Buying a CMoy?
Jan 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GM325i

Head-Fier
Are these little tin can project really amplifiers any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Cmoy-headphone-amp-Opamp2227-Amplifier-/250978487104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6f7bcb40#ht_2120wt_1396

Often they give a parts list such as:

[size=medium] [size=large]Altoids mint Tin[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [size=large] [/size][size=large]Texas Instruments Burr Brown Opamp2227[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [size=large]Alps rk097 10K Potentiometer  with incorporated on/off switch[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [size=large] Aluminum 1/2"  knob[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [size=large]Sealed 3.5MM stereo jacks[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [size=large]Aluminum 3mm LED holder

3mm blue voltage LED
[/size]
[/size]
[size=medium] [size=large]9V battery strap[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [size=large]nichicon 1000uf electrolytic capacitors

BC components 0.1 µF 50-plus volt film caps
[/size]
[/size]
[size=medium] [size=large]10KO 1/4W metal film resistor 
4.75KO 1/4W metal film resistor 
100KO 1/4W metal film resistor 
1KO 1/4W metal film resistor
[/size]
[/size]
[size=medium] [size=large]3m Heat-shrink[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [size=large]Protoboard[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [size=large]New 9v Battery included[/size][/size]

Reviews and description claim that they use the same chips that the expensive brand name amps use But are the quality of the caps and resistors a big issue in the low end pocket amp market?

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Are these little tin can project really amplifiers any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Cmoy-headphone-amp-Opamp2227-Amplifier-/250978487104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6f7bcb40#ht_2120wt_1396

Reviews and description claim that they use the same chips that the expensive brand name amps use.

Indont have the cmoy , many do. I just wanted to addthat while chips r important. It doesnt tell u how things aound really. For example. The wolfson wm8740 is found in dacs from $70 to $400. I do know they r a good beginner amp though. Ill also use my poast as a bump for u. It might be better to change ur thread name to something about cmoys like "buying a cmoy?" or "cmoy question plz"

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the advice. My question is a little after the fact for me since I already own one and I enjoy it. However if there was another option that would serve me better for under $75 I would strongly consider trading in.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. My question is a little after the fact for me since I already own one and I enjoy it. However if there was another option that would serve me better for under $75 I would strongly consider trading in.

There are many amps under that. The popular one's under that in ur range
E11
PA2V2

and a whole slew of other more unknown amps. I don't have those two so i can't tell you. i've been on this section of the forums and i have had to post the same thing on seeing if anyone else would come many times. it seems as of right now on head fi. threads on these sub channels aren't visited by the people that own a lot of stuff anymore. they are mainly on discussion threads and new product threads. the E11's i know/have heard to be a strong contendor here. as well as urs and the pa2v2.i don't know how fiio pairs with grado. i think ur jdlabs fits already. but that's just opinion wised based off nothing. i've been trying to help many people by offering general advice..and bumping..bu tnobody.......sorry man. it's best to go through threads. if you see someone that has it.. and are active (last online) then send them a PM

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 7

if you see someone that has it.. and are active (last online) then send them a PM

Will do!

The main thing I wanted to get out of this thread is to know if members of the hi-fi audiophile community would take an amp like this seriously or view it as just a waste of money on a toy that doesn't really contribute to the listening experience.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:

Will do!

The main thing I wanted to get out of this thread is to know if members of the hi-fi audiophile community would take an amp like this seriously or view it as just a waste of money on a toy that doesn't really contribute to the listening experience.

As a member....I see these so much it's not even funny. I have never heard of someone count the cmoy as a toy. it is a great starting amp from what i know :D...well the E5/E6 is a great starting amp. the cmoy is a great higher than starter amp :D

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 7
I have a CMoy from JDS Labs and love it. I am using it with an iPod Touch, FiiO LOD and my TF10's. The sound really opened up from the iPod alone and if I had to do it again, I'd buy another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back