Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 31, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #316 of 5,364

Quote:
Seeking guidance again, posting this from my thread to see if I get any replies here before reviving/bumping my thread.

I have had two pair of AKG K518DJ headphones and they are a blast: good bass (not too heavy), good sound quality overall for the price.
There's just one problem: my second pair now died on me, with the same problem as my first.

I usually take my headphones everywhere, take care of them (don't throw them, use the carrying case, fold them nicely etc...) but the plug that goes into my portable source (iPhone) seems to die really quickly. This resulted TWICE (a little less than 2y) in the headphones' right side to stop working unless I wiggle the plug in an odd manner. I believe this might come from the fact that I put it in my jeans while on the go (bike/etc).

Since I'm going to return this pair again and either get store credit on Amazon or a new pair, it made me doubt.

Should I go for a third pair of AKG K518DJs or just change headphones?
There's barely any good headphone stores around here and most just sell basic Sennheisers. I have tried PX-200Ii model and didn't like the smallness and sound of the headphones (the bass seemed VERY light to be honest). Didn't get around testing many other models.

I checked the guide and apparently in about the same price range there are Creative Aurvana Live! which seem to do the trick, yet others say they have a different sound completely from the AKG K518DJ. I don't want muddy bass or just overpowering bass, but a good punch is always nice (fun factor).
I'm really torn on what to do, so I come to head-fi for some advice! :)

Tl;dr: new headphones needed, stick to AKG K518DJ for a third time or switch (if so, to what?)
Music: electronic (bass), some rock/metal and jazz. Also used from time to time for movies/games/series (not really important there for me).
Need to be quite portable (even though I also use at home), so no full sized headphones please (longer than 1m cable is good though).
Price range: +/- 60 euros (www.amazon.fr price for AKG K518DJs, can be a bit above but max is 100 euros).
A link to new pair on there = perfect!
If more info is needed, shoot.

Thanks in advance all!

P.S.: It's been a while since I posted, it's semi advice but also wondering how come twice the same problem happened to me on (what's supposed to be) sturdy headphones. If it belongs in another thread feel free to tell me.

This used to happen to me quite frequently with IEMs, and to be honest, you probably just need to watch out for the plug a little bit more. It gets a lot of stress if you stick it in your pocket and yank on it in different directions (which will happen if you're biking), and you'll run into similar issues no matter what headphones you buy. If you want, you could also improve the strain relief by attaching some heatshrink or flexible tubing around the plug area. It sounds like the sound of the AKGs does it for you pretty well, so maybe you could just try to treat the cable a little nicer. Or, you could use them with a short L-plug extension cable, which would probably get less strain at the plug end, and allow you to replace just that part if it ever breaks.

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #317 of 5,364
So it seems to be the consensus that the M11+ has the best bass out of the M9 and M6?

Has anyone tried both?

ljokerl's review says the M6 & m9 have better sound- but that might not include bass heaviness, am I right?

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #318 of 5,364

Quote:
This used to happen to me quite frequently with IEMs, and to be honest, you probably just need to watch out for the plug a little bit more. It gets a lot of stress if you stick it in your pocket and yank on it in different directions (which will happen if you're biking), and you'll run into similar issues no matter what headphones you buy. If you want, you could also improve the strain relief by attaching some heatshrink or flexible tubing around the plug area. It sounds like the sound of the AKGs does it for you pretty well, so maybe you could just try to treat the cable a little nicer. Or, you could use them with a short L-plug extension cable, which would probably get less strain at the plug end, and allow you to replace just that part if it ever breaks.

Thanks for the fast reply! I figured I might put strain but since I thought that was the case last time.
I really paid attention to how I was putting it in my pocket (pretty deep so that the cable had no strain or barely yet it still happened :-/.
I think investing in an L-plug wouldn't be a bad idea, but was wondering at the same time (since I could get store credit) if any other headphones would be an ante up considering the target of the headphones (portability+overall general usage).

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #319 of 5,364

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the fast reply! I figured I might put strain but since I thought that was the case last time.
I really paid attention to how I was putting it in my pocket (pretty deep so that the cable had no strain or barely yet it still happened :-/.
I think investing in an L-plug wouldn't be a bad idea, but was wondering at the same time (since I could get store credit) if any other headphones would be an ante up considering the target of the headphones (portability+overall general usage).

