Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jun 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #5,296 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

If you don't already have experience doing this, they're right. 

Okay, without knowing your budget, I'm inclined to say the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80.  The V-Moda M-100 may also be a good option for you

No, I don't have any experience :frowning2:
Just as I told kimvictor : I'm willing to pay $250-$300. Maybe $350, but it has to be a superb sq headphone (for it's price range ofc).
And also, V-Moda headphones are not available around here :frowning2:
Thanks for your advice!

Quote:
Quote:
DT1350 are very good. I've done a review on it. Look on my signature(bottom of my post). They are warm, but not really bassy like V-moda. Here are my recommendations: Momentum(bass), Amperior(bass/treble), DT1350(balance), and MDR-1R(bass/mid).

Well, then maybe I'll go for the Momentum or the DT1350. I'll keep reading some reviews and see if I can get the chance to try them in a Showroom or something.
Or maybe I'll buy some cheaper headphones for travelling (Senns HD 215 / 280 /360) and later on some nice open ones to use at home. What can you recommend me in that price range? AFAIK open cans have beter sq, right?  
Thanks a lot for your help.

Honestly, the Beyer DT1350 is a solid rec.  There is no shortage of people who find it extremely competent (Jude, Tyll, and of course kimvictor).  My personal tastes tend to lean more toward the Amperior as I like that bit of brightness and airyness at the top.  But for your needs, something balanced (and maybe even a bit laid-back and forgiving) is probably the better way to go.

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #5,297 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for an IEM around the $50 range new, used or refurb that can do a decent job with vocals.  Looking at AKG Q350 or Ety MC5.  What else should I look at?

Before I say anything, let me just say that I'm a bit of an AKG fanboy.  Having gotten that out there, regarding the Q350... NO.  I haven't heard the MC5, but my UE600 does a fantastic job with vocals.  It's on sale at Amazon for only $50 right now.

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #5,298 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys, I currently own the Ultrasone Pro 900 and love the extreme bass and clarity that it provides - they are slightly sibilant, but I can look past that. They aren't as portable as what I was thinking when I bought them, I really enjoy listening to them but they aren't very portable. I'd just like a highly portable/rugged in ear solution that is of similar sound signature (and if it is not, one that has strong enough drivers to amp the sound to be able to handle bass without distortion). I have a homemade DIY budget DAC/Amp rig I carry around with me so amping is definitely possible. Budget is ~$200 but the more I spend, the more I want to be sure that it is of better build quality as well as sound quality so I don't destroy them taking them everywhere I go (gym, work, everyday life etc). I'm currently looking at the Shure SE215LTD, but the price just skyrocketed on them for some reason and I am hoping there is either better or I should wait to get them. Any advice? Thanks in advance. 

Would you be interested in selling your Pro 900 to finance an Amperior?  That would pretty solve your problems I think. 
smile.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #5,299 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey there everyone, I have asked for a recommendation for an IEM about a week ago and thing is my budget has gone up to 150$ from 100$.
Because of this blessed event :p I will need a new recommendation for an IEM.

I listen to a wide veriaty of music, from rap to rock, jazz, vocal, dubstep, electronic etc.
I don't fully know which sound timbre I'm looking for but I usually listen to rock,jazz vocal and some soundtracks more then I listen to electronic and rap.
I do like a good bass, doesn't have to have a large quantity of bass but I do like to have a punchy bass.
Last but not least, Presentation is a key aspect for me, so I would like an IEM with a good Presentation, I know that is not such a common thing in IEM's but still I've heard there are some wonders out there.

Thanks in advance, Justlog.

Look for used triple fi. You can find one for under $150.

I'm not so keen on buying a used IEM..
Any other option

Why? The housing is sturdy, and the cable is replaceable. Just get new eartips and wipe the housing with antiseptic wipe. But if you don't want to, AT iems like cubota890 suggested are good as well.

Justlog, the thing that makes this hard is because there aren't a multitude of really great options in the $100~$200 range.  Quite often, most people either stick to the under $100 range, or shoot up the over $250 range.  However, if you can possibly stretch your budget just $25 more, I think kimvictor would be comfortable in saying that the Ortofon E-Q5 would work well for your multi-genre needs.  It's around $175 on Amazon right now.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #5,300 of 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly, the Beyer DT1350 is a solid rec.  There is no shortage of people who find it extremely competent (Jude, Tyll, and of course kimvictor).  My personal tastes tend to lean more toward the Amperior as I like that bit of brightness and airyness at the top.  But for your needs, something balanced (and maybe even a bit laid-back and forgiving) is probably the better way to go.

I've just watched Head-Fi TV Ep004, and between that review and so many recs I think I'm buying DT1350. Though they'll have to wait, since I'm buying a Pearl Travel Conga in a few days. But now I know what to buy.

One more question, regarding amps. I've heard that DT1350 sq improves with external amplification. I'm planning on using them with my iPod classic with no amp. Will I be wasting the headphones' potential?

Thanks everyone for your help

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #5,301 of 5,364
Quote:
One more question, regarding amps. I've heard that DT1350 sq improves with external amplification. I'm planning on using them with my iPod classic with no amp. Will I be wasting the headphones' potential?

