Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,996 of 5,364
For those looking ahead to Easter........................

41NZKaCFvKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #1,997 of 5,364
I am looking for IEM's for my sister. Build quality and design (13 years old girl) is important, but good sound is in the end what matters the most. I do not think she would appreciate cabels designed to go around the ear. Mic and iPhone controls on the cord is wanted. When it comes to price, I am not sure how much she is willing to spend, but as long as it is under $100 it should be fine.

Thankful for all answers...

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #1,998 of 5,364
Hi folks, 

I've had some Sennheiser CX299 phones for Xmas. Compared to my old (8 years) Sennheisers they are terrible! So tinny and lacking base.

The drivers are obviously much smaller and the design different from my old ones. As we can't try in-ear phones in the shop I'm wondering if modern budget phones are all like this or if I've got a faulty product? 

Advice appreciated.  

Alex.  

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,999 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys!

I'm currently looking for some in-ears. I'm not too picky when it comes to sound but comfort is really important to me. I used to have the V-moda vibe duo ones but they were really uncomfortable and kept falling out of my ears.

Currently I'm considering a-JAYS One+ (these have 5 different tips) or AIAIAI Pipe (these just look really cool).

Can anyone compare these two to the v-modas?

Preferred music genres so we can help narrow down in terms of sound? AIAIAIs are usually quite dark and congested sounding, the Pipes were no exception. Have not heard the a-JAYS. Do you have a budget?

Quote:
Hi there,

As you could see I'm new in here. So i decided to buy a new pair of in-ear headphones, after my old ones got wet after a big rain... Even then after they dryed they still work :)
But i still want to buy myself a new ones to get some better sound quality. After some resurch in here i fould some of the best <50$ (whitch is my price tag).
So the ones i fould are :
Sonic Magic E10 witch i found to be good in build quality, and are good in SQ for the price of 35$, even then they are not the best pick (i think).

Brainwavz M5 witch i found in some reviews to be one of the best <50$, good SQ and BQ, good looking and have a nice pakage.

VSonic VC02 - maybe a hype, idk but many people are praging them to be the best under 50$ and even above, compareing them with some 80,90$ ones. I think they have good SQ, BQ, good number of accesories, and to be comfy for some:)

Lastly i found Sony XBA-1 witch are a bit over the price of 50$ but even then i could consider them too. I found them to have good BQ and a decent SQ, you'll tell more

My portable headphones are AKG K314P. I like them, so maybe whatever i got it will be an improvment but after all i seek the best :wink:
I listen almost everything, starting at pop, hip-hop, rap, songs with nice vocals,techno, a little dupstep and some soundtracks with have some classical music in them. So i need in-ear that could have a good performance in every type of music. I am not a bass-head but i still want some with witch i could rock some techno.  The things that i am seeking from the headphones are 1st SQ, 2-nd BQ and comfort becouse i listen every day music, so at least they have to be comfy enough to spend 1-3 hours non-stop in listening.
I know some of you will recomend me the Sony MH1C but i found them to be with bad cable, heavy, and could not work with some devices, so i think they are not the ones to buy.
I am wiling to take other recomendations for some other in-ear, if there are others good.
Btw Have in maind that i am not goind to amp my in-ear !

So if you recomend me a choise please explain why you pick thouse in compair to the other ones :wink:
If someone could compair the 4 of them i will be very happy.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Don't worry, no MH1C hype around here. Am also currently interested in the VC02, but from the looks of impressions, it's not exactly a bass emphasized set, so might not be for techno or hip-hop. Of course, this is after not having heard them, so what do I know?
tongue.gif
 The M5s were not all-rounders by any means, very much skewed towards the bass. The E10s are decently balanced, might lack just the tiniest amount of low end kick, but other than that, I think they could work, especially in terms of comfort. XBA-1s, not much to say except similar to the E10 but with more body. Housing isn't as ergonomic though. Another way you could go would be the GR02 Bass. Yes, bass-emphasized, but everything else manages to stay present sounding, not at all overwhelmed. Mids are clearer than most bassy phones, and it's a great performer, easily hits above it's price point.

