Buying Old Models?
May 22, 2020 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ChoColostrum

Head-Fier
Is it worth it to buy a headphone/iem with $2k srp the time they're launched if it is worth below $1k? or is it better to buy $1k phones now?

May 22, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 11
I don't think there's a universal answer, it's gonna depend model by model, some will still be worth the reduced cost while others might best be avoided, either because they've been surpassed by newer, cheaper options or because there might be long-term ownership issues in terms of durability or issues getting replacements for wear parts like earpads

May 22, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 11
how about the flagships from 10 years ago? I am not quite sure how fast technology improves compared to let's say cellphones and other stuff. It's hard to gauge, since I bought a 70's/80's vintage headphone and sounded utter crap. pre-2010's high end would still give today's mid tier a run for their money yes?

May 22, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 11
Dynamic headphones have not changed that much although there have been some like HD 800 that did.

Planars are a lot better now than 10 years ago. Some 70s and 80s headphones are very good. There is crap in every decade and price range.

May 22, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 11
how about the flagships from 10 years ago? I am not quite sure how fast technology improves compared to let's say cellphones and other stuff. It's hard to gauge, since I bought a 70's/80's vintage headphone and sounded utter crap. pre-2010's high end would still give today's mid tier a run for their money yes?

Yeah, I know there are some vintage headphone fans on this site but in my personal experience 70s headphones are crap outside of a few models that mostly still need some level of modification or system matching that just isn't worth it. The 80s are a bit better but still hit or miss and I'd personally avoid, again outside a few models. But yeah, the 90s, the oughts and early 2010s are still very relevant generally speaking

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #6 of 11
Dynamic headphones have not changed that much although there have been some like HD 800 that did.

Planars are a lot better now than 10 years ago. Some 70s and 80s headphones are very good. There is crap in every decade and price range.

So I better be specific, the Koss Portapro is still worth buying now? even if (to my knowledge) it hasn't been updated in years?

May 22, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 11
Yeah, I know there are some vintage headphone fans on this site but in my personal experience 70s headphones are crap outside of a few models that mostly still need some level of modification or system matching that just isn't worth it. The 80s are a bit better but still hit or miss and I'd personally avoid, again outside a few models. But yeah, the oughts and early 2010s are still very relevant generally speaking

Oh I forgot vintage headphones got a niche, I'm sorry I did not mean to offend any of those vintage headphone lovers, maybe I just bought a really crappy one. (Nordmende #109)

May 23, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 11
Tried my Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's last night for the first time in quite a while and I have to say that they still sound great. Good sound is good sound - as long as it works ok and you like the sound quality, I wouldn't let the age of something stop me buying (at the right price of course).

I don't think the same can be said for portable playback electronics though (full size can still sound good though).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back