Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Feb 24, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #61 of 5,364
Lol what a shame 2/3 of my library are files of 192 kbps... are the flaws really noticeable on the hf5 or just a bit? if they are then I guess I'll have to go for the westone 
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #62 of 5,364

Quote:
Lol what a shame 2/3 of my library are files of 192 kbps... are the flaws really noticeable on the hf5 or just a bit? if they are then I guess I'll have to go for the westone 
frown.gif

Well, you might want to take the opportunity to invest in some better music files, as you'll run into this problem if you upgrade any further. I haven't heard the Etys personally, but I've heard they can be pretty brutal with bad recordings, unfortunately.

P.S. There's an edit button...

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #63 of 5,364

Quote:
The DBA-02s are identical to the Brainwavz B2s, which are still available from MP4nation, but you'll have to pre-order, as their new batch comes in next month. There's also an MKII, which you can get from Musica Acoustics, and you can find more details on the dedicated thread. Just curious, why did you rule out westone and shure? they make some very solid IEMs as well.

Thanks. As I understand it, unless I spend beyond my budget I won't get the same sound quality from Westone than the T15 or DBAs. I looked at Shure, eg. SE215, which has a better sound sig, but my concerns are around the wiring/connectors preventing a really good fit - isolation is v. important to me. There also seem to be a lot of complaints about the connectors failing too.

As the q-jays are proving elusive (at least in anything that's not red/white or blue/white) I think that leaves me with the ACS T15 (which look a good balance of sound sig and isolation even if they are single armature and more expensive) or the DBA-02 MKII (less low end but much wider stage) on import for c£120. Is the only advantage of dual armatures the soundstage? Should I go for the DBA and tweak the EQ on the low end? I'm not sure I want to buy an amp just to make the DBAs fit. But I'm still not clear how bass lite the new MKII's are. It's all so confusing!

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #64 of 5,364

Quote:

Well, you might want to take the opportunity to invest in some better music files, as you'll run into this problem if you upgrade any further. I haven't heard the Etys personally, but I've heard they can be pretty brutal with bad recordings, unfortunately.

P.S. There's an edit button...

In my experience (with the ER-4P the HF series' big brother) they're brutal with bad recordings because of their sensitivity to sibilance, which has more to do with "recording" quality than "encoding" quality (eg what bitrate the song is encoded at).  A phone would be most revealing of bad "encodings" if it has high response in the high treble region (16+kHz) where most mp3 artifacts appear but the Etys roll off here.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #65 of 5,364

I'm looking for in-ear monitors that are good for rock music (good mids) below 50 dollars and that surpass the Sennheiser CX 475's. If they exist.

As I said I would prefer emphasis on mids. However, if there are some monitors that offer a better overall experience with a balanced sound signature that isn't strenuous and too dry and obviously not infiltrated by bass as I feel my CX 475's are (just a bit) I would definitely consider them.

Honestly I'm very indecisive and not wise with regard to audio. I'm worried I will make a bad choice. I would appreciate any help you can give me; especially if you go into detail.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #66 of 5,364

Quote:

I'm looking for in-ear monitors that are good for rock music (good mids) below 50 dollars and that surpass the Sennheiser CX 475's. If they exist.

As I said I would prefer emphasis on mids. However, if there are some monitors that offer a better overall experience with a balanced sound signature that isn't strenuous and too dry and obviously not infiltrated by bass as I feel my CX 475's are (just a bit) I would definitely consider them.

Honestly I'm very indecisive and not wise with regard to audio. I'm worried I will make a bad choice. I would appreciate any help you can give me; especially if you go into detail.

If you can stretch your budget, Vsonic GR06 is worth a look @ US$59. Its a bit mid-centric, overall balance sound signature, lush and fun. Good soundstage, spacious and airy. Good instrument separation. It comes with many stock tips. Great value for money

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #67 of 5,364

Quote:

Thanks. As I understand it, unless I spend beyond my budget I won't get the same sound quality from Westone than the T15 or DBAs. I looked at Shure, eg. SE215, which has a better sound sig, but my concerns are around the wiring/connectors preventing a really good fit - isolation is v. important to me. There also seem to be a lot of complaints about the connectors failing too.

