Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jul 24, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #976 of 5,364
Quote:

I had not considered Etymotic HF5 because i thought they were over my budget, but it seems I can actually find them for 83 euros, shipping included.

Though i'm concerned about the comfort, I read they were really uncomfortable to some people. My ears aren't delicate flowers, but I sometimes listen to music for 6 or 7 hours straight. So how do they feel ? Are they really uncomfortable ?

Still hesitating (particularly between hifiman re-zero/re0 and the etymotics), other opinions are welcome. 
smile.gif

The triple flange tips can be (very) bothersome in the beggining, I tried to push them too far and boy, that was horrible, but they isulated A LOT. I tried after the foam tips and when I belived there couldn't be more isolation, the stock foam tips are simply the most insulating tips I have ever found, and they are incredibly comfy too, but the problem is that they have 1 month lifetime.

After I found that I tried comply's , which for the HF5 I disliked, and then I came back for the triple flanges(which my friends always make fun of me calling a cristmass tree ¬¬) that are the ones I use today. The trick for me is that they need a deep insertion, but if you go too deep, they can be incredibly uncomfortable, but if you insert it just enough to seal, you have one of the best insulations on the market which is comfortable, although not in the same level as a comply, and praticle(no need to the smashing ritual of foam tips).

Finding the good tip for you can be incredibly hard, a thing that I'm descovering right now with my Westone 4R ¬¬" .

This is a very good price for the HF5, but make sure you are buying form an authorized resseler, so you can keep you warranty.
Also, I wouldn't sugest you listening 6-7 hours of music straight, principaly with a headphone or in-ear, try taking breaks in between.

I have never heard the hifiman's in-ears, my only experience with a hifiman was their dynamic fullsized HE-300, and it was pretty good, but I can't comment on those.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #977 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking for an all-around performer which provides comfort, isolation, and immersion in public and on planes. Budget is $200. Music genre is instrumental/acoustic rock. Should I bother looking at active noise canceling? I am willing to do IEM or headphones. Also recommend whether you think an external amp is needed when driven by an iPhone 4. Thanks!

I don't know what to suggest you, but I think you shouldn't bother with active noise cancelling. In my opinion, if you need insulation, get a good insulating in-ear and you are well better than most people.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #978 of 5,364
Quote:
I've heard some things about the cable turning a green-ish color, but nothing too much about the build quality. The new GR07 Mk2 is on eBay for $159 if you're interested! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vsonic-GR07-mk2-R07-/221064306368?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3378759ec0&_uhb=1#ht_634wt_1189 Here is the link, btw. :)

Thank you and thank also stevenlongs,

I'm considering the GR07 in the future, I'll read more about it, hope I can test it, and maybe latter this year or next year I get one.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #979 of 5,364
Hey all,

Lately I've been listening to music using my DBA-02 v2 iems and have been noting that they tire my ears out quickly. I think it is the energetic treble, lack of bass, etc. This has only recently stared happening. So, for now, I am the market for some cheaper replacements.

I am looking for an earphone that is warm, slightly bass heavy, and laid-back, without being too boring or blending into the background. But here's the tricky part: I still would like a fairly good, detailed treble. And the even trickier part: I have a strict budget. The most I can afford to spend right now is about 70-80$, maybe a little bit more if I find something I like.

These will be used for alt rock, jazz, and some funk and soul.

Thanks.

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #981 of 5,364
Hello Head-fi! I'm a long time lurker first time poster looking for a new set of portables. Right now I am in an "innocence is bliss" state of mind with my Meelectronics m9, portapros, and sennheiser HD 202. Last week I broke the HD202's, but it was time for an upgrade anyways.

I want to replace the sennheiser's with something with a lot more bass and are somewhat comfortable (~45 minute uses) that sounds good for hip-hop, pop, Acoustic (Jack Johnson and such) with some soft rock as well. My budget is 200 dollars and I thinking about the ath-pro700mk2 with an E6 amp. Thoughts?

Notes: -These are for portable use as in study hall, not running around or anything
          - I am completely ignorant about Headphones
           - The best cans I've heard are the Hd202

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #982 of 5,364
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the site and forums and found it while researching a new set of IEM's to replace my skull candy ink'd buds that recently broke. I'll use them mainly if not solely for running/jogging and the use will vary from occasional track use to mainly sidewalk/road. I'm looking for an in the ear pair that stays in well while running so I'm considering models that have an over the ear hook style. I'll be using them my android phone listening to mp3's of various quality, none of which are flawless so SQ is not of the utmost importance although I'd certainly want them to sound better than my previous skull candy Ink'ds. I like the idea of having an in line remote to control the volume and tracks and having a mic would be a plus.

Some models I'm considering are the Meelectronics M6P and  Philips SHS8105A/28 The M6P's look really nice for the money but it's discouraging that they were on sale at many vendors and now they're out of stock. I contacted the manufacturer who tells me they have been running low on this model  for a while now. So while I can still find them available, they more than what they were just a little while ago when they were in stock at most of their vendors.  I've looked into the Sennheiser Adidas CX 680i Sports Headset but the controls don't seem to work properly with Android devices and they're a bit pricey.

