Buying an ms1-Should I get a pair of 414 pads?
Oct 9, 2006 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

mattg3

500+ Head-Fier
Decided to go with ms1 rather than igrado or sr60 since I dont like harsh treble of sr60.What are benfits of 414 pad and if I quarter mod them do they bring out the treble which could lead to harshness? Thanks

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 34
MS1 doesn't have sharp highs - they are rather a bit shy. Quartermodded pads help moving the treble to a reasonable amount, and also the details are increased. Using 414s instead of comfies increases the soundscape, but it (slightly) decreases the bass.

Oct 9, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 34
I find that the Grado bowls work well with the MS1. More sense of space. A litlle less bass, but still quite a clout there.

Since the Alessandros are less edgy, using the bowls brings a little more bite back into the sound.

Ian

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 34
My ms-1's are also en route. My only concern is the comfort. I'd like to try different pads, but as I live in Finland I'm having a hard time getting any Grado products shipped here
frown.gif
So can you recommend me some place that ships to Finland or soem alternative pad?

Btw. In the link below there are two sets of Grado pads. Are the soft ones the default pads of MS-1's and the large ones the bowls?

http://www.headphone.com/products/ac...acement-parts/

Can't wait to get my hands on those sweet thingys
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 34
I would recommed getting 2 pairs of 414 pads, and modding one. The sound changes dramatically, and I found myself wanting one set sometimes, the other others.

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 34
I really like the 414s on my MS-1s. I have mine reversed and with my rather smallish ears they fit perfectly, add to the stability and give me excellent comfort.

I find that to my ears they are just a tad brighter sounding than bowls but not by an appreciable amount.

I had even worn them for a couple days on my MS2i but the Wife wanted them back on "Her" MS-1s, so I put the bowls back on!

.....Ok...I put them back on the MS-1s partly cause the kids thought the yellow looked cool on the black MS-1s but looked kinda "goofy" on the aluminum MS2i.
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
I would recommed getting 2 pairs of 414 pads, and modding one. The sound changes dramatically, and I found myself wanting one set sometimes, the other others.

thats what i did

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 34
Woah! This is kind of a bummer!!

So I took my 414s off my MS2i and put them back on the MS-1s and promptly listened to some tunes again on the MS2i with bowls back on and,....uh....hey! This isn't as comfy as I remembered it a couple of days ago!

So I grabbed the MS-1s with the 414s back on and took a listen....aaahh.....that's nice!

Bowls are ok once you get used to them, but might not want to get too used to the 414s reversed and try to go back to bowls a few days later.
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 34
IMHO you should just try the comfies first.
HD414 pads are brighter and less focused sounding.
Bowl pads are the brightest and have the best soundstage.

When I had MS1s I preferred modded HD414 pads for portable use, and bowls at home with my tube amps

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 34
When I received my MS-1s they of course came with comfies; but they kept sliding all over my ears! If I looked down to type they would add new letters into my typing all on their own! They just wouldn't stay in place!
mad.gif

No problem with reversed 414s since my ears would just fall right inside and be locked in place!
smily_headphones1.gif

Bowls work well enough and sound fine with my MS2i, but just aren't quite as comfy as the reversed 414s.

Interestingly...with MY ears(small as they are) I found the reversed 414s to be a tad bit brighter than bowls, on my MS2i. But yes; with a larger soundstage using the bowls!

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 34
Yep, like Kramer mentioned, go with the modded comfies first. Carefully cut a quarter sized hole in them. The result is like day and night for me. This is a good mod for starters because it will prep your listening for HD414 which is much more extended in highs but can be a bit too bright if you try them straight away. I am keeping my modded comfies over HD414 because with them they have that similar traits to unmodded SR60 brightness. I was avoiding SR60 in the first place because of that issue and I have bery sensitive ear to treble.

One good article from Zanth regarding pads on Grados (everyone should read them):
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23193

My modded comfies looked like this:
ComfiesModdedMain.jpg

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 34
When you say reversed 414 do you mean wearing the open part over the ear so ear fits inside but you must have to cut a hole to fit the pad over the phone.Sorry but im a bit confused on this reversed concept and need help Thanks

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
When you say reversed 414 do you mean wearing the open part over the ear so ear fits inside but you must have to cut a hole to fit the pad over the phone.Sorry but im a bit confused on this reversed concept and need help Thanks

Yeah; that's basically it. What you do is cut a hole in the closed side and mount that new hole over the housing. When I did it the new hole was just the right size(a tight fit)so that when installed the pads looked like "><"(but without the points) so that there was a nice thick comfy layer of foam that is quite a bit thicker than the "normal" side which helps keep the ears away from the screen and, for my smaller ears, gave me a nice set of pads for my ears to just Snuggle Right Into!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back