Buying new headphones over summer. Help appreciated!
Jan 9, 2011 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

yuyu224

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am thinking of buying a new pair of headphones over summer. Right now i have the Bose triports(i bought it because of the hype) and i want something that sound more Neutral, and just better in general. After some searching I came across the Audio Technica ATH M50S. I read that they were really good for the price(Thinking of trying to get one for less than $130) and sounds pretty good. I listen to Pop/Rock/Classic/Instrumental (Guitars), so would this be a good choice for me? I don't really want to pay more than $200 for headphones, so price is kind of important. I also have the uDAC. Would this be able to drive the M50s well? I could use the uDAC as a DAC and get a separate amp if not. Comments/Suggestions are appreciated. THANKS GUYS!

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks! been dying for a reply lol. I'm just not that patient. I've been reading up a bit more and i have another question. So the M50 is closed right? Would that affect the overall sound stage and/or quality? 

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 7
The M50s being closed would affect the sound stage. Due to them being closed, they are less airy sounding. Many people will argue however that the M50 presents a nice wide sound stage for being a closed headphone. The quality won't be affected, it's just a different sound.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 7
M50 is easily a great first purchase. According to many established head-fiers it's a great "gateway drug" to the audiophile world. You'll see it constantly recommended around these parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back