Well, at least form what I've read, the K81 and its siblings seem to be a nice balance between portability, durability, and bass, all at a good price point. I don't really know of any others that can compete with them in all those areas without being significantly more expensive.

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #321 of 5,364
After all that talk about the MEelectronics M6, M9 and M11, I think I will look at the Klipsh S4. These seems to have much better build quality and bass. Can someone recommend where to buy? I dont know about ebay (I know a lot are fakes). I am in BELGIUM. Thanks

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #322 of 5,364

Greetings friends ,

I`d like to ask for a recommendation for a pair which would best suit my criteria .

Basically - I`m looking for a pair which would let me enjoy my chosen genres of music the best ,
Those would be - Classic and alternative rock as main genres , Jazz/Blues and 60/70/80/90's as well .
If I had to be a bit more specific - I`d like to enjoy the melody with Tenacious D/SOAD/VOTJ/Metallica/Avenged ,
while maintaining good vocals with Yello/Modern talking/... and a clear and accurate "punch" in Beat it/MJ .

I have went over dozens of recommendations , and I think that my new IEM`s would be chosen from the following :
TF 10 , DBA-02 , DDM2 , RE272 , RE262

Question I`d like to settle is - which one ?

Thank you so very much ,

Danny .

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #323 of 5,364
Hey! Could anyone help me in deciding an IEM to buy my girlfriend? 
She listens to a lot of post-rock and k-pop.

Here are some examples I found:
'Post-Rock':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIK5FaC38w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpdwwa7lsUI

K-Pop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVEVMeSvHx4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdPnMoxKOWY

She listens to her music from an iPhone 4 unamped and her music is bought from either iTunes or Amazon (256kbps AAC and 256kpbs MP3, respectively).  

I have let her try my MTPC and she likes the sound, but finds them ugly. Therefore, I'm looking for a white-colored IEM (sort of like the stock Apple earbuds) and was considering the Monster Turbine Pearl.  I'm sure there are much better alternatives out there, so any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Short Version: White-colored IEM for Post-Rock and K-Pop. Source is unamped iPhone 4.

My budget is $250 new or used.

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #324 of 5,364

Quote:
After all that talk about the MEelectronics M6, M9 and M11, I think I will look at the Klipsh S4. These seems to have much better build quality and bass. Can someone recommend where to buy? I dont know about ebay (I know a lot are fakes). I am in BELGIUM. Thanks

I don't know much about S4 distribution in Belgium, unfortunately, but I think if you're moving up a tier you might want to look beyond the S4s. They're decent, but can be sibilant (sharp highs), and aren't the absolute bassiest IEMs out there. The MEE SP51 and Brainwavz M4 come to mind, to give a couple examples.

Quote:

Greetings friends ,

I`d like to ask for a recommendation for a pair which would best suit my criteria .

Basically - I`m looking for a pair which would let me enjoy my chosen genres of music the best ,
Those would be - Classic and alternative rock as main genres , Jazz/Blues and 60/70/80/90's as well .
If I had to be a bit more specific - I`d like to enjoy the melody with Tenacious D/SOAD/VOTJ/Metallica/Avenged ,
while maintaining good vocals with Yello/Modern talking/... and a clear and accurate "punch" in Beat it/MJ .

I have went over dozens of recommendations , and I think that my new IEM`s would be chosen from the following :
TF 10 , DBA-02 , DDM2 , RE272 , RE262

Question I`d like to settle is - which one ?

Thank you so very much ,

Danny .

I don't think the Mid-centric RE262s will be your best bet for stuff like rock and metal, as it's very smooth and lacks a bit of that treble bite. The DBA-02 and RE272 may not be quite bassy enough either, though that really depends on what you're used to, and they can give you the punch, just not as much bass body. The TF10s have a v-curve, which works well for rock and the like, but maybe not so much for mid-centric genres like jazz. I don't know much about the DDM2, unfortunately, but it's supposed to be fairly bassy as well. One IEM I think you should seriously consider, though, outside your choices, is the JVC FXT90, which has a fun signature, but without the mds being to recessed. For more details find some reviews and read some of the appreciation thread.

Quote:
Hey! Could anyone help me in deciding an IEM to buy my girlfriend? 
She listens to a lot of post-rock and k-pop.

Here are some examples I found:
'Post-Rock':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIK5FaC38w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpdwwa7lsUI

K-Pop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVEVMeSvHx4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdPnMoxKOWY

She listens to her music from an iPhone 4 unamped and her music is bought from either iTunes or Amazon (256kbps AAC and 256kpbs MP3, respectively).  

