Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Feb 29, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #121 of 5,364
Eh I might just get the TF's then...the ability to replace the wire is very nice to me and I KNOW I liked the sound of the super.fis, so I can't imagine not liking them

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #122 of 5,364
I'd recommend getting a third party cable for the TF10.

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #125 of 5,364
My apologies for starting a new thread before seeing this one. Mods, please feel free to delete.

I have done an extensive amount of reading on this site and others, and spent literally hours in the joker comparison thread. I feel like I have far more options now than when I started researching. I currently have the CX300 (first version), and I do enjoy the sound signature; I have other earphones with more bloated bass, but I don't mind that of the CX300. What I am looking for is something with more detailed mids and highs, something that I can push to higher volume without crackling or distortion (especially in the mids), and something with a symmetrical cable.

I'm probably a year or so away from being able to throw the money at the IE80, which from everything I've read is exactly what I'm looking for. In the meantime, I don't mind spending up to the $100 range to get something with good sound and high durability. I guess I'm looking for a midrange between the CX300 and IE80. I listen to classical, classic rock, jazz, all sorts of instrumental music, and the Vienna Horns, which is nearly entirely mids and highs, and this is where I notice the most weakness in the CX300. I would really appreciate any recommendations. I do baby my equipment, which is why my 4+ year old 300's still work perfectly, but durability is always a solid plus in my book. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

To add to this, I ordered the Brainwavz M4 earlier tonight, and already have the sony hybrid and comply foam tips to try with them. I suspect I'm on the right track, but I would definitely appreciate feedback. I spent a couple hours debating between the M3 and M4. Any other suggestions for my purposes?

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #126 of 5,364
Quote:

EDIT: Now choosing between JVC FXT90 and Vsonic GR07.  They're close enough in price to not matter.  As I said before, I want decent isolation as I'll be on trains/planes a lot, and also comfort as I'll have them in for long periods at a time.  Durability is important as I want them to last(a good case would be nice), and I want them to look and feel nice.  Any thoughts?

Quote:
Cool.  Think I'll snag some GR07s then, if it's that much of a toss up then I guess I like how they look better.  Thanks for all the help guys!

In real life the GR07's feel a bit light-weight, if you like looks and durability there's always the Audio Technica CK10 (seyo-shop.com).

Alternatives to the GR07 are GR06 and GR04 if you want to save some cash.

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #127 of 5,364
Hello guys. I have had used IEMs all the time. But recently an ear problem occured and might prevent me from using these anymore. Thus I'll be after headphones. 
I currently own an IE80. Which headphone would you recommend with a sound like IE80? (budget=IE80)

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #129 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello guys. I have had used IEMs all the time. But recently an ear problem occured and might prevent me from using these anymore. Thus I'll be after headphones. 
I currently own an IE80. Which headphone would you recommend with a sound like IE80? (budget=IE80)

Audio Technica ATH-ES88?

Wild guess...

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #130 of 5,364

Quote:
My apologies for starting a new thread before seeing this one. Mods, please feel free to delete.

I have done an extensive amount of reading on this site and others, and spent literally hours in the joker comparison thread. I feel like I have far more options now than when I started researching. I currently have the CX300 (first version), and I do enjoy the sound signature; I have other earphones with more bloated bass, but I don't mind that of the CX300. What I am looking for is something with more detailed mids and highs, something that I can push to higher volume without crackling or distortion (especially in the mids), and something with a symmetrical cable.

I'm probably a year or so away from being able to throw the money at the IE80, which from everything I've read is exactly what I'm looking for. In the meantime, I don't mind spending up to the $100 range to get something with good sound and high durability. I guess I'm looking for a midrange between the CX300 and IE80. I listen to classical, classic rock, jazz, all sorts of instrumental music, and the Vienna Horns, which is nearly entirely mids and highs, and this is where I notice the most weakness in the CX300. I would really appreciate any recommendations. I do baby my equipment, which is why my 4+ year old 300's still work perfectly, but durability is always a solid plus in my book. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

To add to this, I ordered the Brainwavz M4 earlier tonight, and already have the sony hybrid and comply foam tips to try with them. I suspect I'm on the right track, but I would definitely appreciate feedback. I spent a couple hours debating between the M3 and M4. Any other suggestions for my purposes?

I have the M4s (you can read my review), and although they're nice, I don't know if they'll work all that well with mid-centric genres. The mids aren't recessed too badly, but it's missing something in the upper mids, and the bass is pretty strong. However, they are fun, and are nice for bass-heavy genres. BTW they work really well with hybrid tips.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #132 of 5,364

Quote:
Between the FXT90s and GR07s, the GR07s will probably offer a bit more isolation, but not by a whole lot. Both are supposed to be fairly comfortable, so that's not really an issue either. Regarding durability, the GR07s come with a rather nice clamshell case, while I don't think the FXT90s have one that comes with them. However, the GR07s have had a few minor issues with strain reliefs coming unglued, though it's easily fixed and the GR07s are otherwise sturdy. However, it's not too difficult to find a case that will work for the FXT90s, either. I think it'll come down more to sound preferences, and perhaps form factor differences.

The GR07's no longer come with a clamshell case, just a pouch.  The FXT90 has always and still comes with a clamshell case.

GR07

FXT90

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #134 of 5,364
So many tips
eek.gif
! but the case isn't a big deal.  I have the one from my m6's I can use.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back