Quote:
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a good in-ear and my budget would be something around 150 euros max. My old ones were jays q-jays but one of the plugs isn't working anymore. I liked them quite a lot but I did want a little more bass out of them. I listen to heavy metal, rock, electronic (house, prog. house, disco, electro) and a lot of classical too. I'll be using them mostly when commuting to school so a normal noise isolation is a must. A mic would be a plus but not a necessity. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

The Q-Jays aren't exactly super-bassy, so easy enough to find something with a bit more. X10s have a nice, sort of tight bass, great performer, a deeper insertion than the q-JAYs, so isolation is solid as well. Slightly aggressive, note presentation is lean, and preceived transients are quite fast. Fun for electronic and rock. Also mic/remote capable as well! For even more bass, the MTPG are significantly bassier, mic capable as well.

Quote:
Hi everyone, thanks for giving this a read- I'm looking for a pair of sub $350 iems and am having a lot of trouble choosing though I've looked through most of the comparison tables and review collections. I tend to listen to a lot of rap and techno, though my music tastes are quite wide. I tend to listen unamped just for ease of use. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Looking for a bassy sound, or a slightly bassy sound but ultimately balanced? MTPC (rich, organic sound), W3 (great clarity, transparent mids, suitable tonality for techno), or the FX700 (that bass...) in regards to the former. In terms of the latter, SM3 (more mid-centric, but still some serious rumble in the low end), XBA-3 (don't know about the XBA-4, from the looks of impressions though, they might do even better, should probably look into that).   

Quote:
Hey everybody,

I'm new to the forum and I've been looking to buy a new set of in-ears after my old Sony MDREX58V ones broke. I am hoping to upgrade and my budget is no more than $100. I listen to music a lot, and I also am a musician and do some home recording, so I'm looking for something that is both accurate and also pleasurable to listen to. I have some V-Moda Crossfades that I love the sound of, but it has too much bass for my taste, and I find them a bit annoying to carry around. 

I will be listening from my ipod touch and I am looking for something that will play a wide range of music, mainly rock, but I also listen to some electronic, rap, and country. 

So far I am thinking ether the Image X10's or the Ety HF5, both are very appealing to me but for very different reasons. Love the accuracy of the HF5's, but the comfort and supposed "easy listening" of the X10s sound great too. Can I get some help distinguishing which one would be better for my taste? I prefer pretty balanced levels all around, but I am a little afraid that I will be dissappointed with HF5's because of their supposed lack of bass since I have been listening to rather bass-boosted headphones for quite some time. Which one should I choose? Also, is there another one that may be good?? The Shure SE215s look okay, but I hear they have a lot of bass. 

-KaBAKZ

X10s would be pretty bassy, if you're more used to that kind of signature. The Shures have less bass than the X10s, mostly mid-bass as well. HF5s will be flat, with a slight tinge of warmth compared to the ER4. Something relatively flat, but smooth sounding and easy to listen to, would be the PFE012. Flat and balanced to my ears, great comfort, the sound itself is almost ideal for long-term listening.

Quote:
I am looking for IEM's for my sister. Build quality and design (13 years old girl) is important, but good sound is in the end what matters the most. I do not think she would appreciate cabels designed to go around the ear. Mic and iPhone controls on the cord is wanted. When it comes to price, I am not sure how much she is willing to spend, but as long as it is under $100 it should be fine.

Thankful for all answers...

HF2 and the UE700 are the only ones I can think of that sort of fit that requirement. The Etys might be a bit bass-light, well, it is linear. SQ would be some of the best out of the bunch. Mic and controls, as requested. Also a bunch of colours, so if she's into that... UE700 look pretty stunning, would be my choice in terms of appearance alone, and the sound can pack quite a punch (detail wise, these aren't basshead IEMs though). Don't know about her sense of aesthetics, and I did already mention these above so I might sound like a shill, but the PFE012 look pretty nifty and cute to me. Great smooth sound, a solid entry-level signature to get her feet wet. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #2,000 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi folks, 

I've had some Sennheiser CX299 phones for Xmas. Compared to my old (8 years) Sennheisers they are terrible! So tinny and lacking base.