As the q-jays are proving elusive (at least in anything that's not red/white or blue/white) I think that leaves me with the ACS T15 (which look a good balance of sound sig and isolation even if they are single armature and more expensive) or the DBA-02 MKII (less low end but much wider stage) on import for c£120. Is the only advantage of dual armatures the soundstage? Should I go for the DBA and tweak the EQ on the low end? I'm not sure I want to buy an amp just to make the DBAs fit. But I'm still not clear how bass lite the new MKII's are. It's all so confusing!

I think the advantage of dual armatures is that it can theoretically cover the spectrum better, as they're dedicated to different frequencies. I haven't really heard anything about soundstage, however. I'm not sure exactly how much you're willing to diverge from neutral, but something like the FXT90 might give you more bass. 

Quote:

Maybe the MEElectronics CC51? It retails for $80, but pretty much everyone sells them for $40-$50. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #68 of 5,364

Hi Everyone,

New to this forum, but there is some great info,

im looking to upgrade from these ****ty stock apple head phones to something alot better,,  

im currently looking at ibeats by dre, Monster Jamz and Skullcandy 50/50s 

I want a in ear head phone that packs alot of bass ( as i listen to alot of dub step, electro, heavy bass music) 

Ideally in the 100-150 price bracket..... reply on this Thread or message me personally would be great.

:)

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #70 of 5,364
Hi,

Im in the UK atm and am looking to buy some IEMs. Im no great audiophile, I'm just looking for something that will work well with the london Tube + walking.

I have been looking at the Shure 425 model (aprox £190) and am not looking to spend any more cash than about the price of those.

I have certain questions:

I listen to a bit of everything (though the most bassy music i listen to is pop) I was wondering whether the shures would be a good "all rounder". Some ppl have suggested Westone 2 (similar price; the Westone 3s are a bit too expensive).

Also, i will be listening to these with my Iphone and I was wondering the size of the 3.5mm plug since i have a case on my phone and i have had issues where i had to take the case off because i couldnt fit the IEM jack in properly.

Basically, if someone with a pair of 425s could measure their plug and post the diameter that would be great.

Also, any suggestions of alternative IEMs under £200 which are good "all rounders", fun and reliable (sturdy is necessary for everyday use).

Thanks in advance :)

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #71 of 5,364

Quote:

Hi Everyone,

New to this forum, but there is some great info,

im looking to upgrade from these ****ty stock apple head phones to something alot better,,  

im currently looking at ibeats by dre, Monster Jamz and Skullcandy 50/50s 

I want a in ear head phone that packs alot of bass ( as i listen to alot of dub step, electro, heavy bass music) 

Ideally in the 100-150 price bracket..... reply on this Thread or message me personally would be great.

:)

You won't find better sub bass than the Future Sonics Atrio with mg7 driver.  You can get them at www.atrio.me for 50% off ($99 instead of  $199) with coupon code CostProg50%.
You have to type the coupon code exactly as above.  They ship from Canada, so I'm not sure where you live but they don't ship worldwide.  I can confirm they ship to the USA.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #72 of 5,364
Hello,

I'd started a thread on 'IEM-s for rock/metal lover' to help me to choose an iem for my daily commute. Here's a link to the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595171/iems-for-rock-metal-lover

I had been considering Brainwavz M2, UE 500 & 600, Panasonic HJE900 and UE TF10-s. Thanks to the advice of many head-fiers and a LOT of reading, I've narrowed down my list and now it looks like this:

1) JVC FXT90

2) VSonic GR07

3) UE TF10

My thoughts on them based on various reviews/threads run like this: ( I cannot audition any one of them as they aren't avail. in my country- I'll have to order them online)

JVC FXT90: Seems to be a fun energetic pair well suited for rock. Was particularly interested after shotgunshane's remarks on how well they sounded with electric guitars. I was all set to pull the trigger on it but after reading issues about driver flex and failure and a bad connector has filled me with doubt and apprehension. Can anybody throw more light on this? Should I be worried about the durability of these phones?

VSonic GR07: Most owners are waxing praises about it. I'm not an audiophile and am worried whether it would sound too flat and lifeless to me. I use a lousy Creative EP630 for my commute and are the GR07-s more enjoyable to listen to than them?

