Buying a headphone for guitar
Feb 19, 2009 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Breznikov

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a headphone which I can use to play guitar. Since I often play a bit late in the evening or I just don't want to bother other people I use a headphone. Right now I have a Sony MDR-XD100, which is a very cheap one and thus not very good.

I don't really know what would be the best for this purpose, whether it's better to use Open, Closed or Semi-Open headphones, I don't know. I hope you can help me with that. What I do know is that I want cirum-aural headphones, not supra-aural (which means around the ear and on the ear, right?).

Also I'd like to use the headphones on my computer to watch movies or listen to music. I probably won't use it with my iPod, because there quite big. But it would be a 'pro' if I could.

I'd like to spend less then €100,- on them, and since I'm Dutch, preferably less (
beyersmile.png
). My brother as a Beyerdynamic (old model) with velvet (I believe that's what it's called in English) ear-pads, which feels very good, but other Beyerdynamic headphones are a bit too expensive (DT770 would set me back about €120,-). I have found a few AKG models which are interesting, the K-271 and K-240 to be more precise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 33
What kind of electric guitar style do you normally play?

In my experience, my favourite can for electric guitar (use with amps, and modelling pedals) is the AKG K240 Sextett (the OLDest version of the K240).

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 33
Yes I had this exact same experience, grado's sound great but won't stick on your head haha.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 33
For instruments I would be thinking isolation + relatively neutral.

From there...Sony v6 + velour mod is ~$100. Pretty sure € > $ currently so that'd do you if you can get a supplier. For more €€ I would be thinking Beyer DT150.

Maybe you have different criteria or others can come up with something that fits them better, but that's my 2¢.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 33
I recommend studio/professional headphones from Beyerdynamic or AKG if you are using em to listen to live instruments.

While its great so many audiophiles enjoy AKG headphones, technically AKG headphones are made to be used in the studio for monitoring, djing, and engineering.
Products

Beyerdynamic have two separate series, one for consumer and one for professional. The professional versions are labeled with PRO, makes sense huh?
Headphones

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend studio/professional headphones from Beyerdynamic or AKG if you are using em to listen to live instruments.

While its great so many audiophiles enjoy AKG headphones, technically AKG headphones are made to be used in the studio for monitoring, djing, and engineering.
Products

Beyerdynamic have two separate series, one for consumer and one for professional. The professional versions are labeled with PRO, makes sense huh?
Headphones

Beyerdynamic isn't very good (WITH ROCK). I like my AKG's on my electric. I've heard the SONY V6 does a decent job, it's fairly small.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 33
Pick something comfortable that has good mids/treble. AKG k271 is possible if you find it used (its mainly midrange centric).

You don't really need a headphone that is phenomenally faithful to the tone of your guitar/amp, you just want it to sound pleasant and not bother you when playing if you just want to use it for practice.

(For the record, I did the same drill for a while. HD595 served me really well because it was so freakishly comfortable and midrange oriented).

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok well my reccomendation is the K240 SEXTETT.
See what others say
smily_headphones1.gif

Hah... I hate using the Sextett when playing my bass guitar, it makes even the tiniest bit of finger noise and fret buzz stand out too much.
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 33
I wouldn't focus on something with lots of treble if you're playing with overdrive. Closed has no use - unplugged electric guitar still twangs rather loud.
K240Monitor would suit well. I'm not sure about the newer Studio version, as it seems to have a bit more treble.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah... I hate using the Sextett when playing my bass guitar, it makes even the tiniest bit of finger noise and fret buzz stand out too much.
tongue.gif

I didn't quite catch that he played bass guitar. It sounded excellent on using my electric guitar though.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #13 of 33
I don't play Bass, just 'normal' electric guitar. Often with overdrive/distortion.

Right now I am looking at the AKG K 240 MKII Stereo Studio, it just fits in my budget (slightly over because I have to get it here). The K 271 I looked at previously will be more then €120,- which I think is just a bit too much.

I have also found the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro for about €100,- (again, slightly over when I add shipping costs), but that's not very good for rock I understand? And on the same site there is the DT990 Pro for the same price, a bit less then the DT770. Is that any good for my purpose?

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #15 of 33
Buying a guitar for headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back