Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #241 of 5,364

Quote:
     Thank you for the quick answer. Although I'm very inclined for the possibility of buying one, my dilema is the following:

I already heard the Westone 4 and was realy, realy, wanting to buy them latter, but it appeared a chance(after posting for the questions here on the forum) to buy them later this year. As so I don't know if it would be a good idea to go for the Vsonic if I wait a little bit more I get the Westone 4 or just wait and save for the Westone 4. My problem with the < US$ 200 budget was that a relative would bring it in a travel for me.

I just discover that I'll probably going in a work trip so I would have to be limited by this budget. So what do you think?

Is it worth to save and wait for the westone 4(which I have heard and I'll defenitly buy someday) or try the Vsonic Gr07 first, without listening it?

If you've heard the Westones and you know you really like them already, you might just want to go straight there, though I guess it'll really depend on how much longer you'd have to wait, how long you're willing to wait, and what return policies are like. If return policies are good, you could conceivably try the GR07s and return them if you don't think they're that good. Not sure what the second two paragraphs are about though, could you clarify?

Quote:
Is there a durable iem or earbud headset out there? I have not had one that did not break within 3 months use. It is always a wire issue. One of the earbuds loses power and you are left with one working and one just useless. 

Some brands like DUNU are known to make IEMs with solid build quality, but even the best-built ones will die if you mistreat them. For example, if you wrap it around your phone or iPod without unplugging it, that puts a lot of strain on the cable near the plug, and regardless of how durable it is, it will break eventually...

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #242 of 5,364

Quote:
If you've heard the Westones and you know you really like them already, you might just want to go straight there, though I guess it'll really depend on how much longer you'd have to wait, how long you're willing to wait, and what return policies are like. If return policies are good, you could conceivably try the GR07s and return them if you don't think they're that good. Not sure what the second two paragraphs are about though, could you clarify?

My problems is the following: I live in Brasil, and it's simply impossible to buy any headphone here because or they are insanely overpriced(like US$ 100 - 180 for an Sennheiser HD201, I still can belive in it, or a beats solo for US$ 500, beats are specially overpriced) or simply there is nowhere to buy(just to name a few brands that simply aren't sold here: Westone, yuin, hifiman, beyerdynamics, etymotic...), as is for most kinds of eletronics, cars, or anything that's not made inside Brasil.

As a consequence, I bought and buy most of eletronic/audio/computer stuff abroad when either a travel or a friend/relative travels. For an example, I bought recently my AKG K550(loving them btw) when I traveled early this year. I thought I would only travel again next year so I found out that a aunt would be traveling latter this year so I was going to ask her to bring a pair for me, but since there is a US$ 500 quota in the customs, I didn't want to fill her quota with only my headphone, that's why I originaly asked for something under US$ 200. She was going to travel in late April.

Unexpectadly I found out that I'll probably have the chance to travel again, so not only I'll have more room and so room for the westone 4, but also also that would be this year, July, and so I wouldn't have to wait a lot. Time in this case wouldn't be a problem. Also I'm already saving for the westone 4, so it's in my budget plan, that's what I meant by not being limited on the US$ 200, since I'm not overloading somebody else I don't have problem to get them.

When I traveled I had the chance to hear the Westone 4 along many others between the airports(InMotion Entertariment is a blessed store), among them the Klipsch S4, Ultimate Ears UE600, Shure SE215, SE315, SE425, SE535, Westone 2, 3 & 4 and the one(s) that got my atention were the Westone's, and my favorite was the Westone 4. Since I had already spent more money than I originaly intended before hearing them I decided not to spend an aditional US$ 400( fiio e5 amp included in the price I think).

I remember my impressions about all those phones, at least I wrote most of them while still on the airplane so I know "how they sound like", and so I wouldn't going to be buying them blindly. Since I never heard the GR07 and probably I'm not going to anytime soon, I would have to buy them solely based on reviews, without hearing them myself, and though I bought some phones in this basis, it's not something that I like to do nor that I want to keep doing If I can avoid.

