Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,966 of 5,364
Hey, currently looking for a new pair of IEMs to replace my broken Cx-300IIs. I was really tempted by the Etymotic mc5s, but after reading some reviews it seems like their bass will be too weak for my taste.

Budget is sub-100€ (rather less)
They have to be durable and sit tight because I am using them for biking/working out as well as sleeping. Also the mc5s seemed like they would isolate too much for being safe to listen to while biking?
Music genres is anywhere from indie to rap to jazz to electronic (burial as well as glitch-mob), so they have to be fairly all-around, but still have some bass.
As well as the mc5s I was looking at the: Brainwavz M2, Vsonic GR02,GR06, Sennheiser cx-400II and Rock-it sounds R-30, basically some of the "bang-for-your-buck" picks from the big IEM review list. I'm going to keep on scouting there, but feel free to recommend me something because right now it's just information-overload.

Also, I don't care whether they are "colored" or not.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,967 of 5,364
Audio Technica cks70 --- cks99

Hey guys,

Would you please comment about buying cks99.

Currently i am using cks70 for 2 years and i am very happy with cks70.

-Do you recommend me to buy cks99 ?
-Will i have a far experience with cks99 after cks70 ?
-or do you suggest me anything else?

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,968 of 5,364
My mistake, they bend, not fold. Kept thinking of the M100's nifty folding mechanism. Honestly, they're tiny enough that it doesn't make much of a difference. Carrying case is pretty slick and durable as well.

Logitech UE and Monster both have their share of QC complaints, and it's exasperated by the higher influx of customers since they're a relatively more mainstream brand. I'd stick with the UE700 personally (after having just heard the recently). 

Have you heard the Turbines too?

I have heard much praise for both IEMs and their sound signatures both fit my range of tastes so I'm really at a loss for which one to pick.

Hopefully someone who has heard both the UE700s and Monster Turbines will chime in.

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #1,969 of 5,364
I have heard much praise for both IEMs and their sound signatures both fit my range of tastes so I'm really at a loss for which one to pick.
Hopefully someone who has heard both the UE700s and Monster Turbines will chime in.

Actually I'm leaning towards the Turbines since I prefer the bass. Think $79.99 is a good deal for a pair? I just hope they don't break and waste my money... :frowning2:

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,971 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi again,

Do you think the BrainWavz B2 will be better than PFE022? if you dont mind can you break down to a more detailed explanation :D thx, u seem to be the pro around here, hehe.

and i only want to wear my earphones straight down. :)

It's not impossible to wear the Phonaks straight down the ear. They're tiny enough that it works. The B2s have a completely different signature, bass is diminished significantly, mids are less smooth, boatload of treble compared to the PFE012. Note presentation is much thinner, and the tonality id much more analytical. Both have plastic builds, the cable on the B2 looks thicker and more sturdy at first touch, but they unravel way too easily. The B2s are even more hard to wear straight down than the Phonaks.

Quote:
thanks for the reply, but here in India AKG is not available everywhere, only Sennheiser,Sony,certain Audio Technica headphones are available, so can you please recommend headphones from the aforementioned brands which cost less or fall in between the 50-70$ price range, I have shortlisted px100 and ATH sj11 and sj55

i listen to rock,rap,metal and house music, and the ear cups should be rotate-able(not sure if thats a word :p) im a casual listener and for me portability, comfort voice quality is really important.

Thanks.

In that case, the PX100-II would be your best bet, as long as you don't mind the lack of isolation. Very portable (folds and fits in most pockets), pads are comfortable (if not, replacement pads and mods are always there, but probably not needed). Rich, smooth sound with some fun bass. Nice for your genres.

Quote:
I was looking at the GR02 bass but was worried it would be too bass heavy. I went to a Suns-Clippers game last night and I let him try on my Vsonic GR99's during the 4th quarter rumble, not too much to my surprise they blocked out probably 80% of the noise, but he was absolutely amazed by them. I think the Vsonics would be perfect for him. I think he would benefit from an in line remote but he's never had one before so I don't know that he'll miss it at all.
Well, I might have to snag the M80's then. Or some Solo HD's
L3000.gif
popcorn.gif

Not too serious about the Solo's
What about the SMS by 50 on ears or the SL100's? I know they both fold but I couldnt find too much info on the sound. I heard the SMS actually sounded pretty decent.

The Solos are bass heavy. And they do fit the rest of the criteria regarding build, comfort. Don't let head-fi stop you, they always have them for sale around the holidays! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I remember the SMS to be dark. Like really veiled and dark. This was on a typical demo rig, and they usually plug them into some old receivers which makes everything sound dark. But not bad sound wise. If you really want something bass-heavy, they will be bass-heavier than the M80.

