Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 25, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #1,981 of 5,364
Quote:
I want some Westone UM2's. Are they good, and should I consider something else?

Also, is this a good deal?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Westone-UM2-Dual-Driver-Monitor-AMPD/dp/B005GYDDCW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356424547&sr=1-3

I have a Fiio E11 so would be able to get the removable cable version instead:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Westone-Professional-Driver-Earphones-removeable/dp/B004E2CO6S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356424851&sr=1-2

Anyone know of any UK sites selling these cheaper brand new?

Thanks

Camelcamelcamel says it's a good deal. Compared to the RC version right now. http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Westone-Professional-Driver-Earphones-removeable/product/B004E2CO6S. You can see that they only dropped to the price of the Amp'd versions around Feburary, then shot back up. Don't know anywhere else that stocks them at that price. Hard to find good Westone prices in Europe. 

The UM2 are legendary, the models that most likey propelled the company to its status now, back in the day. Haven't had the honor to hear them, but every one that I know of who has just keeps on heaping the praise on them.

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #1,982 of 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Sunrise were pretty competitive sound-wise on the forums with the RE0, which I had for a while (supposed the less bassy, but still similar sounding pair). Both have had their share of build problems from what I heard, and having experienced some pretty nasty build on the RE0s...But you'll never know until you try them. Phonak generally has good support, and I'd take them over the RE0s any day in terms of sound. Sorry I can't give much personal experience on the Fischers or the Sunrise though.

Thanks.  I havent been in this forum for long but you've been reliable, quick in response and offer good, honest advice. I wouldnt have thought of intertwined wires as easy to unravel but now i'll avoid those as that sounds totally logical in terms of practical daily usage. 

I have decided to take the plunge into the Sunrise Xcape IE. it's a risk with the 84usd price tag but oh well, warranty issues might be easier to solve since i am located in the same region as the local distributor, lendmeurear if anything goes wrong.

Sunrise Audio just told me they will have a new flagship(IEM?) in early 2013, i might hold out and wait to see what it is. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #1,983 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks.  I havent been in this forum for long but you've been reliable, quick in response and offer good, honest advice. I wouldnt have thought of intertwined wires as easy to unravel but now i'll avoid those as that sounds totally logical in terms of practical daily usage. 

I have decided to take the plunge into the Sunrise Xcape IE. it's a risk with the 84usd price tag but oh well, warranty issues might be easier to solve since i am located in the same region as the local distributor, lendmeurear if anything goes wrong.

Always welcome. Usually tight braids on the cables like on Westones make this happen less frequently. The other braided cables...well, yeah.

Hope you like them! Always regretted not being about to hear the Sunrises. So many good comparisons to the RE0s, and I really loved the sound of those. Lendmeurears are really nice, always a pleasure with them!

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #1,984 of 5,364
Quote:

Camelcamelcamel says it's a good deal. Compared to the RC version right now. http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Westone-Professional-Driver-Earphones-removeable/product/B004E2CO6S. You can see that they only dropped to the price of the Amp'd versions around Feburary, then shot back up. Don't know anywhere else that stocks them at that price. Hard to find good Westone prices in Europe. 

The UM2 are legendary, the models that most likey propelled the company to its status now, back in the day. Haven't had the honor to hear them, but every one that I know of who has just keeps on heaping the praise on them.

Cheers. Do you think i should look at something else? I read mixed reviews. Either they are brilliant, or frankly piss poor.

My initial budget was £100 but I dont really have a budget. wanted UM1's but UM2's are ment to be so much better.

I could always sell, but Id sooner not have to. Just come from RE262's and they have just died.

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #1,985 of 5,364
Quote:
Cheers. Do you think i should look at something else? I read mixed reviews. Either they are brilliant, or frankly piss poor.

My initial budget was £100 but I dont really have a budget. wanted UM1's but UM2's are ment to be so much better.

I could always sell, but Id sooner not have to. Just come from RE262's and they have just died.

The reviews were always like that. The signature has matured with age though. People tend to like them a lot more nowadays. 

Alternatives, well, the PFE112 have a slightly leaner note presentation than the RE262, but still a smooth, sort of warm sound, wtih solid mids. £119 on their main site, sort of close to your inital budget. Remarkably balanced, can't find too many people hating these. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #1,986 of 5,364
Hi there,

As you could see I'm new in here. So i decided to buy a new pair of in-ear headphones, after my old ones got wet after a big rain... Even then after they dryed they still work :)
But i still want to buy myself a new ones to get some better sound quality. After some resurch in here i fould some of the best <50$ (whitch is my price tag).
So the ones i fould are :
Sonic Magic E10 witch i found to be good in build quality, and are good in SQ for the price of 35$, even then they are not the best pick (i think).

Brainwavz M5 witch i found in some reviews to be one of the best <50$, good SQ and BQ, good looking and have a nice pakage.

VSonic VC02 - maybe a hype, idk but many people are praging them to be the best under 50$ and even above, compareing them with some 80,90$ ones. I think they have good SQ, BQ, good number of accesories, and to be comfy for some:)

Lastly i found Sony XBA-1 witch are a bit over the price of 50$ but even then i could consider them too. I found them to have good BQ and a decent SQ, you'll tell more

My portable headphones are AKG K314P. I like them, so maybe whatever i got it will be an improvment but after all i seek the best :wink:
I listen almost everything, starting at pop, hip-hop, rap, songs with nice vocals,techno, a little dupstep and some soundtracks with have some classical music in them. So i need in-ear that could have a good performance in every type of music. I am not a bass-head but i still want some with witch i could rock some techno.  The things that i am seeking from the headphones are 1st SQ, 2-nd BQ and comfort becouse i listen every day music, so at least they have to be comfy enough to spend 1-3 hours non-stop in listening.
I know some of you will recomend me the Sony MH1C but i found them to be with bad cable, heavy, and could not work with some devices, so i think they are not the ones to buy.
I am wiling to take other recomendations for some other in-ear, if there are others good.
Btw Have in maind that i am not goind to amp my in-ear !

