Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Aug 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #1,006 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks, my request for help still stands. What's a good upgrade for it, priced $120 or less (can go $150 if necessary)

GR07 is an incredible deal at its price point and would be appropriate for working out. It has a neutral sound signature, with amazing bass but the treble is not its greatest strength. Still, its almost a no-brainer at this price point. I'd stay away from the SE215 unless you need lots of bass; it got lots of praise when it hit the ground, but quickly was revealed to be a FOTM; they've hat lots of build quality problems. If you use a portable amp, the RE262 is one of my favorite iems and is $149; amazing mids! You may want to do some research on the FXD80; it has some FOTM appeal right now, and I haven't heard it, but it seems like an incredible deal in your price range, if the praise is as good as everyone says. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #1,007 of 5,364
Hello folks. 

I need a very comfortable IEM to listen to on the bicycle. Will listen them on the iphone 4 or Galaxy s2.

The music I listen to rap, RNB, and sometimes electronics.

In IEM it is important to have a low bass and midrange. I like very much to hear the voice of the singers.

The budget of up to $ 50 or if it is something much better then you can up to $ 100. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #1,008 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello folks. 

I need a very comfortable IEM to listen to on the bicycle. Will listen them on the iphone 4 or Galaxy s2.

The music I listen to rap, RNB, and sometimes electronics.

In IEM it is important to have a low bass and midrange. I like very much to hear the voice of the singers.

The budget of up to $ 50 or if it is something much better then you can up to $ 100. 

Vsonic gr06 but you will have to use the ear guides or the sure se215 

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #1,009 of 5,364
Quote:

GR07 is an incredible deal at its price point and would be appropriate for working out. It has a neutral sound signature, with amazing bass but the treble is not its greatest strength. Still, its almost a no-brainer at this price point. I'd stay away from the SE215 unless you need lots of bass; it got lots of praise when it hit the ground, but quickly was revealed to be a FOTM; they've hat lots of build quality problems. If you use a portable amp, the RE262 is one of my favorite iems and is $149; amazing mids! You may want to do some research on the FXD80; it has some FOTM appeal right now, and I haven't heard it, but it seems like an incredible deal in your price range, if the praise is as good as everyone says. 

Wow thanks a bunch for the feedback. Between the GR07, RE262, and the FXD80's, what's your ranking (taking into consideration my needs)?

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #1,012 of 5,364
I recommended the GR07 purely from the fact that the cord seems the most durable and if you lift weights or something snagging the cord won't break it as easily.

For the other two, I haven't personally tried them.

Purely from what I've read, it seems like the FXD80s are somewhat dependent on the depth/angle of the insertion, which will affect the sound. That coupled with what seems like a heavier housing with a shallow fit, in my mind, would not be something I would want to use while running 
tongue.gif

Re262 just seems...flimsy to me. Something i'd baby.  No idea how it runs ampless either.

I'm interested to see what others have to say...

Mind you the fit with the standard stock tips on the GR07 does not install trust either.

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #1,014 of 5,364
Luckily for you there is a huge thread on this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/579151/gr07-tips-thread/60

It seems to me eke2k6 had success with the meelec triple flange tips and those seems pretty well suited to working out if you are ok with deep insertion:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-249-iems-compared-final-audio-fi-ba-sb-and-fi-ba-sa-added-08-03-12/6945#post_8378542

Other tips I read about were the jays, hybrids and a few others mentioned in that main thread.

There maybe a better suited IEM altogether for working out, above should work though :)

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #1,016 of 5,364
I started a thread here, but I thought that maybe I should post up here to see for help (probably should have hit here first, but hindsight is 20/20). The first post of the thread goes pretty in-depth, but here's a summary of what I'm looking for:

Over-the-Ear or On-the-Ear headphones (fold-up or portable, obviously) that:
  • Have a full sound that is still clear in the lows, mids, and highs. Preferably with as many styles as possible, but I mostly listen to film scores, vocal music in the same vein, and the Piano Guys, with some other odds and ends thrown in there. I'm also going to be using them UNAMPED, so take that into consideration too, if you could.
  • Have good passive isolation (I don't want to hear the outside, and I don't want the outside hearing me).
  • Price less than or equal too $200.
  • Removable cable (the wire is always the first thing to go in my experience).
  • Look relatively nice. (Very low on my list, but I wanted to make it a nice even 5).

I was looking at the ATH-M50, but I read that, nowadays, they don't give you the most bang for your buck. Someone in my thread also recommended the Noontec Zoro, but I read in a lot of reviews that the isolation/leakage wasn't the greatest on those.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #1,017 of 5,364
Hi Guys 

Looking to get some advice, I'm in the market for some new phones, normally id go and just buy generic rubbish, but i want to invest into something decent as i do enjoy my music

Ive been reading around the Internet and these forums for the last couple of days, and i think Ive confused myself and now i dont know what i need/want

1. I mainly listen to Reggae, R&B, Pop
2. Like a mic/idevice controls (iPhone 4s & 'new' iPad)
3. Suitable for gym use (Weight training and running/rowing)
3. If possible in white or green (match my iPhone as its modded)
4. I have a maximum budget of £80

i was looking at the AKG K450/Q460, Philips Downtowns

but then i thought, id be better off with IEM, as i cant see on ears being useful in a gym environment!

what can you guys recommend????

