- Something that doesn't pop out of the ears easily while walking and moving around,
- Be able to pump out deeper than average bass without losing the mids and highs. (Yes, I REALLY like bass, but NOT the muddled/"cool" Beats by Dre kind)

BIG pluses:
- Cord as long as the ones that come with iPhones/iPads,
- No tangling of cord,

I listen to trance and progressive. I'm a huge fan of Armin van Buuren's mixes, for example.

Design-wise, I'm not quiet sure how to explain it, but I would prefer them to be something that fit into the curvature of my ears, or perhaps the athletic kind that are supported by the back and top of the ears. I get ultra annoyed when the little iPhone ear-buds pop out or feel loose, this would be unacceptable with the ones I get.

Price range: Cheaper the better. I'm in college, so I'm practically broke
tongue.gif
. I'm okay with spending up to $70-$80. Heck, even $70 will make me feel the pinch, but oh well.

Yes, I realise these are ear-buds we're talking about and I'm not spending hundreds, so I'm not expecting a miracle, but I DO want decent (and non-tinny) quality sound.

Thank you for your help!

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #2,141 of 5,364
Thanks for the input :)

Interesting to hear about the TMA-1, definitely dont sound the right ones for me then as I like a nice detailed and fast sound to my music.

Haven't tried the k618, may have to give them a listen. Now you say it I cant remember if it was the M80s or the crossfades I tried. I believe they ear pads are the same shape and thats what I didn't get a long with.

Unfortunately the DT1350s are a little out of my budget as in the UK they are about £250 

Quote:
The TMA-1 would be quite a different phone from the HD25-1. Much, much, darker, and warmer as well. Not very fast transients compared to the Senns, so might not keep up as well for electronic. Try the K618 or the M80s yet? Different approaches to sound, better comfort IMO. If you like the K550, might want to look into the DT1350 (haven't heard them personally though).

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #2,142 of 5,364
Tough choice. Would say the X10 do pretty well for what you're asking apart from soundstage (not a lot in IEMs, these are even more average). Haven't heard the TDKs. I would try to avoid putting in more recommendations because you seem to have a pretty good grasp on what you might want. Don't want to ruin it by confusing you with too many choices. But I would say that the EPH100 are also worth a look at if you want great tonality for those genres, as well as some decent soundstage.
Thank you for the input! I actually think the EPH100 would better suit my current tastes and preference, but I'm excited to see if the BA200 will introduce me to a new style of listening. This will be my first experience with an earphone that could be considered analytical. I've enjoyed the process of finding the right IEM with head-fi. I'm glad that I go through head-fi phases, if I was on here all the time I'd be broke :p. Thanks everyone, after reading impressions by other people for years I may finally do my own when I get the TDKs!

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #2,144 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey ty, but do you know more specific headphones that you could recommend me ? because it's hard to find those sony's

Wrong quote above. It's almost impossible not to find those Sonys. Yeah, Amazon is out of stock at the moment. But there is a staggering amount of ebay sellers who have them in stock. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2736&_nkw=Sony+MH1c. And most of them are genuine. 

If the mic/remote isn't mandatory, the M2, GR02 Bass would do fine for your genres as well. If you're in Canada, or near Canada, or know someone in/near Canada, the TDK MT300s go for $5 (highest $10) here, some of the best textured bass under $40. Maybe a kind head-fier could ship out some extra pairs as well (the people on the MT300 thread are being surprisingly nice about that right now).

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #2,145 of 5,364
Quote:

Wrong quote above. It's almost impossible not to find those Sonys. Yeah, Amazon is out of stock at the moment. But there is a staggering amount of ebay sellers who have them in stock. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2736&_nkw=Sony+MH1c. And most of them are genuine. 

If the mic/remote isn't mandatory, the M2, GR02 Bass would do fine for your genres as well. If you're in Canada, or near Canada, or know someone in/near Canada, the TDK MT300s go for $5 (highest $10) here, some of the best textured bass under $40. Maybe a kind head-fier could ship out some extra pairs as well (the people on the MT300 thread are being surprisingly nice about that right now).

Ty,
Sony website doesnt have it at least the canadian one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back