Buying a new Stax system, but need help to avoid upgraditis
Jan 4, 2008 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Sinsen

100+ Head-Fier
Hello again.

I was looking for a great open phone to use with a GS-1, but then I got to thinking, why not buy I Stax system... I have auditioned a couple of higher-end Staxes, and find that I like them very much.

But, I have a habit of getting bad cases of upgraditis, especially before buying something new, and I do not want to go for the KGSS+Omega II right now
smily_headphones1.gif

So, I think I need to buy something that costs at least a third of this system, or around $1000. Any advice?

Edit: Doing a bit more of reading, I guess the natural choise is the 3050A...

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 17
Then I suggest the following.
In English, since very few understand Norwegian around here...

Drop by Lyric hifi (Scandinavian Stax distributor) and listen to a SRS-3050II system. Stay clear of the Omega II system.
tongue.gif

They ask NOK 11468 (= $2150) for the system. But you can have it for $830 from PriceJapan.com. Imo its one of the greatest deals in the Stax line-up.

Take care!
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 17
Hehe, I have spent a few hours at Lyric, listenging to their phones. I think i tested the 3050 there as well, and, allthough i found the 4040 a bit better, I guess the $500 extra is not really worth it, at least not with my current sources (NAD C542 and a Squeezebox).

The 3050II is the same system at the 3050A right?

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 17
He he! Then you already know the Stax line-up.

Afaik the 3050II and 3050A are identical, except for input voltage.
The 3050A are targeted the Japanese market only, and require 100v input. While the 3050II are the export version and are configured for our local voltage. A simple $40-50 voltage converter (220 -> 100v) is needed to run the 3050A, but its still less than half the price...
Or bargain with Tor, as I know he can lower the price very noticeable.
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 17
I just got a deal from Tor, with a price just 1000 NOK ($180-ish) more than the Japan import prices... picking them up on friday... can't wait.

So, on to search for a USB soundcard
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: hehe, Tor just sent me a mail telling me that his store was open another hour this evening/night, so off I go to pick them up
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 17
Nice price!
You just picked up an SRS-3050II system, right?

Make sure you keep us posted...

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 17
Yes, that's right, the 3050II.

Trying them out right now, and allready I have a question:

Is the output volume of the amp supposed to be this low? I need to crank it up to 12 o clock to really be able to listen at a low-normal volume, and to maybe 2 o clock to reach what I would call a normal listening level...

Edit: Listening in a more quiet environment, comfortable listening volume is 12 o clock, but that's still way higher that I am used to in other amps.

But, when the volume is set, this combo sounds great! it's getting close to midnight in Norway though, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening to work my way through the rest of my benchmark songs
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congrats on the new phones. those first few hours with new gear is always something special.

Oh yes, the only time I can tolerate the sound of styrofoam rubbing against cardboard is while unpacking new gear
biggrin.gif

I am really looking forward to getting home from work tomorrow, and go through my records searching for sonic bliss.

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that's right, the 3050II.

Trying them out right now, and allready I have a question:

Is the output volume of the amp supposed to be this low? I need to crank it up to 12 o clock to really be able to listen at a low-normal volume, and to maybe 2 o clock to reach what I would call a normal listening level...

Edit: Listening in a more quiet environment, comfortable listening volume is 12 o clock, but that's still way higher that I am used to in other amps.

But, when the volume is set, this combo sounds great! it's getting close to midnight in Norway though, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening to work my way through the rest of my benchmark songs
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a 2050II system and made the same observation -- the volume knob is almost always between 12 and 2 when listening. Different phone and amp, but same experience.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seems like you have to turn the knob high up.
At least when I compare to my systems, where I have my SR-007BL & SRM-007t system at 9-9:30 o'clock, and the SR-Lambda Pro & SRM-1/MK2 system at 10:30-11 o'clock.

Different systems though, so it might be just normal. If it sounds great I would not care.

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 17
Don't get wrapped up in where the volume control is, what matters is how loud it can get.

Inexpensive equipment usually is playing as loud as it will go by 12 o'clock. After that it doesn't really get any louder, although it usually starts to distort. The reason for this is that when someone is auditioning cheap stuff at a mass market store they turn it up to 11-12 o'clock and say to themselves "If this is how loud it gets by 12 I can only imagine how loud it will be at 4 o'clock"

Better made equipment tends to incorporate volume controls that have a much more linear response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back