About return policies. All that I can say is that even if there are, I can't use them because I wouldn't pass more than 2 weeks or at max a month abroad so it would be at least dificult to contact and ask for a refund for a piece that I don't want to keep. So what I buy I have to keep or resell it here to a friend or alike. On the best case scenario, I get international warranty to my products to keep my mind at ease, worst and not so uncommon case, I'm on my own.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #243 of 5,364

Quote:

My problems is the following: I live in Brasil, and it's simply impossible to buy any headphone here because or they are insanely overpriced(like US$ 100 - 180 for an Sennheiser HD201, I still can belive in it, or a beats solo for US$ 500, beats are specially overpriced) or simply there is nowhere to buy(just to name a few brands that simply aren't sold here: Westone, yuin, hifiman, beyerdynamics, etymotic...), as is for most kinds of eletronics, cars, or anything that's not made inside Brasil.

As a consequence, I bought and buy most of eletronic/audio/computer stuff abroad when either a travel or a friend/relative travels. For an example, I bought recently my AKG K550(loving them btw) when I traveled early this year. I thought I would only travel again next year so I found out that a aunt would be traveling latter this year so I was going to ask her to bring a pair for me, but since there is a US$ 500 quota in the customs, I didn't want to fill her quota with only my headphone, that's why I originaly asked for something under US$ 200. She was going to travel in late April.

Unexpectadly I found out that I'll probably have the chance to travel again, so not only I'll have more room and so room for the westone 4, but also also that would be this year, July, and so I wouldn't have to wait a lot. Time in this case wouldn't be a problem. Also I'm already saving for the westone 4, so it's in my budget plan, that's what I meant by not being limited on the US$ 200, since I'm not overloading somebody else I don't have problem to get them.

When I traveled I had the chance to hear the Westone 4 along many others between the airports(InMotion Entertariment is a blessed store), among them the Klipsch S4, Ultimate Ears UE600, Shure SE215, SE315, SE425, SE535, Westone 2, 3 & 4 and the one(s) that got my atention were the Westone's, and my favorite was the Westone 4. Since I had already spent more money than I originaly intended before hearing them I decided not to spend an aditional US$ 400( fiio e5 amp included in the price I think).

I remember my impressions about all those phones, at least I wrote most of them while still on the airplane so I know "how they sound like", and so I wouldn't going to be buying them blindly. Since I never heard the GR07 and probably I'm not going to anytime soon, I would have to buy them solely based on reviews, without hearing them myself, and though I bought some phones in this basis, it's not something that I like to do nor that I want to keep doing If I can avoid.

About return policies. All that I can say is that even if there are, I can't use them because I wouldn't pass more than 2 weeks or at max a month abroad so it would be at least dificult to contact and ask for a refund for a piece that I don't want to keep. So what I buy I have to keep or resell it here to a friend or alike. On the best case scenario, I get international warranty to my products to keep my mind at ease, worst and not so uncommon case, I'm on my own.

Oh, sorry, that's what I thought you meant, but in your last post you made it sound like now you were limited to $200. Misunderstanding cleared!
So knowing this, I think you should probably just go for the Westone 4s, since you've heard them and you know you like them. No sense in spending money on something you may or may not like, especially since return policies are uncertain and the GR07s are known to not be a "wow" sort of IEM (They don't do anything incredibly well, they just do everything pretty well).

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #244 of 5,364
looking for some iems under 200.  I listen to mainly classic rock and related genres. I hate overpowering bass but i like a decent amount. I am looking at ultimate ears triple fi 10, senn ie 7(or ie6) and westone um1.  Which of these, or similarly priced iems, do some of you recommend.   btw, i you think i should raise my budget a little i could, but i would prefer to stay under 200.

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #245 of 5,364
Did not see this thread and ill just copy past my question what iem to get.

I mainly use in my house and work a pair of ad2000s and a he-5le for listening.

I am looking for an iem with somewhat punchy bass that has a sound signature close to those two headphones. Ive been mainly looking into ER-4pt mainly but I hear they are quite outdated now and I have ever tried low budget shures( as far as iems go) and would like to spend about 250$-280$ max on these. I listen to pop/house/electronic music, orchestra, swing and hip hop mainly. in that order. I was looking into tf10 but the v shape sound is something I dont think I've experienced.

sorry about making a new thread I didn't even know this was a thing in the portable forums. Thanks again for the help guys in advance!

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #246 of 5,364
New poster - a little help please?
I need two headphones.

