Buying an MP3 Player tomorow - Ipod vs Zune vs others
Apr 18, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #31 of 42
Dunno. Some dude was talking about using his Best Buy replacement plan to get a newer iPod if one comes out this year (he bought a 5.5G 30GB). Seemed to check out fine, and so it stuck in my head.

Of course once a newer replacement comes out all you have to do is wait for old stock to clear out.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #32 of 42
They said that's only if the previous model is discontinued and if it's broken. I guess he's counting on them discontinuing the 5.5G and his ipod getting into some freak accident.

Order total came to $231.96 with 2-day shipping. Could opted for free shipping but it projected the delivery date to be sometime in May. Just can't wait that long.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by imhungry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but it actually seems like it may be lighter.

its not. its thicker, taller, and heavier.

zune: 4.4" x 2.4" x 0.6" 5.6 ounces
ipod: 4.1" x 2.4" x 0.43" 4.8 ounces

$220 isn't bad. buy.com had it for $209 a week ago, but it doesn't seem like you want to wait for a better deal to come around.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dunno. Some dude was talking about using his Best Buy replacement plan to get a newer iPod if one comes out this year (he bought a 5.5G 30GB). Seemed to check out fine, and so it stuck in my head.

Of course once a newer replacement comes out all you have to do is wait for old stock to clear out.

It involves questioning one's ethics and your current DAP conveniently failing when the time is right

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #35 of 42
I'd really not rather play the waiting game. $220 vs best buy's $250 seemed great to me.

Only thing is BB threw in this free DLO Power Pack that was $35 there. Came with a wall mole charger and a car adapter. Coulda been the better deal.

They only had brown anyway.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #37 of 42
Tonight I had my wife buy me the Zune at Best Buy for my birthday. It came with the free power pack. With the power pack being around 40 bucks i would say that comparing to the cheaper price at Amazon the difference is pretty much a wash and I don't have to wait for delivery. The guy at BB commented that after i told him about the power pack deal, "well, I guess that should help to get people to buy the Zune". Most people, including the sells guys just assume that an iPOD is the only way to go. I'm reaally glad i didn't get an Ipod now! Just wish the Zune was cheaper. I kick myself not jumping fast enough on the $99 toshiba deal!

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #38 of 42
I just purchased a zune over an ipod because after owning two successive generations, the ipod formula feels bland and uninteresting. The current generation is basically the same as what came out in 2001 except with a better and thinner design and video. Zune seems to have character that iPods seemingly lacked from the beginning. If the iPod feels like an Audi TT, the Zune feels like a Mustang. Definitely crude and clumsy but a different kind of fun.

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #39 of 42
^^ Welcome to the Social, you all

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ Welcome to the Social, you all

Worst. slogan. ever. (you don't work for MS, do you?
biggrin.gif
) The most useless feature on that thing. Does anyone actually use that?

And I just noticed your sig Ricardo - why do you use stock buds? You're on Head-fi!!
basshead.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ is a CX300 fine with the zune or should I get something better like Sony EX71 or so ?

Recommend me any earphone (prefers inside the ear) that I could get on ebay or any online store. Price range 25-100 USD. Thanks.

I got my Sony MDR-EX71s a couple of years ago (when black was the only colour) for about £35, which is roughly $70 at current exchange rate. The EX71s are decent budget in-ear 'phones and were a big improvement over the stock buds that came with my iPod, both in terms of comfort and SQ. Of course, when I moved up to my UE sf.5Pros they just blew the EX71s out of the water but that's only to be expected when they cost three times as much.
The EX71s are recommended BUT I will add that everyone who I know who has bought some recently has had problems with the plastic insulation tubing cracking and flaking off. I kinda think that when Sony started making white EX71s (for the iPod crowd) they changed what they're made of. You might want to get a second-hand pair if that's what you choose and I'd make sure they're two years old +. The people I know who had their EX71s fall apart on them weren't able to get anything back from Sony under warranty, even though these faults started only five or six months after they were bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back