The drivers are obviously much smaller and the design different from my old ones. As we can't try in-ear phones in the shop I'm wondering if modern budget phones are all like this or if I've got a faulty product? 

Advice appreciated.  

Alex.  

eek.gif
. The CX299 were so bassy! Extremely bassy, I can't imagine them being described as tinny and bass-lacking by any means. This isn't as subjective as people may think, these were really that bassy, even bassheads would agree. Might be that you haven't gotten a proper seal, or the unit was defective. Most likely the latter though. No, modern IEMs tend to lean towards the bass even more nowadays.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2,001 of 5,364
Quote:

eek.gif
. The CX299 were so bassy! Extremely bassy, I can't imagine them being described as tinny and bass-lacking by any means. This isn't as subjective as people may think, these were really that bassy, even bassheads would agree. Might be that you haven't gotten a proper seal, or the unit was defective. Most likely the latter though. No, modern IEMs tend to lean towards the bass even more nowadays.

Thanks Twin,

My daughter has listened to them as well, and we think faulty.

Thanks for the info. 

Alex.  

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2,003 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for a new pair of IEM's, after my q-jays broke, preferably with a mic with a pretty low level of microphonic's, as will be used in the gym and on morning jogs. If it wasn't for the fact that I want a inbuilt mic, I would most likely have bought another pair of q-jays. Absolutely loved the sound quality from them, and they are still highly rated by many-from what I've read on here.

I have done some research over the past couple of weeks, looking at various threads on here, inc the extensive review thread by joker. Based on what I have read, I have dwindled it down to two IEM's; the Klipsch x10i and the Etymotic hf2. Both Can be had fro the same price of around £100 in the UK, roughly ~$160.

Based on my music taste and personal preferences I think I would prefer the extra bass of the x10i, but I'm not a fan of really boomy overpowering bass either.  

So whats the problem? Well I'm not really in a position to spend £100 on a pair of earphones at the moment, so I was wondering if you guys could  recommend a pair around £50/£60 mark. I would have gone for the MEElectronics A161P, but can't locate these in the UK. Well overstock have some but they're at ~£96!!

Looking for a pair with a relatively small form factor, and something that can be worn straight down, don't really like wearing over ear bar from when in gym. 

Really do with some help guys, been tearing my hair out over this for a while now

self bump, lol thanks

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #2,004 of 5,364
The HF2 and the UE700 are both a bit expencive as they will come close to $ 200 when VAT, shipping, customs and so on is paid. PFE012 looks better when it comes to price, I am not so sure about the looks, but then again; I am not the judge. I will forward the suggestions to her anyway. The UE700 have great looks indeed, maybe she is willing to pay for it. Thank you, TwinQY.

I must also thank you, TwinQY, for the suggestion you gave me some weeks ago. I bought the JVC HA-FXD80, and they are just great.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #2,005 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of mid range IEMs, ~$60. What are the best pair? An in line remote and isolation are my top two criteria.

Sound preferences, genres to listen to? There obviously is no definitive best, only relative to the user.

Quote:
Looking for a new pair of IEM's, after my q-jays broke, preferably with a mic with a pretty low level of microphonic's, as will be used in the gym and on morning jogs. If it wasn't for the fact that I want a inbuilt mic, I would most likely have bought another pair of q-jays. Absolutely loved the sound quality from them, and they are still highly rated by many-from what I've read on here.  
I have done some research over the past couple of weeks, looking at various threads on here, inc the extensive review thread by joker. Based on what I have read, I have dwindled it down to two IEM's; the Klipsch x10i and the Etymotic hf2. Both Can be had fro the same price of around £100 in the UK, roughly ~$160.  
Based on my music taste and personal preferences I think I would prefer the extra bass of the x10i, but I'm not a fan of really boomy overpowering bass either.    
So whats the problem? Well I'm not really in a position to spend £100 on a pair of earphones at the moment, so I was wondering if you guys could  recommend a pair around £50/£60mark. I would have gone for the MEElectronics A161P, but can't locate these in the UK. Well overstock have some but they're at ~£96!!  
Looking for a pair with a relatively small form factor, and something that can be worn straight down, don't really like wearing over ear bar from when in gym.   
Really do with some help guys, been tearing my hair out over this for a while now  