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #1,018 of 5,364
Any suggestions for a relatively portable set of closed back headphones?  I'm looking for something I can use at home and on the bus, so having some isolation would be nice.

Some background:
I currently have a pair of PX 100s, which are finally giving up the ghost.  I quite like the sound, though when I first bought them I though they were a touch bass heavy, and the treble has always been a bit.. harsh?  I'm not familiar with the terminology, but I find that they aren't that comfortable to listen to over prolonged periods.

I use to have a pair of HD 495s.  Those were fantastic, and when I describe the sound of the PX 100 it's in relation to those.  That said I've gotten used to the slightly stronger bass of the PX 100, so I suspect I'm looking for something "in between" in terms of bass.

I also have a pair of HD 595s, those sound OK, but somehow... lacking.  I dunno what it is, but maybe listening to my PCs onboard audio out through a good, but not fantastic, amp doesn't help.  Maybe the sound is just a bit... distant?

The absolute best headphones I've ever tried were the HD 590s.  That was way back when I got the 495s, and I actually preferred the 590s over the 600s.  They were out of my price range back then though.  And again, my tastes have probably changed a bit.

I'm now looking at the HD 449s.  Now I don't know if this is even the right forum for this - I am looking for something that is "portable", and the 449s look like they only just pass.  I am open to other suggestions, but have been out of the market for quite a while, so I don't know what's available nowadays.  I spend way too long on the bus, commuting to and from work, and I've found that the PX 100s do OK here, but I can't take anything with lots of treble as it starts to hurt after a while.  Nothing major, and I have the volume set quite low, my ears are actually very sensitive, but all that makes me think that what I want is a closed set with fair isolation.  Partly to block ambient noise, and partly to be able to hear the music without having to raise the volume.  In terms of music tastes, mine are all over the place.  But I'd guess bands, more easy rock and vocals.

I'm also not fixed on Sennheiser, it's just that that's the brand I'm most familiar with.  And there is a store in town where I can try some units out.  Problem is there are a lot of models to try and I'm not entirely sure where to start.

Recommendations appreciated!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #1,019 of 5,364
Hello all. I'm new to the audio scene and just looking at my first pair of IEMs over $30. I'm really unsure of what's good and and bad out there so I came here for some suggestions. My max budget is $80. I really need comfort, isolation, and durability as these will be getting used heavily. I listen to everything from Bach to Metallica with some dubsteb in between. I like a noticeable amount of bass, but not so much so that the treble gets drowned out. I won't be doing anything too rigorous with them, just some walking, but being able to stay in is a must, also not a lot of microphonics. The only set I've come across that seems to fit my needs are the Sony MDREX 310LP's, but I've also heard they have some issues with wind noise. Any more suggestions or thoughts on the Sony's? 

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #1,020 of 5,364
What a great place! 

My story with IEMs is not very impressive. started out many many years ago with Koss plugs and when I got my d-Jays I re-experienced, re-LIVED, my entire music collection. Today I'm still kind of happy with the d-Jays soundwise, I frankly don't know any better. 
However the Jay-cable-issue has found me and I've decided to change brand and price level.

I'm hoping for a few suggestions to consider. Hopefully the following summary is enough to narrow something down:

- Budget: $300
- I'm a bass guy. (survived wiht d-Jays as long as I had some EQ)
- Broad music interest, however:
- I'm less picky about sound quality in rock/hard techno/noise
- I'm more picky about sound quality when it comes to ambient, electronica, classical, vocal, etc. 
- I also use my IEMs as monitors for my Zoom H2 recorder. In that perspective I guess the isolation factor is a plus, i.e only hearing the surrounding audio via the recorder to the IEMs.
- I like to jog and take walks, so I need something that doesn't pop out of my ears. Also, when walking I don't like audible cable friction/bumping.
- I loved the fit of the d-Jays, i.e. not pushing the buds into the ear canals but rather have the back of the ear gently hold it fast (hard to describe, hopefully you know what I mean).
- Not sure it's viable to have flat cables and still care about sound, but I like the thought of tangle-free cables (almost led me to buy beats by dre).
- I like when the music/sound "comes from everywhere". I.e. spacious sound, not making me feel boxed in. But I guess that might be a mandatory benefit when you reach above the $100 or so, no?

Can't think of much more. 
I've been very keen on getting a pair of Monster Turbine Gold. However, reading about them in these forums, it seems they are quite heavy and easily pop out of the ears. So perhaps not ey?

So, what do you think I should be looking at? 

Thanks
/Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back