Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jul 10, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #931 of 5,364
Okay I've narrowed my choices down to Shure SE215, HiSoundAudio Crystal, Vsonic Gr02, Yamaha EPH-100, TDK EB950, and the Sunrise Xcape IE. I'm not sure which types would be best suited towards house/trance and other genres like that because that is what I mainly listen to + some rock and pop. Would love it if someone could help me with these.

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #932 of 5,364
Okay I've narrowed my choices down to Shure SE215, HiSoundAudio Crystal, Vsonic Gr02, Yamaha EPH-100, TDK EB950, and the Sunrise Xcape IE. I'm not sure which types would be best suited towards house/trance and other genres like that because that is what I mainly listen to + some rock and pop. Would love it if someone could help me with these.

Yamaha EPH-100 is the best choice out of these.

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #933 of 5,364
Quote:
I know yow you feel, haha! I came here just looking for a pair of headphones for home use and got enticed by portable headphones, modding headphones, DACs, and AMPs!

Yeah... Since joining the site I've bought JVC HA-FX66, JVC HA-FX67, Sennheiser HD555, Alessandro MS1, Xears XE200Pro, FiiO E6, Vsonic GR06, HiFiMan RE262, FiiO E11, Vsonic GR07, JVC HA-FX40, JVC HA-FX1X, and JVC HA-FX101. Those last 3 were pretty much curiosity buys. I'm burning them in for proscribed times to see just how good they really are for $15-20 each. :S I am *particularly* interested in hearing the carbon nanotube drivers on the HA-FX40 after a few hundred hours of burn-in. What a crazy place this is....

I'm also tempted to buy a DAC, but I'm using my stereo receiver with HDMI audio and it is working more than sufficiently. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #934 of 5,364
Quote:
Yamaha EPH-100 is the best choice out of these.

Would it be worth a $30-40 price difference compared to Xcape IE or $60-70 over HiSound Audio PoPos? I'm not 100% sure if I want to shell out that much for IEMs just yet. What would your recommendation be for a sub $100 IEM for a bass head that also likes to listen to lighter stuff?

Thanks so much for your help also and to everyone else as well. Really helping me with my situation and I'm learning a heap.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #935 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys!

I've managed to get myself my Lawton Modded D5000s, and now I've realised that the in-ears I'm using aren't exactly the greatest in the world for isolation, or sound, so I'm thinking to get myself some customs :) I've been thinking between the ACS T1, and the Unique Melody Merlin and Miracles, although I'm open to any other suggestions. The cap'd be around £700 (~$1100) for me, but I'd save up for a month if it meant a better experience. In general, it'd be for soul, R&B and hip-hop, but also EDM and acoustic music, so in general more of a warmer, slightly laid back sound with a wide, but not unnaturally wide soundstage.

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Just as an update as well, I've been having a look around and narrowed it down to the Miracle and JH13 just on the levelled out bass and soundstaging being said to be a bit nicer. Has anyone got either of these? Would you describe them as warm if anything?

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #936 of 5,364

I believe it's definitely worth the extra cash. It's a fairly steep improvement compared to the sub $100 bracket. EPH-100 scored 8.9/10 which is far more than a lot of others even above it's price range. If you do want to go sub $100 however you can look at Hippo VB which has interchangeable bass plates. Or possibly Vsonic GRO6.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #938 of 5,364
Quote:
You can also pick up some Atrio M5's (with the MG7 drivers) for $108 shipped brand new in box. If you want to save a little money, you can pick them up used here on the sales forum for around $60-$80. Well worth it. Especially if you like bass. 

