Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #1,756 of 5,364
i'm using a ipod classic gen 5

I want to get shure se215, good choice???

Can you also wear them STRAIGHT DOWN. I don't like the around the ear/back thing

Can't wear them straight down, sorry. Maybe if you reversed the channels, but there's still that memory cable...

Any idea on sound preferences so we can help you find another pair that might suit you?

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #1,757 of 5,364
Quote:
  1. Check out the portable source gear subforum. Honest mistake, don't worry about it!

Thanks man!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #1,758 of 5,364
Quote:
Try the Philips Citiscape Uptown for $65 dollars at ben's outlet. Think they are darker than your porta pro but they will save your ears!. Or sign up at "hello music" they are running a sale on the KRK KNS6400 for $70 with first time buyer coupon. 9 dollars shipping. Says "low stock". More suitable for rock but cost a bit more. You might check the cable length too. Good luck.
edit:
Oh forgot on ear options:
//www.guitarcenter.com/Sennheiser-HD-25-SP-II-Lightweight-Headphones-105799357-i1322858.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla
It is not the most popular version of the HD25 by far and I haven't heard that one but it can be found for 99 bucks if you look. Will provide decent isolation at least and are durable.

The HD25SP has no where near the isolation of the HD25-II. The double headband gives you superior isolation but of course increased clamping force. With the Amperiors out, I've seen the HD25-II for around 100. If you get the HD25-SP you will just be wondering what you were missing.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,759 of 5,364
Th
The HD25SP has no where near the isolation of the HD25-II. The double headband gives you superior isolation but of course increased clamping force. With the Amperiors out, I've seen the HD25-II for around 100. If you get the HD25-SP you will just be wondering what you were missing.

Thanks for adding that. Good to know. And where did yoy find the 25-1 ii for $100 pray tell? :D.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #1,760 of 5,364
Good news!

My buddy found those JVC HA S500s (Black) you guys helped me out with about a week ago.

Grand total of $46.70.  Hell of a deal compared to the alternative ~75-80 it'd cost to ship 'em over.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #1,761 of 5,364
Good news!

My buddy found those JVC HA S500s (Black) you guys helped me out with about a week ago.

Grand total of $46.70.  Hell of a deal compared to the alternative ~75-80 it'd cost to ship 'em over.

That's great. Man I should have given you my import wish list :D

(for the benefit of any lurkers..... his buddy went to Japan, sorry still an import only iem).

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #1,762 of 5,364
Hi! A local store near my home is selling next week Monster Beats Solo at 99.99 €... Are they worth the price?? It's a 50% discount, so i was wondering how they compare to other [size=small]~100€ headphones.[/size]

[size=small]thanks guys![/size]

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #1,763 of 5,364
Hi! A local store near my home is selling next week Monster Beats Solo at 99.99 €... Are they worth the price?? It's a 50% discount, so i was wondering how they compare to other [COLOR=222222]~100€ headphones.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]thanks guys![/COLOR]

I would say no. But there are TONS of threads on that on here. You can find the information you are looking for using the search function.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #1,764 of 5,364
Hi! A local store near my home is selling next week Monster Beats Solo at 99.99 €... Are they worth the price?? It's a 50% discount, so i was wondering how they compare to other [size=small]~100€ headphones.[/size]

[size=small]thanks guys![/size]

I would buy the vmoda m80 for 90 Gbp or so or the hd25 for 70 Eur off eBay. Now I'm just assuming you live in Europe. Now they're quite different, so read up on them before you take your pick.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #1,765 of 5,364
Quote:
That's great. Man I should have given you my import wish list
biggrin.gif

(for the benefit of any lurkers..... his buddy went to Japan, sorry still an import only iem).

Ahahaha.  Yeah, he found them in an e-earphone.  Apparently they just have copious amounts of things in that store, it's kind of surreal.  

He also apparently asked the guy on cash about them after he bought them and was told "You get great heaphone, that very good deal" or something to that extent.

I told him to give them a listen to on his way back. He's got a 14 hour flight so he might as well at least start the burning-in process lmao.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,767 of 5,364
Look in the sound science forum and find blind tests of FLAC vs 320kbps MP3. If you are worried your music will sound bad if you have 320 or even 256 mp3, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #1,768 of 5,364
Okay so I actually posted a whole thread about this yesterday and was PMed that I shouldn't have done that and should instead post here so sorry about that!

I'm pretty new to this forum but I've been lurking for the past couple weeks or so and have searched a ton but can't quite find the answer I'm looking for, and not sure what is outdated and isn't anymore.