Another foldable on-ear would be the K618. Totally forgot about them. Bass-heavy (only heard them for a minute), but generally a good sound. Definitely competitive with the M80s.

Quote:
Hey guys, so I'm looking with headphones with decent isolation and a lot of bass.
Would you prefer either AKG K518LE, K518DJ, or Philips Downtowns?
My list is pretty small cause it's for my friend, and she's veeeery picky about what kind of stuff she wants. Has to be on-ear, not too big, and pretty (hahaha). She didn't like the V-Modas, or the HD-25, or the M-50s.
Also, living in Canada doesn't help with prices. If you have other suggestions though, please let me know!

The Downtowns are more balanced rather than bassy. Though the K518 were pretty enough, what with all those colors. They'll be bassy enough, most likely. Isolation is good because of the clamp. Future shop usually has them on sale for the holidays, like last year. Again, mentioned the K618 above. 

Quote:
Hey, currently looking for a new pair of IEMs to replace my broken Cx-300IIs. I was really tempted by the Etymotic mc5s, but after reading some reviews it seems like their bass will be too weak for my taste.

Budget is sub-100€ (rather less)
They have to be durable and sit tight because I am using them for biking/working out as well as sleeping. Also the mc5s seemed like they would isolate too much for being safe to listen to while biking?
Music genres is anywhere from indie to rap to jazz to electronic (burial as well as glitch-mob), so they have to be fairly all-around, but still have some bass.
As well as the mc5s I was looking at the: Brainwavz M2, Vsonic GR02,GR06, Sennheiser cx-400II and Rock-it sounds R-30, basically some of the "bang-for-your-buck" picks from the big IEM review list. I'm going to keep on scouting there, but feel free to recommend me something because right now it's just information-overload.

Also, I don't care whether they are "colored" or not.

If you think the MC5 might be too weak in the bass, the Rockits or the GR06 would probably not work. Slightly rolled off. The M2 and GR02 are comparable, but I would go for the GR02 and their slightly clearer mids. There's also the SE215 that do well with most genres listed, at the top of the barrel budget-wise though. Sits rather flush, Olives isolate a lot. 

Quote:

Yes. From memory, they were slightly heavier down low, the UE700 were leaner and crisper (not saying a lot compared to the warm and thick Turbines), much more sparkly. Bass quantity is decidedly less, not rumbly or deeply textured, but tight and has a nice kick. It's my kind of bass, but not sure how the typical basshead would take it. Very clear, good detail, more proficient than the Turbines. But, again, those are a more integrated and fun sound.

Quote:
So, now that I've  realized I can't get the Dn-18's the question is what's the next best alternative?

M5? The lack of strain relief is a bummer though. Can't think of any more metal-housing IEMs, other than the Nuforce NE-700X. They used to stock them locally here, but never got to hear them. Apparently they were warm and bassy as well, from what others had to say. Apart from the GR02, I'm pretty much tapped out. 

Oh, forgot to mention the M2s. Just found them in my cupboard. Build still looks solid, and the sound is pretty fun.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #1,972 of 5,364
I'm looking into getting my first IEM but every guide I look at tells me something different. Here are my requirements:
- Around $100, this is flexible
- I listen mostly to hip-hop
- I care a lot about bass, but do not like muddy bass
- Some isolation is important

Thanks

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #1,973 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking into getting my first IEM but every guide I look at tells me something different. Here are my requirements:
- Around $100, this is flexible
- I listen mostly to hip-hop
- I care a lot about bass, but do not like muddy bass
- Some isolation is important
Thanks

Basshead-wise, I think the ATH-CKS77 or the XB90EX (both slightly above budget, but the most popular bass IEMs I know of) might be worth looking into. Haven't heard them, so go on the discovery thread for more info. Heard good things about the TDK IE800 as well.

I'd try the SE215 or the PFE012 w/ green filters for a more balanced, but still bass emphasized sound. There's also the M2, Eternas, VBs, great budget basshead IEMs.

Now, not to play the devil's advocate, but if you could really stretch that budget, the MTPC and the Atrios have some of the most glorious bass under 200. The Golds are slower, a bit more mushy, but very cohesive and not muddled up. Quantity is simply some of the largest I've heard. The Atrios have a pretty tight kick, with some serious subbass rumble

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #1,974 of 5,364
Quote:
M5? The lack of strain relief is a bummer though. Can't think of any more metal-housing IEMs, other than the Nuforce NE-700X. They used to stock them locally here, but never got to hear them. Apparently they were warm and bassy as well, from what others had to say. Apart from the GR02, I'm pretty much tapped out. 

Oh, forgot to mention the M2s. Just found them in my cupboard. Build still looks solid, and the sound is pretty fun.

Hm. I'll have to look around and keep my options open. 

