Buying a non balanced headphone amp, still a good idea in 2017 ?
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

XP_98

500+ Head-Fier
Hello
I plan to buy a better headphone amp (I've got the Micromega Myzik) to drive my AKG Q701 (63 ohms), but more, I want to prepare future, planning afterwards to upgrade next year my headphones (expected budget : about 1200 USD / 1000 euros).
As source, I will use my Plenue 2. My budget is about 1200 USD / 1000 euros.

After a little research, the Lehmann Audio Linear seems a good choice, because of his versatility making it able to fit to a wide range of headphones.
But isn't it a mistake to buy today a headphone amp that has no balanced output ?

A challenger in the same price range could be the Cayin IHA-6 (has balanced output).

Thank you for your advices :)

[Edit : I opened the same thread in "Help & recommandation", this one can be moved/merged or canceled]

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 8
Balanced output doesn't automatically guarantee higher performance. I've listened to the iHA-6 from its SE and balanced outs and didn't really detect a huge difference between the two.

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 8
Balanced output doesn't automatically guarantee higher performance. I've listened to the iHA-6 from its SE and balanced outs and didn't really detect a huge difference between the two.
What ??!?? Someone on Head-Fi that hasn't been drinking the "Balanced Headphone Output is always superior & necessary for best results" punch !!!?!!?

It must have more to do with the general sound quality of the source material you normally listen to & the rest of playback chain your listening to, as I completely concur with this. Now if someone were to suggest that using a Balanced Power Isolation Transformer in front of your entire playback system would give you consistently great playback results I would wholeheartedly agree with that .

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 8
I've noticed the biggest differences it makes is for higher impedance headphones.

Basically having the potential to have double the voltage will give you double the headroom, and voltage is what you need to drive high impedance. Lower impedance headphones need current, lower amp output impedance or higher continuous current rates are more important for those it seems.

Some balanced designs do provide some other benefits like reduced noise but not always, depends how the circuit is implemented to achieve background noise/distortion cancellation.

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 8
I like a 4pin xlr more for durability. As to better sound..... meh, balanced isn't a guarantee of an increase in quality, depends on the component's design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back