Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #2,027 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi can any pro here please recommend me a very good IEM? Budget can be 500-1000 usd.. 

With your budget, I suggest you hold off until next year. There are some seriously good iems coming in early 2013.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #2,028 of 5,364
What's the popular choice for an IEM that is low in microphonics and has a very good seal for ~$60?

I'm looking for a replacement for my Sennheiser CX300B and am using some Skullcandy's I found discarded at work in the interim and their microphonics are driving me nuts. I recall it not being a problem with the CX300, maybe partially because of the J style cable?

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #2,029 of 5,364
Quote:
What's the popular choice for an IEM that is low in microphonics and has a very good seal for ~$60?

I'm looking for a replacement for my Sennheiser CX300B and am using some Skullcandy's I found discarded at work in the interim and their microphonics are driving me nuts. I recall it not being a problem with the CX300, maybe partially because of the J style cable?

Consider some IEMS that have the cord wrapped over the ear. This pretty  much eliminates cord noise. Meelectronics M series have some good ones. As far as a good seal goes, that varies from person to person. I would reccomend adding some foam tips to whatever you get, these will seal well for a lot of people. Comply has some good ones. Check their compatibility chart first though.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #2,030 of 5,364
I need help. I got Sony XBA-3s for $280. I feel like I was totally cheated with that price

I have decided to return them for $$ and buy new headphones.,

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBA-4IP-Drivers-Balanced-Armature/dp/B006K55716/ref=sr_1_94?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356550490&sr=1-94&keywords=earbuds

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-GR8-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B002QL3CX8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

These are the 2 choices I have in mind. Any other suggestions? Which one is overall better? Which should be a better bang for buck buy?

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #2,031 of 5,364
Also, anyone know a reliable vendor for the Sony MH1C when the Amazon page is saying that it's unavailable? There are a few on eBay from Hong Kong and China who seem to be high rated sellers...

edit: just ordered some MH1C's from eBay seller Starhall. A couple hours of browsing head-fi was enough of a recommendation. $32 is a pretty minimal investment.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #2,033 of 5,364
Quote:
I need help. I got Sony XBA-3s for $280. I feel like I was totally cheated with that price

I have decided to return them for $$ and buy new headphones.,

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBA-4IP-Drivers-Balanced-Armature/dp/B006K55716/ref=sr_1_94?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356550490&sr=1-94&keywords=earbuds

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-GR8-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B002QL3CX8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

These are the 2 choices I have in mind. Any other suggestions? Which one is overall better? Which should be a better bang for buck buy?

^ that's my post. I am bumping with further specifics. Because of new rule.

Budget: $300
Closed or open back: Closed preferably
, but either would work
I have read the section below which describes the differences between open and closed back: ya 
Portable or non portable: Portable - I'm looking for not the big headphones but portable you-can-work-out-in kinda stuff
Sound preference: Nice audible bass and trebble that you can shake your head to, clear warm mids (emphasis on warm). I'd like a world closed only to myself with the music surrounding me
Durability: Would like it to be sturdy, stay in your ears, not have to return after a month, rather keep for a year :)
Isolation: I want to be on an island by myself
Size: Small and can fit in a bag, a pouch, but any size would do as long as it's not those big over your entire ear headphones
Ear preference: Inner ear, or something else that would help it stick in 
What will you be using as the source? (Iphone, computer, etc): Ipod, I also have a nice soundcard for my computer, so also my computer as well yea
Do you have an amplifier for the headphones? Nope, just a soundcard
Any other requests? Headphones attuned to hiphop, rap, rock, and some chillstep or even classical tbh.

Additional info: I got the sony XBA-3s but I feel liek I can get more bang for my buck. They cost me $280 :xf_eek:

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #2,034 of 5,364
Hi, I'm trying to get some headphones and am pretty overwhelmed by information from friends, the internet, etc.

I am in college, and like to take the train home (about an 8 hour ride) and last time I did it with my cheapo ear buds my ears hurt for days after. I want some comfortable headphones that go over my ears. I don't have smart ears or anything, I don't need anything crazy fancy, I just want something that's comfortable and sounds good enough. I don't listen to very heavy stuff, I guess the stuff I listen to could be classified as "indie pop"?

I don't want to spend more than $100, and I figure since I don't need anything fancy I won't need to spend THAT much. 

Oh also...I don't want them to look dumb. 
So, comfortable, not dumb, and puts music into my ears. Those are pretty much my requirements. 

Thanks

- Kate

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #2,035 of 5,364

New Rule:

When asking for headphone recommendations, please also list the type of music you listen to. This greatly affects what advice you'll get.

Please and thank you!

Quote:
New to the head-fi world. Mostly interested in IEMs. Started with the sony MDR-EX10lp. Then got the MEElectronics M9. After reading Jokers Mulit-IEM thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-267-iems-compared-fitear-to-go-334-added-12-16-12 and browsing online found some ID America Sparks for ~$25. Very interested to see how the Sparks compare to the EX10 and M9. 

M9 would be a upgrade in every sense of the word. The Sonys are the hallmark of typical stock Sony IEMs/buds infamous for their mediocrity. No idea about the Sparks, sorry. 
frown.gif

Quote:
New to Head-Fi.  I was looking at the Klipsch x10 (85$) and the x7i (99$).  I listen to a large range of music from classic, pop, and R&B.  Which would be the better buy?

X10, no doubt. They had the X7i on sale here for Boxing Day, not very impressive sounding. Isolation is amazing on both though, could demo them even with all that background noise.

