Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jul 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #949 of 5,364
Looking for a recommendation on IEMs preferably under $200 new or used.  My music of choice is acoustic, folk, classic country, etc.  My home speakers are Aerial 5B and my full size headphones are AKG 701s.  I have a pair of MDTs and do not like them.  For me, they are too bass heavy and lack top end clarity.   I've read good reviews on the REzero, TF10, and Ety ER4.  Do any of those fit my music, taste and budget?

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #951 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for a recommendation on IEMs preferably under $200 new or used.  My music of choice is acoustic, folk, classic country, etc.  My home speakers are Aerial 5B and my full size headphones are AKG 701s.  I have a pair of MDTs and do not like them.  For me, they are too bass heavy and lack top end clarity.   I've read good reviews on the REzero, TF10, and Ety ER4.  Do any of those fit my music, taste and budget?

How much and what do you like about the 701?

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #954 of 5,364
Quote:

I haven't tried the V-Jays. But I have Koss KSC75's on the Parts-express headband, and also using the Portapro's pads (instead of the KSC75 stock pads). This combination really seems great. The KSC75 drivers are fabulous imo - love the sound coming out of them. And having them on the Parts-express headband is perfect in that sound seems to be the perfect distance from the ears (ie closer than using the ear clips), but still not too tight on the ears (very comfortable - I can wear them for hours). Also, the headband is easy to take off (compared to the ear clips) and it is comfortable to hang around the neck. As far as the pads are concerned, the KSC75 pads are a bit thicker and not as soft as the Portapro pads. I found the KSC75 pads to get a bit itchy when against the ear (using the headband), whereas the Portapro pads are soft and not itchy at all.

This might all seem like a bit of a hassle, but the combo is really great.

Edit:

I just read postrock's review of the V-Jays:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/614729/compact-portable-headphone-roundup-16-phones-including-portapro-px-100-ii-v-jays-tracks-k430-and-more

They look like nice earphones, but somewhat pricey (by comparison, the KSC75's are $20). You may also want to consider the Sennheiser PX100-II's (cost less than the V-Jays - I got mine for $55). Postrock's review of them (see above), plus Katun's review of them (see below) convinced me to buy them to supplement my KSC75's (I haven't received them yet though).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593796/px100-ii-review-the-sennheiser-hd625

Hey thanks.. the thing is I can get a used Vjays for the price a new ksc75. thanks for the impression on the KSC75 mate..

I tried the px100II, but they are just too dark and mellow for my taste.. The Vjays has a lot more sparkles up top.. but I have never tried KSC75. so thanks again for your impression. I guess since I can get either of them for the same price I will just purchase them both lol.. and sell the one I dont like hahahaha

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #955 of 5,364
Guys - TF10 Vs. V-Sonic GR07 - which do you buy? Budget capped at $150.

You know....it's a tough call when it comes between these two IEM's, not that they sound alike but they're both excellent choices. Owning both two days ago I would of said the GRO7 hands down, but TF10 keep bouncing back with their triple armature drivers and continue doing things GRO7 can't. The bass on TF10 is far more involving when it comes to genres like trance, hiphop and dubstep though you lose some sub-bass as a trade off. What makes me lean towards TF10 is soundstage depth, separation and imaging, also it's ability to keep busy tracks in check. GRO7 tends to become a little confused when fast tracks get busy, songs begin to sound congested.

I'm inclined to say TF10 might be the better choice.

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #956 of 5,364
What are a nice pair of IEMs under $100 that lean towards bass?  I'm stuck between the Hippo VB (which most reviews say are king) and the Monster Turbines (which many reviews say is a great all-rounder).  Any experiences with the two?

How about the A-jay Fours or Klipsch S4i? Are there better alternatives?

I, also, seem to read that Hippo VBs have a tendency to ... well be defective.  Is this true?
The Monster Turbines, also, seem to be a bit heavy since it isn't made of plastic.  How does this fit into comfort?

Thanks a bunch!

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #957 of 5,364
What are a nice pair of IEMs under $100 that lean towards bass?  I'm stuck between the Hippo VB (which most reviews say are king) and the Monster Turbines (which many reviews say is a great all-rounder).  Any experiences with the two?

How about the A-jay Fours or Klipsch S4i? Are there better alternatives?

I, also, seem to read that Hippo VBs have a tendency to ... well be defective.  Is this true?
The Monster Turbines, also, seem to be a bit heavy since it isn't made of plastic.  How does this fit into comfort?

Thanks a bunch!

I have owned both Hippo VB and Turbines. Although Turbines are 'slightly' better sonically you won't have the same bass rumble from them, VB offer sub-bass I have heard from no other IEM expect one. Where as Turbines have a mid bass hump. Basically both are good choices. if you want the "most" bass possible go for Hippo VB, remembering at high volumes there is some bass bleed into the mids. If you're willing to sacrifice some bass quantity for better detail take Turbines. They are both truly comfortable, I myself don't notice the weight on the Turbines housings and rate them one of the best looking IEM's I own.

