Buying laptop without SPDIF. Should I?
Apr 13, 2010 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Silenced

100+ Head-Fier
I am getting a really good deal from a friend on Lenovo laptop. Problem is it has no spdif/optical in/optical out. All it has for audio is a headphone jack(not one which supports spdif like apple's). Will this be limiting in my audio journey? Should I care?

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 20
USB is fine for adding on audiophile components like DACs and headphone amp/DACs. I have always used USB.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 20
you may be limiting it by having to spend more on external components to get the sound you want.

Most laptop headphone outs are pretty poor for listening with a decent pair of headphones. So that leaves you with USB with all it's inherent issues. That being said there are some really nice USB options popping up to get music out form the laptop and they sound pretty darn good. Examples is the Hiface USB interface to connect to an outboard dac, Centrance Dac port, and others.

More importantly is OS and the choice of player, imho

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 20
You will get better sound using a DAC/amp via USB than straight out of the PCs headphone jack. Have a look at products from iBasso, Firestone Audio, HeadRoom for a start.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will get better sound using a DAC/amp via USB than straight out of the PCs headphone jack. Have a look at products from iBasso, Firestone Audio, HeadRoom for a start.

You obviously don't understand. Some PC headphone jacks have a little optical transmitter inside, allowing you to also plug in an optical cable, and output SPDIF from a 'headphone jack'.

To the OP; it won't limit you too much. A lot of devices are USB these days, especially if portability is in mind, and to get the best, you'd really need to go around the onboard optical out anyway.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and to get the best, you'd really need to go around the onboard optical out anyway.

Not if it's a Mac
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not if it's a Mac
wink.gif

No, that was including if it's a Mac. And the OP wasn't getting a Mac. And I hate Macs...

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 20
Buy any laptop/netbook you want...
M2Tech Hiface (& co...) - better than the greater majority of bulit-in outputs or USB connections to DACs.

What matters is the silence of the fans&hard-disk & how clean is the 5V power output of the USB ports.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

No, that was including if it's a Mac. And the OP wasn't getting a Mac. And I hate Macs...

Was considering a mac, but the lackluster recent updates and ridiculous pricing schemes scared me away.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by himynameis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy any laptop/netbook you want...
M2Tech Hiface (& co...) - better than the greater majority of bulit-in outputs or USB connections to DACs.

What matters is the silence of the fans&hard-disk & how clean is the 5V power output of the USB ports.

Correct and yes everything matters

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was considering a mac, but the lackluster recent updates and ridiculous pricing schemes scared me away.

yes they are pricey, but they do audio well and simply. Of course you could go used, but if you like a little less simplicity then definitely grab a MS O/S and have some fun
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes they are pricey, but they do audio well and simply. Of course you could go used, but if you like a little less simplicity then definitely grab a MS O/S and have some fun
bigsmile_face.gif

Even used they are RIDICULOUSLY priced. I like the Mac OS, just not the hardware. Besides, my crappy netbook runs OSX better than a Macbook Air.

Hail to the Hackintosh.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

You obviously don't understand. Some PC headphone jacks have a little optical transmitter inside, allowing you to also plug in an optical cable, and output SPDIF from a 'headphone jack'.

To the OP; it won't limit you too much. A lot of devices are USB these days, especially if portability is in mind, and to get the best, you'd really need to go around the onboard optical out anyway.

Just to clarify, I meant using headphones out of the headphone jack on a PC as opposed to out of a dedicated amp/DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back