Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 8, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #1,216 of 5,364
You and your DT1350s...:rolleyes:  And where's that review that we've been pestering you about? What a tease...

Lower-end Grados don't really have a large. open stage anyways. 

Yup u gotta try em.. Really, truley a great portable. I think they've been reviewed to death or do I owe you another one? Don't remember.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #1,217 of 5,364
Quote:
Yup u gotta try em.. Really, truley a great portable. I think they've been reviewed to death or do I owe you another one? Don't remember.

I can generally guess your sound preferences better, so a review from you would be more helpful against those whose biases/preference I'd have to second guess. You're also pretty well-versed and have more of a presence around here, so the community at large would probably appreciate a review. Of course, nobody's forcing you...except me 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #1,218 of 5,364
Anyone got an idea for which headphones would be best to use when running track: Monoprice 8320 IEM vs Koss KSC75

I'm not too sure which would be more comfortable, though it seems like the Koss would be less likely to fall out.
As for sound quality, the difference between them isn't too important to me, but how loud they can get is.

Any info you got would be welcome.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,219 of 5,364
Quote:
Anyone got an idea for which headphones would be best to use when running track: Monoprice 8320 IEM vs Koss KSC75

I'm not too sure which would be more comfortable, though it seems like the Koss would be less likely to fall out.
As for sound quality, the difference between them isn't too important to me, but how loud they can get is.

The more isolating, the less need for it to be loud. Maybe find a better isolating IEM, as the 8320s are vented and have a pretty shallow fit, which makes for poor isolation. The KSC75 are open as well, so no luck there. Any budget? Both are fairly equal in comfort, which is to say, not all that comfortable compared to other IEMs.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #1,220 of 5,364
I'm trying to keep prices under $20, going to $30 as my max if they are a very good pair of headphones. I'm not sure how isolating I want them to be though, as I'm going to need to be aware of what's going on around me, so maybe the open design isn't all that bad? I'm just not too familiar with IEMs or clip-on headphones, but I think that ones that either clip-on or go around the ear would be best, so at least that narrows the search a bit more.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #1,221 of 5,364

The more isolating, the less need for it to be loud. Maybe find a better isolating IEM, as the 8320s are vented and have a pretty shallow fit, which makes for poor isolation. The KSC75 are open as well, so no luck there. Any budget? Both are fairly equal in comfort, which is to say, not all that comfortable compared to other IEMs.

+1 on the comfort issue. The other thing with the monoprice is the cable will DRIVE YOU CRAZY when you are running. Look up "microphonics". The monoprice is up there with the worst cable microphonics I have ever heard.

The Sennheiser CX200 is a decent sounding budget iem ($20) with a soft rubber cable that isn't nearly as bad. They also fit very securely in your ears becasue they are very light weight and small. They do have more bass emphasis for sure..... don't know if that is desireable for you or not.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #1,222 of 5,364
IMO, more bass is not a problem. Are they fragile at all? More so than the Monoprice or Koss I mean. I wouldn't want them falling all the time, but I'm hoping to be able to use them until at least June.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #1,223 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm trying to keep prices under $20, going to $30 as my max if they are a very good pair of headphones. I'm not sure how isolating I want them to be though, as I'm going to need to be aware of what's going on around me, so maybe the open design isn't all that bad? I'm just not too familiar with IEMs or clip-on headphones, but I think that ones that either clip-on or go around the ear would be best, so at least that narrows the search a bit more.

Try the JVC FXD40/Sony MH1C for some good entry level IEMs with actual isolation (though not too much that you lose focus). I can only think of the KSC75 for good-sounding clip-ons at that price, but again, the isolation issue (not that open is necessarily bad, but you mentioned cranking them loud, and I'm just a little bit worried about causing anyone hearing loss). Over-ears like the Monoprice 8223 are amazing at that price as well, if you can handle that size when running. Another good choice (though, again not very isolating) would be the PortaPros and the Sennheiser PX100, especially when considering the form factor. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #1,224 of 5,364
Quote:
+1 on the comfort issue. The other thing with the monoprice is the cable will DRIVE YOU CRAZY when you are running. Look up "microphonics". The monoprice is up there with the worst cable microphonics I have ever heard.
The Sennheiser CX200 is a decent sounding budget iem ($20) with a soft rubber cable that isn't nearly as bad. They also fit very securely in your ears becasue they are very light weight and small. They do have more bass emphasis for sure..... don't know if that is desireable for you or not.

Actually, with a self-made cable cinch, pulled all the way up while wearing them from the back, along with a shirt clip, can cut down on the microphonics on these things immensely. And because they're vented, bone conduction (quite bothersome when running) is not an issue.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,225 of 5,364
I'll research the Sony MH1C more, but as for the PortaPro and PX100 (I've come across both of these recently), I'd like to stay away from headband models as I need to be able to just tuck them in my pocket when we're done running and are moving on to something else.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #1,226 of 5,364
Quote:
I'll research the Sony MH1C more, but as for the PortaPro and PX100 (I've come across both of these recently), I'd like to stay away from headband models as I need to be able to just tuck them in my pocket when we're done running and are moving on to something else.

Actually, both can fold down to the point where they become completely pocketable. Seen it done with the PX series many times before.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #1,228 of 5,364
Quote:
As I look at the PX100 more, it seems like it might be a good match, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get a pair anywhere near $20.

I distinctly remember hearing/seeing them on sale or something way under $50. I honestly can't recall where at this moment. They seem to go on sale quite often though, which is good news. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #1,229 of 5,364
I'll have to snoop around a bit then (in the morning, man I'm tired), but the first big shocker was seeing the $165 price tag on Amazon
blink.gif
. I saw on the Sennheiser page that they were $70, so at that moment I really didn't know what to expect. Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #1,230 of 5,364
Hello Joker or any other IEM supremo :)),

My current rig is Fisher Audio DBA-O2 (mk2) paired with JDS Labs O2.  Am looking to upgrade the IEM.  My sound preference leans towards analytical, but not overwhelmingly so, hence the thought of upgrading/changing.  My current rig is very very analytical.  I listen to mostly prog, jazz, rock and some r&b.  Source is Ipod Classic and always bit rate 256 and higher.  Became interested in Alclair Reference as it seemed to offer a great blend of musicality and detail, and didn't break the bank!  Recently am not so sure.  Am now considering between Reference, 1964 V3, and Clear Tunes CTM-200.

Happy and grateful for any and all views!!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back