I would hold off.  There's no need to rush out and buy a can/amp combo right from the start.  Spend some time with them first to see if your happy.  Then, if you want, start a new search for an amp that pairs well - not only with the DT1350 - but also whatever future cans you might have on your list. 
smile.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #5,302 of 5,364
Quote:

I would hold off.  There's no need to rush out and buy a can/amp combo right from the start.  Spend some time with them first to see if your happy.  Then, if you want, start a new search for an amp that pairs well - not only with the DT1350 - but also whatever future cans you might have on your list. 
smile.gif

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Even though I don't think I'm gonna buy more headphones (Cause they cost half my salary) it makes sense to use them without an amp for a while. Anyways, I'd like to know if using them that way I'd waste the headphones' potential.

Thanks!

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #5,303 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for an IEM around the $50 range new, used or refurb that can do a decent job with vocals.  Looking at AKG Q350 or Ety MC5.  What else should I look at?

MC5 have awesome clarity as well as vocal and treble. If you like clean sound, go for MC5.
Quote:
Hi guys, I currently own the Ultrasone Pro 900 and love the extreme bass and clarity that it provides - they are slightly sibilant, but I can look past that. They aren't as portable as what I was thinking when I bought them, I really enjoy listening to them but they aren't very portable. I'd just like a highly portable/rugged in ear solution that is of similar sound signature (and if it is not, one that has strong enough drivers to amp the sound to be able to handle bass without distortion). I have a homemade DIY budget DAC/Amp rig I carry around with me so amping is definitely possible. Budget is ~$200 but the more I spend, the more I want to be sure that it is of better build quality as well as sound quality so I don't destroy them taking them everywhere I go (gym, work, everyday life etc). I'm currently looking at the Shure SE215LTD, but the price just skyrocketed on them for some reason and I am hoping there is either better or I should wait to get them. Any advice? Thanks in advance. 

How much does the SE215LTD cost now?
Quote:

Well, then maybe I'll go for the Momentum or the DT1350. I'll keep reading some reviews and see if I can get the chance to try them in a Showroom or something.
Or maybe I'll buy some cheaper headphones for travelling (Senns HD 215 / 280 /360) and later on some nice open ones to use at home. What can you recommend me in that price range? AFAIK open cans have beter sq, right?  
Thanks a lot for your help.

Open cans don't always have better SQ. If you see my multi hp review(on my sig), I rate the SRH940(closed) higher than HD598(open). I would go for DT1350 instead of getting a cheap travel phone, because if you buy good home phone, you never want to use your portable phone.
Quote:
First of all, kimvictor, I just gotta say
beerchug.gif

Anytime. 
beyersmile.png

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #5,304 of 5,364
Quote:

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Even though I don't think I'm gonna buy more headphones (Cause they cost half my salary) it makes sense to use them without an amp for a while. Anyways, I'd like to know if using them that way I'd waste the headphones' potential.

Thanks!

They are decent with out amp, but with my Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII, they bloom. They are fine to be used unamped.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #5,305 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
smile.gif

Thanks!

I don't actually have them so I can't say.  But I believe that DT1350s are low impedance/high sensitivity cans, so you shouldn't have any problem just driving them from your portable device.  I'm no sure though, so let's see what kimvictor says when he gets back (as I believe he owns them). 

EDIT:  Oops, like ships passing in the night...

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #5,306 of 5,364
I need help with finding my some on ear cans - I'm looking for good isolation, comfort, and durability 
as far as sound goes, I like a lush sound, present tight bass, with clear highs and upper mids, no sibilance, and no fatigue 
I listen to a lot of EDM, jazz, and rock, as well some pop and occasionally symphonic orchestral stuff.
generally, i'm looking for an all purpose headphone that is portable and isolates well - my price range is about 100$
i've looked at the logitech UE4000, the akg k450s, and the noontech Zoros, but i've seen negative stuff on all of them - Thanks for the help 
dt880smile.png

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #5,307 of 5,364
Quote:
I need help with finding my some on ear cans - I'm looking for good isolation, comfort, and durability 
as far as sound goes, I like a lush sound, present tight bass, with clear highs and upper mids, no sibilance, and no fatigue 
I listen to a lot of EDM, jazz, and rock, as well some pop and occasionally symphonic orchestral stuff.
generally, i'm looking for an all purpose headphone that is portable and isolates well - my price range is about 100$
i've looked at the logitech UE4000, the akg k450s, and the noontech Zoros, but i've seen negative stuff on all of them - Thanks for the help 
dt880smile.png

For edm and rock, I heard that sony v6/7506 is good. I'm receiving a v6 on wednesday, so I'll tell you how it is. Only hp I heard out the of the ones you listed are UE4000, which I found to have tad too much bass and it may not be so good for jazz.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #5,308 of 5,364
Quote:

I don't actually have them so I can't say.  But I believe that DT1350s are low impedance/high sensitivity cans, so you shouldn't have any problem just driving them from your portable device.  I'm no sure though, so let's see what kimvictor says when he gets back (as I believe he owns them). 

EDIT:  Oops, like ships passing in the night...

I'm too quick!
L3000.gif

Anyways, I thought I might put this out there: DT1350 pairs well with sansa clip zip.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #5,309 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm too quick!
L3000.gif

Anyways, I thought I might put this out there: DT1350 pairs well with sansa clip zip.

I wonder how the DT1350 pairs with the (rockboxed) clip zip and C&C BH? Actually, I don't want to know! (I'm sure the answer would be "awesome", and then resistance would be futile!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back