I'm taking off on a backpacking trip through Africa. Will be on public transport with crowds, in 4x4 on back bumpy dirt roads, hiking, camping. Need recommendations for reliable headphones to bring along. I don't want a gear failure in the middle of the backcountry. When it's noisy (public bus), I want to be able to hear my music without cranking up the volume and when it's quiet (camping) I want to be able to appreciate the nuances in my audio.

1. Please let me know what you experts recommend based on the following
- under $100
- light weight, pack small (nothing full size/giant cans as if I'm a part time dj)
- no earbuds (they never stay in)
- durable/reliable
- I listen to everything except ska, country, wizard rock, death metal: afrocuban, alternative, blues, bluegrass classical, electronica (lean toward the heavier bass), jazz, opera, pop, rap, reggae,  soul etc
- I particularly want to enjoy the strings in classical and the *everything* about Mogwai & Bob Marley
- I have little ears (dunno if that matters)

I'm female and will be traveling solo so please don't recommend anything that will draw too much attention. Though, I doubt that's possible w/ my budget.

Any suggestions?

2. Also, would like a 2nd pair of headphones for jogging at under $50.

Thank you!!

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #247 of 5,364
What to do with this thread? There's like a dozen posters asking for advice and one volunteer trying to answer everyone‘s questions. I‘d love to help but my experience with the various phones available is limited to a select few. I can tell you everything there's to know about those phones and nothing about others. So unless telling everyone to get a pair of Philips SHE3580 counts as advice... :p

Are the mods going to take a more active part in this thread, since they started it...? Right now it seems newbies will still be better served by asking in ljokerl‘s thread or starting their own thread...:xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #248 of 5,364

Quote:
I need two headphones.

I'm taking off on a backpacking trip through Africa. Will be on public transport with crowds, in 4x4 on back bumpy dirt roads, hiking, camping. Need recommendations for reliable headphones to bring along. I don't want a gear failure in the middle of the backcountry. When it's noisy (public bus), I want to be able to hear my music without cranking up the volume and when it's quiet (camping) I want to be able to appreciate the nuances in my audio.

- under $100
- light weight, pack small (nothing full size/giant cans as if I'm a part time dj)
- durable/reliable
- I listen to everything except ska, country, wizard rock, death metal: afrocuban, alternative, blues, bluegrass classical, electronica (lean toward the heavier bass), jazz, opera, pop, rap, reggae,  soul etc
- I particularly want to enjoy the strings in classical and the *everything* about Mogwai & Bob Marley

I'm female and will be traveling solo so please don't recommend anything that will draw too much attention. Though, I doubt that's possible w/ my budget.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

I got a pair of Etymotic's HF5 from amazon by US$ 88+tax/shipping. Sound isulation is impressive to say the least.
Very sturdy for as long as I could see, also small but not tiny. Very clear an clean, a very neutral headphone but a bit bass-light, but understand, you can hear the drums and the bass, but as far as I can see not feel it as I can with other headphones. Not bloated by any means.

Forget what I said, they returned to their normal price @ US$ 150.

Also in this price range there is the Ultimate Ears UE600, I heard them a bit and liked. Also clear, but with a bir more bass. You can find reviews about both of them in the net. One of the best wide reviews/comparisons out there(or down here if you prefer):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-229-iems-compared-altec-lansing-uhp336-ue-superfi3-hippo-10eb-added-03-11-12

Here the link for the UE600

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003YKG2XC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332045186&sr=8-1

For under 50, the ones that come to my mind are the sennheiser CX500 and CX300-II. They are very close sounding, certanly not the best for their prince, but I liked the CX500 while I owned it, but I can't give any more detailed/precise opinion about them. Just to say that they are bassy.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #249 of 5,364
Okay need some help!

Currently, my only IEMs are Bose which are starting to fail on me and I am looking for some new ones. I currently own Audio Techinca ATH-A700 and Fischer Audio FA-003 and I really like how they sound. Looking for something that has clarity (most important) and decent bass (But not overpowering). I'm looking for something that does what the Bose does but way better. Hoping to keep it sub$200, unless something is slightly over that budget but way better. I've been recommended Fischer Audio Tandems, are those good? Oh and hopefully something I can get in the states... Thanks!