As for the defective VB's it's a mystery, we're seeing many more people without problems than with, though the channel imbalance is a problem that can occur.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #958 of 5,364
I used to own the HifiMAN RE252 which I absolutely adored for the detail, accuracy and much larger soundstage (compared to the crap IEMs I owned before them. Their fit was not the best for me at all as the housing pushed up hard against the Tragus of my ears and the nozzle was too large. Add to that that I couldn't find any smaller tips for it and I had to endure some discomfort to listen to them for which I was richly rewarded. After they got wreaked in an accident, I decided to try finding a replacement as they were discounted. I currently own the Shure SE215 which is my benchmark for comfort when I use the small Shure olives. Their bass heavy sound signature is fatiguing to me as I constantly search for the treble in every track I listen to. When EQ'd to be as flat as possible though, the SE215 sounds excellent but that eats at the battery on my Sansa Clip+.

My choice of music varies but is mostly situated in Electronic, EDM, Dubstep, Trance, Rock, Alternative, Classical, Hip Hop, Pop (occassionally), Jazz.
Everything is driven from my Sansa Clip+ and (occassionally) from my ThinkPad X200s.
I tend to use the soundtrack to the movie Inception as my test album as I find it tests the the entire frequency range in an IEM for me. It sounds good on the SE215 but I find that bass is too elevated and the midrange and treble aren't elevated enough. The soundstage is quite small as well as congested compared to the RE252.

The first option is the VSONIC GR07 (and MKII) which is supposed to have a similar sound signature to the RE252 (and Grado GR10?). I wanted to wait for it to come down in price on Lend Me Ur Ears but then the MKII came out. Despite the swingable nozzle, I'm still concerned about the housing pushing hard against the Tragus' of my ears. The tips that come with it will go a long way towards ensuring that I get a comfortable, proper seal.

The second option is the JVC FX40 which has a detailed sound signature which I found quite enjoyable surpising given the price. I bought them on Dsnuts recommendation but had to return them. Imagine the RE252's housings but made of plastic and that was how the FX40 felt to me except with more discomfort.

The third option is the JVC FXD80 which is said to be a more refined FX40. Given the large nozzle needed to accomodate the 5.8 mm microdriver, I'm not sure that they'll fit me comfortably (if at all) even with the smallest tips. The fact that the entire housing of each earpiece is inline with the nozzle will help a lot with getting them fitted comfortably.

The fourth option is the Yamaha EPH-100 which is supposed to have a (slightly?) warmer sound signature than the GR07. The nozzle is quite large as well which is needed to accomodate that large 6.0 mm microdriver. As the housings are inline with the nozzles, I'll have an easier time getting them in my ears if they will even fit.

The last option is the Etymotic HF5 which like the more espensive ER-4S is quite analytical in it's sound signature. The fit sound be excellent given the small body. As long as it doesn't sound like the JAYS q-JAYS, I'll take it.

Sorry about the long post but I prefer verboseness to vageness when asking for help.

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #959 of 5,364
Looking for some help from the experts here -- I think I have narrowed it down to a couple of options, but I am not sure that there is one headphone that can do all I want it to.

My listening habbits:
Music is a total crap shoot, everything from classical to rap (probably the most is top 40, country and classic rock).  
I also watch a lot of movies on airplanes and would like them to support pc/xbox gaming through my Astro MixAmp

Sources - Music is iphone on the road and computer or squeezebox at home, movies will be primarily from my ipad, and gaming will be exclusively through the Astro Mixamp for Dolby Headphone.

I am currently using Shure E3Cs most of the time and Brainwavz M4 when I think I might be getting phone calls.   I like the Shure's quite a bit, but am looking to branch out into some cans vs. iem.

I had originally planned on getting some 558s based on the rave reviews from the gaming world, but I am sure the open design will make them unusable for a lot of my listening, so I am now looking at HD 25-1 II and the MS 400 Moderna.  I love the idea of ANC and the microphone/push button cable of the Beats Pro, but I am willing to give up those options for better headphones.  Budget is comfortable up to $200 and can go up to $300 with a little bit of "boss" convincing.

Can the HD-25s or MS-400s be a jack of all trades like I am looking for, or is there something else that I should consider, maybe even an option with the bells and whistles of the Beats, but the quality of the Sennheiser or Phiaton?  I am not opposed to a headphone/amp combo, but would still like to stay in the same price range.

Thanks for the help!

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #960 of 5,364
Random Thoughts:

I heard today for the 1st time the Senn's HD600, HD650 and the Hifiman HE-300.

I spent ~ 2 hours listening them in the local store, they had a Heed Canamp(never heard about, but it's probably my ignorance) using Sansa Fuze+LOD+RCA adapter as source.

In the end, I prefered the HD600, it sounded more natural and pleasant for me from the bunch, and I may be wrong, but I think the Westone 4R sounded more "agressive" them it, still, I think there was a bit more detail in the last.

The HD650 sounded a bit too dark I think, and the HE-300 lacked something, I don't know...

It was a very interesting experience, I hope that I have the chance to compare the HD600 to the Beyer DT880/990, I am thinking in buying an open can, so I was hovering between them as they are much talked here in Head-fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back