I'd like to stay in the $20-$40 range unless they is something much better for only a bit more.  I'd appreciate the input and advice of the members here in helping me make my decision. I've read several reviews of the M6p's and they look good for the money but I  can't seem to find any decent reviews of the Philips SHS8105A/28. I'd really like to hear from anyone that has any experience or knows of a review of the Phillips so I can compare them to the M6P's. Would these over ear sets interfere with me wearing sunglasses? Thanks.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #983 of 5,364
Hi, I've seen some great suggestions for budget IEMs like the Monoprice and Focals. However I'm looking for one with a iPhone remote, are there any you can suggest?

Also, I'm looking for bluetooth IEMs that are reliable and have good sound quality, and have been reading up on the LG Note hbs-700, Jaybird JF3, Plantronics Go, Phiaton PS20 BT and PS210 BTNC, and MEE remote. I wear glasses so prefer not to have something over the ear. Which of these do you recommend and are there any others I should be looking at?

Does anyone have experience with these?
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Earbuds-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B007LOLVLU/ref=pd_cp_cps_1

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones-microphone/dp/B008CSM9FG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343572136&sr=1-2

BTW right now I'm using the UE 600vi. Budget is $100 or so, but wouldn't mind hearing about better options if it's worth spending more.

Thanks!
Sith

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #984 of 5,364
What sellers on ebay are selling genuine ADDIEMs? thx

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #985 of 5,364
Fellow head-fiers, its time for me to buy new iems and who else better to ask than you guys. I sadly had to get rid of my Pfe 232 ( oh how I loved them), I'm looking forward to trying something New and these have caught my eye in particular: Atomic Floyd Superdarts or Monster Pro Copper.

I listen to Altternative, Alternative rock, indie, new wave, and acoustic. I'm leaning torwards the Atomic Floyds due to the hybrid drivers. Any help? Random fact, I like my bass.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #986 of 5,364
So I've decided on the Etymotic HF3 after managing to lose my ER6i, and I see people getting them for less than $130. Where's everybody finding these deals? 
triportsad.gif
 Best price I can find is $179 at Amazon. I'm in Canada, anyone find any deals on the HF3 recently?

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #987 of 5,364
Quote:
So I've decided on the Etymotic HF3 after managing to lose my ER6i, and I see people getting them for less than $130. Where's everybody finding these deals? 
triportsad.gif
 Best price I can find is $179 at Amazon. I'm in Canada, anyone find any deals on the HF3 recently?

A little while ago, Amazon had them for about 100...  You have to be patient.  Heck, I got my HF2 for 97 XD  Amazon.com, llc + free 2-day :)

EDIT: not really little while ago...  A few months back...  A little more than a few.  I seem to be understating a lot today :p

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #988 of 5,364
Hi guys 

I'm after some suggestions as to what to go for as I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to headphones but do have quite a lot of experiece in car audio systems and home hi-fis. My main concern is that I may be overlooking brands and models simply because I haven't heard of them before. This is a bit of a learning curve for me.

I currently have a set of Monster Turbine IEMs, however I find that after 45 minutes or so they begin to become uncomfortable and also they tend to fall out when walking. That said I do like the sound they produce and the level of noise isolation. 

I tend to listen to my music in busy environments so noise isolation is key. I also fly a lot so noise cancelling is an option but after reading around the subject it seems to be that a good set of closed back headphones is more likely to do the trick.

The source will be an iPhone 4 and, for now at least, will be un-amped. However, I may consider getting a sub £100 portable amp in the future. My budget for the headphones is £150 but could stretch to £200.

I listen mainly to indie and dubstep but also some house music as well so good bass reproduction is crucial but I still like to retain a detailed top-end and good mids.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #989 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys 

I'm after some suggestions as to what to go for as I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to headphones but do have quite a lot of experiece in car audio systems and home hi-fis. My main concern is that I may be overlooking brands and models simply because I haven't heard of them before. This is a bit of a learning curve for me.

I currently have a set of Monster Turbine IEMs, however I find that after 45 minutes or so they begin to become uncomfortable and also they tend to fall out when walking. That said I do like the sound they produce and the level of noise isolation. 

I tend to listen to my music in busy environments so noise isolation is key. I also fly a lot so noise cancelling is an option but after reading around the subject it seems to be that a good set of closed back headphones is more likely to do the trick.

The source will be an iPhone 4 and, for now at least, will be un-amped. However, I may consider getting a sub £100 portable amp in the future. My budget for the headphones is £150 but could stretch to £200.

I listen mainly to indie and dubstep but also some house music as well so good bass reproduction is crucial but I still like to retain a detailed top-end and good mids.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Not sure how prices transfer but maybe consider the W3, IE80 and FX700.

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #990 of 5,364
Quote:

A little while ago, Amazon had them for about 100...  You have to be patient.  Heck, I got my HF2 for 97 XD  Amazon.com, llc + free 2-day :)

EDIT: not really little while ago...  A few months back...  A little more than a few.  I seem to be understating a lot today :p

You can pretty much always get them for near that price form EarphoneSolutions 20% off sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back