Buying new laptop, have some questions.
Feb 22, 2012 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Skidood

New Head-Fier
Hi Group.

I just discovered this forum and quickly realized I will be spending a lot of time here in the future.
OK, here we go.  I'm an audiophile and will be using my new laptop as a music source all the time. I will be using both headphones and my NAD integrated amp.
 I suspect this will require buying a DAC,  although I sincerely doubt I will be spending more than $600 US on it.

1.  One laptop I looked at had Dolby Audio v2.  The price was reasonable as well.  Does anyone know if programs like Dolby or Beats Audio actually modify the digital signal going thru USB to my DAC?  Or do they only affect the analog (headphone) output ?

2. The sales guy said that nowadays, on mid-range or better laptops, the headphone jack essentialy functions as a line-out as well.  Was I right to chuckle inside at this?  Im sure the quality of the sound would be severly affected...

3.  What can you suggest as a good choice for a DAC under $600.00 US with a built in headphone amp (with lots of gain..or something that can drive lower-impedance headphones)

Many thanks to you in advance from Canada. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 15
2.  Headphone out and line-out call for different output impedance and voltage/current levels.  The salesman apparently has no knowledge of this fundamental differences.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 15
Skidood, I'm in the same dillema. I've been looking to replace my 5-year old toshiba Satellite which is barely running thanks to XFCE's light system resource usage. Windows7 would be murder on this poor old dog.

I've spied the Thinkpad X220 and the T420 as possible replacements, but they don't really have audio as a priority, so i'll be looking at the new ASUS Essence ONE unit. I want to have a good combined DAC/amp unit and not deal with system matching etc.

It can be said that Macbook Pros are the best bet for audio, as the headphone out port on those laptops has a hidden SP/DIF optical out, and usually the software backend is well set-up. However, iTunes was the plague sent after the locusts, so that effectively nixes macs for me.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 15
Well, those units are out of my price range...after somewhat exhaustive research and shopping, I ended up buying...ready?  an Acer Aspire 4752...I almost went for a 950 dollar HP pavilion....but decided I didn't need or want a 15.6" screen...mine is a 14" which is easier to lug around, and it has Dolby Pro Audio, which was something I was quite  open to for sure....and its a nice metallic blue-gray.  I've heard that Acer actually earned decent ratings in Consumer Reports.

Cheers.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 15
ALL LAPTOPS other than Macbook's come with crappy amp's and DAC's period. Don't mind the dolby this, high specs this and that. I have a self built computer with a gaming class motherboard..it's specs blow anything audiophile at the price range of $500 out of the water...it ...sucks so bad. it's better than most laptop dac and amp though..which is even sadder.

NAD intergrated amp? what is that?http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers
that? 

do you already have an amp?

basically the course of action right now is to get a DAC and or an amp. there are many choices. A desktop standalone DAC. A desktop DAC and amp combo. A portable standalone DAC(don't know too many portable DAC only thigns out there) and a portable DAC and amp. keep in mind the portable DAC and amp can also be used on your desk with your laptop and then be picked up and brought with you on the go.

i do not know any $600 DAC's and amp's or have heard them so i can't help you there. i can answer general sound science and computer audio questions and help with suggestions; not recommendations. I know the Schiit Bifrost is popular but that's all i can really say.

Good mid class laptop or whatever laptop suits your needs + whatever money left on a DAC and amp is the right course of action. The only computer line that comes with a good DAC and amp standard (and is mass availble; as in known brand) are Mac's and even then, audiophile's still upgrade them. they just come with a good startup kit, something other's don't come with.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
ALL LAPTOPS come with crappy amp's and DAC's period.