So sorry I missed you the first time. The question underneath yours was so similar, and I assumed someone else already answered yours.

The MC2 sounds similar enough to the HF2 to be worth considering. Slightly more err, dynamic (not a pun on the drivers themselves) and full-bodied, while remaining classic Ety linear. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #2,007 of 5,364
Quote:

The Q-Jays aren't exactly super-bassy, so easy enough to find something with a bit more. X10s have a nice, sort of tight bass, great performer, a deeper insertion than the q-JAYs, so isolation is solid as well. Slightly aggressive, note presentation is lean, and preceived transients are quite fast. Fun for electronic and rock. Also mic/remote capable as well! For even more bass, the MTPG are significantly bassier, mic capable as well.

The X10 sounds quite good. I'll check out some reviews and make a decision. Thanks!

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #2,008 of 5,364
Quote:
Loads of genres: Jazz, classic rock, rap, dubstep, electronica, a capella. Basically everything but country and folk. 

Ok, no best, but recommendations?

The E30 would do well as an all-rounder. Not too familiar with them, having heard them once, but the R30s do well at that price all-round as well. GR06s are a bit more mid-centric, but still a good value and solid performer. For the bassier genres, the GR02 Bass do quite nicely. Great texture without ever sounding muddled up or confused. Rest of the spectrum doesn't slouch as well, in fact, the mids are some of the least "gooey" out of a lot of the basshead IEMs at that price.

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #2,009 of 5,364
Quote:
Have the HE400s as well, and love them. IEM-wise, I felt the PFE232 were sort of similar (well, the most similar IEM), but that's way over budget. I've heard the UE900 being described as similar, but you'll have to ask someone else about that. It'll be hard to find something with the linear bass and upper-midrange valley/darkness. The 4.Ai have a similar FR from what I remember, but everything else from presentation and well, everything else, are just way too different. 

Under 300, I guess the W3 comes close, but the bass quantity is much greater, and much more skewed towards midbass. Upper mids and lower treble are aplenty as well. The mids are clean and transparent like the HiFiMANs though. 

Thanks for the input, I'll take a look at the Westones.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #2,010 of 5,364
I want some Westone UM2's. Are they good, and should I consider something else?

Also, is this a good deal?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Westone-UM2-Dual-Driver-Monitor-AMPD/dp/B005GYDDCW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356424547&sr=1-3
ir

I have a Fiio E11 so would be able to get the removable cable version instead:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Westone-Professional-Driver-Earphones-removeable/dp/B004E2CO6S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356424851&sr=1-2
ir

Anyone know of any UK sites selling these cheaper brand new?

Thanks

I'm really getting to like my um2s - wasn't sure at first but as I adapt to the sound signature they get better and better.

Really pleased with them.

Personally, I wouldn't buy them from the link from amazon as they are not an authorised dealer so it would be a one year warranty if that!
http://www.westone.com/music/index.php/about-us/authorized-e-retailers.html

I bought mine in person from earphone solutions.com and I would use them in the future.

They are 299 dollars their with free shipping, 2 year warranty and feedback is good. If you wait a couple of days, there is always a 20% or similar code off for their earphones so have a google.

Also, they have the westone w3 gold limited edition for the same price but with a cheeky code w3gold, you get 20% off so puts them at $238 dollars plus free delivery Bargain in my eyes?

Works out at approx £151!

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/um2-with-replaceable-cables.html

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/w3gold.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back