Where would you get these Atrio's? I still may in the end go for the Yamahas but I want to look at my options before I get definitive.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #939 of 5,364
Quote:

one of my favourite IEM of all time - absolutely fantastic, especially with custom cable (to pull the mid forward), though fit is a completely different story all together, unless you have a big canal, it won't fit snuggly

Thanks!! I've been looking at them for a while now, and everyone says you that you need a custom cable. Would the FiiO RC-UE1 cable do the job? You can get them for around $25-$30, i think. And is the bass good on the TF10s? I listen to Drum n bass, etc etc

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #943 of 5,364
Quote:
I have been thinking of buying new headphones/IEMs for a couple of weeks. I currently have JVC FX700 and I used Earsonics SM3 before these. I like the bass on FX700 and they perform very well with house/trance type stuff but they are bit lacking when I play classic rock/metal on them. SM3 on the other hand were very consistent across genres and although I think they were a little lacking on bass, I loved the crispness of the sound. It was bright and lively. I would love something with sound signature which is a mixture of both if such a thing exists.

I'd be selling my FX700 and adding some money to that so my budget is around $400-450. The additional use that I am going to put these to is plugging them directly into my guitar when I don't want people aroudn me disturbed. Or use them when I am recording something. So I thought of getting full-size cans as they might be better(?) but I am still gonna need IEMs for when I am at work. This might end up being very expensive but I read the reviews for Audio Technica M50 and they seem to be a good cheap option. Although, I don't know how good they'll be for monitoring/recording type work. Then it leaves me around 300 for IEMs. What can I get for $300?

Or I can use the full budget go down the custom IEM route. I can then use that for both listening to music and plugging in to my guitar to record and stuff. Its just gonna be a line in to the PC from the guitar (recording to Guitar rig or something) and line out from PC to my monitors.

Any help is much appreciated.

Someone?

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #944 of 5,364
Quote:
hey guys.. which would you prefer? Koss KSC75 or V-Jays, regardless the price difference... I want an allrounder portable headphones/earphones. thankss!!

I haven't tried the V-Jays. But I have Koss KSC75's on the Parts-express headband, and also using the Portapro's pads (instead of the KSC75 stock pads). This combination really seems great. The KSC75 drivers are fabulous imo - love the sound coming out of them. And having them on the Parts-express headband is perfect in that sound seems to be the perfect distance from the ears (ie closer than using the ear clips), but still not too tight on the ears (very comfortable - I can wear them for hours). Also, the headband is easy to take off (compared to the ear clips) and it is comfortable to hang around the neck. As far as the pads are concerned, the KSC75 pads are a bit thicker and not as soft as the Portapro pads. I found the KSC75 pads to get a bit itchy when against the ear (using the headband), whereas the Portapro pads are soft and not itchy at all.

This might all seem like a bit of a hassle, but the combo is really great.

Edit:

I just read postrock's review of the V-Jays:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/614729/compact-portable-headphone-roundup-16-phones-including-portapro-px-100-ii-v-jays-tracks-k430-and-more

They look like nice earphones, but somewhat pricey (by comparison, the KSC75's are $20). You may also want to consider the Sennheiser PX100-II's (cost less than the V-Jays - I got mine for $55). Postrock's review of them (see above), plus Katun's review of them (see below) convinced me to buy them to supplement my KSC75's (I haven't received them yet though).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593796/px100-ii-review-the-sennheiser-hd625

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #945 of 5,364
Not really buying any new headphones or earphones, but possibly a new amp. I just have a small question as it's related to portable headphones, and it probably wouldn't make a lot of discussion so I didn't want to create a seperate thread for it.

I currently own these: Sony MDR ZX300. I know that some headphones/IEMs sound worse with an amp. I was wondering, if I bought a FiiO E6 and used it while playing through my iPod, would I be able to notice a difference on these headphones, and would it be a good difference or a bad difference?

I will end up buying new headphones later (not super expensive ones), but I was told that an amp would be a good investment too (keep in mind, I'm new to this whole hi-fi thing). I'll just end up buying the new headphones later and I'll end up using them with this same amp. It's just a matter of buying both an amp+new headphones now, or buying the amp first, waiting a bit, and then buying the headphones (money issues).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back