Buying a new CD...then deciding you don't like it
Jan 6, 2008 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

oak3x

500+ Head-Fier
We all have purchased a CD, and after a handful of listens...decided it just isn't what we thought it would be. We are then disappointed. This is especially true for me now, as I am regularly trying to discover / find new music.

Typically, I listen to excerpts from the CD via I-Tunes...then I will purchase from Amazon, CD Universe

When you purchase a CD, and after a bunch of plays decide you don't like it...what do you do:

1. throw it in your CD Collection and chalk it up a a "bad pick"
2. sell it "used" to a local retailer
3. sell it on "e-bay"
4. return it to the retailer, for a refund
5. give it to a friend
6. use it as a coaster
smily_headphones1.gif

Dave

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 23
Sell it on here or eBay.

I've yet to purchase a CD that "wasn't" for me. I read a lot about the artist, and listen online over and over again, to make sure it IS for me. If not, I don't bother with it.

-Nick

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 23
I try to listen as much as possible as well. It's even easier today with a number of retailers that offer the option to preview the CD before purchase.

If I buy a CD in which I later deem something I don't like, I will trade it used to a local retailer for credit. Typically, they will credit me between $3 -$5 per CD. Then I will simply pick a new one to purchase and try

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 23
7. Trade it on LALA.com (or you could use swapacd.com I suppose)

I still can't believe somebody actually wanted my Korn - Unplugged CD.

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
8. Wait and listen: sometimes you'll come to eventually: like I did about quite a lot of artists.

x2 Ive done this a few times, Listened a few times not sure then put it away. Picked it up a couple of weeks later and realy enjoyed it.

If not it ends up in my collection anyway. I should have a good sort out one day and put a few on e-bay.....

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #8 of 23
i generally don't get stuff i don't know that i'll like. i usually do a quick research of them, basically what AMG and wikipedia can tell me, and then i try it out via Ruckus. after that i basically know whether i'll like it enough to buy it, although i have made a few mistakes. the only big one was Peace Sells...but who's buying?. i didn't listen to that one carefully enough and bought it because i loved Rust in peace.

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 23
The biggest mistakes I made in the recent past were Serj Tankians solo album and Megadeths United Abominations. I just cant get into those two albums however hard I try...they are just lying around without any play time.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 23
make sure you like before you buy. The itunes samples usually give a pretty good feel of what the music sounds like. Then if that doesn't satisfy you, you can always do dl the album somehow and see if you like it then.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 23
Listen first online then purchase if I like it. I like having something in my hands for my collection, so I never buy a complete album off itunes or where ever. As I grow an appreciation for good quality audio & equipment, I'm starting to look more for vinyl & cd's as I get older.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #12 of 23
OMG YES! I hate it when that happens
frown.gif

Most CD's that I don't like just go into my collection and are never listened too... But that LALA.com site looks interesting.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 23
Use usually give it to a friend.
...and if nobody want it I just throw it away.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #14 of 23
I usually just keep the CD as part of the collection... Even though I try to listen to it off th websites first, sometimes after a few rounds I don't really like it or it wasn't recorded that well.. But just another one for the pile so to speak...

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all have purchased a CD, and after a handful of listens...decided it just isn't what we thought it would be. We are then disappointed. This is especially true for me now, as I am regularly trying to discover / find new music.

Typically, I listen to excerpts from the CD via I-Tunes...then I will purchase from Amazon, CD Universe

When you purchase a CD, and after a bunch of plays decide you don't like it...what do you do:

1. throw it in your CD Collection and chalk it up a a "bad pick"
2. sell it "used" to a local retailer
3. sell it on "e-bay"
4. return it to the retailer, for a refund
5. give it to a friend
6. use it as a coaster
smily_headphones1.gif

Dave

Of course this has happened to me. I'm 45 years old, so (not to mention vinyl mistakes) my CD collection began WELL before the internet made samples (or dl's) possible. I collected the old-fashioned way -- word-of-mouth, liked what I heard at a friend's house, saw the band live, heard a song on the radio, etc. I've tried to become much more careful with age (listen to samples alot), but mistakes happen
cool.gif
. Plus, since I still go to record stores (great for out of print stuff), I still make plenty of impulse purchases.
tongue.gif

to answer your question, I'll ususally hold onto the CD for a long time, mostly due to laziness/hoarding. I'll check in with it from time to time. If I still hate it, I'll give it to a friend who I think might like it, or wait and trade it in at Other Music or Kim's in NYC. Of course, I'll cherry pick a few tracks for itunes before I really get rid of it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back