Buying new headphones with christmas money.
Dec 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hirtmic

New Head-Fier
So this Christmas I got a large some of cash and with some if it I am looking at purchasing new headphones. I want to get away from my four year old Dr. Dre  Studios. Plus I regret dropping the $250 on them.

So not really knowing where to look I figured that hear is the first place to ask (due to recommendation from a friend) so here is what I am looking for:

First of the budget: I am willing to spend anywhere for $150-$300 (although I would prefer it to not go past the mid 200 range)

What I will be using these headphones for:
  1. Obviously for listening to music on my phone, laptop and desktop
  2. Also I do mix some music on occasion and DJ some house parties

The DJing part is the big kicker because I would like these headphones to be isolated but its not %100 necessary. It may also be because my roommate does like to blast his country music about 5 hours a day (nothing against it country fans but its the repetition of the same 5 songs that gets to me)

The other thing is I would like some nice base its the one thing I kinda liked about my Beats by Dre. But music that complements my music taste is always nice as well
What I listen to is Rock, Folkrock, Electro (ranging from trance, house, and even some dubstep), metal, classical and hip hop. Although mostly just house and hiphop.

One final thing is using a amp really that necessary for headphones because I was looking to get one for my laptop and phone (Galaxy S3 not Iphone.)

Just share your thoughts! Any thing will help ( I really do not know much about headphones)

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
If I were you I'd look into the V-MODA M-100.

+1, recommended the m-100's to a buddy and he really enjoys them. looking at the upper range of what you're willing to spend though.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 6
In terms of an amp, it really depends on the headphones you use.  There are lots of good choices
that don't require an amp.

To get some other ideas, you might enjoy reading over Joker's thread at http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12  It's a great starting point.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 6
Yeah I have heard alot of good things about the V-MODA M-100s and I really like how you can add a mic since I do game on PC quite often. I am seriously considering just splurging and buying them. I may have to sell my old headphones to get them lol.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 6
since you had the Studios as your previous headphone i would guess that you want some had hitting bass.(some audiophile headphones don't have much bass impact, rather more mellow neutral bass) so as stated above the M100 should be good for you since it is an improvement in everyway. plus its portable, and it looks good when walking around or djing
biggrin.gif

hmm not sure about mic part, there should be 2 wires that come with it, the regular one and one that has control talk and a mic i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back