Fixed that for you :wink:

Basically, some laptops come with slightly less crappy onboard audio chips, but they're very much the bottom of the barrel, mainly due to manufacturers considering audio as an afterthought.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Fixed that for you :wink:

Basically, some laptops come with slightly less crappy onboard audio chips, but they're very much the bottom of the barrel, mainly due to manufacturers considering audio as an afterthought.

well. you know what i meant. i would call teh cirrus Logic and amp on teh macbook crappy. what the macbook line has is a good starting kit. compared to regular laptops. good. compared to audiophile equipment..it's the kiddy pool. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 15
Yeah, I understand where you're going with that. It's just that onboard audio is so... terrible... *feels sick*

I've tried many different stock and software "enhanced" onboard audio, and they all end up masking the original sound in more or less noticeable ways. And this comes from someone who likes to EQ his audio.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Yeah, I understand where you're going with that. It's just that onboard audio is so... terrible... *feels sick*

I've tried many different stock and software "enhanced" onboard audio, and they all end up masking the original sound in more or less noticeable ways. And this comes from someone who likes to EQ his audio.

if you read my first post.. i said the exact same thing. haha  :D 
gs1000.gif
 (the tone of voice for that comment was sarcastic, some may take it the wrong way, i added a emoticon for kicks and giggles) but yeah. hey dolby this, 192 KHz that. when i was a noob i went and compared it..and it seemed like my onboard sound had specs of thousand dollar equipment..i felt good..i heard it..didn't really think about it

fast forward to audiophile times

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
I just discovered this forum and quickly realized I will be spending a lot of time here in the future.
OK, here we go.  I'm an audiophile and will be using my new laptop as a music source all the time. I will be using both headphones and my NAD integrated amp.
 I suspect this will require buying a DAC,  although I sincerely doubt I will be spending more than $600 US on it.
1.  One laptop I looked at had Dolby Audio v2.  The price was reasonable as well.  Does anyone know if programs like Dolby or Beats Audio actually modify the digital signal going thru USB to my DAC?  Or do they only affect the analog (headphone) output ?
2. The sales guy said that nowadays, on mid-range or better laptops, the headphone jack essentialy functions as a line-out as well.  Was I right to chuckle inside at this?  Im sure the quality of the sound would be severly affected...
3.  What can you suggest as a good choice for a DAC under $600.00 US with a built in headphone amp (with lots of gain..or something that can drive lower-impedance headphones)

Which model NAD integrated amplifier?

How about just getting a Fiio E10 (USB/DAC/Headphone amplifier) and the KRK KNS 8400 headphones, total around $225, should be easy enough to transport around with your Laptop.
You can run a cable from the line out on the E10 to the input on the NAD.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
if you read my first post.. i said the exact same thing. haha  :D 
gs1000.gif
 (the tone of voice for that comment was sarcastic, some may take it the wrong way, i added a emoticon for kicks and giggles) but yeah. hey dolby this, 192 KHz that. when i was a noob i went and compared it..and it seemed like my onboard sound had specs of thousand dollar equipment..i felt good..i heard it..didn't really think about it

fast forward to audiophile times

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?

Hehe. Hey, you can't blame people unaware of things for craving megahurtz :wink:

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #12 of 15
You asked what a NAD integrated amp was....the term integrated is outdated, I admit, and was first used in the early 80s...its just a consumer grade stereo amp for your stack that has multiple RCA inputs for CD, phone, tape  etc.  Some people prefer the term receiver although in my mind, that implies the unit would have a built in tuner.
The NAD unit is in a box right now, so the model isnt freshly imprinted in memory banks, but I think its a 355 BEE...about 3 years old. 
Cheers.

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks...it replaced my 20 yr old Luxman LV-112 which sounded every bit as good as the NAD. The Luxman is still used every day but the balance pot started going open circuit sometimes, couldn't clean it internally so removed it and soldered in resistors to replace it....cant adjust balance now but it does the job for the wife.
For the DAC, I think I will go for the MusicStreamer II+

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Thanks...it replaced my 20 yr old Luxman LV-112 which sounded every bit as good as the NAD. The Luxman is still used every day but the balance pot started going open circuit sometimes, couldn't clean it internally so removed it and soldered in resistors to replace it....cant adjust balance now but it does the job for the wife. For the DAC, I think I will go for the MusicStreamer II+

Couldn't you just have used the "line straight" button to skip the balance pot?
tongue_smile.gif
I just realized I have the exact same amp. I think it powers HD-600's fine, though I have nothing to compare it to. Unfortunately the volume pot is scratchy & has channel balance error so I can't use it as everyday amp :/

Quote:
the term integrated is outdated, I admit, and was first used in the early 80s...its just a consumer grade stereo amp for your stack that has multiple RCA inputs for CD, phone, tape  etc.

Doesn't integrated mean that it has preamp+power amp both built in (?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back