Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 13, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #4,381 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi folks, 
my desktop setup is Bifrost -> Lyr -> HE500 
I like this setup for most applications but sometimes I need isolation. I was wondering if there are any high impedance low sensitivity IEMs around for me to use with the Lyr. 

I own Westone4 and Shure SE535, but they are both too sensitive and there is a lot of noise floor when attached to Lyr. 

please let me know

VSonic GR07 MK2?

May 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #4,382 of 5,364
Hey everyone, I made an account just to post this, I'm sorry if I sound inexperienced, but i'm really a noob to all of this. In the past I have owned the meelec m9s the meelec r1s, and I currently have the meelec m6s. I use the m6s for working out and wanted to buy 2 other pairs for better sound quality. I'm thinking of one pair for home use (Audio Technica ATH-m50s) and another pair for portable use on the go or on the bus, etc. The m6s are great but I think I can get better sound quality. Since i'm planning on getting the m50s, my budget is about $50 street price, so like 100 retail. I was thinking of the meelectronics a151 as I heard they have armature, but i'm not sure because I heard that they lack in bass. By the way I listen to mostly techno music, but also enjoy all other types of music. So I don't know if I should go with the a151s because they only have a single armature driver, or if I should go with some other ones. I would really like earbud because i need them to be portable, and somewhat durable, although I never plan to run with them. Please send me recommendations as I have practically 0 experience with these types of headphones. I am open to any headphones, and if it's really worth it, I could save up more money and go with some up to 75 street price. So should I get the a151s, even though they don't have that much bass, or should I go with some nice bassy headphones, if so, what headphones would yall recommend that have some nice bass? Thanks in advance.

May 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #4,383 of 5,364
I made a post a couple days ago and was almost sure of buying the jvc S500, but turns out they take 4 to 5 days more to arrive from amazon and I can't afford that delay, so I was hoping if anybody could recommend me another portable headphone for 50 dollars max, thanks

May 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #4,384 of 5,364
May 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #4,386 of 5,364
The cord on my old sennheiser PMX 200s broke and my attempt at repair resulted in unbearable sound quality.  This is what I'm ideally looking for in new headphones:

- Ideal for exercise and outside work.  The less I have to worry about them, the better.
- Behind-the-neck design.  I'm skeptical of in-ear types because my experience with those is that they always get yanked out--especially when I'm working (I'm out of the office now, so I'm talking outside, manual labor), but I'm open to "work-arounds" for this issue (not so sure that a simple clip will solve the problem).
- Closed-construction
- Wired and No batteries
- Some way to block out disruption caused by the wind

I'm only looking for decent sound, so I'm not interested in anything ultra pricey (I'd like to keep it below $100).  And I'm not sure if this info is helpful, but I mostly just listen to audiobooks and deep house.

May 13, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #4,387 of 5,364
I'm looking to buy a new set of in-ear headphones after my last purchase of the XE200 pro which just now broke (and I also hated the J-cord) and the other pair from Xears TM4 which broke very early on.

I've been looking at 3 in particular and wonder if I can get anyone's advice on them or other possibilities in the $50 range:

VSonic VC02
Astrotec AM-800
Astrotec AM-900.

May 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #4,388 of 5,364
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to this field and hold little to none experiences or knowledge.

Well, for now, I'm using a 1 to 2 years old xba 1 and wish to have an upgrade over it since it's cord is barely connected (thanks to my playful cat, but it still manage to provide full sound experience for few months and still doing fine.) and overally my ears started to become more and more picky. I love xba 1, but I think it's time for it to have a rest.

Here is some information that I could provide. I ain't sure which of them are useful or not but, I'll just try.

Music player :
Android phone (Sony Xperia Miro) with ttpod music player apps
Type of music / songs I listened :
Fully instrumental, chanting, environmental, ambient
Genre of music / songs :
Post-Rock, soft, tranquil, eerie, nature, a tiny bit of rock and pop
Sample of music :
Stella by Kashiwa Daisuke
Kioku from Yosuga no Sora anime OST
Hope of Dawn from .hack//G.U. OST

Personally, I did a little "research" and I have Xba 40 in mind. So...is it alright to upgrade to that version with all of the information I provided or there's other alternatives which could be considered within the same price range?