Quote:
Hi, I am getting new IEMs in Canada, with a budget of $100. Currently I have narrowed it down to two headphones although I wouldn't mind suggestions.
Fischer Audio Tandem ($89)
Audiofly AF56 ($89)
I listen to orchestral and pop pieces and I prefer a sound signature with strong detailed mids, weighty rumbling bass and delicate highs.
Which one of these IEMs would be best for me, thanks.

I see the term "delicate" highs being tossed around all the time. Don't understand why anyone would want that. People enjoy brittle and anemic highs?

GR06s are very mid-centric, some of the best mids in that bracket, no doubt. SE215 also fit what you're looking for. Bass is midbassy, but nicely textured (yes, rumbles a bit), smooth forward mids, and highs drop off a bit and don't intrude much. Also the (wait for it) PFE012. Dunu Craters work for mid-forward stuff as well.

Quote:
Looking for an upgrade from my S4s that recently broke. I liked the bass on them, but mids weren't amazing and sibilence was a problem on the treble end.
What I'm looking for: sturdy design, straight down, <$140
Here's what I'm considering: re-0, re-262, ue600.
Any suggestions?

Sturdy design - cross off the RE0 immediately. RE262, not so much, but keep an eye out. Sturdy build with more mids and solid bass, look into the EPH100.

Quote:
Ok, so i've done a little more research. Like I say below, I have been turned off by some of the reviews for the UEs in terms of quality. A lot of people seem to be having problems with durability. I've narrowed it down to two choices now: 

HiFiMan RE-272
Vsonic GR07

These both seem to be good all-rounders from what i've read. The RE-272, from what I've read has a little more bass than the RE-262 - possibly putting it closer to the sound of the GR07? I also like what i'm hearing about the GR07. Not many people complain about the built quality, as compared to the UEs, and people seem to say that they are quite versatile as well.

Out of these 2, which will provide for the most versatile use for what I listen to?

Thanks very much for the help TwinQY.

GR07s suit the all-rounder purpose very nicely. Have only heard the RE262 though, so can't confirm on the RE272.

Quote:
^ that's my post. I am bumping with further specifics. Because of new rule.

Budget: $300
Closed or open back: Closed preferably, but either would work I have read the section below which describes the differences between open and closed back: ya
Portable or non portable: Portable - I'm looking for not the big headphones but portable you-can-work-out-in kinda stuff
Sound preference: Nice audible bass and trebble that you can shake your head to, clear warm mids (emphasis on warm). I'd like a world closed only to myself with the music surrounding me
Durability: Would like it to be sturdy, stay in your ears, not have to return after a month, rather keep for a year :)
Isolation: I want to be on an island by myself
Size: Small and can fit in a bag, a pouch, but any size would do as long as it's not those big over your entire ear headphones
Ear preference: Inner ear, or something else that would help it stick in
What will you be using as the source? (Iphone, computer, etc): Ipod, I also have a nice soundcard for my computer, so also my computer as well yea
Do you have an amplifier for the headphones? Nope, just a soundcardny other requests?
Headphones attuned to hiphop, rap, rock, and some chillstep or even classical tbh.
Additional info: I got the sony XBA-3s but I feel liek I can get more bang for my buck. They cost me $280 :xf_eek:

That's...a horrible price on the XBA-3. I bought my pair for $99.  Still not sure if you want IEMs or on-ears (pardon my horrible reading comprehension), but from the highlighted part, I'll assume IEMs. Although the M80s would fit the ticket for warm mids, nice bass emphasis, small size, durability. Not on isolation though.

Anyways, back to the IEMS. MTPC, UM3X/SM3, W2, GR07, and the PFE122 are definitely worth looking into. All have varying levels of warmth, but can be considered as having said attribute. Easy to drive, pretty sensitive. Honestly any one of them would do. Pick your poison!

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #2,036 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, I'm trying to get some headphones and am pretty overwhelmed by information from friends, the internet, etc.

I am in college, and like to take the train home (about an 8 hour ride) and last time I did it with my cheapo ear buds my ears hurt for days after. I want some comfortable headphones that go over my ears. I don't have smart ears or anything, I don't need anything crazy fancy, I just want something that's comfortable and sounds good enough. I don't listen to very heavy stuff, I guess the stuff I listen to could be classified as "indie pop"?

I don't want to spend more than $100, and I figure since I don't need anything fancy I won't need to spend THAT much. 

Oh also...I don't want them to look dumb. 
So, comfortable, not dumb, and puts music into my ears. Those are pretty much my requirements. 

Thanks

- Kate

Comfort-wise, felt nothing came close to the PFE012. Smooth sound for indie as well. The GR06 are also mid-centric, solid for indie. E30 and MC5 are nicely balanced, good for anything. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #2,039 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks for the info, but I'm actually looking for over ear headphones. Any ideas on those?

Duh. Sorry about that. Personally find the CAL! to be very good for indie, warm, smooth. Not the best build for portable use though. The Uptowns look pretty sleeky if I do say so myself, and great sound. Amazon price is a bit...err, over the top compared to the usual price you can find with these. On sale fairly often.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #2,040 of 5,364
So now I'm browsing and looking for the cheapest GR02's, with taxes and VAT they end up costing like 70$.. Damn VAT.
Only "European" shop I've found that has them is http://www.headphones4.eu, which says the price has VAT included, but I can't find where they ship from, because if they ship from outside the EU it can be the same as buying from Ebay. Does anyone know if this site is legit and ships from within the EU?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back