I have let her try my MTPC and she likes the sound, but finds them ugly. Therefore, I'm looking for a white-colored IEM (sort of like the stock Apple earbuds) and was considering the Monster Turbine Pearl.  I'm sure there are much better alternatives out there, so any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Short Version: White-colored IEM for Post-Rock and K-Pop. Source is unamped iPhone 4.

Perhaps the MEElectronics CC51? The white ceramic housings have a nice luster to them in person. The Pearls look nice, but are overpriced. Maybe also the Klipsch Image S4, though those are more plasticky.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #325 of 5,364
Quote:
I don't know much about S4 distribution in Belgium, unfortunately, but I think if you're moving up a tier you might want to look beyond the S4s. They're decent, but can be sibilant (sharp highs), and aren't the absolute bassiest IEMs out there. The MEE SP51 and Brainwavz M4 come to mind, to give a couple examples.

Seconded, I bought these with high expectations and was disappointed, coming from stuff like the Sennheiser CX 300's it's more of a shallow fit and I hated how deep the insertion on the S4's were. Also, I let the S4's burn in for quite some time and the high's haven't settled down yet so I might try and sell them on eventually or something.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #326 of 5,364
Thanks 50an6xy06r6n !

After quite the reading I think I`ll settle on re262's or the fxt90's , can someone shed some light on the subject
of which would be better ? 

With the rest of my budget I think I`ll get a decent amp (thinking the zo2.3) .
Which should perform better (= be more enjoyable to listen to) ?

Thanks again guys .

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #327 of 5,364

Hi,
My budget is $1000, and I was thinking of either getting UM Miracle or HE-500 + amp. I listen to all sorts of genres, but mostly rock, alternative rock, rock-pop and jrock/jpop (think Mylo Xyloto). I also listen to soundtracks and orchestral.

I prefer balanced headphones with good bass impact and treble sparkle. I find soundstaging and imaging comes second after sound signature. Currently my IEM's are TF10's, they sound great but the soundstage is a bit cramped compared to headphones plus the midrange is getting to me. Any recommendations? Should I get the UM Miracle or HE-500? Sound quality is my main concern because on the go I can still use my TF10's, although it would be nice to have something good and portable.

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #328 of 5,364
Hey all, im going to the US this week and im on the market for some good IEMs

Now these will be playing mostly metal and hard rock. I'm a Bass player and a music lover in general but i think what im looking for is something that will play the music exactly the way it was meant by the producer/band and will give good detail of each instrument, but i don't know if that kind of IEM sounds a little bit too "small"? What i mean is, i'd like to have a full sound in my head, i don't know if you get what i'm saying, something like my whole head filled by the music, maybe i just need to raise the volume though.

Now i don't really have that much experience so i'm not sure if im looking for an analytical type or something like that. So that's why i come here for advice.

Budget is Somewhere around $50-80 and maaaaybe i could stretch it to 100 ( I had the shure 215s in mind)

So what do you think?

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #329 of 5,364

Quote:
Hey all, im going to the US this week and im on the market for some good IEMs

Now these will be playing mostly metal and hard rock. I'm a Bass player and a music lover in general but i think what im looking for is something that will play the music exactly the way it was meant by the producer/band and will give good detail of each instrument, but i don't know if that kind of IEM sounds a little bit too "small"? What i mean is, i'd like to have a full sound in my head, i don't know if you get what i'm saying, something like my whole head filled by the music, maybe i just need to raise the volume though.

Now i don't really have that much experience so i'm not sure if im looking for an analytical type or something like that. So that's why i come here for advice.

Budget is Somewhere around $50-80 and maaaaybe i could stretch it to 100 ( I had the shure 215s in mind)

So what do you think?

Have you considered the head-direct RE0's?

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #330 of 5,364

Quote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klipsch-IMAGE-S4-Image-Headphones/dp/B001V9LPT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333365895&sr=8-1
Or French website, both work for us in Belgium. I personally get my headphones from Amazon.fr :wink:.

Anyways, I'm going to get refunded from Amazon for my K518DJs, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there are any headphones that are a step up from K518DJs in the +/- 90€ price range then? (I know that I need to take care of the plugs now, but still not sure if I could step up my sound with this budget)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back