Edit: Found some interesting choices.

http://www.air-buds.com/product/air-buds-ear-buds/

http://www.amazon.com/Astrotec-Balanced-Armature-Moving-Headphones/product-reviews/B008FLWPKO/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Kinda worried about the Astrotec set as one person mentioned them not stayin in ears.. But, both seem to have some stellar reviews. As always still open to suggestions.

And seriously considering the NuForces.

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #1,975 of 5,364
I've more or less undecided between Phonak Audeo 022, Fischer Audio Consonance and Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition now.

Very keen on the Sunrise Xcape IE over the other 2 earphones. (so many good reviews on this forum)

are there any last advice you can give me in case i make  a wrong choice? this is probably my last post here until i order the earphones. :) 

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,976 of 5,364
If you think the MC5 might be too weak in the bass, the Rockits or the GR06 would probably not work. Slightly rolled off. The M2 and GR02 are comparable, but I would go for the GR02 and their slightly clearer mids. There's also the SE215 that do well with most genres listed, at the top of the barrel budget-wise though. Sits rather flush, Olives isolate a lot.

Do you think the SE215s are worth 100€ compared to the 30€ (plus VAT) the GR02s cost?

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #1,977 of 5,364
Quote:
Hm. I'll have to look around and keep my options open. 

Edit: Found some interesting choices.

http://www.air-buds.com/product/air-buds-ear-buds/

http://www.amazon.com/Astrotec-Balanced-Armature-Moving-Headphones/product-reviews/B008FLWPKO/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Kinda worried about the Astrotec set as one person mentioned them not stayin in ears.. But, both seem to have some stellar reviews. As always still open to suggestions.

Yeah, the Astrotecs look horrible in terms of fit. Build and cable looks really impressive though. Don't know much about them, but give them a try! It's Amazon, so the return policy is probably fine. The kind of strain relief on the Airbuds, in combination with the flat cable, in my experience, does not bode well. Haven't seen them before though, so what do I know!

Quote:
I've more or less undecided between Phonak Audeo 022, Fischer Audio Consonance and Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition now.

Very keen on the Sunrise Xcape IE over the other 2 earphones. (so many good reviews on this forum)

are there any last advice you can give me in case i make  a wrong choice? this is probably my last post here until i order the earphones. :) 

The Sunrise were pretty competitive sound-wise on the forums with the RE0, which I had for a while (supposed the less bassy, but still similar sounding pair). Both have had their share of build problems from what I heard, and having experienced some pretty nasty build on the RE0s...But you'll never know until you try them. Phonak generally has good support, and I'd take them over the RE0s any day in terms of sound. Sorry I can't give much personal experience on the Fischers or the Sunrise though.

Quote:
Do you think the SE215s are worth 100€ compared to the 30€ (plus VAT) the GR02s cost?

The GR02s are really good value for the price. IMO they easily hit the 50-60 tier mark. That being said, I wouldn't say that the SE215s are not worth 100.  They are slightly better, but not a $70 difference. Maybe a 20-30 difference (price is not the best gauge for performance). You are paying more for the more widespread support of a larger company like Shure, as well as better ergonomics, comfort and build. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #1,978 of 5,364
Love my HE400s for their warmth, bass, and slightly bright sound signature, but I can't use them all the time or in a public area. What's a good portable, closed headphone or IEM that has a similar sound signature as the HE400? Would prefer if the price does not exceed $300, but name anything. Thanks.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #1,979 of 5,364
Quote:
Love my HE400s for their warmth, bass, and slightly bright sound signature, but I can't use them all the time or in a public area. What's a good portable, closed headphone or IEM that has a similar sound signature as the HE400? Would prefer if the price does not exceed $300, but name anything. Thanks.

Have the HE400s as well, and love them. IEM-wise, I felt the PFE232 were sort of similar (well, the most similar IEM), but that's way over budget. I've heard the UE900 being described as similar, but you'll have to ask someone else about that. It'll be hard to find something with the linear bass and upper-midrange valley/darkness. The 4.Ai have a similar FR from what I remember, but everything else from presentation and well, everything else, are just way too different. 

Under 300, I guess the W3 comes close, but the bass quantity is much greater, and much more skewed towards midbass. Upper mids and lower treble are aplenty as well. The mids are clean and transparent like the HiFiMANs though. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,980 of 5,364
I want some Westone UM2's. Are they good, and should I consider something else?

Also, is this a good deal?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Westone-UM2-Dual-Driver-Monitor-AMPD/dp/B005GYDDCW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356424547&sr=1-3

I have a Fiio E11 so would be able to get the removable cable version instead:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Westone-Professional-Driver-Earphones-removeable/dp/B004E2CO6S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356424851&sr=1-2

Anyone know of any UK sites selling these cheaper brand new?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back