UE TF10-s: An overwhelming majority voted that the TF10-s were the ideal pair for me on the poll I had on my initial thread. The reviews are raving about their SQ but are also critical of its large housings and comfort. For comparison, I do not find my Grados uncomfortable (if that's of any relevance).. I usually get a good seal with small/ medium tips. Are the TF10-s so uncomfortable to wear and get a good fit? Also, are the drivers prone to failure? Lastly, do you think that my phone can drive them without having to use a portable amp?

My ramblings aside, which, according to you guys would be the best for my preferred genre? Which one would be the best bet among the three the most reliable in the long run and cure upgraditis?

Here's how I'd like my next iem to sound:

Bass: I like some bass in my music. I hate it when it sounds too dry. But I don't like it to be too bloated, muddy and giving me a headache. It should also be snappy, quick and impactful otherwise the fast drumming in metal would feel awful. I hope I'm clear here..

Mids: I chose the Grados and for a very good reason- guitar solos and basses never sounded this good! I don't find the mid heavy sound of the Grados fatiguing. However, I don't have a clue as to how good mids would sound on an IEM as opposed to an open-ear headphone.

Treble: Easy- I'd like some decent definition here. I'd like to hear the cymbals crashing and sparkle unlike the lousy reproduction of my Creatives. I don't mind a hot sound here as it adds to the excitement.

I'm not an audiophile yet- I have a short attention span. While listening to music, I tend to stop listening for details and simply enjoy the music instead of analysing it.

Source: While commuting, it's my SE X8 smartphone. It can drive my Grado SR60i without too much hassle. It's mostly 320 kbps mp3 in the X8. I do not use a portable amp.

Please help me out guys! It's so hard to make a clear decision here!! Making things more difficult is that all three of them cost around the same when shipped to my country! It's quite confusing and frustrating for me as I cannot try them out and make my choice... Thanks for reading!

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #73 of 5,364

Hey guys, i have a budget of 120 GBP, and would like some portable headphones which dont need an amp to be used well, will be comfortable, over ear, and be exiting for techno, electronic, dance and such, but be clear precise for slower songs. I didnt know what to go for, and have looked at the hd25-1 ii, but didnt know if its worth the 150 GBP outlay? im after something that sounds special prodominantly for that electronic/dance, and I had bose AE's before, and were perfect, but only suited electronic and that kinda genre so? 

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #74 of 5,364

Quote:
Hi,

Im in the UK atm and am looking to buy some IEMs. Im no great audiophile, I'm just looking for something that will work well with the london Tube + walking.

I have been looking at the Shure 425 model (aprox £190) and am not looking to spend any more cash than about the price of those.

I have certain questions:

I listen to a bit of everything (though the most bassy music i listen to is pop) I was wondering whether the shures would be a good "all rounder". Some ppl have suggested Westone 2 (similar price; the Westone 3s are a bit too expensive).

Also, i will be listening to these with my Iphone and I was wondering the size of the 3.5mm plug since i have a case on my phone and i have had issues where i had to take the case off because i couldnt fit the IEM jack in properly.

Basically, if someone with a pair of 425s could measure their plug and post the diameter that would be great.

Also, any suggestions of alternative IEMs under £200 which are good "all rounders", fun and reliable (sturdy is necessary for everyday use).

Thanks in advance :)

You're lucky to be in London- did you consider the Atomic Floyd Superdarts? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atomic-Floyd-SuperDarts-Remote-Headphones/dp/B00623DRZE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330239533&sr=8-3

They appear to be extremely sturdy and as a bonus, it has a remote for your iPhone. It goes for £208 but from what I've read in various reviews, they appear to be a pair of great sounding phones. I think Apple stores sell them too- maybe you could try them out to see if it works out for you.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #75 of 5,364

Quote:
You're lucky to be in London- did you consider the Atomic Floyd Superdarts? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atomic-Floyd-SuperDarts-Remote-Headphones/dp/B00623DRZE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330239533&sr=8-3

They appear to be extremely sturdy and as a bonus, it has a remote for your iPhone. It goes for £208 but from what I've read in various reviews, they appear to be a pair of great sounding phones. I think Apple stores sell them too- maybe you could try them out to see if it works out for you.

These are great 'phones.  However, their recessed mids were just a tad too much for me (if they were forward 2-3 more dB all around, I wouldn't really complain).  For this reason, I cannot say they are good all-arounders.  Although worse SQ-wise, the MiniDarts will fare better with him (if you're sticking to Atomic Floyd). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back