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #250 of 5,364
A question for users or owners of Sennheiser IE6: how much would you say they are really worth relative to sound quality? I can buy them locally for around 100$ and I'm wondering if they are worth it or should I look elsewhere. I'm not really a bass lover. :)

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #251 of 5,364

Quote:
looking for some iems under 200.  I listen to mainly classic rock and related genres. I hate overpowering bass but i like a decent amount. I am looking at ultimate ears triple fi 10, senn ie 7(or ie6) and westone um1.  Which of these, or similarly priced iems, do some of you recommend.   btw, i you think i should raise my budget a little i could, but i would prefer to stay under 200.

I would add the GR07 to your list, as well as the FXT90 and maybe the Brainwavz B2, etc BA IEMs, as whether they have decent bass quantity seems to be an issue of personal preference.

Quote:
Did not see this thread and ill just copy past my question what iem to get.

I mainly use in my house and work a pair of ad2000s and a he-5le for listening.

I am looking for an iem with somewhat punchy bass that has a sound signature close to those two headphones. Ive been mainly looking into ER-4pt mainly but I hear they are quite outdated now and I have ever tried low budget shures( as far as iems go) and would like to spend about 250$-280$ max on these. I listen to pop/house/electronic music, orchestra, swing and hip hop mainly. in that order. I was looking into tf10 but the v shape sound is something I dont think I've experienced.

sorry about making a new thread I didn't even know this was a thing in the portable forums. Thanks again for the help guys in advance!

Sorry, not really familiar with your current headphones. But since you were looking into the ER-4pt, I assume you're looking for something a little more analytical? Perhaps look into the B2s, RE272s, ACS T15, and GR07. And if you haven't already, go read through ljokerl's IEM review thread.

Quote:
I need two headphones.

- under $100
- durable/reliable

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

For the first one, maybe something like the MEElectronics A151 in terms of design would fit the bill. That, and maybe the Hisound Audio Crystal.
For jogging, look into the MEElectronics M6/S6, and H2O Audio's sweat-resistant models.

Quote:
Okay need some help!

Currently, my only IEMs are Bose which are starting to fail on me and I am looking for some new ones. I currently own Audio Techinca ATH-A700 and Fischer Audio FA-003 and I really like how they sound. Looking for something that has clarity (most important) and decent bass (But not overpowering). I'm looking for something that does what the Bose does but way better. Hoping to keep it sub$200, unless something is slightly over that budget but way better. I've been recommended Fischer Audio Tandems, are those good? Oh and hopefully something I can get in the states... Thanks!

BA-based IEMs like the B2 or HF5 will give you the most clarity and detail, but some people think they're too bass-light. The GR07s will offer more bass body and subbass, but a little less high-end detail. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #252 of 5,364

Quote:
What to do with this thread? There's like a dozen posters asking for advice and one volunteer trying to answer everyone‘s questions. I‘d love to help but my experience with the various phones available is limited to a select few. I can tell you everything there's to know about those phones and nothing about others. So unless telling everyone to get a pair of Philips SHE3580 counts as advice...
tongue.gif

Are the mods going to take a more active part in this thread, since they started it...? Right now it seems newbies will still be better served by asking in ljokerl‘s thread or starting their own thread...
redface.gif

Yeah, it's a bit unfortunate. In general though, very few people will have heard every headphone in a given price or sound class (ljokerl excluded, of course), so it becomes difficult for anyone to give definitive advice, just recommendations. I've also only heard a few IEMs from a few different price categories, but I try to make general recommendations based on sound sig and usability preferences based on reviews, my own experiences, and comparisons between IEMs I've heard and others I haven't. If I ever mess up or give bad advice, though, feel free to call me on it, as I'm still learning, too. I agree that ljokerl's thread is a very good resource, but it takes a long time to read all the way through, and even ljokerl is only mortal (though barely).

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #255 of 5,364
Hi all,

I have been using the UE triple fi 10 pro for 3 years now, and they recently broke, so I am kinda looking for a replacement and maybe an upgrade? i really liked these earphones, the only complain i have is that they are not quite comfortable... so I really want to find a pair of IEMs that is a lot more comfortable than the UE triple fi 10 pro (won't hurt or feel discomfort even after long hours of wearing? more than 6 hours, as i do quite a lot of traveling) my budget will be around £300 something tops? also i would like them to have replaceable cables! :) thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back