Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 25, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #2,011 of 5,364
Quote:
So sorry I missed you the first time. The question underneath yours was so similar, and I assumed someone else already answered yours.

The MC2 sounds similar enough to the HF2 to be worth considering. Slightly more err, dynamic (not a pun on the drivers themselves) and full-bodied, while remaining classic Ety linear. 

Hey Twin! Thank you for your reply :) Just had a quick look at the etymotic mc2's and they can be had for ~£72. So £25-30 cheaper than what I can get the x10i's and the hf2's. The only other decent IEM's I have heard were my previously owned q-jays and a pair of Klipsch S4i that a friend had. The reason I mention this is because I was wondering if I would miss any bass presence with the MC2's. The bass on my q-jays was about right for me.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #2,012 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey Twin! Thank you for your reply :) Just had a quick look at the etymotic mc2's and they can be had for ~£72. So £25-30 cheaper than what I can get the x10i's and the hf2's. The only other decent IEM's I have heard were my previously owned q-jays and a pair of Klipsch S4i that a friend had. The reason I mention this is because I was wondering if I would miss any bass presence with the MC2's. The bass on my q-jays was about right for me.

The Q-Jays have a slight emphasis throughout the bass, the MC5 less so. Personally I found the JAYs to have greatly textured bass and great punch, the Etys try to come close, but just aren't there technically (but slightly more body and yet with less warmth, if that makes any sense). The rest of the spectrum, they are much more comparable. Mids are more present, treble as well. Presentation and soundstage would still go to the JAYs, but the MC2 specializes more in separation.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #2,013 of 5,364
Thanks for the reply, I looked more into the A161Ps and I think I'm gonna go with them, they seem to fit what I'm looking for quite well. 
Does anyone have any build quality issues with them?? I will need them to last at least 6 months. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #2,014 of 5,364
Hello everyone. First-timer here. 

So - I got a Fiio E-17 for Christmas. I've been having alot of fun playing with it in combination with my HFI-780's, sadly I will not be using it much with my home setup as I have a Xonar Essence STX on my rig. I, however, see a great opportunity to make my music listening experience at work a very enjoyable one.  

Of course, taking my HFI-780s to work is out of the picture due to its size and cable length. Well, that and that I would probably look like an idiot walking around an office with them on.
basshead.gif

So, the reason for my venture into these forums of audiophile wisdom and glory - I am looking for a solid set of IEMs or a pretty inconspicuous on-ear can in the ~$100-150 range. My setup will consist of iPhone/iPod -> Fiio L9 -> Fiio E17 -> IEM. My musical tastes are very ranged. I will listen to anything from the Oscar Peterson Trio to B.B. King to Beck to Radiohead. I don't listen to much rap or pop, if at all. A lot of indie, jazz, and blues... with a little bit of trip-hop and "chill" electronic stuff making its way in there every once in a while. I guess on these forums its needless to say that I will be using only loss-less or uncompressed formats. 

That being said, I love my Ultrasones. I think they are quite balanced, with a nice touch of bass(It can be heavy when it has to, but its always clear). If I could find something similar sounding it would be nice.

A couple of important requirements for me are durability/build quality and isolation. These headphones will be used 8 hours a day - 5 days a week in a moderately loud office environment. So preferably I would like to not have to hear whats going on "outside", nor would I like people to be able to hear my music if they stand next to me. It would also be a shame to have them die on me after only a month or two because of a **** cable or poor connections. I would also like whichever headphones I get to really take advantage of the E17.

As for the IEMs I've been looking at:
Shure SE-215
MEElectronics A161P
HiFiMan RE-262
UE TripleFi-10
VSonic Gr01/GR07

I know the UE and Vsonic are more expensive than my desired budget, but if a case can be made for spending the extra $ I'll consider it.

What should I go for? I would greatly appreciate any feedback on these listed IEMs  as well as any others that you all would recommend.

I also forgot to mention that I don't have anywhere I can go to test these here where I live. I will have to rely on your ears and other reviews to get an idea of what to expect.
Thanks in advance and happy holidays.
atsmile.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #2,015 of 5,364
Quote:

So - I got a Fiio E-17 for Christmas. I've been having alot of fun playing with it in combination with my HFI-780's, sadly I will not be using it much with my home setup as I have a Xonar Essence STX on my rig. I, however, see a great opportunity to make my music listening at work a very enjoyable one. 

Of course, taking my HFI-780s to work is out of the picture due to its size and cable length. Well, that and that I would probably look like an idiot walking around an office with them on.
basshead.gif

So, the reason for my venture into these forums of audiophile wisdom and glory - I am looking for a solid set of IEMs or a pretty inconspicuous on-ear can in the ~$100-150 range. My musical tastes are very ranged. I will listen to anything from the Oscar Peterson Trio to B.B. King to Beck to Radiohead. I don't listen to much rap or pop, if at all. A lot of indie, jazz, and blues... with a little bit of trip-hop and "chill" electronic stuff making its way in there every once in a while. I guess on these forums its needless to say that I will be using only loss-less or uncompressed formats. 

