Buying a Lunch Box
Feb 11, 2007 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

spacecoyote

100+ Head-Fier
The more I read through these forums the less I know, and since I ,like so many others, am all together new to the tube amp concept I thought the best route for me was to put my question out here in the ether and see if I could score some pointers.
I am trying to find an Eddie Current Lunch Box, I've checked the site but I can't find any ordering info, unlike the EC-01 which has an order form and brochure downloadable from the product page.
The combo I am trying to put together would ultimately be:
Marantz CD5001->Lunch Box->Grado SR225->my noodle. I have everything except the Lunch Box, although my noodle could probobly use some customization. I had initially thought the built-in amp in the player would be sufficient but I am losing some bass response, I guess some would say "low end", from the old jazz recordings and live audience recordings I mainly listen to.
I am open to suggestions and even subliminal implants.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 9
I believe both those amps are ideally suited for high impedance headphones.
I would check with Eddie Current because I do not believe your SR225s would be the best possible match. I would highly recommend the EC-SS. It is really worth the extra cash and Grados sound fantastic with it.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 9
Yeah, I don't think either is particularly suited to drive Grados. I don't see it at the Eddie Current site any longer, but he did offer the EC-DC which allowed you to drive Grados with his amps.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 9
^UE,
when I d/l the order form for the EC-01 there is an option for th EC-DC and an EC-01/DC combo but no other info.
Everyones comments about ohms makes sense when I look at the numbers, but right now that's all they are to me is numbers. I can see that it doesn't match up but I can't figure beyond that. Oh well. Thanx so far to everone's feedback, keep it commin'.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^UE,
when I d/l the order form for the EC-01 there is an option for th EC-DC and an EC-01/DC combo but no other info.
Everyones comments about ohms makes sense when I look at the numbers, but right now that's all they are to me is numbers. I can see that it doesn't match up but I can't figure beyond that. Oh well. Thanx so far to everone's feedback, keep it commin'.

Impedance is the measure of resistance something has to an electric current. Think about pushing a glass across the kitchen counter. The more water in the glass, the more effort you will have to spend to push it.

It's the same thing in the voice coil of the headphones. Some are harder to push than others, and impedance is the measurement of that. It's a lot like a resistor, which is why it's also measured in Ohms.

The impedance isn't just in your headphones. It's also present in the output of an amplifier. When an amp's impedance is higher than what it is pushing, it becomes very difficult for the amp to work correctly.

There are a few other factors at play, like how much power the amp has and the sensitivity of the headphones, but that's it in a nutshell.

You can fix that with EC-DC or other impedance matching devices, but, as you can tell from the order form, you have to pay for it. The Eddie Current products are good ones (I especially love my Cicada speakers) but you might want to consider the EC-SS or a different tube amp for your Grados.

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 9
I should also say that in my usual haste, before I posted in this forum, I ordered a Marantz PM7001 thinking that would be a great solution. Now I am running all over the web trying to gain a definitive perspective so I can cancel the order for the Marantz amp and order something more use-specific that will stil kick up the low end.

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Here are two others that some of you folks are familiar with:
BADA PH-12, Xiansheng 708B
They both have an impedence range that starts low enough for my Grado's.
If I can't make up my mind between the two I will probobly stick with the Marantz PM7001. I just LOVE the look of the Lunch Box so much, I mean, how freakin cool is that thing !!? Plus, I just like saying, "Tubes".

"Asteroid crashed and nothing burned,
but made me wonder...
Do tigers sleep in lily patches?
Do rhinos run from thunder?
I got an ache in my left ear
I felt a twinge but I stil could hear.
what made me think I would not be burned,
But rather give myself to science
I felt that I could help."

Thanx everyone for all of yours...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back