Thanks!

May 13, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #4,389 of 5,364
Hello all!
I'm looking at getting a custom IEM for primarily classical, jazz, folk, and alternative. I prefere a neutral signature, but don't mind a warmer sound-signature if it doesn't compromise detail. My budget is in the $600 range and I can't afford to step up to the $900ish area. I'm currently looking at the 1964 Ear's V-6 and the UM Mage. I would love a recommendation between them or something else in the same price range. I'll be driving the CIEM's from a Hifiman 601.
Many thanks for any help and advice. :)

May 14, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #4,390 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi folks, 
my desktop setup is Bifrost -> Lyr -> HE500 
I like this setup for most applications but sometimes I need isolation. I was wondering if there are any high impedance low sensitivity IEMs around for me to use with the Lyr. 

I own Westone4 and Shure SE535, but they are both too sensitive and there is a lot of noise floor when attached to Lyr. 

please let me know

Wait, do you like the W4 and SE535 otherwise?  Because, instead of buying new IEMs, you can try using an impedance adapter.  Here's something from my buddy WiR3D that should help:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/601669/impedance-adapters-cables-explained-listed

Quote:
I'm thinking of one pair for home use (Audio Technica ATH-m50s) and another pair for portable use on the go or on the bus, etc.

Yeah, if the M50 is going to be your main set of cans, and you want to have a mobile counterpart to that, I'd pretty much stop looking at BAs right now (at least within your price range).  I would simply say, get the M50 for home, and get an RHA MA350 for the road (or MA450i if you need iDevice controls).

May 14, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #4,391 of 5,364
Quote:
I made a post a couple days ago and was almost sure of buying the jvc S500, but turns out they take 4 to 5 days more to arrive from amazon and I can't afford that delay, so I was hoping if anybody could recommend me another portable headphone for 50 dollars max, thanks

Well, there's the S400 (haven't heard it BTW) that can ship immediately and save you a few bucks.  Of course, there's always the K81DJ/K518LE option from before (just remember that it's not for large heads).  Any last minute suggestions TwinQY?

May 14, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #4,392 of 5,364
Help choosing the right fullsize and IEM for me
the source will be either govibe magnum or the ak100
I am searching for the fullsize and iem equivalent of the DT1350 (this thing paired really well with the ak100 for some odd reason)
budget price is well how about we start 450 bucks on each ? Budget is pretty flexible

I don't think I want anything neutral or flat , as I generally hate the sound of the headphone described as so previously
so any help?

May 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #4,393 of 5,364
Hello guys/gals.

I posted the following in another thread and was wondering about your input:

Quote:
Arrrghhh... all this talk about IEMs (and Shure, one of my favorite brands coming up with their flagship) is making me seriously consider getting a few! The thing is... the thing is... ugh, I find it so nasty inserting that "stuff" in my ear! I mean, it's not like I haven't used earbuds/IEMs/etc. before, but that doesn't mean I like them! LOL. I just find them, weird! I clean my ears at least 3 times a week and I still feel weird when using my cheapo-Sony buds when I play Vita or listen to my PCM10 recordings... So I don't know what I will be able to do to get into IEMs.

Are there any good IEMs to start that sound similar to:

MrSpeakers Mad Dogs
Ultrasone Signature Pro/DJs
Denon D5000
Sennheiser HD600s/Shure SRH1840s

????

More important, I see I always use the small/medium sized tips, how are the comfort levels on most IEMs?
Do they vary by a whole lot?

Any guidance is appreciated.

BTW, they will probably be used with my Phone (Lumia 820), Vita, Sony PCM recorder, and Cowon C2 and Schiit Magni) :wink:

Thanks.

May 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #4,394 of 5,364
gelocks, have you tried the RE-400 yet?

May 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #4,395 of 5,364
Quote:
gelocks, have you tried the RE-400 yet?

Nope.
Saw a couple of reviews on it and it seems that for $100 is a real player in the "neutral but kind of warm" camp. Do you know if it's at least a bit similar to the list I posted? Based on the reviews I think it COULD sound like the modded T50RPs (Mad Dogs or Paradox...). If that's the case, I would try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back