Buying a new headphone for ≈ 600$ ? ( Mainly Alpha dog VS ZMF Vibro )
Sep 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Drazalas

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to ask for your opinions before I make a significant purchase.  I've been looking around for a pretty long while, I mainly narrowed it down to Alpha dogs vs ZMF Vibro, I talked to a couple people on here and I'm still confused so I can't quite make my decision yet. I'm really looking for a fun headphone here, if you have other recommendations, feel free to tell me what you like ! I'd love to read from people who have heard both headphones.

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 13
no experience with either the alpha dogs or zmf vibro, but since you seem interested in planar magnetics under $600, I would like to bring your attention to the he-400i to make things more confusing!! :wink:

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 13
Would recomment a pair of Vmoda M100 if you are looking for a fun headphone, also a big plus is the price( new somewhere around 250$)
I am enjoyimg my :3

The V-Moda M100s would have a very, very different sound signature than your current two closed modded planar magnetic options & my additional open he-400i planar magnetic suggestion.

The M100 definitely has a 'fun' signature, significant bass boost & v-shaped sound sig. Would really be not be considered neutral or linear. Not really in the same class in terms of general sonic performance as the other options, but definitely "fun!" These are dynamic-driver, over-ear, closed, portable mid-fi headphones. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 13
I've heard the M100 and I didn't enjoy them all that much, as for the He-400i, hifiman headphones don't like my head, I usually get uncomfortable after 30 mins - 1 hour of listening time because of the "o" shaped slider. I ended up selling my 5LE because of that issue.

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 13
  I've heard the M100 and I didn't enjoy them all that much, as for the He-400i, hifiman headphones don't like my head, I usually get uncomfortable after 30 mins - 1 hour of listening time because of the "o" shaped slider. I ended up selling my 5LE because of that issue.

hahah since you like custom mod ortho headphones, have you ever read about the paradox slants?

also, fostex is going to be releasing a new version of these old commonly modded headphones, maybe called something along the lines of TH500 RP. maybe wait for those. I think price point is estimated to be $699ish, so right around your ballpark :)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684441/new-fostex-rp-open-backed-planar-magnetic-headphone-th500rp-scheduled-to-be-released-end-of-september/180
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH500RP.shtml

looks reallyyy sexyyy :D

edit: you must have missed out on the new headband design & greatly improved comfort of the new gen he-400i & he-560. completely new headband design.

pretty exciting times for ortho headphones though. seems like a bit of new blood going into it with oppo and now fostex again.

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 13
Don't have much time to read on it right now since I'm out but do they use different drivers at all? They look sexy though.. I might wait and see what happens, I'm sure some reviews will come up sooner or later :wink:.

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 13
  Don't have much time to read on it right now since I'm out but do they use different drivers at all? They look sexy though.. I might wait and see what happens, I'm sure some reviews will come up sooner or later :wink:.

... I feel like they may be the exact same drivers hahah.

but hey! that's exactly what you are looking for with all these custom mod options anyways right? =P

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #10 of 13
Go for Alpha Dog. SQ-wise, its a very very good bang-for-buck magnetic planar. The only cons i can think of is its size (it's massive) and its takes a powerful amp to push it to its best potential. Or get an HE-400i. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back