Buying a small compact car, what would you choose?
Aug 16, 2005 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
Dodge SX2.0?
Pontiac Pursuit?
Chevrolet Aveo?
Chevrolet Colbalt?
Chevrolet Optra?

No Ford Focus. It must be domestic. So what would you choose? The #1 priority here is reliability. 2nd is cost. Please share info if you have any personal experience or know of any good reviews or surveys.

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 46
Let me make this more clear. It has to be a Chrysler or GM car.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 46
saturn sky
wink.gif

compact, GM built yadda yadda yadda...
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 46
My girlfriends mom drives a cobalt. She seems to like it. I dont drive american cars, though if I did it would be a chevy and NEVER a saturn.

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 46
How about a Ford Civic? Or a Dodge Corolla?

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
if you want a reliable car, why are you looking at american cars?
tongue.gif
'snicker'

Because american cars have come a long way since the late 80's and they're now as reliable as an import, and you get a bonus that when you buy american, the money stays in this part of the world...

Aug 16, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
if you want a reliable car, why are you looking at american cars?
tongue.gif
'snicker'

I have to agree with that one.The only reliable well made American cars I have seen are Hondas(made in Hondas Ohio plant)and Toyotas(made in their Kentucky plant.)I hate to say it but buy American is kind of and outdated concept in this day of multi-international companies.Your Chevy or Chrysler or Ford for that matter may be partly built in Japan or in the caes of Chyrsler, Germany.I think its kind of sad that Americas car companys are laying off workers while Honda and Toyota are putting Americans to work.

Aug 16, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsione1
Let me make this more clear. It has to be a Chrysler or GM car.
smily_headphones1.gif

Darn, that rules out my Mini Cooper suggestion...those things are so cute!

Aug 16, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 46
nothing domestic in the small car range is
1. worth the msrp
2. gets the fuel economy of any of the small Japanese top 3 (toyota, honda, nissan)
3. not nearly as reliable

The Aveo is a Suzuki, it's pretty reliable from what I heard, but it's definatley not worth the asking price
Cobalt is a sunfire, with the ecotech, which has good power for the displacement, yet has to prove it's longevity
the Optra I think is an opel design which is alright

working for a Subsiduary for GM, I'd only buy the non-gm based cars from them lol
I bought a Chevy tracker, as it was made in Cami Canada which is the suzuki designed vitara

in all honesty, only the Trucks from the domestic companies IMO are worth looking at

otherwise Toyota Echo, Corolla, or Matrix are my choices
Can't go wrong with Civic, or accura EL
Nisssan Sentra Spec V is also a great choice
I think if you want a dependable eco-mobile, the Japanese market is the way to go

how many recalls have Gm and Chrystler have had in the last few years especially in regards to their Sunfire/Neons, 2.0's etc...

If it has to be GM, go for the Pontiac Vibe, it IS the toyota Matrix

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #13 of 46
My vote goes to the Honda Civic. Reliable, affordable and gets great mileage. To limit yourself to only domestic choices seems somewhat silly to me.

Aug 16, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Mac
Because american cars have come a long way since the late 80's and they're now as reliable as an import, and you get a bonus that when you buy american, the money stays in this part of the world...

I'm not quite sure that I follow your argument. Many parts of your domestic cars actually come from overseas or some domestic cars are even rebadged foreign cars.
Similarly many foreign companies produce in the US to prevent import tarrifs/quotas/transportation costs/etc.
I don't think buying "domestic" will noticeably help the domestic economy just as buying "foreign" won't hurt it either. It's just a great scapegoat to blame lost jobs and to secure gov't aid in my opinion, but enough about politics.
I actually do think domestic cars have come up in quality, but still rank far behind japanese/korean cars in value for your dollars. Unfortunately german cars have decreased in quality considerably and now are even more expensive to own.

I would also give a nod to the Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla. I really don't despise the Mitsubishi Lancer either or even a Dodge Neon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back