So if you recomend me a choise please explain why you pick thouse in compair to the other ones :wink:
If someone could compair the 4 of them i will be very happy.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #1,987 of 5,364
Hi guys!

I'm currently looking for some in-ears. I'm not too picky when it comes to sound but comfort is really important to me. I used to have the V-moda vibe duo ones but they were really uncomfortable and kept falling out of my ears.

Currently I'm considering a-JAYS One+ (these have 5 different tips) or AIAIAI Pipe (these just look really cool).

Can anyone compare these two to the v-modas?

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #1,988 of 5,364
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a good in-ear and my budget would be something around 150 euros max. My old ones were jays q-jays but one of the plugs isn't working anymore. I liked them quite a lot but I did want a little more bass out of them. I listen to heavy metal, rock, electronic (house, prog. house, disco, electro) and a lot of classical too. I'll be using them mostly when commuting to school so a normal noise isolation is a must. A mic would be a plus but not a necessity. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #1,989 of 5,364
Looking for a new pair of IEM's, after my q-jays broke, preferably with a mic with a pretty low level of microphonic's, as will be used in the gym and on morning jogs. If it wasn't for the fact that I want a inbuilt mic, I would most likely have bought another pair of q-jays. Absolutely loved the sound quality from them, and they are still highly rated by many-from what I've read on here.

I have done some research over the past couple of weeks, looking at various threads on here, inc the extensive review thread by joker. Based on what I have read, I have dwindled it down to two IEM's; the Klipsch x10i and the Etymotic hf2. Both Can be had fro the same price of around £100 in the UK, roughly ~$160.

Based on my music taste and personal preferences I think I would prefer the extra bass of the x10i, but I'm not a fan of really boomy overpowering bass either.  

So whats the problem? Well I'm not really in a position to spend £100 on a pair of earphones at the moment, so I was wondering if you guys could  recommend a pair around £50/£60 mark. I would have gone for the MEElectronics A161P, but can't locate these in the UK. Well overstock have some but they're at ~£96!!

Looking for a pair with a relatively small form factor, and something that can be worn straight down, don't really like wearing over ear bar from when in gym. 

Really do with some help guys, been tearing my hair out over this for a while now

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #1,990 of 5,364
Quote:

The reviews were always like that. The signature has matured with age though. People tend to like them a lot more nowadays. 

Alternatives, well, the PFE112 have a slightly leaner note presentation than the RE262, but still a smooth, sort of warm sound, wtih solid mids. £119 on their main site, sort of close to your inital budget. Remarkably balanced, can't find too many people hating these. 

Cheers. Ill take the plunge! I need some IEMs asap as well so hopefully ill have them by friday.

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #1,991 of 5,364
Hi everyone, thanks for giving this a read- I'm looking for a pair of sub $350 iems and am having a lot of trouble choosing though I've looked through most of the comparison tables and review collections. I tend to listen to a lot of rap and techno, though my music tastes are quite wide. I tend to listen unamped just for ease of use. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,992 of 5,364
Hey everybody,

I'm new to the forum and I've been looking to buy a new set of in-ears after my old Sony MDREX58V ones broke. I am hoping to upgrade and my budget is no more than $100. I listen to music a lot, and I also am a musician and do some home recording, so I'm looking for something that is both accurate and also pleasurable to listen to. I have some V-Moda Crossfades that I love the sound of, but it has too much bass for my taste, and I find them a bit annoying to carry around. 

I will be listening from my ipod touch and I am looking for something that will play a wide range of music, mainly rock, but I also listen to some electronic, rap, and country. 

So far I am thinking ether the Image X10's or the Ety HF5, both are very appealing to me but for very different reasons. Love the accuracy of the HF5's, but the comfort and supposed "easy listening" of the X10s sound great too. Can I get some help distinguishing which one would be better for my taste? I prefer pretty balanced levels all around, but I am a little afraid that I will be dissappointed with HF5's because of their supposed lack of bass since I have been listening to rather bass-boosted headphones for quite some time. Which one should I choose? Also, is there another one that may be good?? The Shure SE215s look okay, but I hear they have a lot of bass. 

-KaBAKZ

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #1,993 of 5,364
Go for Rockit R-50's for 120$, they have got great reviews out here and the extra 20$ is definitely worth to spend, the other alternatives I think are Meelectronics A161P, Sony MH1C(great for its price), Yamaha EPH-100. Choose which signature suits you better

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #1,994 of 5,364
The A161P's look really good, and they are cheaper too, but are they much different from the HF5's? It seems like they are the same from what I'm looking at, but the A116's have more accessories, where the HF5 has better noise isolation. The R-50s look really great, but honestly I cant stand having them go around my ear like that. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #1,995 of 5,364
A161P isolate a lot, not like HF5 but still with triple flanges, they isolate well enough for most activities.Around 100$, I would suggest Vsonic GR06, Hifiman Re-zero(bass might not be enough), Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition, TDK EB950 and Phonak Audéo PFE 022(might suit well for you).Also, have a look at Brainwavz B2, T-Peos H-100,Vsonic GR07 and TDK BA-200, these are slighly expensive models but are worth spending the extra. I do not suggest buying X10 just for their bad build, they have a tendency to break easily.

Sound wise A161P and HF5 are a lot different, but you might find the signature of A161P better than the analytical bass-less HF5's..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back