That being said, I love my Ultrasones. I think they are quite balanced, with a nice touch of bass(It can be heavy when it has to, but its always clear). If I could find something similar sounding it would be nice.

A couple of important requirements for me are durability/build quality and isolation. These headphones will be used 8 hours a day - 5 days a week in a moderately loud office environment. So preferably I would like to not have to hear whats going on "outside", nor would I like people to be able to hear my music if they stand next to me. It would also be a shame to have them die on me after only a month or two because of a **** cable or poor connections. 

Shure SE-215
MEElectronics A161P
HiFiMan RE-262
UE TripleFi-10
VSonic Gr01/GR07

I know the UE and Vsonic are more expensive than my desired budget, but if a case can be made for spending the extra $ I'll consider it.

What should I go for? I would greatly appreciate any feedback on these listed IEMs  as well as any others that you all would recommend.

I also forgot to mention that I don't have anywhere I can go to test these here where I live. I will have to rely on your ears and other reviews to get an idea of what to expect.
atsmile.gif

Just get these and run away from this site. They're probably in the top 5 value for sound I've heard .

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #2,016 of 5,364
Quote:

So - I got a Fiio E-17 for Christmas. I've been having alot of fun playing with it in combination with my HFI-780's, sadly I will not be using it much with my home setup as I have a Xonar Essence STX on my rig. I, however, see a great opportunity to make my music listening at work a very enjoyable one.  

basshead.gif

So, the reason for my venture into these forums of audiophile wisdom and glory - I am looking for a solid set of IEMs or a pretty inconspicuous on-ear can in the ~$100-150 range. My setup will consist of iPhone/iPod -> Fiio L9 -> Fiio E17 -> IEM. My musical tastes are very ranged. I will listen to anything from the Oscar Peterson Trio to B.B. King to Beck to Radiohead. I don't listen to much rap or pop, if at all. A lot of indie, jazz, and blues... with a little bit of trip-hop and "chill" electronic stuff making its way in there every once in a while. I guess on these forums its needless to say that I will be using only loss-less or uncompressed formats. 

A couple of important requirements for me are durability/build quality and isolation. These headphones will be used 8 hours a day - 5 days a week in a moderately loud office environment. So preferably I would like to not have to hear whats going on "outside", nor would I like people to be able to hear my music if they stand next to me. It would also be a shame to have them die on me after only a month or two because of a **** cable or poor connections. I would also like whichever headphones I get to really take advantage of the E17.

Shure SE-215
MEElectronics A161P
HiFiMan RE-262
UE TripleFi-10
VSonic Gr01/GR07

atsmile.gif

The TF10 would probably be the closest to the Ultrasones in terms of signature. Although I do like the UE700 suggested above way more than the TripleFi. Still got those relatively unobtrusive mids, but everything is balanced out way nicer. But decidedly less bassy as well. I think you're sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place, the other choices above are all extremely well-performing all-round. I'd lump the GR01 and A161P together in terms of sig, though the VSonics have more treble and detail. The RE262s will be the only one to really need/take up all that power the E17's outputing, rest are fairly efficient. Smooth, delicious sound, great for all that jazz and blues. Not as lean or dynamic sounding as the others for trip-hop and electronic though. GR07s are caught somewhere in between the RE262 and the TWFKs. Build would go to the VSonics hands down. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #2,018 of 5,364
Hi, I was going to start this as a new thread, but since this thread told me not to, I thought I would try here first!!

I'm in the market for some IEMs, however I live in South Korea and the differences in choice and price can be huge compared to the U.S or Europe. So, rather tell you what my budget is, it's probably better to tell you what I've found out I can afford after doing a little research.

The three headphones that stand out for me are:

Ortofon EQ5
Ety HF5
Brainwavz B2

My research is telling me to go for the EQ5s as given their price in the U.S, compared to the other two, they should be a 'better' headphone, but I know that this isn't always the case. Incidentally the EQ5s here are the equivalent of about $180, much cheaper than I am seeing them on Amazon, I think it is because Ortofon is based in Japan and Korea and Japan are neighbours so duties and tariffs are different here.

Incidentally, I could also afford the following:

Audeo 012/022
Shure SE215
Klipsch X10
Ultimate Ears 700's
Hifiman RE0 (Hifiman re262's are a bit of a stretch on my budget, but might be considered.)

I'm sure someone might mention the following, because they all kept cropping up in my research as highly recommended, but they are not in my price range or not available here:

DBA-02
GR07
Triple.Fi 10s
Ety ER4s
VSonic R50

However, you can only do so much research, so if I have missed any other obvious contenders please feel free to advize.

I'm pretty sure you will ask what kind of music I listen to and stuff about 'sound stages' which I really don't understand. But, for extra information, I've owned a pair of Westone UM1's and Klipsch S4s in the past and I think I preferred the more detailed sound that a balanced armature seems to give. I do like a bit of bass, but it's not my overriding factor. I listen mainly to indie rock, some dance, pop and electronica and sometimes a bit of classical.