I bought a pair of the Klipsch x10s for the Black Friday sale and will be returning them as I do not really like what they're offering. Not enough bass, mids/highs feel muddy at times and everything feels too relaxed for my liking. I guess this means that I'm really looking for a fun pair of headphones with lots of musicality ( not sure if thats the right term?) 

I'm looking for a pair of IEMs (or potentially full headphones if someone is convincing enough, but I'm pretty set on IEMs) that have the following qualities:

Bass- I'm not exactly sure if I'm a "basshead" as im new to the high-end headphone market but I definitely want a very good amount of bass, tight and thumping (especially in metal with things double bass pedals and the like). I really want to feel the bass. Not just listen to it (which is what it felt like with the x10s)

Mids/Highs- Clear and crisp mids and sparkling highs are probably quite important for metal, although if the mids are recessed a little bit it shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I'm not too sure how else to describe this category as I am new and my vocabulary is limited. When it comes down to it, clarity and excitement is what I'm looking for here. I know that theres probably not a pair in my price range that will give me everything I want but there has to be some sort of sweet spot right?

I do listen to older metal on occasion (Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.) but am mostly into death metal like Children of Bodom/ Between the Buried and Me/ Dreamshade/ Veil of Maya and recently even some metalcore such as August Burns Red/ Parkway Drive. Besides that, I listen to a lot of rap/hip hop also so bass is a must there obviously too.

I'd really like to stay below $150 but I'm willing to dish out a little extra if it's really needed. There doesn't seem to be a general consensus on the best IEMs in this price range. A few I've seen mentioned are the GR07/TF10/Westone 4 but those are really pushing the budget limits and I'm not sure if they will give me the sound I want.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #1,769 of 5,364
Quote:
Okay so I actually posted a whole thread about this yesterday and was PMed that I shouldn't have done that and should instead post here so sorry about that!

I'm pretty new to this forum but I've been lurking for the past couple weeks or so and have searched a ton but can't quite find the answer I'm looking for, and not sure what is outdated and isn't anymore.

I bought a pair of the Klipsch x10s for the Black Friday sale and will be returning them as I do not really like what they're offering. Not enough bass, mids/highs feel muddy at times and everything feels too relaxed for my liking. I guess this means that I'm really looking for a fun pair of headphones with lots of musicality ( not sure if thats the right term?) 

I'm looking for a pair of IEMs (or potentially full headphones if someone is convincing enough, but I'm pretty set on IEMs) that have the following qualities:

Bass- I'm not exactly sure if I'm a "basshead" as im new to the high-end headphone market but I definitely want a very good amount of bass, tight and thumping (especially in metal with things double bass pedals and the like). I really want to feel the bass. Not just listen to it (which is what it felt like with the x10s)

Mids/Highs- Clear and crisp mids and sparkling highs are probably quite important for metal, although if the mids are recessed a little bit it shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I'm not too sure how else to describe this category as I am new and my vocabulary is limited. When it comes down to it, clarity and excitement is what I'm looking for here. I know that theres probably not a pair in my price range that will give me everything I want but there has to be some sort of sweet spot right?

I do listen to older metal on occasion (Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.) but am mostly into death metal like Children of Bodom/ Between the Buried and Me/ Dreamshade/ Veil of Maya and recently even some metalcore such as August Burns Red/ Parkway Drive. Besides that, I listen to a lot of rap/hip hop also so bass is a must there obviously too.

I'd really like to stay below $150 but I'm willing to dish out a little extra if it's really needed. There doesn't seem to be a general consensus on the best IEMs in this price range. A few I've seen mentioned are the GR07/TF10/Westone 4 but those are really pushing the budget limits and I'm not sure if they will give me the sound I want.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

So, so sorry for the late reply. I had typed up an answer almost immediately, but the power on the laptop went out, and I lost it. Sigh. It was so long as well.

Anyways, if the X10 didn't have enough bass for you, you might be wanting a little more bass than normal. FXD80s are crisp, clear, sparkling. Mids aren't that recessed, but it's a V-shape for sure. Bass is fast, tactile, and digs pretty deep. Great tonality for metal. The GR07 won't have more bass than the X10, but it'll be fuller bodied and more crisp. Maybe that's worth looking into as well. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #1,770 of 5,364

BTW you don't have to be sorry. It's okay to start any thread you wish in the respective correct forums. This thread is just here to help neaten things up and provide a place to go for questions like yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back