Buying my first amp for 770pro
Apr 18, 2007 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hardstyler

500+ Head-Fier
I just ordered 770pro 80ohm version and I need to decide what amp to buy. I don't have any experience with amps so I need your help. The amp would be used for 80% desktop 20% portable/travel use. My budget is no more than Xenos X1HA-EPC which is $240.

Can someone compare Xenos X1HA-EPC with Total Bithead? I also have a laptop with onboard sound so Total Bithead would be nice to have but if it sounds much worse than Xenos then I'd definitely get Xenos. So which one would you buy for 770pro and are there any other good amps in this price range preferably with a built in DAC? Thanks.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 5
You're in luck. I have seen, lately there have been 2 Portaphiles 2^2 maxxed on the F.S. pages here. Until I had need for home amps to feed much hungrier 'phones, my Darthbeyers ran very nicely from Portaphiles powered by Elpac wallwart. I can attest to the fact that run this way they have all the power to pump out the Darth bass (like speakers, that is where the most power is needed) to its' full capability, and the sonic signature works well with them . One seller on the F.S. even had his available for
IIRC $199 -it surprises me that a sale was not consumated immediately.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 5
The key there is you need the Elpac PS - the Portaphile is a battery hog. But it does sound very good with DT770's.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for your reply guys. It looks like I am gonna order the Xenos for $240. It has so many positive review its hard for me not to buy it. Should be good as my first amp i reckon
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 5
It's a GREAT amp, no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back