I listen to most of my music through my Samsung Galaxy s2 phone, my trusty old Sansa Clip and until I trod on it my superb Sony NWZ840. I don't use any amplification and am not intending to for the time being.

Hopefully I've given enough information for someone to point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #2,019 of 5,364
Quote:
Don't worry, no MH1C hype around here. Am also currently interested in the VC02, but from the looks of impressions, it's not exactly a bass emphasized set, so might not be for techno or hip-hop. Of course, this is after not having heard them, so what do I know?
font]
 The M5s were not all-rounders by any means, very much skewed towards the bass. The E10s are decently balanced, might lack just the tiniest amount of low end kick, but other than that, I think they could work, especially in terms of comfort. XBA-1s, not much to say except similar to the E10 but with more body. Housing isn't as ergonomic though. Another way you could go would be the GR02 Bass. Yes, bass-emphasized, but everything else manages to stay present sounding, not at all overwhelmed. Mids are clearer than most bassy phones, and it's a great performer, easily hits above it's price point.

Thanks, for the answer a lot but here is another question from me :)
Ok, so I'm going to scrach the XBA-1 (for being not just a noch better than E10) and the M5 (since they are not all-roundet) from the list. But I may have misslead you by saying that I need more bass. Not at all, with my AKG K314P i am already happy with the bass but since they are not in-ear i couldn't hear it so clear. As much as the heaphones have some little but quality bass it's OK.
But is there anybody who could compair the VC02 and the E10 in terms of all-round quality sound, comfyness (sry for the non-existed word), and how they compair in the lows,mids,highs and soundstage?

Thanks in advance for the help again.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #2,020 of 5,364
New to the head-fi world. Mostly interested in IEMs. Started with the sony MDR-EX10lp. Then got the MEElectronics M9. After reading Jokers Mulit-IEM thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-267-iems-compared-fitear-to-go-334-added-12-16-12 and browsing online found some ID America Sparks for ~$25. Very interested to see how the Sparks compare to the EX10 and M9. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #2,022 of 5,364
Hi, I am getting new IEMs in Canada, with a budget of $100. Currently I have narrowed it down to two headphones although I wouldn't mind suggestions.
Fischer Audio Tandem ($89)
Audiofly AF56 ($89)
I listen to orchestral and pop pieces and I prefer a sound signature with strong detailed mids, weighty rumbling bass and delicate highs.
Which one of these IEMs would be best for me, thanks.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #2,023 of 5,364
Looking for an upgrade from my S4s that recently broke. I liked the bass on them, but mids weren't amazing and sibilence was a problem on the treble end.
What I'm looking for: sturdy design, straight down, <$140
Here's what I'm considering: re-0, re-262, ue600.
Any suggestions?

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #2,024 of 5,364
Hi, I am getting new IEMs in Canada, with a budget of $100. Currently I have narrowed it down to two headphones although I wouldn't mind suggestions.
Fischer Audio Tandem ($89)
Audiofly AF56 ($89)
I listen to orchestral and pop pieces and I prefer a sound signature with strong detailed mids, weighty rumbling bass and delicate highs.
Which one of these IEMs would be best for me, thanks.

I've never heard the AF56, but if you do get them, I believe these are the same thing for $30.

http://www.amazon.com/Audiofly-USA-Inc-AF561-0-02-Earphone/dp/B00855JPKI

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2,025 of 5,364
Quote:

The TF10 would probably be the closest to the Ultrasones in terms of signature. Although I do like the UE700 suggested above way more than the TripleFi. Still got those relatively unobtrusive mids, but everything is balanced out way nicer. But decidedly less bassy as well. I think you're sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place, the other choices above are all extremely well-performing all-round. I'd lump the GR01 and A161P together in terms of sig, though the VSonics have more treble and detail. The RE262s will be the only one to really need/take up all that power the E17's outputing, rest are fairly efficient. Smooth, delicious sound, great for all that jazz and blues. Not as lean or dynamic sounding as the others for trip-hop and electronic though. GR07s are caught somewhere in between the RE262 and the TWFKs. Build would go to the VSonics hands down. 

Ok, so i've done a little more research. Like I say below, I have been turned off by some of the reviews for the UEs in terms of quality. A lot of people seem to be having problems with durability. I've narrowed it down to two choices now: 

HiFiMan RE-272
Vsonic GR07

These both seem to be good all-rounders from what i've read. The RE-272, from what I've read has a little more bass than the RE-262 - possibly putting it closer to the sound of the GR07? I also like what i'm hearing about the GR07. Not many people complain about the built quality, as compared to the UEs, and people seem to say that they are quite versatile as well.

Out of these 2, which will provide for the most versatile use for what I listen to?

Thanks very much for the help TwinQY.

Quote:

Just get these and run away from this site. They're probably in the top 5 value for sound I've heard .

Thanks for the recommendation. I will keep those in mind, as they seem to have the sound signature i'm interested in. To be honest, though, some of the reviews have turned me off to UE. Alot of people seem to be having problems with the wiring coming loose and a driver dying on them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back