buying a new HDTV. Need an opinion on VIZIO
Feb 3, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #16 of 30
At my parents' home, I have the same Vizio in my bedroom, while they have a 32" Sony Bravia LCD in their bedroom and a 42" Panasonic Plasma in the living room (the Vizio being the newest, panasonic maybe 2 years ago). I have a ps3 (w/ hdmi) and it looks great on each set including the Vizio; it is definitely a great value. If it will be your only TV and you don't see yourself replacing it within 2-3 years, definitely spring for something a little higher end, otherwise I recommend it.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #17 of 30
i use a 32 VIZIO for my computer monitor and have been maybe a bit over a year now. Works good my setup but i don't really watch any tv. its main use is Internet browsing, music file editing (tags and stuff), some minor video editing, and here and there movies from iTunes...all in all its pretty good.

the only weakness would be my video card on my computer (256mb nvidia something), i tried the hdmi, S-video, and standard computer AGP inputs and stuck with the Standard computer input for now. waiting till Windows 7 comes out soi can build a new system for a larger screen (i would like to go with a 50 then).

My VIZIO gets turned on and off a gillion times a day and has never gave me any issues what so ever. all in all i am happy with it! VIZIO will probably be the brand for the 50 in the next computer setup also!

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any HDTV looks like crap with SD content. You can upscale SDTV all you want but it still will look absolutely terrible.

It was especially terrible- SD on our 108" Sony projection setup looks much cleaner than on her 42" Vizio. I've seen upscaled SD on other HDTVs as well and the Vizio is by far the worst.

SD can actually look just fine on an HDTV if it uses a good scaling algorithm. My grandmother's Vizio isn't even passable.

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was especially terrible- SD on our 108" Sony projection setup looks much cleaner than on her 42" Vizio. I've seen upscaled SD on other HDTVs as well and the Vizio is by far the worst.

SD can actually look just fine on an HDTV if it uses a good scaling algorithm. My grandmother's Vizio isn't even passable.

Correct. It really depends on the internal scaler of the TV on the results you get from SD content. My Pioneer Elite does a very good job with SD content. It's not better than the 480I/P content from DVD, but it certainly isn't unbearable to watch.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #21 of 30
When I was looking at LCD HD tvs VIZIO was def on top of the list because of price.. But then I did research and read reviews Samsung is what I ended up with.. I use a Samsung lcd monitor for my computer and for 4 years have yet to have any problems. The tv is perfect in every way. I highly recommend samsung.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #22 of 30
Vizio are cheap for a reason, Personally I wouln't touch one with a barge pole. They're cheap , but thats about all they have going for them.

Will You Pay a Price By Purchasing a “Tier Three” HDTV? » HDGURU.Com

http://hdguru.com/wp-content/uploads...-125-hdtvs.pdf

Poor waranty support and woeful motion resolution on the Vizios..

Do yourself a favour OP and save up a bit more for a better brand

The Vizio is one of a handful in the tests above that failed a simple deinterlace test (96% passed - the Vizio did not). So if you don't plan to watch anything interlaced.. (like 1080 I - pretty much the standard for HD) then it's not too bad.. but do you really want a TV in the bottom 4%? visually?
confused_face(1).gif

The other set you mention are ALL capable of this basic requirement.. for me The extra hundred bucks or so would definitely be money well spent.. I'd get the Panasonic, for the extra warranty.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #24 of 30
I got my vizio 720p 37" sets (2 of them) 20 months ago for under $500 each. Comparable sets were selling for almost $900 at the time. Both still work perfectly, and they look to my eyes to be every bit as good as any other LCD 37" 720p set I've seen. I got 2 37" tvs for the price of 1. Research the individual model you're looking to buy, and if it's a good deal, go for it. Is it worth it to go for a lesser brand for a 10% savings? Probably not. Is it worth it for a 45% savings? I think so, maybe you don't.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #25 of 30
That's good service BauhausBold, Samsung eh? I'm impressed.

I have a Samsung monitor and It has an awseome picture.

Samsung's definitely a brand on the up, so to speak. Their LED backlit LCD TV is the mutts nuts from what I hear.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #26 of 30
The OP actually purchased a LG (26LG30) about a week ago. I would have suggested a Samsung 260HD, no comparison really. 720P vs. 1080P? Why even ask for suggestions?
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by zx10guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct. It really depends on the internal scaler of the TV on the results you get from SD content. My Pioneer Elite does a very good job with SD content. It's not better than the 480I/P content from DVD, but it certainly isn't unbearable to watch.

We have a great scaler in our Philips, Pixel Plus2 HD, does a outstanding job with SD. It's defeatable too, if you like chunk-o-vision
smily_headphones1.gif

AVS forum is a good place to look for advice too. Lots of passionate voices there for sure.

Ah.. I see this is a moot discussion.. lol Good choice though.. 720 vs 1080 at that resolution is indistinguishable unless you got you nose pressed to the TV aparrently.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #30 of 30
unless your getting a steal on a vizio, id stay away, there are so many deals to be had on big brands right now as they are trying to move their tvs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back