Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 8, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #1,231 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello Joker or any other IEM supremo :)),

My current rig is Fisher Audio DBA-O2 (mk2) paired with JDS Labs O2.  Am looking to upgrade the IEM.  My sound preference leans towards analytical, but not overwhelmingly so, hence the thought of upgrading/changing.  My current rig is very very analytical.  I listen to mostly prog, jazz, rock and some r&b.  Source is Ipod Classic and always bit rate 256 and higher.  Became interested in Alclair Reference as it seemed to offer a great blend of musicality and detail, and didn't break the bank!  Recently am not so sure.  Am now considering between Reference, 1964 V3, and Clear Tunes CTM-200.

Happy and grateful for any and all views!!

Cheers

Joker most likely won't see this unless you put it on his Review thread. He's probably the only person to ask about this anyways, as he's probably the only one who has heard all three of those CIEMs.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #1,234 of 5,364
Hello! Does anyone know where I can buy a shure se215 limited edition with free shipping? thanks!

Uh, ya. Amazon.

So, UE 500, CX 300-II, a little more for the UE 600, or something else?

Please provide us more information. Music you listen to and sound you are looking for.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #1,235 of 5,364
I am looking for the best combination of sound (see below) and build quality for under 160 USD.

My sound preferences are for a balanced to warm sound, erring towards musicality rather than analytical. I am looking for a good soundstage.

The music I listen to varies but is mainly instrumental including jazz, classical, world and electronic.

I place a huge emphasis on build quality, especially at this price. I use my IEMs daily on my commute and have gone through several models in about 6 months each until I found the rugged, versatile Brainwavz M2. 

Two deal breakers for me: amping and over the ear wearing, ruling out the RE262 and GR07.

On my radar right now are the Yamaha EPH-100s, the JVC FXT90s and the TDK BA200s. The TDKs sound like by far the best match sound wise, but I have questions about their build quality and if they can be worn straight down.

Any suggestions, either from the above or additional models I should think of?

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,237 of 5,364
Clear

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-Dynamic-Microdriver-Earphones/dp/B0064RHVSC

Blue

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZNFEEU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2/192-1681374-0962257?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=072TM3B8GEE56PDD0AQ1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B0064RHVSC

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,238 of 5,364
blue out of stock
triportsad.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #1,239 of 5,364
blue out of stock :triportsad:

You can purchase them here:

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se215-blue-ltd.html

They currently have a 25% coupon using the code TUNES25. That brings the price down to around $90.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,240 of 5,364
Alright, so I guess I've decided on purchasing the Westone 4R. Would you guys recommend buying the 4R for around $370 at EarphoneSolutions or buy a used pair of Westone 4 in the classified for around $275?

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #1,241 of 5,364
Ok so my Rockit Sounds R-50 iems have died (sound went out in right ear.) I loved them but now i need some help finding replacement iems. My budget is $30 (i am ok with spending up to $50 but only if it is really worth it.) I would like dynamic iems with a good amount and quality bass, good clarity and instrument separation. I listen to alternative, rock, hip hop, and jazz. Thank you.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #1,242 of 5,364
Quote:
You can purchase them here:
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se215-blue-ltd.html
They currently have a 25% coupon using the code TUNES25. That brings the price down to around $90.

oh there it is! Thanks for the tip! Im currently browsing on their site but they dont have the shipping option to philippines. Ill try to contact them if they allow shipping into our country, if not, ill try to find another source :)

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #1,243 of 5,364
Alright, so I guess I've decided on purchasing the Westone 4R. Would you guys recommend buying the 4R for around $370 at EarphoneSolutions or buy a used pair of Westone 4 in the classified for around $275?

Well I personally would go for the option with a waranty.

i don't know if you are into upgrading cables but that is always an easier, cheaper option with the 4R. i personally am completely content with my W4 but again I got it new and under waranty.

Its not a bad price for the 4R.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #1,244 of 5,364
Quote:
I am looking for the best combination of sound (see below) and build quality for under 160 USD.

My sound preferences are for a balanced to warm sound, erring towards musicality rather than analytical. I am looking for a good soundstage.

The music I listen to varies but is mainly instrumental including jazz, classical, world and electronic.

I place a huge emphasis on build quality, especially at this price. I use my IEMs daily on my commute and have gone through several models in about 6 months each until I found the rugged, versatile Brainwavz M2. 

Two deal breakers for me: amping and over the ear wearing, ruling out the RE262 and GR07.

On my radar right now are the Yamaha EPH-100s, the JVC FXT90s and the TDK BA200s. The TDKs sound like by far the best match sound wise, but I have questions about their build quality and if they can be worn straight down.

Any suggestions, either from the above or additional models I should think of?

The Yamahas and JVC would be pretty on par build wise. I personally prefer the EPH-100 for that kind of music. Don't think the TDK can be worn straight down though . 

Quote:
Ok so my Rockit Sounds R-50 iems have died (sound went out in right ear.) I loved them but now i need some help finding replacement iems. My budget is $30 (i am ok with spending up to $50 but only if it is really worth it.) I would like dynamic iems with a good amount and quality bass, good clarity and instrument separation. I listen to alternative, rock, hip hop, and jazz. Thank you.

GR02 Bass/MH1C would be your best bet. Or you can just get the Rockits again (they are very good)

Quote:

2 year warranty with the authorized dealer, as well as ridiculously fast shipping. I always seem to prefer buying new for some reason as well. You could just get the W4s with the coupon as well, not really fair to compare the price of the W4R with a used W4. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #1,245 of 5,364
I have decided to return my M100s for a couple of reasons.

1) The isolation isn't good enough for travel. My listening volume, when compared to friends, is way below theirs. When I do crank it up to hear the music, I find it clearer, but discomforting. 

2) The recessed mids? I actually don't know what it is. But describing it, I would have to say that vocals with these aren't "wowing" me. I know  this is vague but I don't know how else to say it. There's just this feeling that maybe there could be a little more detail... I would have to say my music is strongly vocal based, so vocals are a big part of my ideal sound signature. Though I would also like to also hear other parts of the spectrum. V-Moda actually introduced me and hooked me up on some pretty nice bass. I used to not care about it, but now I can actually appreciate good bass. I'm grateful for being part of the M100 preorders, but I finally feel that the headphones signatures are just not for me.

3)Not really a reason, but the M100s have the largest soundstage I have ever heard. The M100s are my most expensive headphones so that should be a given. But I do have a feeling that CIEM/IEM won't be able to reproduce large soundstages? I can't really demo any so I wouldn't know.

So why am I here?

Well, I was wondering what other possibilities I can go for after returning my M100s. With the extra cash, I can probably go with the range around $400-700. I am thinking about CIEMs as they might provide me with the isolation I need (well mainly because they look cool imo). And I've also heard that because of the differences in ear canals, IEMs can sound different from their equivalent CIEMs. However, as I am only 17 (ish), I have also heard people advising against CIEM because of ear canal growth and saying that it will change shape every year or two. I'm fine with reshelling every 5 years, but with 1-2, I may have to reevaluate my decisions. My final decisions will probably come around Black Friday or possible Christmas sales, so I still have a reasonable amount of time. 

Thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back